Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yep terrible news about the EP. It was magic last year, and its a great festival. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

One thing I don't understand is how are Irish Times at liberty to be offering two tickets to people as part of a competition , if there is all this uncertainity? Saw a promotion for it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

You're only a customer after you've bought a ticket, so at the moment you are only a potential customer.

If they're unsure at all about putting it on it seems to make sense not to release tickets and then have to cancel thus incurring fees they don't need to. I think they're being professional. It's a pain, but it won't be you or me with our mortgages/livelihoods on the line.

Fair point. I guess the silence is kind of good news in a way cos if it definitely wasn't going ahead they'd have presumably flagged it by now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

If there is no announcement by the end of March I will officially be giving up hope.
    Until then, Smashing Pumpkins to headline?
    Who's with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

If there is no announcement by the end of March I will officially be giving up hope.
    Until then, Smashing Pumpkins to headline?
    Who's with me?

Smashing Pumpkins at EP? not a hope! there's more a chance of Crystal Swing headlining LOL

• Advertisement

What? Why?
    Queens of the Stone Age perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Marseyred

I'm at the point where I don't even care who plays as long as its on !!!!!! Wish they would give us some news......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Beardyman

Hmm...this video just thrown up on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDrsdEec4I4 - says it's an Electric PIcnic 2013 Teaser?!? Put up by a group who do marketing etc for festivals, hopefully a ray of light.

Beardyman wrote: »
    Hmm...this video just thrown up on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDrsdEec4I4 - says it's an Electric PIcnic 2013 Teaser?!? Put up by a group who do marketing etc for festivals, hopefully a ray of light.

Doesn't seem the most legit - ''We are young and ambitious & simply love Music :)

No copyright needed, cause we use free clips from Festivals and its good marketing for them. We help to put together nice stuff for You people out there. ''

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mrs_agreeable

This is really starting to bother me now... They can't not put it on, can they?! Its the tenth anniversary!!! I've been trying to hang onto my ticket money since before xmas, wish they'd make some sort of announcement.... They better get Daft Punk and Aphex Twin to make up for all this stress they're causing us.

• Advertisement

This is really starting to bother me now... They can't not put it on, can they?! Its the tenth anniversary!!! I've been trying to hang onto my ticket money since before xmas, wish they'd make some sort of announcement.... They better get Daft Punk and Aphex Twin to make up for all this stress they're causing us.

Hope it will go ahead.. But with the losses they've been making the last few years I wouldn't be too surprised if it didn't :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Carroll reckons that Kasabian are terrible headliners, but that Longitude has a great line up:confused: I can maybe buy the first bit, but the last bit is pure Phantom 105.2 evening crew pretentious nonsense.

Terrible news about EP though. I really hope they sort something out; I've already booked the weekend off work.

More like pretentious posting on the internet nonsense.

Carroll left Phantom a few months back, he can't stand the station and has numerous goes at them on twitter and his blog. The most recent over Alison Curtis.

I generally don't agree with him but he totally nailed Kasabian. And so far Longitude has the best line up of an irish festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

Eod100 wrote: »
    Hope it will go ahead.. But with the losses they've been making the last few years I wouldn't be too surprised if it didn't :(

Completely understand, BUT in the spirit of the 10th anniversary they should just go ahead and make it the nail in the coffin festival, a nothing to lose type deal!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Completely understand, BUT in the spirit of the 10th anniversary they should just go ahead and make it the nail in the coffin festival, a nothing to lose type deal!

Nothing to lose except massive amounts of money. :eek::eek:

I'd rather they wrapped it up and came back stronger next year. Or made it a 1 or 2 day event.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

lordgoat wrote: »
    Nothing to lose except massive amounts of money. :eek::eek:

I'd rather they wrapped it up and came back stronger next year. Or made it a 1 or 2 day event.

All or nothing! Burn out rather than fade out!
    No I truly hope it goes ahead this year and that they can figure out away to sustain the festival for years to come, but I s'pose in reality that would mean some sort of change to their current structure, or a break, to work out the money side of things. I'm just not willing to accept no picnic this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

I'm hoping they are waiting for Daft Punk to announce their tour dates; one of which will be EP. This will cause crazy hype and they will put tickets on sale the next day selling out in 5mins, which will be just enough time for me to bag my ticket :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

If EP goes ahead this year I honestly think it will be their best line-up yet (IMO anyways) Longitude and more so Forbidden Fruit has taking out the generic, play it safe formula already. Oxegen is probably on so there should be no repeat of The Killers type Headliner. They may be low on finances? WELL BOOHOO! might actually mean some good low to mid-tier type bands that play their socks off live. If I was picking the headliners I would go with nothing fancy, probably Aphex Twin for one. He has a huge cult following here, and would sell a lot of tickets. Perhaps Atoms for Peace too ( I mean It's bloody Thom 'Feckin' Yorke without paying Radiohead like prices ) and personal preference The Knife :p

Have a good SOLID line-up right the way through with plenty of diversity, and then the true music lover will make sure EP is back on It's feet in no time. No need for fads Like Kasabian or The Killers to sell tickets, just a bit of imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mrporro

244171.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

nocoverart wrote: »
    No need for fads Like Kasabian or The Killers to sell tickets, just a bit of imagination.

At this stage they're gonna need a similar motr headliner to shift enough tickets to make it viable imo.
    With all the stand alone gigs, together with FF, Longditude, B&S, Indie, already after taking gig goers cash, it's gonna have to be something special to make people part with their dwindling amount of disposable cash.
    The easier option is to book a sh!te mainstream act like green day for eg, that will be guaranteed to sell plenty of tickets (the sunday last year for killers and elbow was packed).
    I've already shelled out sh1tloads of cash for upcoming gigs, and am having to justify each purchase. It's now a case (for me at least) of 'are these bands that i really want to see?' instead of 'i wouldn't mind seeing that band'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

lordgoat wrote: »
    More like pretentious posting on the internet nonsense.

Carroll left Phantom a few months back, he can't stand the station and has numerous goes at them on twitter and his blog. The most recent over Alison Curtis.

I generally don't agree with him but he totally nailed Kasabian. And so far Longitude has the best line up of an irish festival.

I actually didn't know that. But just to clarify; he didn't get his way, left, and now criticises them?! He sounds like the anti-Oasis_Dublin. He's obviously humble to the core!!

As I said, I can see his point about Kasabian. On the Longitude thing, we can agree to disagree.

Any examples of Carroll's criticism of Phantom? I can only find examples by other IT journalists, like thisl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

"Meanwhile, there's some good news for fans of another popular festival, Electric Picnic. An inside source has confirmed that the September event will definitely be back on the bill this year with some big-name acts lined up for the Stradbally event. "It's full steam ahead for the Picnic. Organisers are hoping for another great event this year," he said.
    "
    http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/music/revellers-gear-up-for-kasabian-and-co-at-forbidden-fruit-gigs-29113466.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Big name eh?

I want to know NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Marseyred

Sound good - Hopefully!! I'm remaining optimistic until end of month so hopefully they'll announce something by Easter??

Has to be Depeche Mode

Moby perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Dickie Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Speculating on the term "big-name acts" is kinda pointless as it is an empty marketing phrase that no one is ever held accountable for bandying around when it is undeserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

"Meanwhile, there's some good news for fans of another popular festival, Electric Picnic. An inside source has confirmed that the September event will definitely be back on the bill this year with some big-name acts lined up for the Stradbally event. "It's full steam ahead for the Picnic. Organisers are hoping for another great event this year," he said.
    "
    http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/music/revellers-gear-up-for-kasabian-and-co-at-forbidden-fruit-gigs-29113466.html

I'd probably trust Jim Carroll over the Evening Herald "quoting" an "inside source".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

Bowie is the Sunday night! wouldn't bet against DM either, also Aphex Twin is more or less confirmed.

Ceephax acid crew is playing that castle festival in offaly is it?

• Advertisement

shed head wrote: »
    Bowie is the Sunday night! wouldn't bet against DM either, also Aphex Twin is more or less confirmed.

Ceephax acid crew is playing that castle festival in offaly is it?

Where's this info coming from? :confused::confused:

Advertisement