Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undergraduate Psychology Hours?

Options
  • 09-09-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi, I was just wondering if someone could tell me the hours per week of an undergrad Psychology student?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

Practically none. Last year in 1st year I had about 13/14 a week. This year in 2nd year I have 11. Only 2 of which are compulsory. It's fairly good going in comparison to the hours my friends tell me they have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Classof2013

gruffler91 wrote: »
    Practically none. Last year in 1st year I had about 13/14 a week. This year in 2nd year I have 11. Only 2 of which are compulsory. It's fairly good going in comparison to the hours my friends tell me they have :)

Oh wow really? I was expecting more because I assumed it was a really hard course but that sounds great :) It's my first choice, then Arts and then Politics and International Relations. You wouldn't happen to know the hours for those courses? And is psychology hard in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

Don't have a clue about the hours for the other courses Im afraid. You can always get the module code of the course and put it in here http://www.timetable.ul.ie/tt_mod.asp

to see what the hours are like, bear in mind anything followed by a/b/c etc means you will only be assigned to one and don't have to go to them all.

I wouldn't say that its hard. I don't like it all though. I thought it would be very interesting heading into it but after 3/4 weeks knew the course wasn't really for me, in saying that I'm still there but that's because I don't have any other options.

It's mainly looking at psychology stuff from the past and you have to do 2 other random modules as well as there are only 3 psych modules. It will be better from this year on though as the selection of optional modules was awful last year. I hear you can choose languages and a few different things this year though which I would have loved.

You also have to write lab reports and read articles and do statistics- none of which I had any clue about before starting the course.

On the plus side, the hours are great and a lot of the modules are continuous assessment meaning you have a lot if not all of your marks got before sitting an end of semester exam. Also you are off from college completely in 3rd year doing co op and erasmus so that kinda gives you a break from the course.

If you've any more questions, fire away!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I'm doing Psych and Soc and I think I have 12.
    I'd say yours is the same, if you count my sociology modules as your electives. U might have more, I dont know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Classof2013

gruffler91 wrote: »
    Don't have a clue about the hours for the other courses Im afraid. You can always get the module code of the course and put it in here http://www.timetable.ul.ie/tt_mod.asp

to see what the hours are like, bear in mind anything followed by a/b/c etc means you will only be assigned to one and don't have to go to them all.

I wouldn't say that its hard. I don't like it all though. I thought it would be very interesting heading into it but after 3/4 weeks knew the course wasn't really for me, in saying that I'm still there but that's because I don't have any other options.

It's mainly looking at psychology stuff from the past and you have to do 2 other random modules as well as there are only 3 psych modules. It will be better from this year on though as the selection of optional modules was awful last year. I hear you can choose languages and a few different things this year though which I would have loved.

You also have to write lab reports and read articles and do statistics- none of which I had any clue about before starting the course.

On the plus side, the hours are great and a lot of the modules are continuous assessment meaning you have a lot if not all of your marks got before sitting an end of semester exam. Also you are off from college completely in 3rd year doing co op and erasmus so that kinda gives you a break from the course.

If you've any more questions, fire away!

Wow thank you so much! I hope there will be more interesting modules when I hopefully start next year :/ That's really cool about the erasmus :) Thanks so much again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement