Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 qualification

1293031323335»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Zlatan also hinted strongly at international retirement following the Euros to the Swedish media after the game last night and even recently when he got the Swedish footballer of the year award. Nice to go to a major tournament as a send off.

Robbie Keane and john o Shea could go for us after the euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Robbie Keane and john o Shea could go for us after the euros

Keane really only a passenger in the squad now, so not much of a loss but O Shea hopefully will give the World Cup a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Keane really only a passenger in the squad now, so not much of a loss but O Shea hopefully will give the World Cup a go.

o'shea is well past it, his like a mcshane these days, an accident waiting to happen

o'shea is well past it, his like a mcshane these days, an accident waiting to happen

he played 7 times this year in one of the best defenses in Europe :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

And as well as being class at the back he's got a few massive goals in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

O'Shea has lost a lot of pace bit he's still one of our better players. I'm still unsure of Clarke, I'd have O'Shea and keogh in the centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

he played 7 times this year in one of the best defenses in Europe :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

seen him play for Sunderland in the last few years?

i dont give a f*ck how he plays for Sunderland, all i care about is how he does for us and he is doing a great job.

and Hummels, Smalling or Kompany would look like a clown in that set up, the club is a total joke.

Are Sunderland going to the Euros?

He's been great with ireland and that's all you need to worry about.

• Advertisement

Anyone else find the disparity between UEFA and FIFA rankings a bit odd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Anyone else find the disparity between UEFA and FIFA rankings a bit odd?

Not really. They're separate entities. The FIFA ones are very open to rapid jumps and falls and not really that accurate in terms of stating the actual quality of a team. They're a bit of a popularity chart tbh.

The UEFA ones are more slow moving and more stringent so offer a better reflection of each team's true level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Not really. They're separate entities. The FIFA ones are very open to rapid jumps and falls and not really that accurate in terms of stating the actual quality of a team. They're a bit of a popularity chart tbh.

The UEFA ones are more slow moving and more stringent so offer a better reflection of each team's true level.

Case in point, looks like we're going to have a 14-place rise next time they come out. That's nearly 30 spots in 2 months!

Qualified for 2 Euro's in a row so despite the bad performance last time out we should really be going up a bit. Hopefully by the time the next Euro's come around we'll go into a higher seeded pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

i dont give a f*ck how he plays for Sunderland, all i care about is how he does for us and he is doing a great job.

and Hummels, Smalling or Kompany would look like a clown in that set up, the club is a total joke.

Bit of topic, but Smalling not quiet in the conversation of top CB just yet and Im a huge fan of his

astonaidan wrote: »
    Bit of topic, but Smalling not quiet in the conversation of top CB just yet and Im a huge fan of his

Smalling is pretty widely regarded as the best CB in the premier league for the last 12 months, and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Jayop wrote: »
    Smalling is pretty widely regarded as the best CB in the premier league for the last 12 months, and rightly so.

how widely? wider than the united fan base?
    generally interested! I haven't seen much of him since his awful debut.

how widely? wider than the united fan base?
    generally interested! I haven't seen much of him since his awful debut.

Debut for who? England or United??

Ah yeah, he's accepted by pretty much everyone who watches a lot of premier league as being the best this season, the media and opposition fans alike. As for him being the best for the last 12 months, I'd say that's widely held by most people who aren't blind United haters. He had a mare this time last year in the Manchester derby and since then he's played almost perfectly.

A lot of his rise to the best in the last 12 months can also be attributed to the previous holders of that title having slide quite a bit. Terry was very good last year but he's having a shocker so far this season, Kompany isn't even the best CB at City anymore and there's not too many other challengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

A lot of his rise to the best in the last 12 months can also be attributed to the previous holders of that title having slide quite a bit. Terry was very good last year but he's having a shocker so far this season, Kompany isn't even the best CB at City anymore and there's not too many other challengers.
    Koscielny. I agree that Smalling's been great though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I've never heard anyone that wasn't a United fan say this. He is definitely not widely regarded as the best CB in the Premier League. He has improved hugely under Van Gaal though.

CSF wrote: »
    I've never heard anyone that wasn't a United fan say this. He is definitely not widely regarded as the best CB in the Premier League. He has improved hugely under Van Gaal though.

I've spoken to leads of non United fans, most of my friends are Arsenal and Liverpool, and they've all acknowledged this.

Who is better currently then?

• Advertisement

I'm sure you're aware that only one of this says he's the best defender in the Premier League, right? Unless I've missed pieces that you'll need to show me.

Like I said it was a quick google.

Find me a source that says any other defender is better than him. Have you watched him? Have you watched the commentators and pundits talking about him this season? Have you read articles that refer to him being the best without that being the core of the article, because I have, many times.

I'll ask again. Who has been better than him this season?

Like I said it was a quick google.

Find me a source that says any other defender is better than him. Have you watched him? Have you watched the commentators and pundits talking about him this season? Have you read articles that refer to him being the best without that being the core of the article, because I have, many times.

Ah here, your arguments are changing by the minute and are borderline bizarre given that you've posted 3 links that don't say what you were trying to tell me they said.

Can't be dealing with arguing with people like that. I'm sure someone with more patience will take it up on my behalf.

Ah here, your arguments are changing by the minute and are borderline bizarre given that you've posted 3 links that don't say what you were trying to tell me they said.

Can't be dealing with arguing with people like that. I'm sure someone with more patience will take it up on my behalf.

Ah please, before you run off can you tell me where my arguments have changed?

So far I've said...
    Ah yeah, he's accepted by pretty much everyone who watches a lot of premier league as being the best this season, the media and opposition fans alike. As for him being the best for the last 12 months, I'd say that's widely held by most people who aren't blind United haters. He had a mare this time last year in the Manchester derby and since then he's played almost perfectly.

I've spoken to leads of non United fans, most of my friends are Arsenal and Liverpool, and they've all acknowledged this.

Who is better currently then?
    That's a 30 second google.

Of course with something like this it's pure opinion and stats will only tell half the story.

That's not changed once. I've been 100% consistent in the posts on this subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I would say Koscielny would be regarded as the best and well Kompany is a class act, So no not rightly so, best United cb yes, come on loads yes, but not best and not in the talk for best cb conversation yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Is this a thread about the Euro 2016 qualification or best centre back in the PL?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

irishmover wrote: »
    Is this a thread about the Euro 2016 qualification or best centre back in the PL?

Zidane said Scholes was the best midfielder he has ever played against :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I still wake up in a cold sweat sometimes, with visions of a team full of Hakan Yakin's haunting me.

I remember just getting into football as a 10 year old. Played football manager 2005 on our Pc and managed Ireland as you do. Well if Hakan Yakin didnt score in every single game. I must have re-loaded it about 20 times before giving in to the power of Hakan Yakin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

TheStook wrote: »
    I remember just getting into football as a 10 year old. Played football manager 2005 on our Pc

I feel so old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I feel so old.

21 btw :)

Is there a thread for people planning on going to France? I can't see anything anyway. What would be the best way to go about this? Campervan isn't exactly an option. What are yee lads planning on doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

TheStook wrote: »
    21 btw :)

Is there a thread for people planning on going to France? I can't see anything anyway. What would be the best way to go about this? Campervan isn't exactly an option. What are yee lads planning on doing?

Better off keeping all that chat in this forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=896

Hard to say a lot until the draw is made anyway

my guess for the draws involving the british nations and us.
    Group B
    1 England
    2 Austria
    3 Hungary
    4 Wales

Group C
    1 Spain
    2 Croatia
    3 Czech Republic
    4 Republic Of Ireland

Group E
    1 Germany
    2 Russia
    3 Sweden
    4 N Ireland

Group B
    1 England
    2 Austria
    3 Hungary
    4 Wales

Group C
    1 Spain
    2 Croatia
    3 Czech Republic
    4 Republic Of Ireland

Group E
    1 Germany
    2 Russia
    3 Sweden
    4 N Ireland

Really????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Really????

It must have been a slow day in work for PTH2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Group B
    1 England
    2 Austria
    3 Hungary
    4 Wales

Group C
    1 Spain
    2 Croatia
    3 Czech Republic
    4 Republic Of Ireland

Group E
    1 Germany
    2 Russia
    3 Sweden
    4 N Ireland

Be pretty unusual to have 3 teams out of the same Euro 2012 group wouldn't it?

I'll be hoping for England then a combination of Switzerland/Russia/Austria, Slovakia/Romania/Hungary.

Think if we got that the 4 pts likely needed would be well within reach

Dearg81 wrote: »
    It must have been a slow day in work for PTH2009.
    got a tooth out so cant do much lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Better off keeping all that chat in this forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=896

I cant wait for the Ticket Portal thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Group B
    1 England
    2 Austria
    3 Hungary
    4 Wales

Group C
    1 Spain
    2 Croatia
    3 Czech Republic
    4 Republic Of Ireland

Group E
    1 Germany
    2 Russia
    3 Sweden
    4 N Ireland

From an English perspective, I'd take that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I dreamt last night that we were 1-0 up against Russia at the Euros. That's us drawn against them so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

yabadabado wrote: »
    I cant wait for the Ticket Portal thread :D

Oh God, the memories...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

irishmover wrote: »
    I dreamt last night that we were 1-0 up against Russia at the Euros. That's us drawn against them so.

Oh God, the memories of this too...

The qualifying is even more confusing for Euro 2020. Like the 2016 qualifers the top 2 teams from each group qualify but if u finish 3rd you're out and don't qualify for a playoff. 20 teams will qualify from the group stages

For the remaining 4 spots they will be decided the playoffs through the new uefa nations league

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What time is the draw?

Edit: Saturday @ 17:00

• Advertisement

The qualifying is even more confusing for Euro 2020. Like the 2016 qualifers the top 2 teams from each group qualify but if u finish 3rd you're out and don't qualify for a playoff. 20 teams will qualify from the group stages

For the remaining 4 spots they will be decided the playoffs through the new uefa nations league

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_2020

This could get like the short-lived 2nd group stage in the Champions League: So many matches just to get from 50+ to 24 teams in the Finals.

This could get like the short-lived 2nd group stage in the Champions League: So many matches just to get from 50+ to 24 teams in the Finals.

The best thing is to keep winning every game u play. So one of the really weak teams will get to the finals through this new league thing ???

Yep, as it stands one of the below would make it. Could only see Lithuania or Georgia not getting humiliated.

Lithuania
    Belarus
    Georgia
    Azerbaijan
    Latvia
    Cyprus
    Moldova
    Macedonia
    Kazakhstan
    Luxembourg
    Liechtenstein
    Faeroes
    Malta
    San Marino
    Andorra
    Gibraltar

Yep, as it stands one of the below would make it. Could only see Lithuania or Georgia not getting humiliated.

Lithuania
    Belarus
    Georgia
    Azerbaijan
    Latvia
    Cyprus
    Moldova
    Macedonia
    Kazakhstan
    Luxembourg
    Liechtenstein
    Faeroes
    Malta
    San Marino
    Andorra
    Gibraltar

Some of the bigger teams like us or the north might not make it and a small nation who will be destroyed will. It was fine they way it was

Advertisement