Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sending iPhone back to Apple

• 09-09-2012 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My iPhone has developed the dreaded unresponsive home button :(. It is still in warranty for another 6 weeks so I want to send it back to get repaired.
    What is the process after I contact Apple? How long will I be without my phone? Will it be repaired or will they send a refurbished phone?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I sent mine back on a Monday and had a refurb by Friday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

guil wrote: »
    I sent mine back on a Monday and had a refurb by Friday

i got mine back too within 5 working days. sent it on a thursady and had it back the following wednesday. new phone, not just button replacement here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

You should receive an empty box within 2-3 working days from Apple to send your faulty phone. It will take 1-2 days from the day they receive to diagnose your phone issues before they decide to repair or replace your phone. Overall it takes roughly about 5-7 working days to get your phone back.

Or you might be eligible to avail the Express Replacement Services (ERS) for a fee of 29 euros which I had used few weeks ago. Rang Apple on Thursday morning and received replacement phone the next day Friday afternoon.

Either way, based on my experience they use UPS which is pretty fast and reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Thanks lads, going to ring Apple today and try get it sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Sorry to hijack this thread
    My home button isn't functioning as well as it should
    I really have to press it hard or a couple of times
    It's 20 months old what are my options and what are the costs for repair
    Just wondering as I'll probably upgrade to the new phone when it arrives ant I want to be able to pass in a decent phone to someone else
    Thanks

• Advertisement

soundsham wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread
    My home button isn't functioning as well as it should
    I really have to press it hard or a couple of times
    It's 20 months old what are my options and what are the costs for repair
    Just wondering as I'll probably upgrade to the new phone when it arrives ant I want to be able to pass in a decent phone to someone else
    Thanks
    • Send it back to Apple for an official repair (probably costly)
    • Go into one of the decent repair shops in town and get it done before selling and point out that the home button has been repaired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭kirving

Doesn't EU law provied a minimum 2 year warranty on electrical goods?

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm

Just because Apple give you a 1 year guarantee, doesn't mean that that's all you're entitled to. Ring Apple and ask them, if you get no response, ring the NCA for advice, and then write to Apple.

I know Nokia gave me a 2 year guarantee with my phone, because that's what people are entitled to anyway in order to cut confusion.

If you go through the small claims court, you have up to 6-7 years if an item is faulty. A €20 kettle may be subject to the minimum 2 years, but a €2000 PC should last far longer, and Irish law is purpously vague to allow people to claim for goods which everyone knows should last much longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

This is correct, but because of the way the warranty is phrased, it's actually the seller, not the producer, who's responsible in this case. You'll also have to argue that the defect was present on the date of purchase, but since this is poor design on Apple's part and a known issue, it should be possible to get your replacement. Some more details on the Apple vs EU warranties here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm

Just because Apple give you a 1 year guarantee, doesn't mean that that's all you're entitled to. Ring Apple and ask them, if you get no response, ring the NCA for advice, and then write to Apple.

I know Nokia gave me a 2 year guarantee with my phone, because that's what people are entitled to anyway in order to cut confusion.

If you go through the small claims court, you have up to 6-7 years if an item is faulty. A €20 kettle may be subject to the minimum 2 years, but a €2000 PC should last far longer, and Irish law is purpously vague to allow people to claim for goods which everyone knows should last much longer.

This old chestnut again. Apparently Ireland didn't bring in the 2 year warranty because we are supposed to have better protection with the Sale of Goods Act. What you are talking about with Nokia is a 2 year manufacturer guarantee, which is completely different. Apple do reference the 2 year EU warranty on the link posted above, so it would be worth taking a run at them, as long as it was bought from Apple.

Rang Apple a while ago, they were fairly useless on the phone and told me to restore the iPhone and see if it fixes it. How can I organise a warranty repair? Can it be done on their website (i've had a look but can't find it :o)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I can get as far as entering my address, and then the site keeps coming up with an error and asks my to try again later.....this is turning into an absolute pain!

BDJW wrote: »
    I can get as far as entering my address, and then the site keeps coming up with an error and asks my to try again later.....this is turning into an absolute pain!

The guy on the phone sorts it for you. did you ring the 1850 number?
    I just done it for my GF's iPhone 4 this morning too. Guy asked had i done a restore, i just said yeah. Theres 37 days of her warranty remining so he just said he would send out the package for her to send it back!

Should have it tomorrow going my previous experience.

kceire wrote: »
    The guy on the phone sorts it for you. did you ring the 1850 number?
    I just done it for my GF's iPhone 4 this morning too. Guy asked had i done a restore, i just said yeah. Theres 37 days of her warranty remining so he just said he would send out the package for her to send it back!

Should have it tomorrow going my previous experience.

Girl on the phone was useless. Yeah I rang the 1850 number. There is about 35 days left on my warranty so want to get it sorted. It's also driving me mad at the moment with it being so unresponsive :mad:

Girl on the phone was useless. Yeah I rang the 1850 number. There is about 35 days left on my warranty so want to get it sorted. It's also driving me mad at the moment with it being so unresponsive :mad:

just ring back and tell them you done a restore and the fault is still happening, and ask can you send it back for repair.

Rang them back this evening, box is being sent out in the post. Thanks for the help lads

9 days since I rang Apple, 7 days since the status of the repair said emtpy box sent and it's still not arrived :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

9 days since I rang Apple, 7 days since the status of the repair said emtpy box sent and it's still not arrived :(

That's strange, give them a bell in the morning, there're normally sent to England (tamworth) I think..

Must of been lazy staff in on the 10th :D
    I ordered my repair box on the 10th too and it arrived on the 14th.

Left it in with UPS on Monday morning 17th and Apple received it Wed morning 19th.
    Repair pending at the moment.

• Advertisement

If it doesn't arrive in the post today, I will ring them and have a few choice words :mad:
    Hopefully I will get it today or tomorrow, I will get UPS to collect it on Monday then as I would like to have the phone for the weekend to take some photos on Saturday night when I head out. And I also don't have time to save a load of contacts onto the sim over the next couple of days!

If it doesn't arrive in the post today, I will ring them and have a few choice words :mad:
    Hopefully I will get it today or tomorrow, I will get UPS to collect it on Monday then as I would like to have the phone for the weekend to take some photos on Saturday night when I head out. And I also don't have time to save a load of contacts onto the sim over the next couple of days!

If UPS collect it off you on monday, it goes to the local depot for that evening. Shipped to UK Tuesday and delivered to Apple on Wednesday.

Apple repair it wed/Thurs and shipped back to you then. You will be doing well to get it back by the Friday if im honest. This is the third phone ive sent back for friends nand family and every one of them arrives back with me the same day i sent it the previous week.

hope you get it though.

kceire wrote: »
    If UPS collect it off you on monday, it goes to the local depot for that evening. Shipped to UK Tuesday and delivered to Apple on Wednesday.

Apple repair it wed/Thurs and shipped back to you then. You will be doing well to get it back by the Friday if im honest. This is the third phone ive sent back for friends nand family and every one of them arrives back with me the same day i sent it the previous week.

hope you get it though.

Cheers for the info. I actually meant that I needed the phone this weekend, so that is why i'd way til Monday to get them to collect it! But I need the box before I can give it to UPS anyway!

30 minutes on the phone to Apple this evening. Box never arrived so they have set up a new repair and sent a new box. I hope this one arrives!

Received my iPhone back today from Apple. Well in fact, it looks like a brand new iPhone (it could be refurbished, but looks new to me). Had to register the phone on iTunes when I turned it on and I have just done a warranty check and the phone looks to be in warranty until 01/10/2013 :D
    Tempted to sell it and pick up a 4s in white off adverts though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

How do you do a warranty check?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

hey guys have a question when sending iphone back to apple do i send it back in its origal box ?

if not then does that mean if they do replace it the box imei and serial numbers wont match to the new phone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

hey guys have a question when sending iphone back to apple do i send it back in its origal box ?

if not then does that mean if they do replace it the box imei and serial numbers wont match to the new phone ?

No they send a brown box out to you via ups and you send it back to them in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,256 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Are apple normally slow

I ordered ipod touch from the UK store on the 2nd of this month, said estimated delivery was the 15th looked at the status and its still in Carlise :(

Advertisement