Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard fault?

Options
  • 09-09-2012 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Not sure if this is in right place but anyway,

Bought a second hand pc over the summer for gaming and worked fine till I tried to turn it on last night, power going to pc, fans whirring but no post. I'm new to this so I didn't want to mess around with the components in case I really feck them up.

I changed the ram around and made sure everything was seated correctly, no loose wires etc. but still nothing but lights and fans coming on and gpu fan running at 100% (I think).

I did as much googling as I could and it seems the most likely scenario is a bad mobo, but before I run out and spend money on a new one I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to check if it really is the mobo or if theres any other likely issues.

Any help really appreciated

specs
    amd phenom quad core 2.3
    3gb ram
    nvidia gt320 1gb
    640 gb hard drive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Have you ruled out the screen or the graphics card?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Dont think its the screen but I have a spare monitor I can dig out and and check it, would it not start up even if there was a problem with the graphics card?

Have just replaced the cmos but still the same thing. The date and time had reset itself twice over the past month so I thought it could be this either.

I'm not getting any beep at the start, just fans and lights.

You said that fans are spinning. It could be booting but you might not be able to see it booting.

If the date and time was resetting, it would indicate a failing motherboard battery (or a failing motherboard, but usually the battery).

If you normally get beeps, then it could be a motherboard issue, but I'd double check the monitor and graphics card all the same. Have you got integrated graphics on the motherboard that you can plug into?

Alright, monitor ruled out. I think theres an integrated graphics card but it will take me a bit of googling to find out how to disconnect current one and reconnect the integrated card. I'll check it out then get back to you. Thanks for the help.

You just need to connect to one of the motherboard video outputs - VGA/HDMI/DVI.
    You may need to take out the graphics card for it to revert to the integrated.

• Advertisement

Ok I'll do that now, I assume if theres a DVI port attatched to the motherboard there must be an integrated graphics card?

Ok started up with other graphics card connected and nothing other than the usual fans and lights, safe to say I need a new motherboard?

That does seem most likely. It could be a PSU but they tend to just mean a dead system. I don't suppose you could borrow one to try it out?

Do you need help picking a new motherboard? It's quite likely that your windows install will be broken with a new motherboard incidentally.

Yes I'm not too sure about compatibility and what type I need. I'm not sure what motherboard I have, it showed up blank under devices drivers, I even downloaded a program to check which motherboard I was using and it wasn't able to tell me. I've not much of a budget unfortunately, do you know if a cheap motherboard would do or is it worth it to just spend an extra few quid to get something more future proof.

I'm starting college tomorrow and I know one of the lads is well up on his pc building so theres a small chance he might have an old motherboard I could borrow.

You'd need the right socket to support your CPU and RAM. Can you open up the case and see if there's any big writing across the centre of the board? Would you happen to know the exact model number of the CPU?

• Advertisement

No writing across the board, only small barcodes with numbers on them. The cpu is amd phenom 2.3ghz quad core (cant remember the rest). I've emailed the chap I bought it from, I reckon he'll remember the exact model number. I'll post tomorrow when I get the full specs. Thanks again Monotype.

The lad I bought it from is not replying so I'm now in this situation, I dont know what motherboard I have or the exact model of my CPU. Does this make it impossible to pick a replacement motherboard? I know its ATX from the layout but after that I'm stumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Marsden wrote: »
    The lad I bought it from is not replying so I'm now in this situation, I dont know what motherboard I have or the exact model of my CPU. Does this make it impossible to pick a replacement motherboard? I know its ATX from the layout but after that I'm stumped.

Take a picture and we can try identify it :)

That's a good idea.

You can identify the CPU by taking off the heatsink and it's written onto the CPU. You'd be needing new thermal paste though.
    You'll actually be needing new thermal for putting the CPU into a new board anyway.

Error 503, wont let me upload picture, any chance you could pm me your email and I'll send it on to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

try upload it to tinypic.com then copy paste the link here

Ye that won't work for me either I'm afraid, I can thank my 0.26 upload speed for that, good oul vodafone. I'll be able to do it tomorrow from me da's. I'll check the CPU model number then too and reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

Dont give up yet...

Did you change the battery yet ?

do the fans start at full speed for a sec, then slow to normal,
    start at full and stay at full,
    or start slow and gradually build ?
    does it power off with start switch ?

find out what(if) the bios reset keys are, and try that.
    does the monitor flicker into power on anytime or stay off? yellow/green light?
    any leds on the MB?

loads more....

Yes I changed the battery and tried reseting the cmos. It starts up with the fans working at normal speed except for the gpu fan which is running at max speed. The leds on the pc are coming on and the monitor is getting some sort of signal I think as its just going black. No colours and its not going to sleep.

Quick question, I've found a loose screw inside pc, I also see a whole in the motherboard where I think it goes. Could this possibly have anything to do with my problem, or am I grasping at straws?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

its possible that it's a necessary grounding, but unlikely.

sure screw it back in and try it out. couldn't hurt.

No-where to screw it, not that I can see. Theres a place on the mobo for a screw but nothing to hold it from behind. I took the board off to see if there was anything behind it but there wasn't. I'm just back from a pc repair centre and they couldn't diagnose the problem, they reckon its a bad mobo but thought it shouldn't be as its newish. They also told me replacing the mobo battery was a waste of time. Theres someone on adverts selling a replacement motherboard cheap so I'm going to buy that and hope for the best. Pain in me nether-regions at this stage!:mad:

Motherboard has been replaced with a new one, the down-side is it still doesn't work, same sh1t different mobo. On the upside the fan on the tower that wasn't working is(a small victory). So its not the GPU, its not the mobo or cmos battery and its not the monitor or monitor cables. Whats left? PSU, I've read this is highly unlikely, or maybe the processor itself, I hope this isn't the case, any input appreciated.

Most of the times when PSUs go, they either start shutting down randomly and just don't start at all. However, sometimes just parts of them break, so you'll have fans working but not the rest. CPUs very rarely break, so the biggest suspect left does seem to be the PSU.

PSU replaced, same story. Am I right in assuming the last thing to try now is the CPU?

We all are terrified to answer, in case it isn't !

However i have seen PSU's go high voltage and take out virtually everything.
    But as you recon the fans are ok, that would lead me to believe Mobo is ok.
    does it do anything different on power up with CPU out ?

whizbang wrote: »
    We all are terrified to answer, in case it isn't !
    Don't worry I'm not planning on hunting down anyone for giving unfruitful advice...yet ;)

Everything seems the same with CPU in or out. I've read that I could test the CPU by turning on the PC without heatsink for 2 seconds and then turning it straight off, if it starts to heat its good, if not its bad. Is this advisable?

Its not really going to tell you anything...
    nearly half a billion transistors, could be just one...!

I'm going to try a new(ish) CPU. Recommend for me please.

Phenom 8650 X3 2.3 ghz (triple core)

or

AMD 6000+ 3.0 ghz (double core)

PC is used soley for gaming.

• Advertisement

What's the motherboard?

And what's the prices?
    They're a few generations old.

Advertisement