Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Dublin Gospel Choir are playing on the main stage Sunday morning/afternoon this year anyway.
    maybe the Trinity Orchestra will get the Saturday slot?

every year I say im making it in time for the gospel choir but every year im dying in my tent at that time. I leave any self restraint I have at the car when I park up on the Friday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Pretty sure there are BBQ areas yeah, the Prohibited Items section on the site says you can't bring them in to the arena - but doesn't mention the campsite

DamoYoung wrote: »
    I know there is definitely 1 more main acts announcement. I'm hoping 2 believe it or not. At this stage I don't care, there is loads of great acts down there already, I can't wait, Festihut booked and all.

My B&S tip : The Dead Heavys. Great band. Gonna hear a lot about them over next 12 months!!

Excited much?? :-)

festihut booked too, have never been, is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DamoYoung

Rfrip wrote: »
    festihut booked too, have never been, is it worth it?

Have never stayed in boutique camping before but have been informed its well worth it. In our Festihut village we have our own toilets, proper toilets, like the toilets in your house. We also have our own hot showers I've been told. We are also right next to the main stage area, so no big long treks across massive campsites, you should be there in minutes. Nice sit in breakfast places, phone chargers etc. Trust me, it'll be worth it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dncl

This is my first time going to EP and I'v never gone to a camping festival in general. I'm wondering if someone can give me a list of essentials to bring down just so I dont forget any obvious things cheers.

• Advertisement

DamoYoung wrote: »
    Have never stayed in boutique camping before but have been informed its well worth it. In our Festihut village we have our own toilets, proper toilets, like the toilets in your house. We also have our own hot showers I've been told. We are also right next to the main stage area, so no big long treks across massive campsites, you should be there in minutes. Nice sit in breakfast places, phone chargers etc. Trust me, it'll be worth it!!

I've stayed in the boutique camping the last two years and I'd never go back to the normal camping! It's the first thing when you go into the boutique camping isn't it?as in the festihut place!it was the actual bunk bed that sold it for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

dncl wrote: »
    This is my first time going to EP and I'v never gone to a camping festival in general. I'm wondering if someone can give me a list of essentials to bring down just so I dont forget any obvious things cheers.

Booze, baby whipes, cash and a wife beater. Sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 22 martandr

Does EP usually have an app?

martandr wrote: »
    Does EP usually have an app?

Nope with the way they are going were lucky to have a website😄

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sdgbt

Would also add binbags to the list (loads of uses if it rains), hand sanitizer (because portaloos) and would second the jumper for the night time. Even if its absolutely roasting during the day, it would still get very cold at night. :)

• Advertisement

What the **** is the deal with that? Like every norwegian festival have an app...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sdgbt

What the **** is the deal with that? Like every norwegian festival have an app...

I couldn't see myself using an app even if they did have one.

Half of the appeal of a festival for me is to get away from technology for a while. Also, I've had some funny encounters with random people over a waterlogged print out at EP. I don't know what it is but they always seem to find me and my timetable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Similar to the disposable bbq question, I was thinking of bringing a small camping stove even just boiling water for tea/pot noodles etc. Would I be able to use that in a designated area or should I just leave it at home?

sdgbt wrote: »
    I couldn't see myself using an app even if they did have one.

Half of the appeal of a festival for me is to get away from technology for a while. Also, I've had some funny encounters with random people over a waterlogged print out at EP. I don't know what it is but they always seem to find me and my timetable :D

Hmm. The app is a nice way to get info if a band cancels or get moved. And it's also nice to have a map of the festival. Roskilde even had a app for ONLY the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Toast

Hmm. The app is a nice way to get info if a band cancels or get moved. And it's also nice to have a map of the festival. Roskilde even had a app for ONLY the food.

EP is a bit smaller than Roskilde. You'll be fine without one. As mentioned they've just barely got the website up and running (it was a big static image before) so if that wasn't a priority an app is way down on their list of things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I can't ****ing wait.

Toast wrote: »
    EP is a bit smaller than Roskilde. You'll be fine without one. As mentioned they've just barely got the website up and running (it was a big static image before) so if that wasn't a priority an app is way down on their list of things to do.

Ah, I see. I just find it very funny that small festivals in Norway have an App and not EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

What time would people recommend I try to get there for? I'll be leaving limerick so need to factor in the 2ish hours travel time and all that. Some people I know are trying to organize a bus to go but want to leave at 3pm, which seems terribly late seeing as there's still the need to get your wristband, find a good place for tents and pitch said tents...

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Mr.S wrote: »
    Small camping gas things are allowed, you'll probably get away with it just using it near your tent too.

Brilliant, cheers! Going to be my first EP and first time camping at a festival so I'm not too well up on things :P

What time would people recommend I try to get there for? I'll be leaving limerick so need to factor in the 2ish hours travel time and all that. Some people I know are trying to organize a bus to go but want to leave at 3pm, which seems terribly late seeing as there's still the need to get your wristband, find a good place for tents and pitch said tents...

ah id def leave earlier than that. I usually leave home at 11 and get there for 1ish, smallish Q for wristbands etc, head into main arena then after a few cans at camp for about 4 ish

ok im starting to get really excited now!!better dust off the aul wellies

• Advertisement

Ah, I see. I just find it very funny that small festivals in Norway have an App and not EP.

It was only about 2006 when Irish festivals started giving out information like timetables for free before the festival and that was only because of a big public backlash and the promoters getting cornered with the question "why are kids who've spent €240 spending another €10 to find out when the bands are playing?".

Apps when they are done here are usually made by which ever mobile phone company is promoting the festival. Vodafone is the one this year and they were also last. They had some sort of Facebook related app but it was just corporate fluff to make you come into their area of the festival and get more stuff sold to you. Really until the festival feels it is in their interest / expected of them I don't think they'll bother making their own considering their reluctance regards the timetables I mentioned above.

Just follow the festival and hashtag on twitter and you will get much more useful information anyway.
    What time would people recommend I try to get there for?

Always leave as early as you can. The arena opens at 4 I believe so arriving at 5 will result in missing some early acts. There are two major rushes for spaces.. the morning and then when people get off work after 5 so you do not want to be caught in that second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

I live in Clare & generally leave my house around 11am and am usually on site (parked, wrist band, checked into boutique) before 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

That it in terms of acts to be announced?

Would absolutely love if Daughter played, but don't see it happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Anybody know what the crowd was like last year?

I don't want to queue hours for the ATM and I'm skeptical about leaving some in the tent. Carrying 100+ euro on me at all times is risky for a man bringing two boxes of wine.

I know a few years ago it was incredibly safe but just wondering if its too risky leaving cash in the tent.

Also, I heard putting a padlock in the zip is a bit of an indicator that money/valuables are inside and make your tent more likely to be searched by scummers. Is there any truth to this? I mean, it would take about 30 seconds to get into a locked tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Chewabacca wrote: »

I don't want to queue hours for the ATM and I'm skeptical about leaving some in the tent. Carrying 100+ euro on me at all times is risky for a man bringing two boxes of wine.

I know a few years ago it was incredibly safe but just wondering if its too risky leaving cash in the tent.

Also, I heard putting a padlock in the zip is a bit of an indicator that money/valuables are inside and make your tent more likely to be searched by scummers. Is there any truth to this? I mean, it would take about 30 seconds to get into a locked tent.

Jaysus, I'd never leave money in the tent - too risky. Queue's for the ATM shouldn't be too bad if you head in early. Or could use one of those lockers over the weekend to mind your cash.

Don't think the lock is a good idea - like you say doesn't act as much as a deterrent and could end up just attracting people to rob it!

Last year there was some crime... this is not indicative of the crowd but the few people who went specifically to do that. You'll probably find it will be the same again this year.

You may or may not get away with cash in your tent there really is no way of knowing. There are lockups that cost 15 euro so if you are worried about it pop your spare cash in there or you could try not get wallet losing drunk or try time your ATM visits to unpopular times.

I've always thought the padlock thing actually singling out your tent for theft is a bit of an urban myth in that by the time someone knows the padlock is on it (you need to use small luggage padlocks for tents) they've already made the conscious effort of trying to open a tent that's not their. It is certainly true if they want to they can cut into the tent (or other easier methods I won't mention) though so it is not going to stop anyone at that point apart from the odd drunk who mistook your tent for theirs or very amateur tent thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

Last year gig locker had lockers for rent for those camping for valuables. I go campervan but used them for coats and beer as just beside entrance and saved a walk back at night.

E mail was giglockerltd@gmail.com to book. Don't know if they are operating this year. They were great crack as well

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I've always thought the padlock thing actually singling out your tent for theft is a bit of an urban myth in that by the time someone knows the padlock is on it (you need to use small luggage padlocks for tents) they've already made the conscious effort of trying to open a tent that's not their. It is certainly true if they want to they can cut into the tent (or other easier methods I won't mention) though so it is not going to stop anyone at that point apart from the odd drunk who mistook your tent for theirs or very amateur tent thieves.
    agreed.

if the lock is on the fly-net, or any of the inside zips, then no-one will be able to see it from the outside, so it wouldn't attract any interest.

if someone goes into the tent to try rob it, they're either going to break the lock/tear the tent, and rob it (which they would have done anyway without a lock), or else not bother and move on to another tent.

so it's basically use a lock and possibly not get robbed, or don't use a lock and definitely get robbed....

a few years ago the tents around mine were robbed, and mine had a lock on it on the inside and nothing happened.
    having said that, most festivals in recent years i haven't bothered with the lock and nothing has been taken...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Last year there was some crime... this is not indicative of the crowd but the few people who went specifically to do that. You'll probably find it will be the same again this year.

You may or may not get away with cash in your tent there really is no way of knowing. There are lockups that cost 15 euro so if you are worried about it pop your spare cash in there or you could try not get wallet losing drunk or try time your ATM visits to unpopular times.

Based on a few oxegens and picnic last year I'll say one thing for padlocks, anytime I've used them I haven't been robbed. That being said, I've never had anything taken from my tent.

Oxegen 05 and 06 I used padlocks and the theory I was working on was that thieves would prefer to get in and out of the tent seamlessly and leave it as is, the longer it takes you to notice they've been in the further away they can be before you decide to try and do something about it.

Last year was my first picnic, we had a lovely visitor every night of the festival. My GF woke each time as they were opening the zip (I'm not a wimp, just an extremely heavy sleeper!) and when she roared at them they'd flash a light in her face and leave. But we were both sleeping with any real valuables enough on our person that I'd like to think they couldn't have got near without waking us anyway.

The two people that got real bother over the weekend were one girl who had her handbag at her feet which were at the tent entrance, she awoke in time to wrestle the bag back. Another one of the lads passed out with his wallet under his head, but somehow with his head at the entrance and woke up minus seventy blips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

^^ sounds horrendous. Definitely going to lock the inner door, it's a great tip, all of the positives with none of the negatives. Going to try do the festival on the cheap this year, no pints or any of that craic and plenty of pepperoni, beef jerky, energy bars and other such foods that are small but substantial. I'm going to try make the 3 days on 60 euro so losing it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Have a great tip for anyone with a big tent. A few years ago at Glastonbury we had our brothers ticket for the event for some reason. He wasn't arriving until the Friday so we had to keep his ticket safe for him.

My cousin put a folder with valuables in it under the floor of one of the inner rooms. In some big tents the interior rooms are a completely different bit of plastic so you can put stuff in between the two ground sheets.

It's great until you're too pissed to remember you put it there and have a panic attack looking for your valuables.

Advertisement