Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going on the Run

• 09-09-2012 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Let's say due to unfortunate circumstances, you become a wanted man facing a life sentence by the state or you get caught riding the local mafia boss' wife ....

What country would you flee to in order to stay alive or evade capture ?

I'd probably pick Panama myself just like Michael Scofield and Lincoln Burrows did in prison break.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I wouldn't leave the country is move to Leitrim
    Nothing happens there
    Its last place anyone would look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

The following would be ideal but maybe not sustainable:

Central Africa
    South America
    North Canada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nothing happens there

Leitrim doesn't actually exist outside of a tax write-off. No-one has ever been there and anyone that claims they have is working for the goverment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Nothing happens there

That's pretty much what I'd do. Going off the grid isn't that hard really. You can grow just get a caravan and grow your own food somewhere in a farmers field in exchange for helping him out with the farm and keeping things quiet. If you think he's gonna talk, just kill him, you're supposed to be in jail for 25 years anyway! No time for half measures.

Then you have an entire farm and you just tell the locals your his nephew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Australia.

Big big BIG country.

Pretty easy to just let the country absorb you, you could spend decades in am out back small town working cash in hand jobs in agriculture etc, and stay completely under the radar to the authorities.

Believe me. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

I would declare myslef king of this island and denounce any and all other claims to any power in this island. I would award myslef any land and titles that i see fit. I would promote trusted friends to run my kingdom for me.
    Anyone that trys to despute that i am king will be beheaded.
    Any attempted legal action against me will be view as an act of treason and is punishable by death.

I will never run. The local mafia would only be too glad for me to 'ride the local mafia boss' wife' becouse i am king. It would be their honour.
    And i can't become a wanted man becouse i own all the judges and police and to take action against me will result in beheading.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Many of Ireland's criminals flee to spain. You often overhear dodgy conversations in pubs here too. Even John Gilligan has a pub here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I'm lazy, so I'd just rent out a garage and buy a treadmill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Ghandee wrote: »
    Australia.

Big big BIG country.

Pretty easy to just let the country absorb you, you could spend decades in am out back small town working cash in hand jobs in agriculture etc, and stay completely under the radar to the authorities.

That's where the woman who disappeared in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo ran away to :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

French Foreign Legion if the crime wasn't murder or whatever. If it was they'll hand you over to INTERPOL.

If it was, meh. It's not too hard to live off the grid.

Most fugitives only get caught because they try to visit home or reveal their location to someone in a call, email or whatever.

Cut all ties and leave.

And grow a fugitive beard. Fugitive beards are awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

I'd keep to Europe, you'd stand out less (no sunburned foreigner look with 2 words of local language) and any cover story you cook up would be more plausible. You'd also have your EU passport for any difficulties.

(french foreign legion wouldn't be an option as I'd prefer to die than intensely train every day)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Cuba. Open up a beach bar and tell the locals that I am from Newfoundland, Canada. They have Irish accents there. Throw my pursuers off the scent.

Call the bar O'Che's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

Definitely Germany. I've been told by a lot of people over the years that I possess more of a European accent that an Irish one and more than a few have also commented that I look German by nature. It helps that I have at one point been rather good at the German language, so I'd say it'd definitely be my best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Dean0088 wrote: »
    French Foreign Legion if the crime wasn't murder or whatever. If it was they'll hand you over to INTERPOL.

If it was, meh. It's not too hard to live off the grid.

Most fugitives only get caught because they try to visit home or reveal their location to someone in a call, email or whatever.

Cut all ties and leave.

And grow a fugitive beard. Fugitive beards are awesome.

In the film The Fugitive, Richard Kimble shaves off his beard. He had a fugitive clean-shave...doesn't trip off the tongue easily, does it?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

a pair of glasses and a beared and live in the city and keep the head down, Never go rural because people are to suspicious they love a bit of gossip ( who is your man that move in with famer billy down the road )
    if your not known to the garda and it was your first time in trouble and if your quite of your past you'll never be caught. ffs you'll get lost in ballymun.

IrishAm wrote: »
    Cuba. Open up a beach bar and tell the locals that I am from Newfoundland, Canada. They have Irish accents there. Throw my pursuers off the scent.

Call the bar O'Che's.

You might encounter a problem or two there dude.
    What with Cuba being a communist country, the govt own everything.
    Best you could hope for would be a 49% share in your own bar, as the govt would have to be the 'majority' share holders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

In case of any future antics, I do have one place in mind - but I'm not saying where! :D :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Australia.

Big big BIG country.

In Australia I by chance run into either someone I went to school with, or through conversation someone who I find out is a friend of a friend from back home, about ten times a year. Great idea ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Mainland Europe, Its easy enough to get lost, The hard bit is staying away from Family & friends.

In Australia I by chance run into either someone I went to school with, or through conversation someone who I find out is a friend of a friend from back home, about ten times a year. Great idea ;)

In Sydney are you?

Well, thats understandable, every red haired fair skinned Irish man heads there.

I'm talking of the real , Northern Territory, or Rural WA, off the beaten track, a one horse town with few (maybe none( backpackers/tourists. Places where the farms are bigger than Leinster!

You could live the rest of your life quite happily and uninterrupted as a 'Jackaroo' on a cattle or sheep station, live on site, cash in hand.

(I know a guy!):pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

you could go off the grid in India very easily, ever read Shantaram ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

cade wrote: »
    Definitely Germany. I've been told by a lot of people over the years that I possess more of a European accent that an Irish one and more than a few have also commented that I look German by nature. It helps that I have at one point been rather good at the German language, so I'd say it'd definitely be my best bet.

Like this bloke ?

https://www.google.ie/search?num=10&hl=en&safe=off&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=800&bih=485&q=batch+loaf&oq=batch+loaf&gs_l=img.12..0j0i24l2j0i5i24l5.3410.7839.0.8911.10.10.0.0.0.0.334.1095.8j1j0j1.10.0...0.0...1ac.1.-G0VW95jtX0#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

benwavner wrote: »
    The following would be ideal but maybe not sustainable:

Central Africa
    South America
    North Canada

Yeah, go to North Canada. I think they still pay people to settle there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Did this thread switch on me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

This guy went on the run for 28 years to Sweden (went awol from the USAF and was on a top ten wanted list)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19331209

I'd say it's pretty easy to go off grid with some short preparation depending on what you want and what you consider off the grid- ie living in a hut as a hermit or changing identity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

the canaries....i used to work in tenerife, dodgy dodgy characters over there laying low....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I'd kill the mafia boss, take over and continue riding his misses. Bunch of pussies.

In reality probably the states or another English speaking country so survival might be a bit easier. Cheap ass country with sunshine and sexy women would be nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

df1985 wrote: »
    the canaries....i used to work in tenerife, dodgy dodgy characters over there laying low....

Tenerife would be a lot safer and peaceful if they introduced apartheid there.

Well at least in Playa Des Las Americas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Let's say due to unfortunate circumstances, you become a wanted man facing a life sentence by the state or you get caught riding the local mafia boss' wife ....

What country would you flee to in order to stay alive or evade capture ?

I'd probably pick Panama myself just like Michael Scofield and Lincoln Burrows did in prison break.

I actually know a man this happened to, only it wasn't the mafia - it was triads in Honk Kong, and the head honcho's daughter. It's an interesting story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

The key is to go someplace where they either don't have an extradition treaty with wherever you're running from or offer asylum for the reason you're running. Otherwise, you have to run from both the authorities at home and the authorities in your new country. If you're on the run in Europe, a European Arrest Warrant can be issued, which is valid throughout the EU. Better to be in a country where you don't have to avoid their authorities, you just have to avoid notice from the people looking for you.

-Tyler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

thailand I'd say.
    Can disappear to the north if needed, can live well on not a lot of money.
    I doubt we have an extradition treaty with them if you were ever caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Mexico.

I've had a job where I had to dress in traditional Mexican dress and discuss Mexican history so I would blend seamlessly in.*

*Except for my blindingly white skin and distinct lack of spanish.

Still, think how great the food would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Costa Rica. I speak Spanish, and there are blond haired blue eyed Costa Ricans from Immigration from Poland and Germany after WW2. Its likely the safest in Latin America also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I'd start a new life.. under the sea.

Under the sea,
    Under the sea,
    There'll be no accusations,
    Just friendly crustaceans
    Under the Seeeeeeeeeeeeea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Leitrim doesn't actually exist outside of a tax write-off. No-one has ever been there and anyone that claims they have is working for the goverment.

Isn't that where CuChulain came from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

dermo88 wrote: »
    Costa Rica. I speak Spanish, and there are blond haired blue eyed Costa Ricans from Immigration from Poland and Germany after WW2. Its likely the safest in Latin America also.

Ticas are HOT!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Join the priesthood. No one beats them for hiding people :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

Eh... South Armagh. Spending the remainder of my days working on Slabs farm, chewing straw and writing my memoirs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Vietnam. No extradition treaty and even if you did get caught you could probably bribe your way out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Ok smarty poops, ye've just done the unmentionable, everyone and their cat is looking for you, Gards have an apb out with your picture, quick question- how do you get out of the country? Asuming you've a nautical bent, whipping a boat and setting sail might be a runner, assuming you have fuel and know what you are at. At a pinch, geting onto a ferry might be risky but possible, what would the good people of AH do. Big box and posting yourself to your aunt in camden does not count, btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Australia.

Big big BIG country.

Have they a Property Tax there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Biggins wrote: »
    In case of any future antics, I do have one place in mind - but I'm not saying where! :D :P

The Dail Bar ? It rarely closes and you can mingle with all the other criminals and even run a tab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

If I tell you, they'll know where to look for me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I actually know a man this happened to, only it wasn't the mafia - it was triads in Honk Kong, and the head honcho's daughter. It's an interesting story.

Jesus. Now you're obliged to tell us this interesting story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Pottler wrote: »
    Ok smarty poops, ye've just done the unmentionable, everyone and their cat is looking for you, Gards have an apb out with your picture, quick question- how do you get out of the country? Asuming you've a nautical bent, whipping a boat and setting sail might be a runner, assuming you have fuel and know what you are at. At a pinch, geting onto a ferry might be risky but possible, what would the good people of AH do. Big box and posting yourself to your aunt in camden does not count, btw.

You watch too much TV

The Gardai wouldn't know what an APB was if it got stuck up their hole

Advertisement