Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Rfrip

MickOLeary wrote: »
    Anyone else think the line up is pretty bad compared to previous years?

Yep I think it's a poor line up esp in comparison to previous years. Fat boy slim headlining is a complete joke!
    Saying that thou at 140 for ticket, there's a few acts il look forward to see, there's plenty to keep me entertained the whole wkend so can't wait!still have hope smashing pumpkins to b announced thou.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

MickOLeary wrote: »
    Anyone else think the line up is pretty bad compared to previous years?

Personally I think compared to last year the calibre of acts is way down. Not saying there's not good bands playing this year, there is but overall seems like there's a lot of bands who are past it/not really usual EP line-up material.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Would I pay to go see Fatboy Slim in a stand alone gig? No. But sure he has a few very good tunes, and "Funk Soul Brother" (possibly all one word) will bring us all back to those halcyon days of Fifa 99 (not quite as good as Fifa 98, but still a bloody good game). We can all do the shopping centre dance to "Praise You."

I think there are plenty of really good musical acts, especially for 150 quid. Throw in Dylan Moran and you're laughing. As I've written at least twice before though, AM, DM and JM better not clash on Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MickOLeary

Highly doubt fatboy slim will play any of his old stuff in full

Saw him at Ultra and he plays pretty much banging electro these days with maybe an accapella or 2 of his old stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I will be as far away from the main stage as possible when Fatboy Slim is on. awful cheesy sh1te.

ah its a bit of craic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Still reckon we're gonna see pet shop boys added.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Reckon we'll see any additions from Longitude lineup? Announcement is conveniently timed straight after

Local Natives have a lovely EP sized gap in their tour schedule :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Modest Mouse might be at EP after' dropping out of Longitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

That vid reminds me of an uncle at a 21st birthday party on the dancefloor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

maximoose wrote: »
    Reckon we'll see any additions from Longitude lineup? Announcement is conveniently timed straight after

Local Natives have a lovely EP sized gap in their tour schedule :)

It'd be great if there's a few of the same acts alright..

Could just be a coincidence though!

Can't really remember other years - were big names added after the initial line-up? Could be a different set-up anyway with the staggered discounts this year I guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Eod100 wrote: »

Can't really remember other years - were big names added after the initial line-up? Could be a different set-up anyway with the staggered discounts this year I guess..

Last year there were some decentish acts announced in the later stages.

Villagers, Wild Beasts, Grimes, Bombay Bicycle Club were all added around June/July IIRC?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Would I pay to go see Fatboy Slim in a stand alone gig? No. But sure he has a few very good tunes, and "Funk Soul Brother" (possibly all one word) will bring us all back to those halcyon days of Fifa 99 (not quite as good as Fifa 98, but still a bloody good game). We can all do the shopping centre dance to "Praise You."

I think there are plenty of really good musical acts, especially for 150 quid. Throw in Dylan Moran and you're laughing. As I've written at least twice before though, AM, DM and JM better not clash on Sunday evening.

Funk soul brother? The tune is called The Rockafeller Skank....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Eod100 wrote: »
    It'd be great if there's a few of the same acts alright..

Could just be a coincidence though!

Things seem to be very late this year due to the court case, acts announced to date will only cover half the weekend going by previous years. I heard they only started booking Salty dog acts a few weeks ago.
    I'm expecting one more biggish name in there purely from the no of acts still to be introduced, not too main stream I hope!

The whole 10th year seems to be forgotten, I'm all for fresh &new acts but I was expecting a bit more back to picnic roots, some of the acts that played the first picnic,
    Groove Armada would be nice, they are playing in Ibiza on the Sun. Some other acts that made a real impact and are all available that weekend!
    Goldframpp, Royksopp, the flaming lips
    LCD Sound-system (not sure if touring)

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Things seem to be very late this year due to the court case, acts announced to date will only cover half the weekend going by previous years. I heard they only started booking Salty dog acts a few weeks ago.
    I'm expecting one more biggish name in there purely from the no of acts still to be introduced, not too main stream I hope!

The whole 10th year seems to be forgotten, I'm all for fresh &new acts but I was expecting a bit more back to picnic roots, some of the acts that played the first picnic,
    Groove Armada would be nice, they are playing in Ibiza on the Sun. Some other acts that made a real impact and are all available that weekend!
    Goldframpp, Royksopp, the flaming lips

100% agree with ya. I'd love goldfrap n roykscopp on the sat night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Rfrip wrote: »
    Yep I think it's a poor line up esp in comparison to previous years. Fat boy slim headlining is a complete joke!
    Saying that thou at 140 for ticket, there's a few acts il look forward to see, there's plenty to keep me entertained the whole wkend so can't wait!still have hope smashing pumpkins to b announced thou.....

Saw Fat boy slim a couple of weeks ago at Electric daisy carnival Vegas. He was class, really looking forward to seeing him at EP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭lc180

Fatfrog wrote: »

I hate to break it to you but they broke up. James Murphy does his own thing now, he did a dj set last year at ep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Rackstar wrote: »
    Saw Fat boy slim a couple of weeks ago at Electric daisy carnival Vegas. He was class, really looking forward to seeing him at EP!!

I'm not trying to be a pr1ck here, but the fact you were at that festival in the first place would suggest that your taste in Electronic Music is of the cheese variety. So, you're obviously going to think he's class. I personally think he's a money grabbing cnut with the most punchable face in the music industry.

lc180 wrote: »
    I hate to break it to you but they broke up. James Murphy does his own thing now, he did a dj set last year at ep

I enjoyed his set actually at that

• Advertisement

lc180 wrote: »

Aha no way didn't hear that!!

nocoverart wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be a pr1ck here, but the fact you were at that festival in the first place would suggest that your taste in Electronic Music is of the cheese variety. So, you're obviously going to think he's class. I personally think he's a money grabbing cnut with the most punchable face in the music industry.

Hahaha you didn't have to try too hard. I went to the festival because I was over there and friends were going, not because I'm a huge electronic music fan. I enjoyed his set and I'm looking forward to seeing him again, nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Rackstar wrote: »
    Hahaha you didn't have to try too hard. I went to the festival because I was over there and friends were going, not because I'm a huge electronic music fan. I enjoyed his set and I'm looking forward to seeing him again, nothing wrong with that.

Was looking forward to it myself but i'm off outta the country now, I'm more of a rock man myself but Should be a laugh, nothing worse than ending the night at a festival with some slow boring indie/rock shíte, with a few drinks on that set is exactly what you want

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Was looking forward to it myself but i'm off outta the country now, I'm more of a rock man myself but Should be a laugh, nothing worse than ending the night at a festival with some slow boring indie/rock shíte, with a few drinks on that set is exactly what you want

My thoughts exactly!! Will be a great finish to the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Funk soul brother? The tune is called The Rockafeller Skank....

They must have forgotten to explain that bit in Fifa 99

• Registered Users Posts: 36 zuluchio

I will be as far away from the main stage as possible when Fatboy Slim is on. awful cheesy sh1te.

Is this a typical set from Fatboy Slim? I really like his albums but he didn't play anything from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Lotta anti-Cook vibes on here?!
    Listening to first few minutes of the Miami set here. So far, I can hear substantial samples off two tracks from an album I remember well - the iconic 'You've come a long way baby'. Intriguingly, I hear wee bits of the KLF also!
    The fat one cannot win. If he simply just played from his iPOD or laptop, as some people seem to assert, one would say that was lame and ****e! If he cuts it up a bit, people don't hear the 'old familiars' & are upset.
    I hasten to add that I am most assuredly not a Cook apologist. However, I'll be giving him a lash. If crappy, I'll go to bed!
    I guess my age might dictate my support, as I kinda like a lot of the very late 80's/90's techno sound & the slight acid flavour of everything is not unwelcome. One of my favourite sets at EP was 808 State a couple of years ago. Says it all.
    BTW, he's now doing a tune that is called 'Star 69' (on a quick Google search) but seems to be heavily based on some guys called Funk Agenda....or maybe FBS was there first?!
    Anyhow, now 15 min in & hear loadsa his stuff!

Maybe he'll actually be good! .....don't believe the hype!!

Martin

'The Trampz' are playing at 8:30 (now) today & 6:30 tomorrow at longitude the dirty old town speakeasy, I strongly advise u check them out if ur around! Proper gig.
    They will be playing the picnic too! Hopefully!!

http://youtu.be/ZRWDNoeOsA4

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Do certain acts play certain days?

I would love to see the arctic monkeys but would only be able to go one day - which day do they play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Yep, they do. The only day ticket, however, is for a Sunday. If you wanted to go Saturday only, for example, I assume you'd have to buy weekend ticket. As far as I remember, Arctic Monkeys are actually playing Sunday so might be in luck! Have a root back through previous posts. In fact, a quick check on their website reveals it is 01.09.13!

Martin

Advertisement