Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Toast

david75 wrote: »
    Most underwhelming announcement in picnic history ever.

I'm still wondering why people are surprised? Has everyone already forgotten the revelations of the behind the scenes strife and losses that were revealed by the court case earlier in the year?

As per the court case the last couple of years were 2.1 million in the red. Part of that was they didn't sell enough tickets because they were too expensive. They've tried to tackle that with a more extreme sliding scale of prices this year. This has meant a LOT of tickets were sold at 90 euro less than the previous year.

I don't know how many but to put the price change into perspective selling 12.5k tickets at 240 nets the same as selling 20k tickets at 150.

Assuming the losses of the last year are just written off and they are planning on this year just paying for itself and not the previous years losses they still have a much smaller budget to work with. There will be cuts somewhere and to be honest I'd prefer them to be in the lineup than in anything else the picnic is known for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Toast wrote: »
    There will be cuts somewhere and to be honest I'd prefer them to be in the lineup than in anything else the picnic is known for.

I know the pointing that you are making, but that just seems like an odd thing to say when talking a bout a music festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I know the pointing that you are making, but that just seems like an odd thing to say when talking a bout a music festival.

sorry to be the pedant here, but i believe its a 'music and arts' festival....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

roll wrote: »

True, but people don't make up their minds about going based on what arts will be on show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Toast

It would be nice if there was no cuts but I think people will be disappointed (probably needlessly) if they keep expecting a couple of last minute big names because I seriously don't see it happening. Best case scenario is that I'm wrong and something massive drops out of nowhere and everyone gets a nice surprise but that should be more in the "well I could win the lotto" style of thoughts.

If that doesn't happen I think the general picnic atmosphere and stuff will carry it which is why I'm hoping that remains unscathed especially as there appears to be a whole new audience that has been attracted to the festival thanks to the lower price who deserve to see it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I fear a price hike at the bar too, given the prices at Longitude and if the organisers hike up the license fee to the beer seller then it will only be passed on to the punter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

roll wrote: »

After my first picnic six years ago I said that I will keep going regardless of whose playing.i always have the days off from work booked off even before the any announcement. It is so much more than the line up. However I do think that they are seriously missing a dance act for after bjork.
    I hope that with all these cut backs and poor line up that they havent happened in other areas of the picnic aswell.

I fear a price hike at the bar too, given the prices at Longitude and if the organisers hike up the license fee to the beer seller then it will only be passed on to the punter.

True actually, twas 6 euro a pint at it wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rfrip wrote: »
    True actually, twas 6 euro a pint at it wasn't it?

Phoenix gigs were 6 too.

ED E wrote: »
    Phoenix gigs were 6 too.

That is steep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Toast wrote: »
    Assuming the losses of the last year are just written off and they are planning on this year just paying for itself and not the previous years losses they still have a much smaller budget to work with. There will be cuts somewhere and to be honest I'd prefer them to be in the lineup than in anything else the picnic is known for.

Tbh I've the exact opposite opinion, they can cut all the hippy-dippy stuff they like as long as it means the lineup is good

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That is steep.

Heineken monopoly tends to do that.
    leakyboots wrote: »
    Tbh I've the exact opposite opinion, they can cut all the hippy-dippy stuff they like as long as it means the lineup is good

+1. They couldnt even afford proper portaloos last year in the sites, proper basic amenities and a good lineup is all that matters, the vast majority of the crowd dont bother with the literature and stuff from my experience of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

ED E wrote: »
    +1. They couldnt even afford proper portaloos last year in the sites, proper basic amenities and a good lineup is all that matters, the vast majority of the crowd dont bother with the literature and stuff from my experience of it.

didn't have any issues with the portaloos last year, love walking around the site looking at all the litlle things that make the picnic "the picnic" The bands might not be the best in the world but i don't care, are they bands i like? yes, will there be bands i've never heard of but like? yes.

If you want just music and not the atmosphere that is created at the picnic at salty dog at 2 in the morning (cause if it was just music there would be no salty dog or body and soul) jumping around while people swing from the ship then longitude would have been the gig for you to go to.

Its always been billed as this why change now? and don't say money as oxygen has often had better/bigger bands but look how it turned out now too.

by keeping it the way it is you keep the vibe, you keep the crowd and you keep the atmosphere.

Like another poster said i book time off work every year before i even hear rumours of who's playing. I never want it to change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Well paying €500,000 for one band last year was criminal.

The hippy dippy stuff is fairly inexpensive and if say body and soul withdrew their involvement as the rumours went earlier this year people would avoid EP en masse.
    The little things and sideshows that are missing from previous years annoy me than any band that is missing from the lineup.

Picnic lineup has never had a complete look to it, even in its sell out years. The popularity of EP grew from more word of mouth about what the place was like than any band that was on the lineup.

I don't think electric picnic is the festival for you then

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

People want to post an EP2013 playlist together based on the acts announced so far?

I'd do one if I knew enough of the acts however at 35 and 2 young kids I am, how shall we say, off the pace. Myself and the wife are going this year for the weekend after a few years break and really looking forward to it.

Twud be nice to get some playlists to give us an idea of the music we can look forward to....anyone?:D

Why?

I've been to plenty of Picnics and love it but I don't pay much/any attention to the arts and crafts and theater aspects.

I don't go there to learn to massage properly or do yoga, I go there to see bands. The Oxegen lineup never did it for me, the Picnic one does.

But if they, like Toast suggested, start cutting from the music lineup in order to keep other things on the bill I don't care for, then they'll lose a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Why?

I've been to plenty of Picnics and love it but I don't pay much/any attention to the arts and crafts and theater aspects.

I don't go there to learn to massage properly or do yoga, I go there to see bands. The Oxegen lineup never did it for me, the Picnic one does.

But if they, like Toast suggested, start cutting from the music lineup in order to keep other things on the bill I don't care for, then they'll lose a customer.

Again stuff like the yoga is inexpensive to the organisers , i'd say they barely give any more than just free tickets etc.

lbj666 wrote: »
    Again stuff like the yoga is inexpensive to the organisers , i'd say they barely give any more than just free tickets etc.

Look what you've done now Toast biggrin.png

That was just an example. I've no ideas of the ins and outs of how much the stuff apart from the music lineup costs, I was just responding to Toast's view that he'd prefer the music lineup to suffer in favour of keeping some of the other stuff that some, like me, consider expendable.

People go for different reasons to EP, as long we're having a good time and get home in one piece who cares

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

danniemcq wrote: »
    If you want just music and not the atmosphere that is created at the picnic at salty dog at 2 in the morning (cause if it was just music there would be no salty dog or body and soul) jumping around while people swing from the ship then longitude would have been the gig for you to go to.
    eh? :confused:
    the Salty Dog is a music stage, and B&S has 3 music stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

eh? :confused:
    the Salty Dog is a music stage, and B&S has 3 music stages.

yeah i know but they aren't like tents etc at normal festivals, can't really see big names performing at either. both stages are to small. the whole B&S and Salty Dog to me are more of the soul of the picnic and not the music stages if that makes sense.

I mean one is a hole in the ground and the other is a boat in the middle of the woods. If it was made more commercial these would probably be done away with and another tent added (maybe more the B&S stage as Salty is very close to camping etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i'd regard them as part of the music stuff to be honest.
    the "arty" stuff to me is paying Ryan Tubridy, Miriam O'Callaghan and David McWilliams to give lectures, Gavin Friday and BP Fallon to do spoken word recitals, stage plays, drag-queen bingo, Darina Allen doing cookery classes, science gallery, etc etc.
    personally, I wouldn't care one bit if all that stuff was scrapped and the ticket prices were reduced by a tenner. but then, in 8 years of attending EP, i've never set foot in the Mindfield area and honestly don't even know where it is as i've no interest from looking at what they put on.
    i'd imagine the vast majority of people wouldn't miss them either. there'd be all sorts of whinging and complaining if a main tent or 2 was scrapped though, let alone the general complaints about the lacklustre lineup this year.
    you don't see many people saying "oh i can't wait to see what the lineup for the Arts Council Literary Stage is"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭miss.piggy

Is there a day by day line up published anywhere yet? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Fugs!!

It seems to me that alot of people would prefer to be at a traditional oxegen type festival. Ep was never meant to be a main stream festival. Im not an arty person but I do love the artiness of ep. It helps to create a warm, safe and somewhat mature atmosphere. The lineup might not suit everyone and indeed I've seen better ep lune ups but I think people are failing to see it as an oppurtunity to explore new music. A learning oppurtunity shall we say.

Im a married 36 year old man and I can remember being at feiles in thurles. There is NO comparison to ep. Your absolutely spoilled for choice.

Pretty silly thing to say tbh

I haven't had any interest in the arts stuff, been to the comedy stage once or twice I think but that's about the height of it. I go solely for the music on offer, and that hasn't stopped me having a fantastic time each of the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

GK1001 wrote: »
    People want to post an EP2013 playlist together based on the acts announced so far?

I'd do one if I knew enough of the acts however at 35 and 2 young kids I am, how shall we say, off the pace. Myself and the wife are going this year for the weekend after a few years break and really looking forward to it.

Twud be nice to get some playlists to give us an idea of the music we can look forward to....anyone?:D

Electric Picnic have an official playlist on Spotify that you could have a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭endainoz

I was fairly happy withe additions, was really hoping for hot chip but two door will still be a great addition among others....

People's grief with the lineup is understandable if its the mainstream acts they are looking for but I always think a festival is worth going to when there's 6 or 7 bands that you really want to see. I think I counted about ten that I can't wait for, anything else really is a bonus. And it's always great to find a band that you never heard of and find out how amazing they are.

Isn't that what's going to a festival is all about?

miss.piggy wrote: »
    Is there a day by day line up published anywhere yet? Thanks

Anyone?

miss.piggy wrote: »
    Anyone?

Nope, wont be until a week or so before the fest that the full breakdown is out.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks. I can't go on the Saturday so was thinking of getting a day ticket for the Sunday maybe but it would depend on what acts are on that day. Makes it hard to plan ahead when they leave it so late to announce!
    Thanks

Advertisement