Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shotguns

Options
  • 09-09-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

can someone explain to me the different gauges/bores of shotguns and there uses? also the different types of cartiages and their uses

all info much appreicated

TB26

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    can someone explain to me the different gauges/bores of shotguns and there uses? also the different types of cartiages and their uses

TB26

There is a good explanation on guages here: LINK

Some good info on shotgun shells and uses here: LINK

Hope that gets you some answers :) happy reading

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

TB26

12 gauge would be the most common one used for all types of shooting.. vermin game and clays.

the 16 and 20 bore and .410 have a smaller diameter. Ive seen younger lads using the 20bores or smaller women sometimes use them. One of the lads has one and shoots plenty of phesants with them too. !

most rfds will only stock 12g ammo but some of the bigger places or is someone shops their regularly will stock more variation of other bore ammo.

Shot size eg 4, 5 ,6 is the size of each pellet in the case. they normally penetrate more and the lower numbers are suited for bigger animals. such as using 1' or 2's on geese and 6's of 7's on pigeons.

The 32gr or 36gr etch is the weight of led in the shot. There will be more pellets in a 36gr 7 than a 30gr 7.

There will also be more pellets in a 36gr 7 than a 36gr 4 but the 7's will be smaller pellets.

Like rifles different loads pattern better in different guns.

different chokes push the pellets out different diameter muzzles giving a tighter of more open spread...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

garv123 wrote: »
    12 gauge would be the most common one used for all types of shooting.. vermin game and clays.

the 16 and 20 bore and .410 have a smaller diameter. Ive seen younger lads using the 20bores or smaller women sometimes use them. One of the lads has one and shoots plenty of phesants with them too. !

most rfds will only stock 12g ammo but some of the bigger places or is someone shops their regularly will stock more variation of other bore ammo.

Shot size eg 4, 5 ,6 is the size of each pellet in the case. they normally penetrate more and the lower numbers are suited for bigger animals. such as using 1' or 2's on geese and 6's of 7's on pigeons.

The 32gr or 36gr etch is the weight of led in the shot. There will be more pellets in a 36gr 7 than a 30gr 7.

There will also be more pellets in a 36gr 7 than a 36gr 4 but the 7's will be smaller pellets.

Like rifles different loads pattern better in different guns.

different chokes push the pellets out different diameter muzzles giving a tighter of more open spread...

what would be a common number cartiage for clays?

what would be a common number cartiage for clays?

7,7.5,8 would be common for clays with 9's often used for skeet.

Pattern test on a plate to see what suits your barrels.

DTL would be more 7-7.5 and sporting leaning to 7.5-8. My gun likes 8's :)

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    7,7.5,8 would be common for clays with 9's often used for skeet.

Pattern test on a plate to see what suits your barrels.

DTL would be more 7-7.5 and sporting leaning to 7.5-8. My gun likes 8's :)

can you explain DTL, skeet and sporting?

• Advertisement

can you explain DTL, skeet and sporting?

DTL is 'down the line' or Trap shooting which has many disciplines in itself.

Sporting generally simulates field shooting and hunting

Skeet is more common in the USA and UK but you can do it here too. Its like sporting but with targets being launched from low and high towers.

Good guide here that has a lot info LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Here's a few sites that help with the differences in the disciplines. The best way to see the differences would be to see them each being shot:)

DTL
    Skeet
    Sporting, there's also compact sporting, which simulates the variety of a normal sporting layout but in a smaller area...as 'compact' would suggest:p

Tommyboy,

You might also want to learn about chokes which combined with your gun and cartidge choice, will give you different patterns at different ranges.

Trap shooting will Generally be Full and Three Quarters.

Sporting and skeet will use wider chokes depending on the target being present at the stand.

Found a nice understandable article here but there are plenty more out there.

CHOKES

Again, only pattern testing will give you the best understanding for your set up.

I have a set of Browning Midas and a set of Briley exended and mix and match them as required.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

There's a whole load of things to consider when you get into shooting clays seriously...shot size & weight, barrel length, chokes, rib height. Depending on the discipline you're shooting these things will be come into play to different degrees. If you're just getting into sporting for example..get a good gun that fits you and shoots where you're looking and get practice in. Fit is really your key consideration...you could pick up a €5000 gun that doesn't fit and play with every choke combination, shot size etc. but it won't help.

I bought a cheapish multichoke game gun starting off, that seemed to fit me well but over time it emerged it wasn't perfect for my LOP..was a small bit too short, put a pad to lenghten it and it helped my scores a bit by 2/3 clays a round. Recently looked into getting a much better sporter Beretta that fits me and you wouldn't believe the difference..getting 37/50 sporting now up from the mid-upper 20's previously. Buy with a view to the future:)

Blay wrote: »
    There's a whole load of things to consider when you get into shooting clays seriously...shot size & weight, barrel length, chokes, rib height. Depending on the discipline you're shooting these things will be come into play to different degrees. If you're just getting into sporting for example..get a good gun that fits you and shoots where you're looking and get practice in. Fit is really your key consideration...you could pick up a €5000 gun that doesn't fit and play with every choke combination, shot size etc. but it won't help.

I bought a cheapish multichoke game gun starting off, that seemed to fit me well but over time it emerged it wasn't perfect for my LOP..was a small bit too short, put a pad to lenghten it and it helped my scores a bit by 2/3 clays a round. Recently looked into getting a much better sporter Beretta that fits me and you wouldn't believe the difference..getting 37/50 sporting now up from the mid-upper 20's previously. Buy with a view to the future:)

Good advice there. Fit is extremely important. I once heard a shooter say he would shoot a crowbar with a hole in it if it was accurate and fit him.

I went the same route as Blay did but it was a long time ago. My first gun used to give me a shiner after an evenings shooting. It was a starter gun though and it was a sporter for hunting too. Over time I went through Trap Guns and Sporters and currently have a Browning Ultra XS with adjustable stock which I can use for pretty much most disciples and it fits well. Unfortunately since I bought it new, I have less than 200 shells through it but i hope to rectify that next season. Although I have been tempted by a low recoil semi auto which I could use for field and clays as I am at my limit of 3 guns at present and a dual use gun might be the way I will go.

Or the XS might be out after the duck and snipe :)

Try as many as you can Tommy and if possible go to a gunsmith that can measure you and give you advice on cast, length of pull, etc, to help you narrow down your choices.

• Advertisement

thanks for all the advice lads but i will prob never compete or get serious into clays as gallery rifle is the focus of most my shooting. a couple of my mates have a clay trap and i was considering picking up a semi or o/u just for the odd days clays with friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Some good advice by the lads there. For the casual clay shooting 28 gram 7.5s Will be easy to get and cheap out. 45 to 50 for 250 shells. Even for casual shooting be sure the gun fits well and it Will save you frustration. Also be aware that some semis Will jam using they light clay loads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

garv123 wrote: »
    Some good advice by the lads there. For the casual clay shooting 28 gram 7.5s Will be easy to get and cheap out. 45 to 50 for 250 shells. Even for casual shooting be sure the gun fits well and it Will save you frustration. Also be aware that some semis Will jam using they light clay loads

Great advice here from every one. Regards fit, weather you pay high or low you can still buy a gun that will fit you. Get this right and develop your skill and a mornings clay shooting won't be a frustrating waste of time and money sending lead down range while the little orange discs sail on by.
    When buying shot guns bring some one who knows about gun fit, a good shot or even the RFD don't always know best.

Advertisement