Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Benzor3000 wrote: »
    And here's where the maths comes in. Across those five stages/tents last year, a total of 127 acts played over the Friday, Saturday and Sunday. As of now, there are 74 acts on the bill. That's 40% down on last year (or two stages worth). Draw your own conclusions.

53 acts still to be announced!!! Cool!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Benzor3000

Hehe. Or none.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

I wouldn't be getting my hopes up about another main line-up announcement, as anyone who follows the EP Facebook page'll probably have worked out by now. When asked repeated questions about further additions to the Little Big Tent, for example, the standard reply is "acts already announced will be performing there/acts from the current line-up will be playing there", studiously avoiding letting people know whether there are more names to be announced. Such reticence speaks volumes.

When it did actually bother to answer a question about general additions to the line-up last Friday, the response was: "There will be more acts announced for Body and Soul, Trenchtown and Salty Dog." Whilst that doesn't necessarily mean that there are no main arena (Main Stage, Electric Arena, Crawdaddy Stage, Cosby Stage, Little Big Tent) acts to be added, it doesn't bode well.

And here's where the maths comes in. Across those five stages/tents last year, a total of 127 acts played over the Friday, Saturday and Sunday. As of now, there are 74 acts on the bill. That's 40% down on last year (or two stages worth). Draw your own conclusions.

If they were going to reduce the acts by 40% what options do they have, they aren't dropping a stage by all accounts, do they shorten the running hours of each stage, increase set times for each band? It's quite possible that they plan on reducing the # of acts booked but I doubt it would be as severe a cull as 127 > 74

• Registered Users Posts: 14,450 ✭✭✭✭cson

whitewave wrote: »
    Got a really decent 4 man tent in halfords for 50 euro, maybe give them a try. Just make sure whatever you buy has two layers, those ones with only one layer are terrible!

I'll agree with that; single layer tents are a ****ing disaster. The condensation you'll build up from sleeping the night in there will give you a nice little shower if you knock off the the sides of the tent at any stage. Plus they get freezing cold.

Anyways; what kind of timeline would you be looking at this to sell out in? Hadn't intended going but after a super weekend at Indie 13 I've got the festival bug and want to go, financing the ticket might take a couple of weeks for me though so I'm keen to figure out if camping tix will sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I wouldn't be getting my hopes up about another main line-up announcement, as anyone who follows the EP Facebook page'll probably have worked out by now. When asked repeated questions about further additions to the Little Big Tent, for example, the standard reply is "acts already announced will be performing there/acts from the current line-up will be playing there", studiously avoiding letting people know whether there are more names to be announced. Such reticence speaks volumes.

When it did actually bother to answer a question about general additions to the line-up last Friday, the response was: "There will be more acts announced for Body and Soul, Trenchtown and Salty Dog." Whilst that doesn't necessarily mean that there are no main arena (Main Stage, Electric Arena, Crawdaddy Stage, Cosby Stage, Little Big Tent) acts to be added, it doesn't bode well.

at this stage in 2012, there were 62 acts announced.
    in 2011, it was 71.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Benzor3000

Very true, Ghostdancer, and I really hope you're right. All that I'm saying is that, based on the very odd reply to line-up questions on the FB page, I don't have much confidence in there being more acts announced for the the main bill. It's just the way in which EP is incredibly selective when it comes to answering queries that unsettles me. Doesn't like the question? Then it won't answer it.

When it was asked on Friday whether this was the full line-up or more acts were to be added, the response was this, as I quoted earlier: "There will be more acts announced for Body and Soul, Trenchtown and Salty Dog."

Whatever happens, I'll still be there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Very true, Ghostdancer, and I really hope you're right. All that I'm saying is that, based on the very odd reply to line-up questions on the FB page, I don't have much confidence in there being more acts announced for the the main bill. It's just the way in which EP is incredibly selective when it comes to answering queries that unsettles me. Doesn't like the question? Then it won't answer it.

When it was asked on Friday whether this was the full line-up or more acts were to be added, the response was this, as I quoted earlier: "There will be more acts announced for Body and Soul, Trenchtown and Salty Dog."

Whatever happens, I'll still be there. :)

Well out of the odd twenty enquiries about the little Big tent line up, they eventually answered one guy on the Facebook page saying that the Little Big tent was going to be there, its weird how they are not saying acts to be announced for Body and Soul, Trenchtown, Salty Dog and the Little Big Tent too. Even if they filled the LBT with Irish DJs like Fish Go Deep, Reid, Mmoths, Forrests, Matador (I know he played last year but he was really good) I wouldn't mind, just as long as there was a few variations going on in the various stages.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Mmoths

He said he had "very exciting news" to share with Ireland this week, EP would be my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

maximoose wrote: »
    He said he had "very exciting news" to share with Ireland this week, EP would be my guess

I think Mmoths is even doing family BBQ's and Weddings at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Just wondering if anyone had tips for some new bands and dance acts worth checking out, what are your top 5. Me I'm looking forward to checking out the 1975, Disclosure, Kodaline,Warpaint and Robert Plant.

• Advertisement

Just wondering if anyone had tips for some new bands and dance acts worth checking out, what are your top 5. Me I'm looking forward to checking out the 1975, Disclosure, Kodaline,Warpaint and Robert Plant.

I don't really have a top 5 at this years EP unfortunately. Check out Blondes and Chvrches, both solid acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,450 ✭✭✭✭cson

Out of the comedy acts I'd recommend David O'Doherty anyway. Always find him entertaining and relevant; his "sent a text to the person the text was about" and "my beefs 20XX" are excellent routines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Tiga.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Crystal Fighters will put on a good show, Kinda traditional Spanish/ folk meets electronic although cheesy in parts has strong melodies & deep routed harmonies u might only notice after a few listens.
    Their music videos are absolutely 'off the wall'!! Love them!! Definitely worth a look!

If you like the link also check out some of their other songs like "wave", "Bridge of bones", "are we one", "at home" (used in a google add) etc etc.

http://youtu.be/d9n7DMqbwgU

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sdgbt

Check these out (will only post links so there isn't a wall of youtube videos):

Braids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwPZmcgUBJM

Big Black Delta https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js6j_89Gjqg

Mo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lddHsCBdQu8

Mount Kimbie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdYj-jCcMFg

This doesn't cover dance, but someone else will probably have some suggestions.

3 and a bit weeks people!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

what's this robert plant fella like?!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

sdgbt wrote: »
    Check these out (will only post links so there isn't a wall of youtube videos):

Braids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwPZmcgUBJM

3 and a bit weeks people!!!

Cheers, really liking that Braids song. I'll check out more of their stuff, can you recommend some other songs please?

I'd recommend John Grant (even though I'm not gone on his new album)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭endainoz

Would be really interested to see John grant, but the ones I can't wait for would be little green cars, disclosure, chvrches, the strypes and the after their epic Glastonbury show the arctic monkeys should tear the house down Sunday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

endainoz wrote: »
    Would be really interested to see John grant, but the ones I can't wait for would be little green cars, disclosure, chvrches, the strypes and the after their epic Glastonbury show the arctic monkeys should tear the house down Sunday night

I cant wait for them, just wish it was on the Saturday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Tiga.

I just gave him a listen, is he a serious artist? Reminded me of Flight of the Concords.

Anyone got any other electronic acts recommendations? I've tried the Knife and I love the first half of Silent Shout. 2nd half is a bit iffy. But do they just play the new album?

Tried Chvrches but they sound a bit Ellie Goulding. Disclosure ain't my thing either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

roll wrote: »
    what's this robert plant fella like?!:D

He used to be the backing singer in Pink Floyd, Nothing special....

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

I've tried the Knife and I love the first half of Silent Shout. 2nd half is a bit iffy. But do they just play the new album

Their current tour is more or less a fixed setlist as it includes a lot of choreographed dance routines.

It's basically the new album (minus the 20 minutes tracks and the 30 second tracks) and a couple of other tunes like SIlent Shout.

Google "The Knife setlist" and you should find the details pretty quickly.

I just gave him a listen, is he a serious artist? Reminded me of Flight of the Concords.

Anyone got any other electronic acts recommendations? I've tried the Knife and I love the first half of Silent Shout. 2nd half is a bit iffy. But do they just play the new album?

Tried Chvrches but they sound a bit Ellie Goulding. Disclosure ain't my thing either.

Chvrches sound nothing like Ellie Goulding, and Silent Shout is a masterpiece the whole way through. You buffoon you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

If I was going to Electric Picnic this year (and I really wish I was) my top five to check out would be The 1975, Little Green Cars, Savages, Palma Violets and MS MR. The line-up is brilliant this year. There's loads of other decent acts too like SOAK and I would check out bands like Peace since they got good enough reviews from playing Whelan's a few weeks back. And then of course Franz Ferdinand, Artic Monkeys and The Knife would be on the list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭gubber

Anyone else incredibly excited for this? :D My top 5 would be My Bloody Valentine, Arctic Monkeys, Johnny Marr, Bjork, Franz Ferdinand. But then again there's so many other acts that I'm dying to see. Fatboy Slim & Robert Plant are going to be amazing! EP cannot come soon enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I've tried to like the knife but not happening!
    Looking forward to disclosure chvrches friendly fires n Hercules n love affair in case Bacardi . Recently discovered Mano le tough so will def check him out too
    No danger of any clashes this year anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Yeah. Serious DJ. Check out his Boiler Room / 6 mix sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

nocoverart wrote: »
    Chvrches sound nothing like Ellie Goulding, and Silent Shout is a masterpiece the whole way through. You buffoon you :)

Nah, it really fades away after Like a Pen. If I love the first half would I like the new album?

And Chvrches, I dunno, just a bit crap really. IMO. You twat you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Nah, it really fades away after Like a Pen. If I love the first half would I like the new album?

And Chvrches, I dunno, just a bit crap really. IMO. You twat you :)

There's: Aeroplane - Hercules and the love affair - Krystal Klear. Maybe they're a bit dancey?
    A bit more electronic: Mount Kimbie - Mo - Factory Floor - Chrome Sparks - Young Wonder.

EP have a playlist on spotify. Nialler9 has a playlist on soundcloud.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

My top 6:P are

Franz Ferdinand
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
    The 1975
    The Strypes
    Ocean Colour Scene
    Miles Kane

Advertisement