Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Would disagree. They are ackward and uncomfortable. Proper Mats and are just as effective. Not foam ones that is.

No way, had an air mattress for the first time at Oxegen and when you get on it properly to go asleep it's just the business!
    Granted, you're not going to be able to sit on the edge of it comfortably but apart from that they're brilliant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭Endurance_man

I'd have to disagree.

On the insistence of the Missus, splashed out on two self-inflating air mattresses from Great Outdoors prior to last year's EP.

Totally worth it - no more moaning about bumpy ground, complete lack of sleep etc. Which hopefully equals several more years of happy festival going :)

I am guessing you never used proper mats that you inflate? Each to their own but I am sure they cost you a pretty penny. I hope they stay inflated and down puncture like most.

Is everyone using big inflated beds?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭NotInventedHere

yes, you can check in to the camping, throw your stuff into your abode and walk back out of the site, meet you friend, wait for him to get his wristband then ye can both go back into the boutique camping area where he will get his band for future access to the boutique camping.

I am staying at Pink Moon and I did that exact thing last year to meet friends who arrived later.

What sort of site access do you get with Pink moon camping? Is it the same as boutique?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Hi Res Map:A5d1pyN.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

This site seems to be updating the line up times as news filters through. Has main stage, body and soul, earthship and casa bacardi so far

http://www.goldenplec.com/festivals/electric-picnic-2/electric-picnic-2013/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Used a crappy airbed for a few years and bumped up to a double airbed last year for €17 ...Best thing ever! You can actually get some decent kip... throw in some ear plugs and ear muffs and you're set for some actual sleep!

I usually bring a sleeping bag and a snuggie since they're light and compact + a pillow case instead of a pillow so you can throw a hoody/clothes into for an easy simple pillow... That will get you some z's with not too much hassle

tumblr_mohrxl50QM1sptecgo1_500.jpg

+1 for airbeds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Mr.S wrote: »
    Are they gross and communal or do you get a lil' private stall?

They are separated by gender (as you'd expect) but they are very much "open plan". There is a little sticky-outey thing beside stalls, but it's more of a blocker so you don't accidentally touch someone looking for your towel, than a privacy wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Mr.S wrote: »
    Are they gross and communal or do you get a lil' private stall?

you get a private one and little washer monkeys that come in and scrub the previous days grime away, and then they dry you off with silk towels.

ah no as far as i remember they are grand. basic but cleanish and warm water and free shower gels and stuff. At the end of he day you are camping at a festival in a field. Anybody that has issues with the showers they provide needs to have a long hard look at themselves. I showered every day and it made me feel A1 again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

What sort of site access do you get with Pink moon camping? Is it the same as boutique?

not sure what you get with boutique camping but Pink Moon gives you the normal access plus access to a private campsite, the tents are normal tents, just that they are pitched for you in advance.

Plenty of clean portaloos and showers, that's it really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I am guessing you never used proper mats that you inflate? Each to their own but I am sure they cost you a pretty penny. I hope they stay inflated and down puncture like most.

Is everyone using big inflated beds?

We used self-inflating mats for Glastonbury this year and they're far better than foam mats or regular inflatable mattresses. They don't deflate (unlike the regular inflatables), are more comfortable than foam mats, lighter than regular inflatables, and I'm betting they're warmer than foam mats too. The only quibble I'd have is that they're not actually self inflating at all - you need to blow them up until they're rigid - which doesn't take much effort at all, otherwise they're too soft. Got ours cheap on adverts and sports-direct.

Highly recommended.

edit: They're a bit of a pain to deflate and roll when you're done too - but that's just being very picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 coconutpie

ah maybe they are letting folk in to campervan camping but not into the site, keep traffic flowing on the fri

but that was the question. read before answering or don't answer if you don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

A shower is a shower at the end of the day, nice cold shower every morning to wake you up does the job

Obviously your going to be in a shower full of pubes but who cares, its a festival!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭roll

on air beds-if ur on ur own bring a single instead of a double airbed. one person on a double airbed does not work as my buddy din found out to his cost!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Don't we usually get sexy photos of the build on-site by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

nocoverart wrote: »
    Don't we usually get sexy photos of the build on-site by now?

1004913_220906694734740_2026532252_n.jpg

7845_220906728068070_1775409049_n.jpg

1185277_220906691401407_1228498771_n.jpg

1236532_220906701401406_657701704_n.jpg

big pic of the last one:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/859549_220906701401406_657701704_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Article by Jim Carroll on EP selling out

Point 9 is an interesting one... hopefully he's right and there are lots of EP virgins heading for Stradbally and this year, rather than marking the death of the Picnic as we feared earlier, instead marks something of a rebirth???

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

hopefully he's right and there are lots of EP virgins heading for Stradbally and this year

This guy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Article by Jim Carroll on EP selling out

Point 9 is an interesting one... hopefully he's right and there are lots of EP virgins heading for Stradbally and this year, rather than marking the death of the Picnic as we feared earlier, instead marks something of a rebirth???

heard on the radio earlier that they've gotten te go ahead for another ten years! really hope so :D

on a side note, I just won dinner for two at Saba at EP, they're running comps over the next few days, worth entering, their food is amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

heard on the radio earlier that they've gotten te go ahead for another ten years! really hope so :D

on a side note, I just won dinner for two at Saba at EP, they're running comps over the next few days, worth entering, their food is amazing :)

on their twitter page I meant to add!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

dotsy_ wrote: »
    Sport is that popular...

A sense of entitlement may be people thinking that 'they know plenty of people that deserve to go coz they love the arts more than sports... man, rad'

It's a music and arts festival...I love the GAA tho, not enough to trek to stradbally mostly because I have to reason to this year :( . Also I'm say they won't show soccer because it is hard to get license for to show sky sports and they have enough to be doing sorting with music and the ARTS man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

It's a music and arts festival...I love the GAA tho, not enough to trek to stradbally mostly because I have to reason to this year :( . Also I'm say they won't show soccer because it is hard to get license for to show sky sports and they have enough to be doing sorting with music and the ARTS man.

I think this has been discussed to death at this stage. There's no sport onsite so whether for or against, It's done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Benzor3000

Asked this a while back but there mustn't have been any campervan peeps on the forum at the time. Are Ticketmaster issuing campervan tickets this year or is the big sticker to put in the window of the campervan that I received in the post the other week (which is usally issued on-site) this year's campervan ticket? There was no accompanying info - just the sticker in a white envelope. Any help much appreciated - would save me a few hours sourcing Ticketmaster's customer service number tomorrow. If such a number even exists. :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Anyone following the thread here for a while will have noticed the fair chunk of newbies so I reckon he's right. I also predict a bit of complaining about "the kids ruining EP" from the old timers crew on Monday.

You might be too old for EP if...
    ...you think the 48 can limit is reasonable.
    ...you're wondering where the quiet campsite is.
    ..."Le Galaxie at 3am? but I'll be asleep".

yeah these are all me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Toast wrote: »
    Anyone following the thread here for a while will have noticed the fair chunk of newbies so I reckon he's right. I also predict a bit of complaining about "the kids ruining EP" from the old timers crew on Monday.

You might be too old for EP if...
    ...you think the 48 can limit is reasonable.
    ...you're wondering where the quiet campsite is.
    ..."Le Galaxie at 3am? but I'll be asleep".

yeah these are all me.

Always have an amazing time at the EP! To be honest it's got allot to do with the people, their soundness, kindness & courtesy!! (Apart from the odd dick!)
    My fear is with mostly EP virgins it will be a case of same venue different crowd = different festival!

In summary more virgins! Less EP virgins :) !

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Peterd66

Benzor3000 wrote: »
    Asked this a while back but there mustn't have been any campervan peeps on the forum at the time. Are Ticketmaster issuing campervan tickets this year or is the big sticker to put in the window of the campervan that I received in the post the other week (which is usally issued on-site) this year's campervan ticket? There was no accompanying info - just the sticker in a white envelope. Any help much appreciated - would save me a few hours sourcing Ticketmaster's customer service number tomorrow. If such a number even exists. :o)

Just big sticker, will save time at entry. Not sure any reason to think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Fugs!!

Benzor3000 wrote: »
    I think that is the ticket. You've but a little doubt in my mind now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

As glad as I am that the festival's been successful and is likely to continue, I don't think a bunch of post-Leaving Cert students would make the best crowd at Piccy.

Not that there's anything wrong with 18-year-olds as a whole. Some of the best neighbours I've had were a bunch of posh Southsiders at their first ever festival. Nor am I am I being an old curmudgeon; far from it - I swear under the star and skies that the partying that I'll commence on August 30th would have the kids ringing their parents by 7pm on Friday asking to be taken home and tucked in bed. But I'm just thinking of myself, my friends, and most people I know when we were 18 and I have to say we are eminently more enjoyable people to camp beside now than when we were teenagers.

It can take a fair few outings before you really get to know the score at festivals, and I can't help but think it might be better for some young people to whet their milk teeth on a few Oxegens before descending on Stradbally on the first massive session of their lives. Most teenagers are sound, but some can be a bit head wrecking. This is why some clubs have over 20-something policies.

Having said that, there first time I went to EP, back in 2009 I copped on to the whole vibe pretty fast. "Have your buzz and be cool," as opposed to the "Have your buzz and **** everyone else" ambiance that permeated the Oxegens I'd been to previously. Granted, I was 21 and well on my way to being a more chilled-out person at that stage, but there's a good chance most of the.new crowd will catch onto it too

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pjf2013

I'd love to know where Jim is getting this whole idea that a new bunch of young people is going to be the rebirth of the festival. 85% of the tickets sold were loyalty tickets confirmed tonight on the news, which hopefully means it'll be full of the usual picnic goers and addicts of the picnic like myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

pjf2013 wrote: »
    I'd love to know where Jim is getting this whole idea that a new bunch of young people is going to be the rebirth of the festival. 85% of the tickets sold were loyalty tickets confirmed tonight on the news, which hopefully means it'll be full of the usual picnic goers and addicts of the picnic like myself
    Well it's hardly like you actually had to have gone to 3+ EPs to avail of the offer. If you knew someone whose sister's friend's fiance's dog had a grainy photo of three vaguely wristband-shaped objects on their phone you could snap up the €150's. Anyone who decided early enough that they wanted to go has these tickets, whether they'd been to 9 Picnics or 0. Though I'd take the article with a pinch of salt alright.

Advertisement