Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 qualification

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

We must put a stop to this, its not doing them any good. Shove them in a pre qualifier on their own.

100% agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

An incredible strike by Spain's chief genius tonight, Isco gives Spain the lead.

2-0! Busquets with the help of a deflection scores a rare goal.

No more than deserved, Spain's take on 4-4-2 has been very interesting and could be the way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

100% agreed
    Me too.

If you take the UEFA teams from the world ranking and just look at them you will notice that the likes of Moldova and Liechtenstein are close enough to each other.

San Mario and Estonia are a bit further apart and obviously Faeros are well below Greece, who seem to be in free fall.

So in any preliminary competition its likely Liechtenstein, Moldova, San Marino, Faroes and possibly Estonia would be involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The same Estonia that were in the playoffs for the Euros last time? Ok.

3-0, Spain are playing some quite sumptuous stuff against, admittedly, weak opposition. However looking at this 4-4-2 I believe this could be the way for Spain to once again reach the top of world football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

3-0, Spain are playing some quite sumptuous stuff against, admittedly, weak opposition. However looking at this 4-4-2 I believe this could be the way for Spain to once again reach the top of world football.

That and playing Belarus every week.

That and playing Belarus every week.

Like I said, weak opposition yes but chance creation has been the problem for La Roja for a while, this 4-4-2, with the marauding wing backs and the scope for more incisive running and more concerted pressure down the flanks potentially offers the solution to that problem.

The same Estonia that were in the playoffs for the Euros last time? Ok.

Yep that's them.

Just like the same Ireland who beat them

Nothing is static for long.

After the Scotland vs Ireland debacle last night, this 90 minutes of football(!) has been most welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

After the Scotland vs Ireland debacle last night, this 90 minutes of football(!) has been most welcome.

Surprised you didnt take your eyes out with a spoon

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    Surprised you didnt take your eyes out with a spoon

As am I, it was Sunday morning stuff for the most part, ironically highlighted by a brilliant goal. Blood and thunder British football at its absolute worst.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Me too.

If you take the UEFA teams from the world ranking and just look at them you will notice that the likes of Moldova and Liechtenstein are close enough to each other.

San Mario and Estonia are a bit further apart and obviously Faeros are well below Greece, who seem to be in free fall.

So in any preliminary competition its likely Liechtenstein, Moldova, San Marino, Faroes and possibly Estonia would be involved.

Gibraltar? Would consider Georgia for that group too probably ahead of Estonia tbh.

Necrominus wrote: »
    Gibraltar? Would consider Georgia for that group too probably ahead of Estonia tbh.

I was just mentiong those teams because they were the teams involved in the results by Liechtenstein and San Marino and the FI beat Greece.

But any prelem. competition would be based on s matrix of rankings, previous results etc.

As am I, it was Sunday morning stuff for the most part, ironically highlighted by a brilliant goal. Blood and thunder British football at its absolute worst.

A brilliant goal but you'll get that when you defend like that.

The bigger crime is that Britain seems to be the only option for all our talented youngsters.

Dempsey wrote: »
    A brilliant goal but you'll get that when you defend like that.

The bigger crime is that Britain seems to be the only option for all our talented youngsters.

I was saying exactly that only a few weeks ago to a few friends. Why is it no Irish player looks to try for a move to a Spanish club. I genuinely believe you would be better off, in development terms rather than financial, plying your trade for a small Spanish club than you are playing for Stoke or Crystal Palace.

Last night was the final output of a long, outdated system that grabs a hold of you from a young age, eats at your soul until it spits you out when you are capable of whacking a football 60 yards and competing for headers. It's mindless, brainless football that bears no resemblance or relevance to top level football anymore. You look closely at the 22 players last night and what you will see is 22 people that are products of failure, a failed youth development system and a failed football philosophy that has not changed with the times. Occasionally someone will gloriously rise above the hope-sapping philosophy, for us it's Wes Hoolahan. I will readily admit to being one of those on the Hoolahan bandwagon and it isn't because I think he is a talent of Iniesta proportions, it isn't because I think he is the one to lead us to the promise land of World Cup quarter final glory but it's simply because he seems like the only player in the entire squad whose grasped the key football philosophies of passing the football to a teammate in a fashion which they can easily control and that football doesn't have a shot clock, you are allowed to keep the ball. When a nation celebrates so ferociously an individual who understands these basic things you know there's a problem with that nation's approach to football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

I was saying exactly that only a few weeks ago to a few friends. Why is it no Irish player looks to try for a move to a Spanish club. I genuinely believe you would be better off, in development terms rather than financial, plying your trade for a small Spanish club than you are playing for Stoke or Crystal Palace.

Last night was the final output of a long, outdated system that grabs a hold of you from a young age, eats at your soul until it spits you out when you are capable of whacking a football 60 yards and competing for headers. It's mindless, brainless football that bears no resemblance or relevance to top level football anymore. You look closely at the 22 players last night and what you will see is 22 people that are products of failure, a failed youth development system and a failed football philosophy that has not changed with the times. Occasionally someone will gloriously rise above the hope-sapping philosophy, for us it's Wes Hoolahan. I will readily admit to being one of those on the Hoolahan bandwagon and it isn't because I think he is a talent of Iniesta proportions, it isn't because I think he is the one to lead us to the promise land of World Cup quarter final glory but it's simply because he seems like the only player in the entire squad whose grasped the key football philosophies of passing the football to a teammate in a fashion which they can easily control and that football doesn't have a shot clock, you are allowed to keep the ball. When a nation celebrates so ferociously an individual who understands these basic things you know there's a problem with that nation's approach to football.

I presume the language barrier would make some difference. Also a lot of the lesser La Liga have financial difficulties with paying wages so from a players point of view getting payed more and more stability would be a big factor.

Ian Harte played for Levante some years ago and going even further back Liam Buckley played for Racing Santander in the 1980s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_La_Liga_players#Ireland

Full list for you here AIG.

It all comes down to the the Irish language and how it is taught in school. Its so badly done and pointless in the real world that by the time secondary school comes along, alot of kids are put off learning another one or embracing another culture until after they leave school.

In fairness, Charlie Mulgrew tried to dictate the tempo at times and made a different in general. He might aswell been trying to stop the tide coming in. He has a sweet left foot and proven capable of playing equally well in 4 positions. To think Celtic used him as a makeweight to get Lee Naylor!

kksaints wrote: »
    I presume the language barrier would make some difference. Also a lot of the lesser La Liga have financial difficulties with paying wages so from a players point of view getting payed more and more stability would be a big factor.

Ian Harte played for Levante some years ago and going even further back Liam Buckley played for Racing Santander in the 1980s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_La_Liga_players#Ireland

Full list for you here AIG.

Admittedly financial constraints are an issue as scouts for these smaller Spanish clubs would be outnumbered a massive amount in comparison to scouts from British clubs. Language is a reason too though I think that's a cop out, if you really want it then language is something you can work on.

Using a local example, Seani (potentially bad spelling) Maguire who played for Waterford United ended up at West Ham, apparently he's someone with potential and has enough quality that he was signed by a Premier League club. It's that kind of player, at that stage in their career that I feel would be far better off focusing on trying to get a move to Spain or Portugal even if clubs there can't offer the same wages as those in England. I just feel that too often the story is the kid goes to England, doesn't make it at the club that originally signed him and he ends up in League 1 playing a kind of hybrid version of football/rugby.

Admittedly financial constraints are an issue as scouts for these smaller Spanish clubs would be outnumbered a massive amount in comparison to scouts from British clubs. Language is a reason too though I think that's a cop out, if you really want it then language is something you can work on.

Using a local example, Seani (potentially bad spelling) Maguire who played for Waterford United ended up at West Ham, apparently he's someone with potential and has enough quality that he was signed by a Premier League club. It's that kind of player, at that stage in their career that I feel would be far better off focusing on trying to get a move to Spain or Portugal even if clubs there can't offer the same wages as those in England. I just feel that too often the story is the kid goes to England, doesn't make it at the club that originally signed him and he ends up in League 1 playing a kind of hybrid version of football/rugby.

Players like that should also look to join the Glenn Hoddle Academy

He was on loan to Sligo Rovers this season and was poor. He on loan with Accrington Stanley atm.

Agree with you to an extent that a lot of the talented Irish youth players are going to England and are failing. However I believe that as well as Spain and Portugal,Germany should be a country that Irish players should be trying to play in.

Something that should be interesting to see is how the young Scottish player (Ryan Gauld) who joined Sporting Portugal gets on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Great free kick goal for Liechtenstein, they also had a draw with Montenegro a few games ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I agree with what you are saying AIG. Younger Irish players should look at trying to get a move to Spain or Portugal. Surely a season or two getting first team football at a club like Rayo, Cordoba, Levante or even Eibar would be better than 18 months stuck in West Hams Youth Academy or U21 development squad or a year on loan at Clogger Utd in League 1 or 2.

These clubs don't have massive budgets and are looking for talented players on the cheap.

Great free kick goal for Liechtenstein, they also had a draw with Montenegro a few games ago

4 of their 6 remaining matches are at home. The qualification bid is on!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anderson Is God, do you recognise Gibraltar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

3-0, Spain are playing some quite sumptuous stuff against, admittedly, weak opposition.

The only opposition they have been playing "sumptuous" against.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Anderson Is God, do you recognise Gibraltar?

Yes I absolutely do recognize Gibraltar.

Aenaes wrote: »
    The only opposition they have been playing "sumptuous" against.

Give it time and things will fall into place. The prospect of seeing Costa and Iniesta added into that 4-4-2 is mouthwatering. As the Spanish papers are saying this morning, in Isco, Spain have found the messiah for which they were searching.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Seen Ranieri got the bullet from the Greek job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

I see hiddink has said he will quit if holland dont beat latvia today, they've been poor results wise since he came in. Didnt realise he was 68!

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »
    I see hiddink has said he will quit if holland dont beat latvia today, they've been poor results wise since he came in. Didnt realise he was 68!

Why this game what happens if he loses then next. Stupid statement to make by him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'd like to see Wales qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

I'd like to see Wales qualify.

Belgium all over them at the moment.
    Hazard putting on a clinic

Hazard is different class, he gets better every season and, at the moment, he's a match for anyone in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Why this game what happens if he loses then next. Stupid statement to make by him.

Yeah thats true, he is safe for another while anyways they are 3 up at h/t. Robben, rvp and huntelaar with the goals. Very attacking line up from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Wales more than holding their own in this one. All it takes is one piece of magic from Bale and they come out with a win here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I have no idea how Fellaini gets away with half the stuff he does.

should be sent off once every 3 games for his flailing arms and elbows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Hazard is different class, he gets better every season and, at the moment, he's a match for anyone in football.

No, he's not even close.

No, he's not even close.

Bull

No, he's not even close.

Why? He's the talisman of the best side in England, one of the few sides who can realistically win the Champions League, the talisman of a national side ranked 4th in the world. He's a genius, one of the very few I'd absolutely go out of my way to see play and he's still young, there's still so much more to come. In terms of general play in particular I'd argue he is as good as any.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Why? He's the talisman of the best side in England, one of the few sides who can realistically win the Champions League, the talisman of a national side ranked 4th in the world. He's a genius, one of the very few I'd absolutely go out of my way to see play and he's still young, there's still so much more to come. In terms of general play in particular I'd argue he is as good as any.

Belgium are shocking and have been ever since the World Cup

• Advertisement

Hazard is a class act but no way is he on the same level as Messi or Ronaldo, not a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

What a fantastic point for Wales.

Great point for Wales fair play to them. Belgium didn't do enough to win even tho they could of nicked at the death. 4th in the world don't know about that?

Great stuff Wales.

Belgium are incredibly overrated tbf

Hazard is not as important as Cesc or Costa for Chelsea...or arguably even Matic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Early days but Wales and N.Ireland looking well placed in their respective groups.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Hazard is not as important as Cesc or Costa for Chelsea...or arguably even Matic.

I don't agree at all. Hazard is the main man, in a team of special players Hazard is the most special, the one who makes it all click, the one through whom most things go.

He doesn't have the goals of Messi or Ronaldo but I have no problem saying I feel his general play is more impressive and certainly more involved than Ronaldo and could even be on par with Messi though I'll admit that might be a slight reach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

SlickRic wrote: »

I tend to agree. To all 3 players you've listed. Hazard lacks end product too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ramsey was very poor. Needs to learn to actually retain the ball rather than trying flicks when its not his game.

I don't agree at all. Hazard is the main man, in a team of special players Hazard is the most special, the one who makes it all click, the one through whom most things go.

he makes it look pretty, but he doesn't make it click.

that's Matic, Cesc and Costa I'm afraid.

He is the most naturally gifted of Chelsea's players, but that doesn't make him the main man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement