Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who are way overrated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Michael McIntyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Liam Neeson, the man can't act!

This should convince you otherwise:

IMO, Sebastian Vettel. Great driver, but not the "legend" he's made out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

narddog wrote: »
    Mozart. One or 2 good songs but no great albums, and he never cracked America.

I bet when you see someone working under a desk, you say "if you find a fiver, it's mine".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

ADonoghue wrote: »
    Stephen GERRARD is the only WORLD CLASS PLAYER in the current England Team and I bet many Teams would love to have him , even the horrible "Mankcs" , Rooney couldn't lace his boots a shame the latter was born in Liverpool .

Mohammed Ali was something special promoted boxing to a higher level he was a great ambassador to his sport

Why does Liverpool have a higher winning percentage without him if he is so good?

http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/apr/10/the-question-steven-gerrard-liverpool?cat=football&type=article

http://footballspeak.com/post/2012/08/31/Why-Gerrard-Is-Not-Part-of-Liverpools-Future-.aspx

Actually look at what he does throughout a match. He's brain dead. He wallops passes to no where. He has zero guile, far too awkward and predictable. Bottom line stats don't lie, it cuts through all the bias and human error of judgement. All managers should look at these stats when assessing a player.

Muhammad Ali was an amazing boxer, but not the best of all time. Floyd Mayweather is more talented than he ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

That's not the point I made earlier. I stated that Hawkings is overrated in terms of his scientific achievements and then Biggins twisted what I said. You don't have to tell the entire public what you have discovered in order to get your message across.

If you publish a scientific paper, it gets published (if you're lucky) in peer reviewed journal/magazines/gazettes, not in national newspapers. You're not obliged, nor need, to ring up your local news station to tell them about your discovery unless you feel it's absolutely necessary or you've discovered something absolutely revolutionary.

You simple publish a paper of your discovery, it gets peer reviewed sometimes others might repeat your experiment to make sure it works and once that is done it may be seen by the wider scientific community as valid and if the media gets whiff of it (as it's not just academics who can access peer reviewed journals) and think the public might find it interesting then it might get a mention in a newspaper. It certainly does not mean that what you discovered isn't useful, it just means that the media doesn't find it interesting enough, but most of the time the media is not a proper judge on these matters. You don't get the public to decide what the verdict is in a murder trial.

For instance, if you discovered, say, a way to make computer run faster, the chances of that being mentioned in a newspaper are less than, say, the discovery of an extra planet in the solar system.

In terms of usefulness, the former would arguably be more useful than the latter, but the more interesting in the eyes of the wider public would probably be the discovery of the new planet.

You can see, therefore, the subjectivity of usefulness. The newspaper might view the story about the extra planet as being more interesting and therefore satisfy their readers making it more useful for the newspaper as its more likely to keep them reading, while on the other hand a computer magazine/journal (which mightn't be read by as many people) might view the discovery of a new way to make computers run faster as being more interesting to their readers.

The point is, the media isn't the best gauge of what is actually useful. Therefore fame isn't the best gauge of actual contribution or of its usefulness thereof.

You kind of lost me, but I think I was able to wrap my head around what you were saying- "celebrity scientists" perhaps? Those who know how to tap into the public consciousness so to speak and are able to explain their ideas in terms that the average layman would understand as well as his or her scientific peers, so by your example would I be right in thinking you mean that while Stephen Hawkings theories are notable, there are many scientists whose work goes un-noticed because they would not be seen by the general media as "important" as when Stephen Hawking speaks? In that sense then certainly he is over-rated, but that's just because he knows how to work the media.

It's the same way (if I may borrow your computer analogy), Bill Gates nor Steve Jobs never had an original idea in their lives, so they were massively over-rated in terms of their actual contributions to the world of computers, but the reason you heard so much about them in particular and not the hundreds of researchers and computer programmers that brought their ideas to fruition, is because both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates knew how to market themselves and their vision, to make their vision accessible to a wider audience, the same way Stephen Hawking does.

Certainly they are over-rated, but without them, the average person would not have the understanding of the world around them, or the understanding of computers that we do today, so while their contributions to their actual fields may be of less value than those around them, their contribution to the average person's understanding of these fields should not be under-rated either.

David Attenborough would be another example of one who has not contributed much in the field of research into animal and plant life on earth, but he has contributed much to the average person's understanding of the world around them. This is an example of how one could over-rate him on one level, but equally under-rate him on another level.
    Jasus will you get your own tlittle thread lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Mickey H wrote: »

IMO, Sebastian Vettel. Great driver, but not the "legend" he's made out to be.

Fernando Alonso would be the most overrated F1 driver in recent years.

When he does well it's him, when it goes badly it's the team. 2010 finale pit strategy is perfect example.

His performance alongside Hamilton in the McLaren team put him in his place. So he did what a great driver does - he quit and went back to Renault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

ADonoghue wrote: »
    Stephen GERRARD is the only WORLD CLASS PLAYER in the current England Team and I bet many Teams would love to have him , even the horrible "Mankcs" , Rooney couldn't lace his boots a shame the latter was born in Liverpool .

Mohammed Ali was something special promoted boxing to a higher level he was a great ambassador to his sport

Why does Liverpool have a higher winning percentage without him if he is so good?

http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/apr/10/the-question-steven-gerrard-liverpool?cat=football&type=article

http://footballspeak.com/post/2012/08/31/Why-Gerrard-Is-Not-Part-of-Liverpools-Future-.aspx

Actually look at what he does throughout a match. He's brain dead. He wallops passes to no where. He has zero guile, far too awkward and predictable. Bottom line stats don't lie, it cuts through all the bias and human error of judgement. All managers should look at these stats when assessing a player.

Muhammad Ali was an amazing boxer, but not the best of all time. Floyd Mayweather is more talented than he ever was.
    Floyd Moremoney isn't fit to lace the great man's shoes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Georgia Salpa's boobs...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Ah will ye stop with Georgia Salpa. If you dont think shes hot its time to come out of the closet

areyawell wrote: »
    Ah will ye stop with Georgia Salpa. If you dont think shes hot its time to come out of the closet

I personally don't find her attractive, take off the makeup....average, yeah she's got a killer bod but is a shallow vaccous creature who is self obsessed,

In short a shag...yes,anything else....meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

Halle Berry

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Halle Berry

You mean as an actress I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Jasus will you get your own tlittle thread lads.

say what now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Pulp Fiction and Mary Robinson.

Halle Berry

See Catwoman as proof...in interviews she bragged she didn't care the movie was crap and just pointed out how much money she made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Yer man Sheldon from that sh1te Big bang show.

The character and actor.

Grayditch wrote: »

The character and actor.

Bazinga.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Grayditch wrote: »

The character and actor.

I bloody loathe that show and that character. It's the least funny show on telly. Ye get more laughs from Reeling in the Years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

The Pope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Alicia Keys, her music and screaming hurts my ears, she plays an instrument and makes soulful facial expressions and people think she is amazing.

Steven Gerard, apart from a few inspired moments he has possibly been the worst thing to happen Liverpool in the last 14 years. The statistics prove the awful effect he has on Liverpool. They have a better winning percentage without him, enough said.

Muhammad Ali IMO is overrated, but not by that much.

I find a lot of people from the past who have retired in their profession are overrated.

Muhammed Ali, isn't really overrated in my opinion. I mean, it's not all about his boxing. The guy was an entertainer. A spectacle. Watch When We Were Kings and it's one of the best documentaries out there (comes up in top 10's all the time) - it really shows his stengths, his weaknesses. I'm not sure how you think he is overrated. His boxing skills or his 'celebrity.' I think people like him don't come around very often, though.

I'm not really a boxing fan or any Ali fan. Just basing this on what I see, read in pop-culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Lindsey Lohan. People go on about how she has wasted her talent due to drugs and cite Mean Girls as an expample which was a crap film, shes done bugger all to be proud of on her acting CV e.g. Herbie Goes Bananas and Machete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Emeli Sande has a third version of the song "read all about it" out now. Seriously sing a new feckin song!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera and Celine Dion

Mods here on boards ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭karl_m

1. Personal opinion. Still way above average and you're in the minority if you think otherwise.

2. Love curves and again, personal opinion.

3. When did I say he wasn't good looking? I said he was gay (stereotypically, I know there are plenty of gay guys who don't fit the stereotype) looking. Which is perfectly fine if that's what you're into.

Everything you said was a personal opinion, and everything I said was a personal opinion, whether I am in the minority or not. Also I never said that you said he wasn't good looking, again I just stated an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

karl_m wrote: »
    Everything you said was a personal opinion, and everything I said was a personal opinion, whether I am in the minority or not. Also I never said that you said he wasn't good looking, again I just stated an opinion.

I guess it's hard for some people to comprehend the fact that a man wouldn't want this:
    http://astuteblogger.blogspot.ie/2012/04/irelands-georgia-salpa-guaranteed-not.html

Even my female friends say they'd turn gay for her :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

How Anne Hathaway has conned people to thinking she is an actress and not a caterpillar is beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭karl_m

I guess it's hard for some people to comprehend the fact that a man wouldn't want this:
    http://astuteblogger.blogspot.ie/2012/04/irelands-georgia-salpa-guaranteed-not.html

I'll admit I would be hard pushed to find other lads that don't like her. I guess the fact that I said hello to her one day, (I used to work in the Tivoli where she was supposed to be starring in a Panto) and she completely blanked me and walked on made up my mind. :p

I'll admit I would be hard pushed to find other lads that don't like her. I guess the fact that I said hello to her one day, (I used to work in the Tivoli where she was supposed to be starring in a Panto) and she completely blanked me and walked on made up my mind. :p
    I'm not a fan either, good looking I suppose but her pic is in the dictionary beside the word vacuous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Mickey H wrote: »
    Nope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Fair enough! Agree to disagree so?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

girl2 wrote: »
    Ah botheration. Anyway, buddy, we'll agree to disagree on this one. And the general consensus is that keira is a boy with no boobs :D

General consensus? Keira Knightly is a sexy beeatch. Aim your sights loser cos you'll lose out to Keira every time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Yes I know he had those two great moments as he does some good qualities. But overall he's been disastrous for Liverpool.

Stats don't lie. He has no football brain, he tries far too many 60 yard passes that don't come off. He's simply a bad player who I wouldn't let near most premier league teams.
    You clearly have no idea about football. Probably a Manc or a bitter or maybe a Chelsea fan that now follows City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

wellboy76 wrote: »
    How Anne Hathaway has conned people to thinking she is an actress and not a caterpillar is beyond me

She was one of the best things about The Dark Knight Rises, and she's superb in Brokeback Mountain and Rachels Getting Married. needs to stay away from the romcoms.

Guy Ritchie and all that cockney bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Muhammed Ali, isn't really overrated in my opinion. I mean, it's not all about his boxing. The guy was an entertainer. A spectacle. Watch When We Were Kings and it's one of the best documentaries out there (comes up in top 10's all the time) - it really shows his stengths, his weaknesses. I'm not sure how you think he is overrated. His boxing skills or his 'celebrity.' I think people like him don't come around very often, though.

I'm not really a boxing fan or any Ali fan. Just basing this on what I see, read in pop-culture.

Yeah agree with this. Muhammad Ali was, still is and always will be a legend. He transcended sport and was an icon for much more than boxing.

His sporting prowess was not over rated either. Watch Ali and then go and watch sluggers like tyson or the Klitchko brothers. There is no comparison. He was the best around when heavyweight boxing was awash with greats, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Sonny Liston.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Yeah agree with this. Muhammad Ali was, still is and always will be a legend. He transcended sport and was an icon for much more than boxing.

His sporting prowess was not over rated either. Watch Ali and then go and watch sluggers like tyson or the Klitchko brothers. There is no comparison. He was the best around when heavyweight boxing was awash with greats, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Sonny Liston.
    Agreed.A boxer that was known for having a glass jaw and not the most powerfull punch he ended beating the greatest boxers ever to grace the game. He had a fantastic boxing brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Sex Pistols, most overrated band in history, as manufactured as Boyzone, and Sid Vicious wasnt a punk idol, he was just a cunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Elvis

Sully34 wrote: »
    Yes I know he had those two great moments as he does some good qualities. But overall he's been disastrous for Liverpool.

Stats don't lie. He has no football brain, he tries far too many 60 yard passes that don't come off. He's simply a bad player who I wouldn't let near most premier league teams.
    You clearly have no idea about football. Probably a Manc or a bitter or maybe a Chelsea fan that now follows City

No not a manc, Chelsea or city fan. The stats speak for themselves. Why do
    Liverpool perform win more matches without him? Any world class player should improve the win percentage of a team.

Some players look better than they are and some players worse than they actually are. The stats finds the truth.

He is a huge factor in Liverpool's terrible
    League form over the last decade. I'd also put good money on Liverpool having a better winning percentage with Gerrard not playing in Midfield where he has less ability to cause chaos to the entire team.

• Advertisement

Liverpool perform win more matches without him? Any world class player should improve the win percentage of a team.

Some players look better than they are and some players worse than they actually are. The stats finds the truth.

League form over the last decade. I'd also put good money on Liverpool having a better winning percentage with Gerrard not playing in Midfield where he has less ability to cause chaos to the entire team.
    It was well known rafa never trusted having Gerrard in Midfield. If Alonso played Gerrard would play in a freerole behind the striker and sometimes even out on the wing.

Sully34 wrote: »

It was well known rafa never trusted having Gerrard in Midfield. If Alonso played Gerrard would play in a freerole behind the striker and sometimes even out on the wing.

For good reason he didn't trust him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

He was also an icon of the Civil Rights Movement and the anti-war movement in the US. He provided inspiration to Martin Luther King Jnr and many, many others when he spoke out and refused to be drafted into the army to go to Vietnam with the immortal words, 'No Viet-Cong ever called me a n*gger'.

The man is more than just a sportsman. He's a cultural icon. Not overrated in anyway, in my opinion. He's one of only a handful of famous people I would actually love to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

Since your face. That's why!

I think super furry is overrated with 15 thanks for that stupid reply!

Would say Ringo Starr but I dont think many rated him anyway,nevermind over rate him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Haven't seen anyone say piers morgan yet, theres so much wrong with him i dont know where to start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

this thread smacks of small man syndrome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

lala88 wrote: »
    Haven't seen anyone say piers morgan yet, theres so much wrong with him i dont know where to start!

Overrated as what? An Overrated cunt? No he us an underestimated one- he is even more a cunt than world gives him credit for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Agree with you
    without her looks shes nothing

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 298 ✭✭Tony Soprano.

Giovanni Trapattoni

Advertisement