Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut throat razor

• 09-09-2012 12:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where to buy one in town?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Melion wrote: »
    Does anyone know where to buy one in town?

I think I saw them in Figaro, but you'd be better of going to www.shaving.ie, he has good prices and pretty much always does next day delivery.

He's pretty much all we use over on facial hair and hats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would agree with Source that online is your best option as you would get the same item far far cheaper than what you would pay in Limerick.

If the price difference was only a little more to buy locally I would say buy in the city, but the diufference on shaving gear can be anything from 50% to 100% more to buy in Limerick compared to online.

Muhle are a very good brand to look out for if you want a good quality straight razor (cut throat) without paying a big price.

I use a Muhle safety razor each day along with a few other Muhle products and would swear by their build quality. I have no doubt that their straight razors are of a similarly high build quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

Saw one on display in the window of Retro Man in Denmark Street. I'd price it then check to see how much it is on shaving.ie

They have a great selection and there is also a discount for boards users. (think you type boards.ie into the coupon box on checkout - can't remember if it is 5% or 10% off)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

jesus...logged on there...im bloddy glad i have a beard and dont shave :P costly business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

jesus...logged on there...im bloddy glad i have a beard and dont shave :P costly business

Its actually cheaper in the long run than using a mach 3, out other similar cartridge razor.

• Advertisement

source wrote: »
    Its actually cheaper in the long run than using a mach 3, out other similar cartridge razor.

True.

I suppose a straight razor is pricey to start off with, certainly a lot more than a safety razor but they will last you for life with the proper care.

I bought a Muhle R89 safety and find the shave I get with it using a feather blade is better than anything from the likes of a Mach3. Blades are also a hell of a lot cheaper and the different method has also eliminated my razor burn and ingrown hairs.

I think if more people realised the better shave and cheaper cost in the long run they would all be ditching their Mach3 in droves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Had a cut-throat before (some of them are crazy prices) but
    never got used to it. Had the brush and soap, did not like it.
    Any time there is an antique fair on there's usually
    cut throats you can pick up for under a tenner, very easily damaged,
    I chipped the one I had. (Seen them sell for 150-200 UKP for sets)

I use this now cheap and cheerful:
    http://wilkinsonsword.co.uk/men/showroom/classic

Might invest in a more expensive kit though, got a metal safety razor
    before and did not find it comfortable so may need to look for a bit of
    quality so maybe time to treat myself.

~B

bullets wrote: »
    Had a cut-throat before (some of them are crazy prices) but
    never got used to it. Had the brush and soap, did not like it.
    Any time there is an antique fair on there's usually
    cut throats you can pick up for under a tenner, very easily damaged,
    I chipped the one I had. (Seen them sell for 150-200 UKP for sets)

I use this now cheap and cheerful:
    http://wilkinsonsword.co.uk/men/showroom/classic

Might invest in a more expensive kit though, got a metal safety razor
    before and did not find it comfortable so may need to look for a bit of
    quality so maybe time to treat myself.

~B

If you pick up a safety razor (Merkur,Muhle,Edwin Jagger) and a decent blade for it (Start on Derby or Astra and progress to Feather) and adopt the right shave routine you should notice a huge difference.

There are great video tutorials on youtube, just type in mantic59 for loads of great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kilianv24

I am currently trying to source a Muhle 5/8 straight razor, but having no luck at all, everywhere seems to be out of stock.

A lot of Dovo products out there, can anyone advise where one would find one or if Dovo is good quality?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

try www.amazon.co.uk even cheaper than shaving.ie full sets for great prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

What are the safety razors like for shaving a head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭banie01

+1 on Dave's suggestion of Amazon.(especially Amazon marketplace)
    I picked up an Edwin Jagger DE there, and its where I buy all my shaving blades and accoutrement.
    Its a pity that decent shaving gear is so hard to find locally, even a styptic pencil can be a struggle to find around Limerick at times

Advertisement