Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard fault?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Both €30 and the motherboard is geforce 6100pm-m2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

This?

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=857&CategoryID=1&MenuID=20&LanID=0

I suppose €30 isn't bad. Can you overclock with that motherboard? I'd go the the X3 because of the newer architecture and extra core. It would be nice if you could squeeze a bit more out of it in speed.

Yep thats the one, it was running alright for me with the 2.3 I had so I'll give it a while before I try to overclock it. I dont want to be back to square one, assuming this finally sorts it for me. I'll update when I try the new CPU.

Ok I've got me mits on a cheap (€10) CPU as I've gotten impatient waiting for my new one from Taiwan. I've ordered thermal paste too but it will be at least another week before I recive eiter product. Is it possible to use the cheap processor without applying fresh paste, theres still a fair bit stuck to the heat sink.

As a temporary measure, it might be okay. Keep a sharp eye on temperatures though - on idle, over time and under heavier loads. Try to avoid air bubbles between the heatsink and CPU.

• Advertisement

If I can get to a point where I can see the temperatures I'll be happy. Would a fried CPU have taken out my motherboard too, should I only use the replacement?

It's unlikely that you'd destroy the CPU or board that fast. You could damage a CPU if you put no heatsink on at all. I'd say you'll be alright. Sure hardwaresecrets tried things such as toothpaste and mayonnaise and they got on alright.

Un-funking belivable, I've now replaced the cmos battery, the motherboard, the psu, the cpu and the monitor. Still the same thing. I'm close to building a second PC and still no signs of life other than the same thing I had from the beginning. Apart from taking me own life the only other step I can see is that maybe the old ram isn't compatible with the new motherboard. Is there a way of hooking the pcs hard drive up to my laptop to see if its still functioning?

O.O Sorry about your troubles, you've been quite unfortunate. You'd need an enclosure which you could connect the the laptop with USB. It's very unlikely that it's the hard drive as it should work without it. Unless there's some kind of electrical fault in it. You should be able to boot up if you had the hard drive disconnected if this was the case.

What exactly is it doing now?

Same as before, it powers up and the fans start whirring (at a constant speed) but theres no post. The leds come on too and the CD drive is working. I can hear what I think is the hard drive but I'm not 100%. Power seems to be going to everything including speakers and the monitor (input signal is detected but it quickly goes to sleep).

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    O.O Sorry about your troubles, you've been quite unfortunate.

Thanks Mono, I'm at me wits end. I use the PC for me source of gaming, I even sold me PS3 just to get it. Not a good start to the world of PC gaming.:(

Have you tried your other monitor with your new board?

EDIT: Be sure that you're connected to the graphics card with the monitor and not the motherboard!

Yes I tried both monitors plugged into the motherboard and graphics card but no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Jordan5372

any many sticks of RAM do you have, try taking out one and turn it on.

Jordan5372 wrote: »
    any many sticks of RAM do you have, try taking out one and turn it on.

I have four but I'm only using one while trying it and its the same.

maybe that was in faulty, have you tried each stick in each slot one at a time?

Really are running out of options, unless it is something stupid, like the monitor is on the wrong video channel or something.

You absolute beauty, its running. Problem sorted, bonza! Its the case! I breadboarded it and its booting:D:D:D! How the case stops it from booting I've no idea but at least its working. Now all I need to do is install windows 7 and get a new case. To everybody that gave advice it was greatly appreciated, Monotype, Jordan, Spix, whizbang, teabag your all heros. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

Fair play, you didnt give up!

Btw a little bit of WD40 is the dogs b'x to reuse old thermal paste.

no problem, delighted you got it working :D

I don't however see how a case would stop a computer from booting, only reason i can think of is is that it was grounded properly. Have you got the motherboard on risers and there are no risers touching the middle of the motherboard that are not screwed in.

I was going to suggest the case earlier on, but I thought that you had tried it with your old motherboard, so thought that it couldn't be the... erm... 'case'. At least you got it sorted eventually. Maybe you can salvage some of your spare components and sell them on to make a few euro back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement