Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 qualification

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Alex Meier wrote: »
    Worst possible draw. . . .They're far better than us

They're extremely average, just like us. Watched their last game against Cyprus thinking they wouldn't be the worst draw for us. 50/50 game and with the way MON sets up we should be well in the tie for the return leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Originally wanted either Bosnia or Hungary with the latter the preferance but more I think of it more worried I am...although that's just my nature. Bosnia started poorly but changed manager four games in and results improved. A team on the up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Losing 2-1 is better than 0-0???

Probably as bad as each other really. Not getting an away goal makes the home tie tough, losing the first leg makes the second leg tough.

Yeah away goals count double so it's a 2-2 draw in reality lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Berserker wrote: »
    Why are we not at home in the first leg? I thought the seeded teams had got the second leg at home.
    No. Who played who was randomly decided in a draw.

• Advertisement

What?

Cannot take criticism?

Criticism, yes. An unfounded, unreasoned "We're out" is not criticism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

They're extremely average, just like us. Watched their last game against Cyprus thinking they wouldn't be the worst draw for us. 50/50 game and with the way MON sets up we should be well in the tie for the return leg.

And if they watched our game against Poland away they would be thinking the exact same thing. We created very, very little in that game. Ditto for many of our games in the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Why are we not at home in the first leg? I thought the seeded teams had got the second leg at home. Bad news is that there will only be 800 or so tickets for the away leg.

No it was whoever comes out of the pot first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Do their defenders plat at a high level?
    Just trying to work out how effective Keane will be, in case Long is still injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Besic of Everton is suspended for the first leg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭briany

For Ireland, I'm thinking it would be. A goal deficit in the second leg would make Ireland be proactive, and a single goal would put them through on away goals. Coming into the second leg with a 0-0, though, and get ready to witness one of the most cagey, defensive, and overall nerve-wracking displays of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

Collie D wrote: »
    Criticism, yes. An unfounded, unreasoned "We're out" is not criticism

Maybe a conclusion like that can bee reached when they have players like Ibisevic, Dzeko Begovic, Salihovic and we have players like Glenn Whelan.

They've underachieved and should have qualified directly.

They were the best seeded team by far of the four seeded teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Happy enough with that, 2nd best team to draw IMO. Pity we were so close to getting Hungary but a home leg last makes up for it... COYBIG

Even if the team fails to get past Bosnia, we can always take comfort in the fact that it's still further than Scotland got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Maybe a conclusion like that can bee reached when they have players like Ibisevic, Dzeko Begovic, Salihovic and we have players like Glenn Whelan.

You're talking pish mate, prefer Dzeko to Yarmolenko any day, this crowd can be beaten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

Did the draw also determine dates, or is that a TV thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Could've been worse with Sweden and Ukraine. Even some of the unseeded teams like Turkey and Denmark would have worried me more had we been seeded. If we're good enough we will beat this lot

I don't know why you were worried about Turkey as they weren't in the draw being automatic qualifiers. :pac:

It think we got one of the best draws we could get. Bosnia are no great shakes, neither are we but it's all down to O'Neill's tactics now which will probably be negative and avoid defeat driven first.

And if they watched our game against Poland away they would be thinking the exact same thing. We created very, very little in that game. Ditto for many of our games in the group.

I did say average like us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Pjanic will make a show of our midfield. Think were toast unless we can get a draw in Bosnia. Lose over there and its to big a task to turn them over at home imo

briany wrote: »
    Even if the team fails to get past Bosnia, we can always take comfort in the fact that it's still further than Scotland got.

But not as a far as NI.:D
    Mushy wrote: »
    No it was whoever comes out of the pot first.

Just checked Sky and we are away first leg. Thought the seeded teams were home for the second leg myself. You sure it went by the order of when you came out of the pot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just checked Sky and we are away first leg. Thought the seeded teams were home for the second leg myself. You sure it went by the order of when you came out of the pot?

Yeah, they had three bowls. One pot of seeded, one of unseeded. They'd pick ball out of each, then place into empty pot. Then first team out is at home first leg. So Bosnia came out first, so they at home first leg, away second ie. us at home second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

briany wrote: »
    0-0 gives the advantage to Bosnia, I feel. You'd want to be coming out of the away game with something, even losing 2-1 puts you in a strong position, provided you can get on the front foot at home.

How can you think that losing 2-1 in the first leg could ever be better than a 0-0 draw?:eek:

100% we'll be in Zenica on Thurs/Fri/Sat 12th-14th and home the Sunday to Tuesday.

Small stadium...Irish allocation will be less than a thousand. Saved me a few quid I suppose. No way the FAI are going to fairly allocate those tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Lucky for us then that Bosnia are world beaters - we took 4 points from the world champions so we've a chance, do you not think? If anything, if people are under-estimating Bosnia and they're as good as you say, then you should feel that we have a better chance against them than one of the weaker teams, simply because we raise our game against better sides?

Collie D wrote: »
    Small stadium...Irish allocation will be less than a thousand. Saved me a few quid I suppose. No way the FAI are going to fairly allocate those tickets.

800 tickets. We were talking about it and we reckon there will be less than 50 tickets for independent travellers. It'll be a certain FAI affiliated travel agent or bust so. Will see how much it costs. They will probably only get 80 tickets or so themselves. They only brought 70 to Warsaw and the trip was dreadful by all accounts; Ryanair flight and a poor three star hotel 2km outside the centre of Warsaw for €550 pps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

A ball hasn't been kicked yet and we're out. :rolleyes:

The lot saying that will be the first on the boat to France too if we qualify. Some Irish followers are infuriating. And yeah; you're a follower and not a supporter if you're taking that line of narrative.

To the lad saying Pjanic will murder us - surely Ozil, Kroos and Gotze would have done the same? They're far far superior players.

cson wrote: »
    To the lad saying Pjanic will murder us - surely Ozil, Kroos and Gotze would have done the same? They're far far superior players.

They did, they just failed to put the ball in the net. They had over 70% of the possession that night. I think we have a fair chance myself but I am worried about having the home leg second. Would have preferred to go out there second.

Get over the four points v Germany - The germans treated us with kid gloves.

We won at home but they completely DOMINATED which, of course, is no shame.

Play Off matches take on a different level & intensity than group stage matches.

It's all O'Neills fault in anyway. . . If we hadn't lost in Poland we would have been seeded in this draw.

Play Off matches take on a different level & intensity than group stage matches.

It's all O'Neills fault in anyway. . . If we hadn't lost in Poland we would have been seeded in this draw.

This is something I noticed between Ireland's last two group games. The German players stood off the Irish defenders and let them kick it out. The Polish players harried Irish defenders when in possession of the ball and forced chances out of it. The Germans allowed the Irish defence to maintain shape whereas the Polish didn't. I think it's a weakness that the Bosnians will look to exploit. The Herzegovinians may be more laid back about it, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I'm well aware of Ireland's limitations and I'd put our chances against Bosnia as 50:50 or maybe even 40:60 in their favour but to suggest they're much better than us is wrong. They may be a little better than us but that's it. The tie is far from a foregone conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Are you Eamon Dunphy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ukraine would have been the worst draw and Hungary would have been the best, can't decide if I would have preferred Sweden or Bosnia but with the second leg at home I think we can be happy enough with that draw. They have some good players though, will be a very tough game. Dzeko will cause problems I'm sure and wouldn't be surprised to see him get a goal over the two legs.

We were on the unseeded side of the draw so the opposition were always likely to be slight favourites but we have a chance here and if we perform over the two matches there is no reason why we can't go to France. Both teams will probably fancy their chances a bit, the next few weeks should be exciting. Just hope that Shane Long is back in time for the games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Come on we have a good chance but lets be realistic, Ireland rarely do the business when things could really take off. We put other teams under pressure sometimes but it feels like this team and manager has to be put under pressure (like after the 7-1 humiliation from Germany)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The dates of the fixtures...

Norway v Hungary: 12 & 15 November
    Bosnia and Herzegovina v Republic of Ireland: 13 & 16 November
    Ukraine v Slovenia: 14 & 17 November
    Sweden v Denmark: 14 & 17 November

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

After Hungary probably the best chance Ireland have of making the Euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

This whole "dominated" the game is such ****e from wannabe Dunphys. I dont care if Bosnia have 99% possesion. If we get 1 goal more than them we won regardless of possesion/pretty factor. The sooner people get over this tiki taka boner the better. Possession has never won a match. Didnt Celtic beat Barca with 11% possession?

Meh...Monday night home leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Hard to get a grasp of Bosnia from their results on Soccerway. No consistency like you see with the Irish team.

Some very bad results, losing 3 nil in Israel and 2-1 at home to cyprus while some good results, beating Wales and drawing with Belguim at home.

Sometimes they get a nil all, sometimes they win 3-2. Hard to know what they can bring to this.

This whole "dominated" the game is such ****e from wannabe Dunphys.

It has nothing to do with being a wannabe whoever. People who talk about possession tend to be people who actually played the game to a decent level and/or people who really understand the game. You might get away with fluking a win now and again when you are dominated in terms of possession but you will lose out more often than not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We could have got Ukraine, we didn't. We could have got Sweden and IBRA, we didn't after that Bosnia and the worst team Hungary. 3rd best team from 4 or second worst. Very happy with the draw. It really could have been a lot worse. By the crime we play, the state of injuries and suspended players will be clearer which will make a huge difference. As will the first 11 that get picked - who knows what that will look like.
    I am confident we have enough to go through over 2 legs.

• Advertisement

It has nothing to do with being a wannabe whoever. People who talk about possession tend to be people who actually played the game to a decent level and/or people who really understand the game. You might get away with fluking a win now and again when you are dominated in terms of possession but you will lose out more often than not.
    Those people need to understand the basics. Its goals that win games. The winning sides in England averaged just over 50%. And stats from the A League one year showed the team that had more possesion tended to loose. If you simply use the ball well when when you have it you win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Happy enough with the draw. I would have preferred Hungary, but Bosnia is not too bad. Once we avoided Sweden and Ukraine and it was then a matter of it being Bosnia or Hungary, i was happy.

Great as well that the second leg is in Dublin. Hopefully we don't lose the plot over there and that we keep it alive for the Lansdowne showdown. Looking forward to it now.

Those people need to understand the basics. Its goals that win games. The winning sides in England averaged just over 50%. And stats from the A League one year showed the team that had more possesion tended to loose. If you simply use the ball well when when you have it you win.

So hoof the ball up to the penalty area so. . .

Where are the links for your stats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

This whole "dominated" the game is such ****e from wannabe Dunphys. I dont care if Bosnia have 99% possesion. If we get 1 goal more than them we won regardless of possesion/pretty factor. The sooner people get over this tiki taka boner the better. Possession has never won a match. Didnt Celtic beat Barca with 11% possession?

Yeah, bring back Trap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I think if we have a full squad for it we should do it.
    O'shea missing for the first leg will be a big lose.
    Hope to feck long is fit for it

So hoof the ball up to the penalty area so. . .

Where are the links for your stats?

Didnt work against Germany. Oh

Didnt work against Germany. Oh

Is this your answer to everything?

Your posts are juvenile

Is this your answer to everything?

Your posts are juvenile

Are you going to keep denying that it happened to suit your tiki taka boner? Juvenile is is your idea that possesion wins matches. Besides you have already decided Bosnia will beat us so you clearly like wild knee jerk reactions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Possession has never won a match. Didnt Celtic beat Barca with 11% possession?

yet Barcelona have won the Champions League four times in nine years. Celtic...haven't.

Almost as though one match means nothing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Are you going to keep denying that it happened to suit your tiki taka boner? Juvenile is is your idea that possesion wins matches. Besides you have already decided Bosnia will beat us so you clearly like wild knee jerk reactions.

Theres a long term correlation between possession and goals. However goals are very difficult to score in football though so theres no guarantees in an individual match that the team with most possession will win.
    But its folly not to acknowledge that the team with more possession is the more likely winner in any given match.

• Advertisement
Advertisement