Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Back to the lineup, is there going to be a little big tent because if there is surely there are more electronic acts & DJs to be announced?
    there is definitely a Little Big Tent, Mano Le Tough said that he's closing it on the Sunday, and Big Black Delta created an event on facebook that says they're playing there on the Saturday.

a guy on the EP forum that works for POD i think, said last week that the Little Big Tent and a few small names would be announced...
    a few Irish acts have been added to the bill without any announcement over the last few days, so hopefully there'll be a few more names for the Little Big Tent.
    with Trenchtown being announced tomorrow, and stuff like Trailer Park, Algorythm/Rave in the Woods, Salty Dog and Mindfield still to be announced, there's still some hope...

looking at the announced names, these are the ones that i could see playing the LBT:

SATURDAY:
    Tiga
    Hudson Mohawke
    Cyril Hahn
    New Jackson
    Space Dimension Controller
    Big Black Delta
    Factory Floor
    Daithí
    Forrests

SUNDAY:
    Mano Le Tough
    Blondes
    Mount Kimbie (possibly, not that "dancey" really though)

possibly a few of the small unknown ones (to me anyway!) on Sunday are dance-y, but even still, i would expect a few more names on that day at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

YcrwHuD.png

As for the Tyskie can's I've seen them in lots and lots of places all over the place... They're not too hard to come across. It's not a bad beer even when warm and comes in at a nice 5.6%

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Spaceshanty

Mr.S wrote: »
    Ok a bit of an overreaction there...

Friday used to scaled back anyway back in the day did it not?

The festival nearly didn't even happen this year, I think we're very lucky to have got it this year AND most of us got it at the €149 price, which is a ****ing steal.

While I was disappointed at the scaled back Friday when it was announced yesterday, I wasn't surprised. I remember posting on here months ago saying that if the festival happened, it would be a 2 day affair or scaled back. The festival hasn't been making money, they have to change something.

I'll take a scaled back EP / Less impressive lineup (thought I adore the lineup this year) over nothing at all any day.

Very excited for this!

MrS , my original point being that this amd other cutbacks should have been common knowledge from the outset. The early bird always happened, but the cheaper tickets for 'loyal fans' as it was a 10th anniversary was a con and nothing more. If your not putting on a full Festival then say so, at the start. The problem is they know they have loyal fans who will go regardless, me being one of them, on the back of what is usually a good lineup, with more good additions in the few weeks leading up to the festival. As I said, it's a major break from tradition from them and its taking the good out of the weekend before it begins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

The way I see, it, the whole scaled-back Friday thing means I can go on a big cainer without feeling guilty about missing acts I wanted to see.

Every cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

new braids albums is leaked and also on pitchfork advance if people want to be brushing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

Just out of interest, what is the Little Big Tent!? :P Haven't heard much of the acts that have been mentioned to play in it, but guessing they are of an electro vibe?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pjf2013

For anyone asking about games been shown at EP, It's not going to happen.....theres obviously a few reasons for it not happening with the likes of the premiership or GAA. Paying for a licence to show it, where to put it on and just the fact its a music festival spring to mind. Also if they show football and not the premiership you'd have uproar

I can vaguely remember 2005 or 2006 they showed an Ireland qualifier in a fairly big tent, but the fact was the general public wanted to see this & a lot of people demanded it leading up to it so they gave in. Personally I think it's ridiculous to want to watch a match at a festival and miss out on other things thats happening everywhere, for the die-hards that need their fix they can make the 25 minute walk into the village & catch it in the pub.

I'm a massive Liverpool fan for my sins and it'll be the first Liverpool Vs United game ill miss in maybe 15 years because at 13.30 on sunday ill be trying to cure myself and get myself together in order to get the most out of the last day of the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pjf2013

Just out of interest, what is the Little Big Tent!? :P Haven't heard much of the acts that have been mentioned to play in it, but guessing they are of an electro vibe?

When Bodytonic left, the little big tent was put in instead. it's the dance tent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Packed out LBT during the Ritchie Hawtin show Friday night last year.

And the LBT in the background.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Packed out LBT during the Ritchie Hawtin
    If only Richie was playing this year, would lift the lineup so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

roll wrote: »
    yes, but the cold beer straight after your tent is up is the best beer of the weekend... at least bring one with you!:D

We usually make a few stops on the way back in, it lightens the load :D

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

If people are so concerned with watching the sporting events them you should watch it on your phone - problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

Lemsiper wrote: »
    If people are so concerned with watching the sporting events them you should watch it on your phone - problem solved.

With the volume in the network at EP It's hard enough to send a text, not to mind watching a match. Not a runner I'm afraid.

Stradbally it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Chewabacca wrote: »
    If only Richie was playing this year, would lift the lineup so much.

he played some set last year, him or a DJ of his calibre would be the icing on the cake for me.

rebelreded wrote: »
    With the volume in the network at EP It's hard enough to send a text, not to mind watching a match. Not a runner I'm afraid.

Stradbally it is!

I've watched a game on my phone whilst roaming, at Sziget in the company of 400,000~ people - volume of traffic is not an excuse considering our communications infrastructure is more advanced than the Hungarians.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I've watched a game on my phone whilst roaming, at Sziget in the company of 400,000~ people - volume of traffic is not an excuse considering our communications infrastructure is more advanced than the Hungarians.

while running the risk of going off topic but this is Ireland...we can barely do broadband outside the cities of this little isle :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

well from experience, mobile data is useless in every festival i have ever attended

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Toast

Sziget is in the heart of Budapest a capital city with half the population of Ireland. EP is in Stradbally a village with a population of a couple of thousand on a good day. Sziget's 400k figure is also just marketing hype as it is actually a cumulative figure of all days of the festival heavily rounded up. The actual day on day figure is closer to 50k which isn't a million miles away from EP (35k). I assure you there is a better infrastructure in Budapest than Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

he played some set last year, him or a DJ of his calibre would be the icing on the cake for me.

I know, that part of the lineups been completely neglected this year. I know the likes of Mano le tough and Tiga will be good, but someone like Booka Shade, Modeselektor, The Field etc would just make it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Trenchtown Irieland have just added a host of international acts including MC Mystro, MC Soom T and Dublin Afrobeat Ensemble to their already exciting bill of Raggae, Dub & Ska. Also over the weekend, a special family curated programme including DJ Will Softly's "Sundance Family Disco".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Dedicated festival weather site!

http://www.festiweather.com/forecast.asp?EventID=274&Event=Electric+Picnic+2013#.UgtlApK1E6k

I take it the double round symbol is for sunglasses and not bra's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Toast wrote: »
    Sziget is in the heart of Budapest a capital city with half the population of Ireland. EP is in Stradbally a village with a population of a couple of thousand on a good day. Sziget's 400k figure is also just marketing hype as it is actually a cumulative figure of all days of the festival heavily rounded up. The actual day on day figure is closer to 50k which isn't a million miles away from EP (35k). I assure you there is a better infrastructure in Budapest than Stradbally.

I've been at Sziget, you're wrong on the 50k figure, there's more there on the peak days. The Day -1, 0 and maybe some of the early week days perhaps, but once the Weds-Sun rolls around the crowds are crazy. Great festival

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Toast

I have been to it as well. The actual day capacity is 70k which is when it is sold out which I don't think it has in recent years. 50k is an average across the lot including -1, 0 etc. however the point to take away is that it doesn't have 400k a day.

Toast wrote: »

For your information there are three mobile communications structures within 5km of the EP site, two of which are capable of producing 3G coverage.

Daily attendance is far greater than the 50k you claim, with 70k recorded on a single day a number of years ago - which would only have increased in recent times considering the growth of the festival.

Budapest has roughly a third of the population of Ireland, but I do not see why you would raise such a point as it has no relevance to the standard of a nations communications infrastructure.

Anyway, if you wish to continue this debate send me PM, as I'm sure other posters are not particularly concerned with your penchant for allowing your opinions get in the way of facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭keithb93

If anyone's selling their ticket at the early bird price, please let me know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

For your information there are three mobile communications structures within 5km of the EP site, two of which are capable of producing 3G coverage.

Daily attendance is far greater than the 50k you claim, with 70k recorded on a single day a number of years ago - which would only have increased in recent times considering the growth of the festival.

Budapest has roughly a third of the population of Ireland, but I do not see why you would raise such a point as it has no relevance to the standard of a nations communications infrastructure.

Anyway, if you wish to continue this debate send me PM, as I'm sure other posters are not particularly concerned with your penchant for allowing your opinions get in the way of facts.

the festival has been shrinking since its peak a number of years ago ( off the top of the head i'd say 4/5 years ago...) 70k at ep in a single day is really not anything in the realms of possibility, probably 35k max i'd say this year, well and truely max

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Mr.S wrote: »
    Tesco often do 15 bottles of Stella (the 300ml ones) for €9.99 which is decent if you don't like cans!

There's some beer in Aldi with a P and ends in Ki thats less then a euro a can and isn't toooo bad.

Is that the Perlenbacher your on about?

Its not the may west cold so wouldnt go near it warm!!!

I might be adventurous and get a tray of cider & beer. Maybe some Druids & Coors/Tuborg, they arent bad warm

the festival has been shrinking since its peak a number of years ago ( off the top of the head i'd say 4/5 years ago...) 70k at ep in a single day is really not anything in the realms of possibility, probably 35k max i'd say this year, well and truely max

Now I'm not a mathematician by any means, but last years attendance was recorded at being 350k, while this year it was 362k. Would you not agree this is an increase?

Anyway, people are missing my original point which was regarding mobile communications in the area.

Now I'm not a mathematician by any means, but last years attendance was recorded at being 350k, while this year it was 362k. Would you not agree this is an increase?

Anyway, people are missing my original point which was regarding mobile communications in the area.

Ok maybe we are talking about two different festivals, this EP we are on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭paulbok

pjf2013 wrote: »
    For anyone asking about games been shown at EP, It's not going to happen.....theres obviously a few reasons for it not happening with the likes of the premiership or GAA. Paying for a licence to show it, where to put it on and just the fact its a music festival spring to mind. Also if they show football and not the premiership you'd have uproar

I can vaguely remember 2005 or 2006 they showed an Ireland qualifier in a fairly big tent, but the fact was the general public wanted to see this & a lot of people demanded it leading up to it so they gave in. Personally I think it's ridiculous to want to watch a match at a festival and miss out on other things thats happening everywhere, for the die-hards that need their fix they can make the 25 minute walk into the village & catch it in the pub.

I think it was on in the cinema tent that was located in the campervan site.

Advertisement