Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favouritism

• 09-09-2012 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Just wondering if anyone experiences this kind of thing in their school too...
    So a girl in my year is doing 2 subjects outside of school, and was allowed drop one of her subjects in school in order to study during those class periods. May I also point out that her mother is on the parent's association.
    What's more, another girl was allowed switch Irish classes, and low and behold, her mother is on the parent's association as well.
    Meanwhile, my friend tried to drop one of her subjects as she is also doing another subject outside of school. You could probably guess her mom is not on the parent's association.
    It's this kind of ass-kissing and favouritism that makes me despise our principal. /end rant.
    Anyone else??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

That kind of thing exists everyhwere. It's not just in school. Meaning to put it in a more polite way but you just have to get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 8195_blue

poisonated wrote: »
    That kind of thing exists everyhwere. It's not just in school. Meaning to put it in a more polite way but you just have to get over it.

no **** sherlock. just angry about it is all. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

8195_blue wrote: »
    no **** sherlock. just angry about it is all. :/

You mentioned one case.

Then you mentioned two different cases, with different backgrounds and circumstances.

You can't really compare them, can you?

If there was a direct comparison, your friend might have a case.

You mentioned one case.

Then you mentioned two different cases, with different backgrounds and circumstances.

You can't really compare them, can you?

If there was a direct comparison, your friend might have a case.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that other students were refused the chance to switch classes, whereas that particular student was allowed.
    And I'm not sure I understand what you mean when the two cases aren't comparable. Both students wanted to drop subjects; both were doing subjects outside of school. The only difference was that the student whose mother was on the parent's association was allowed to drop the subject, whereas the student whose mother was not on the parent's association was not allowed. Please do enlighten me as to how these situations are not comparable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The only difference that you know about...

There may be a lot more to this. We certainly can't judge.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    The only difference that you know about...

There may be a lot more to this. We certainly can't judge.

Could you maybe offer some suggestions as to other differences there could be?? I'm not trying to sound snarky, I'm genuinely curious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Could you maybe offer some suggestions as to other differences there could be?? I'm not trying to sound snarky, I'm genuinely curious.

Has the child special needs or a learning difficulty or a medical condition that perhaps is not common knowledge around the school?
    There are lots of things it could be. We haven't enough information to make any call on it.

Then again, it may well be exactly as you suspect and there are many little despots who run schools like that, but we can't say for sure what the story is in this case.

spurious wrote: »
    Has the child special needs or a learning difficulty or a medical condition that perhaps is not common knowledge around the school?
    There are lots of things it could be. We haven't enough information to make any call on it.

Then again, it may well be exactly as you suspect and there are many little despots who run schools like that, but we can't say for sure what the story is in this case.

No special needs whatsoever. I've known this girl since primary school and she receives some of the best grades in our year so she doesn't seem to have any learning difficulties. I know it seems liking I'm judging the situation without knowing enough about it, but trust me I know this girl well enough to know that there are no learning difficulties or special needs. I appreciate your suggestion though. It just irks me that some students are given favourable opportunities and conditions over others for what seems like the sole reason that their parents are on the association.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 KoolAidRelic

she receives some of the best grades in our year

That's probably it. She's also doing TWO subjects outside of school, while the other is doing one.

Often schools feel they have a duty to make a student do as much as possible, in her case they might feel that they trust her enough not to waste those free classes.

That's probably it. She's also doing TWO subjects outside of school, while the other is doing one.

Often schools feel they have a duty to make a student do as much as possible, in her case they might feel that they trust her enough not to waste those free classes.

Fair point. I just think it's completely unfair and ludicrous that one student is refused the same opportunities as another, but that's the way it goes I suppose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement