Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 qualification

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So much for the theory some had that we are far superior to Poland and shouldn't be worried about them. Can't remember if it was in here or not, but some were saying it after our Georgia match.

Worst part of this is we now play a pissed off Germany with something to prove. Absolutely terrible result for us all round. Happy for Poland but from an Irish perspective there's really not a (realtlistic) positive spin for us to put in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Great result for Poland!! Delighted for them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

DubDani wrote: »
    I am convinced that the Germans will still win the group comfortably. Poland, Scotland and Ireland will take loads of points of each other, with the Germans now more focused.

It's that part about the Germans being "more focused" that will cause us problems!

There will definitely be a response from them Tuesday night :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Poland are a decent side and are very strong at home. England struggled there and were lucky to get a point in the last qualifying round. They don't travel great though and I can't see them winning in either Glasgow or Dublin.

Point is I wouldn't be too down tonight about that result if I was Irish. This is a great group and will go all the way to the wire, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Just shows you need to be positive against the Germans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

SlickRic wrote: »
    They don't play pure tiki-taka, so they've very much got the message actually.

Most of their goals have come from 5 passes or less this season.

I don't think that's much of an indication at all. Look at their possession stats, infact just look at them play, they couldn't do anything but tiki taka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Poland are a decent side and are very strong at home. England struggled there and were lucky to get a point in the last qualifying round. They don't travel great though and I can't see them winning in either Glasgow or Dublin.

Point is I wouldn't be too down tonight about that result if I was Irish. This is a great group and will go all the way to the wire, IMO.

I am of the same opinion. I don't think there is much between ourselves, Poland and Scotland. The head to heads involving those three are hard to call.

If Poland go and beat Scotland on Tuesday though, they will have some serious momentum in this group. Do we hope for a draw in that one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

In the absence of citytilidie.
    Match Day 3.
    Sunday.
    Russia v Moldova SkySports 5pm
    Austria v Montenegro
    Estonia v England ITV 5pm
    Ukraine v Macedonia
    Belarus v Slovakia
    Lithuania v Slovenia
    Luxembourg v Spain SkySports 7.45pm
    Sweden v Liechtenstein

Monday.
    Kazakhstan v Czech Republic Sky Sports 5pm
    Bosnia and Herzegovina v Belgium
    Andorra v Israel
    Latvia v Turkey
    Wales v Cyprus SkySports 7.45pm
    Malta v Italy
    Croatia v Azerbaijan
    Iceland v Netherlands SkySports 7.45pm
    Norway v Bulgaria

Tuesday.
    Denmark v Portugal ITV4 7.45pm
    Gibraltar v Georgia
    San Marino v Switzerland
    Faroe Islands v Hungary
    Finland v Romania
    Germany v Republic of Ireland RTE/SkySports 7.45pm
    Greece v Northern Ireland SkySports 7.45pm
    Poland v Scotland SkySports 7.45pm
    Serbia v Albania

All other games also available behind the Sky red button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

We were always in a battle for third with Scotland so I dont get the disappointment last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Raf32 wrote: »
    We were always in a battle for third with Scotland so I dont get the disappointment last night.

Not the way many felt beforehand though. Still don't think Poland are guaranteed 2nd even after winning last night to be honest. They are more than capable of losing a few games in this group along with Scotland and Ireland.

• Advertisement

Not the way many felt beforehand though. Still don't think Poland are guaranteed 2nd even after winning last night to be honest. They are more than capable of losing a few games in this group along with Scotland and Ireland.

I was holding out hope we might pip them but know we wont. They are a good bit better than us in fairness. We just need to better Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I was holding out hope we might pip them but know we wont. They are a good bit better than us in fairness. We just need to better Scotland.

No point aiming for 3rd already. It was one win but long long way to go in this group yet. Poland could easily lose away to both Scotland and Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Don't agree with that at all, it's no way clear cut still. That was a shocking result last night and ****e from an Irish point of view, but there is very little between the three going for 2nd and 3rd. Any one could end up filling those spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'm a bit lost about Scotland/Poland in a few days... what do people reckon we should be looking for, a draw or Scotland to win? It's in Poland so I guess we should be happy of its a draw, but a Scottish win would at least go some way to negating Poland's win yesterday. Puts us at more risk for missing out on third, but gives us a better chance to get 2nd.

Sterling not playing today due to tiredness. Its only October. Liverpool will have to start resting him and stop burning him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Georgia will take points off people in Tbilisi.
    Scotland and Poland have to go there yet.

It's going to be an interesting group.

Rooney has been awful so far

Rooney has been awful so far

and he scores :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭RQ2013

He's no Robbie Keane!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

What a goal from David Silva! Jesus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

What a miss from costa then

Commentator here talking about how tonight is a pivotal night for Spanish football. Following the great team of Xavi, Puyol, Xavi Alonso, Villa, Casillas is as tough a task as you could hope to find in football but tonight a new generation begins to emerge. Sergio Busquets ended the night as captain, Koke, Bartra, De Gea, Costa, Alcacer and others must now follow in the footsteps of the greatest international team ever, I believe you couldn't ask for a better group of players to take on such a task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Of course you do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Commentator here talking about how tonight is a pivotal night for Spanish football. Following the great team of Xavi, Puyol, Xavi Alonso, Villa, Casillas is as tough a task as you could hope to find in football but tonight a new generation begins to emerge. Sergio Busquets ended the night as captain, Koke, Bartra, De Gea, Costa, Alcacer and others must now follow in the footsteps of the greatest international team ever, I believe you couldn't ask for a better group of players to take on such a task.

https://vine.co/v/OAEpVPPuxAh

The big man is off the mark now for Spain and all the vines in the world can't discount his undoubted quality, Costa arrived at Chelsea a champion of Spain, he has taken England by storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The big man is off the mark now for Spain and all the vines in the world can't discount his undoubted quality, Costa arrived at Chelsea a champion of Spain, he has taken England by storm.

And with a touch like that, it's easy to see why ! And did you mean to use Brazilian as an adjective, rather than big ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Interesting after so many years of Spanish teams based on players from Barca and Real, the much-changed team last night had much more of an Athletico Madrid and Valencia -grown represntation.

De Gea, Alba, Bernat, Koke, Costa, Silva, Paco all of whom came to prominence at clubs apart from Barca and Real all played last night, and Rodrigo (a Real youth product) now plays for Valencia. That's 8 of 14 players; when's the last time that was the case in a Spanish side?

Good signs for Spanish football I'd say, despite the recent dip.

You're no fun :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Spain overcame the mighty Luxembourg I see.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Pivital? It was Luxembourg...

Pivital? It was Luxembourg...

That doesn't matter, it's what it represented, it's who ended the game on the pitch, who started it on the bench. When the history books are written it'll be told that a new era of Spanish football began in a humble town in Luxembourg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

That doesn't matter, it's what it represented, it's who ended the game on the pitch, who started it on the bench. When the history books are written it'll be told that a new era of Spanish football began in a humble town in Luxembourg.

Its not as if they were in the doldrums of world soccer, before the world cup they were favorites

And if they lose their next game, ala Slovakia? New era again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

And if they lose their next game, ala Slovakia? New era again?

Some eras are very short-lived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

You talk some dribble mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Its not as if they were in the doldrums of world soccer, before the world cup they were favorites

Were Brazil not favourites?

Not the doldrums but slipping. It's not only about performance but also personnel. Xavi is gone, the greatest player Spain has ever produced, the embodiment of over 30 years of Michel's and Cruyff's system, the hub of the most successful national team ever is gone. Alonso is gone, Puyol is gone, Villa is gone, Casillas is on the way out, for Spain it's a new era.

Not the doldrums but slipping. It's not only about performance but also personnel. Xavi is gone, the greatest player Spain has ever produced, the embodiment of over 30 years of Michel's and Cruyff's system, the hub of the most successful national team ever is gone. Alonso is gone, Puyol is gone, Villa is gone, Casillas is on the way out, for Spain it's a new era.
    Eh, I'm pretty sure that Johan Cruyff himself is the embodiment of Total Football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Ireland to beat Germany. The poles were allowed to beat the Germans to lower the suspicion. As the papers go with Ireland win in Germany the budget doesn't attract huge flack. Merkel and ends happy.

Moral of the story lump on Ireland/Keane anytime scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I don't think that's much of an indication at all. Look at their possession stats, infact just look at them play, they couldn't do anything but tiki taka.

you have no idea what tiki-taka is.

The fact that Barca mix it up like they do now, by definition, means they're not a tiki-taka team anymore.

Spain are realising it too now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Iceland gone 1 up at home to Holland after 10 mins. Live now on Sky Sports 1.

Pelle scored for Italy too, Bosnia beating Belgium also via a dzeko goal.

Pretty cool to see how well Iceland are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Dutch are shi'te

Sigurdsson looks a player these days, spurs didn't go too well for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

2-0 Iceland :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

RVP and Co d'ont look too interested out there, I would say its a tough place to visit at any time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

ebbsy wrote: »
    RVP and Co d'ont look too interested out there, I would say its a tough place to visit at any time of year.

3 degrees atm.

Stadium seats 10,000. Tickets sold out in 30 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Turkey take the lead. The Dutch need Dirk Kuyt back pronto. Lukaku is rubbish tonight apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Lars Lagerback has done some job with Iceland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Wahey go on Iceland!

• Advertisement
Advertisement