Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adding French as a Subject

• 09-09-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all

I'm hoping to complete level 3 in French next year with Open University. From what I've read on this site, it seems that the Teaching Council requires a literature component to be completed (which seems to be available from NUIM etc - has anyone done this already - any advice/info would be appreciated).

Just wondering however, the other requisite on the Teaching Council website for langagues is to have spend a period of time in the country. If I don't have this, do you think it is unlikely to obtain recognition from the TC even if I complete the literature element?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

The TC are fairly sticky on most things so I would imagine if it is a requirement on their list to spend time abroad then you must have it, why put it up otherwise. Although not a languages teacher so could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭drvantramp

TC requires that you must spend a minimum of 3 months in that country.
    NB many will have spent at least 12 months on Erasmus year at least..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

drvantramp wrote: »
    TC requires that you must spend a minimum of 3 months in that country.
    NB many will have spent at least 12 months on Erasmus year at least..

For some maybe. What if you studied in the evening like the OP and Erasmus wasn't an option or you were unable to do Erasmus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭drvantramp

absolutely, not intended in that manner.
    simply confirming it is a requirement and mainly highlighting other candidates experience ref: job market (see OP's other post)
    Could achieve 3 months via teaching TEFL, exchanges, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

drvantramp wrote: »
    absolutely, not intended in that manner.
    simply confirming it is a requirement and mainly highlighting other candidates experience ref: job market (see OP's other post)
    Could achieve 3 months via teaching TEFL, exchanges, etc.

I'm aware that it is very important to use the language in the country where the language is the vernacular but what if you didn't have the opportunity to do so? Are they still strict on that? I spoke to the Teaching Council twice regarding this requirement and they told me that the third level qualifications were more important. But as we all know the Teaching Council love moving the goalposts and giving us another hoop to jump through even though there are many unqualifed teachers who seem to have no problem (or conscience). I also have friends who are language teachers - some have been asked to provide proof of residency while others have not. Also someone told me that the erasumus requirement was an option up to a few years ago - that may be wrong - hearsay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement