Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Didn't complete degree, want to do new course

Options
  • 09-09-2012 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hey everyone, Ive been trawling through different pages and google results for an hour now. I just thought I'd ask here for a clearer answer.
    I went to UCC in 2008 to do a level 8 B.A. I completed 1st and 2nd year. But due to various problems I failed my 3rd year final exams and had to leave Cork so could not even do the repeats.
    So now Im 24 and thankfully life is back sailing smoothly. I work part time in Dublin and get the part time jobseekers. But I would love to go back to college (even part time) as a mature student to study something different.
    I never got a grant for college the first time around, would I be entitled to one now?
    Is there any financial assistance at all to help pay the college fees as its my second time round?
    Also, can I get the third year under the free fee's as I didn't technically complete a third year already?
    Ive been saving for a year but when the fee's are around 5000 a year for the years Ive already done it's really daunting and I don't know if I'd ever be able to do it on my own!
    Thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alltacht

Also, can someone tell me more about the second chance scheme? Are you only eligible if you did one year of college or would I qualify? Do I wait 5 years from the first year which would be next year or 5 years from the 3rd year? I never officially dropped out via paperwork just didnt do the repeats. I had no idea about this scheme if its as good as it sounds ill be over the moon even if I have to wait another few years

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The second chance scheme means you would probably be eligible again 5 years after dropping out.

You wouldn't be eligible for a grant or free fees for years 1 or 2 of a course

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Mango Salsa is right. As it stands now you would be eligible for free fees etc, 5 years from the date you officially left your original course.

So if you left your course in June 2011 for example, your free fees etc would kick in from June 2016.

Advertisement