Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

bigbudda wrote: »
    Hello guys

Anyone headin down tomorrow?! Im going on my own and as far as I can see the buses only run til 1pm from dublin...ticketmaster wont let me buy the bus eireann ticket either :(

Any helpful tips please!

Bigbudda you can't buy them online as they have to be posted to you. AFAIK you can buy them at the bus stop on Custom House Quay.
    I am heading down tomorrow, probably on the 11am bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

cee_jay wrote: »
    Bigbudda you can't buy them online as they have to be posted to you. AFAIK you can buy them at the bus stop on Custom House Quay.
    I am heading down tomorrow, probably on the 11am bus.
    what cee jay posted /\ if your in the city centre ..also another option if your near the red line luas is go to the red cow and jump on this to portlaoise.. http://dublincoach.ie/timetables/N7_bus_dublin_airport_to_portlaoise.php ..that will get ya within quick shuttle bus/taxi to stradbally..red cow to portlaoise is €5..also make sure to tell the driver your going to the picnic and they will drop you at the nearest point and prob have someone waiting to take ya the rest of the way..thats how helpful and friendly they are;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭xxerogravity

My Blood Valentine woeful yesterday - just a mess of indiscernible distortion. It was a waste coming down on Friday given the lack up of a proper line up that night compared to other years and now it makes sense how EP managed to offer such cheap tickets.

A bunch of 6 or 7 tree hugging dirty crusties pulled out a huge "Ban Fracking" flag during Bjork today obscuring the view of scores of people standing behind them. The whole crowd started jeering them, while other people angrily ran at them and pulled their flag down. They put it back up again. Finally security confiscated the flag and kicked out one of the ringleaders - rumor has it he was brought to the hot tubs and forced to take a dip.

Robert Plant and his band were by far the best I've seen so far this weekend. Heres hoping tomorrow will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Another 'cardiac incident' (not fatal) today seemingly - they're warning about the bad blue ghosts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

alastair wrote: »
    ... and Wu Tang wasn't great sounding either....(

Hey man, Wu Tang Clan ain't nuttin to fuck with :D:P

• Advertisement

More potted reviews:

Bjork - great gig. Full of energy, but the tesla coil ends up looking a bit like the Stonehenge model in spinal tap - it's just overwhelmed by all the other lighting effects and video.

Two Door Cinema Club. Attended this by default. My better half was curious. Now there's a bland band. Genuinely surprised how mainstream and instantly irritating they were. Nice African style guitar workings - the rest was just so much polished banality. And what's with that accent?

I saw a young girl unconscious at 2am and security had put one of those foil thermal blankets on her while waiting for medics. Her skin was completely pale. Hope she was okay.

Agree about Two Door Cinema Club - completely forgettable and formulaic . I'm amazed how bands like these develop such a large fan base.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

barry194 wrote: »
    What type of tunes did Fatboy play :)

Eat, Sleep, Rave, Repeat - 30 mins
    Some bleh boom, boom, - 30 mins
    A remix medley - of the good stuff for 20 mins
    *this order may not be correct, but that's what it felt like*

When it was good it was fantastic. They were just too many meh moments for me. TBH - I probably didn't understand a lot of the stuff he was doing. I was talking to someone yesterday: and they said 'they really liked his remixed dubstep'. :confused: That sentence means nothing to me:eek:
    alastair wrote: »
    Two Door Cinema Club. Attended this by default. My better half was curious. Now there's a bland band. Genuinely surprised how mainstream and instantly irritating they were. Nice African style guitar workings - the rest was just so much polished banality. And what's with that accent?

They are good at what they do. But by lord, I agree with you - they are bland, generic, & derivative. They just remind me so much of other bands/sounds.
    They really reminded me of late 80s bands like Smiths, Cure?? - maybe not those ones in particular, I can't put my finger quite on who they remind me so much of.

Bjork was fantastic, but she is utterly insane. I didn't recognise one note of any song she played, but sat back and enjoyed the show.

Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifter were fcuking amazing. That African feel with blues works so well. And his voice lost nothing. At times I stood and watched the stage with my mouth hanging open, because of the skills of the band. Glorious stuff.
    I much prefer this meld, rather than the African meld that Plant & Page did in the 90s.

We watched two songs of Little Green Cars - before going to Plant. They are good. I can understand the hype around that band.

Ocean Colour Scene yesterday afternoon at 2.30 had the crowd hopping. They put on a great show. Definite highlight of the weekend.

And the other highlight of the weekend was Mr Motivator in the Electric Ireland tent - that ranks at one of the surrealist sights I have ever seen. Great stuff.

Overheard comment of the day from yesterday was on the stands whilst watching Bjork. Guy comes up steps with friend, sits down and looks at stage: 'Jesus, Ellie Goulding is fcuking awful, I'm out of here'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Annoying people on fb.

"The things I'd do for an EP ticket". Eh how about buy one in advance. These people who say they'd love to go, don't want it that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Hash tags related to EP on twitter are completely swamped with spam bots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭fits

I noticed that. Gave up on twitter with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Annoying people on fb.

"The things I'd do for an EP ticket". Eh how about buy one in advance. These people who say they'd love to go, don't want it that much.

They obviously didn't realise it would sell out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

There were ads on the radio for it only up to a few weeks ago, so must have slowly slowly sold out in the meantime...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Jim Carroll was toe dipping about a sell out just after Oxegen. There couldn't have been much left at that point. I'd say most were sold in the first month with the discount tickets.

Even if they only had 100 tickets left that's €23000 to be made and having it sell out is a major deal for them with a knock on effect for years so radio ads till the end would have been a no brainer. They part own Phantom anyway so they probably get a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

Toast wrote: »
    Jim Carroll was toe dipping about a sell out just after Oxegen. There couldn't have been much left at that point. I'd say most were sold in the first month with the discount tickets.

Even if they only had 100 tickets left that's €23000 to be made and having it sell out is a major deal for them with a knock on effect for years so radio ads till the end would have been a no brainer. They part own Phantom anyway so they probably get a discount.

i heard on the radio - cannot remember the station, that 82% were repeat purchases - so that would imply that 82% of sales were for the early bird/cheaper tickets…

wud they still make a profit? granted they did not have any bank breaking bands this year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

does anyone else think its ridiculous that artic monkeys can still headline major music events?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Bogota wrote: »
    does anyone else think its ridiculous that artic monkeys can still headline major music events?

Never seen them live, but their Glasto set didn't make feel I've missed out..

Vastly over rated imo, second only to The Strypes.

(yes, they're only kids and they're clearly good musicians who have absorbed their dads' record collections, but they're also riding a wave of hype and music biz shenanigans)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭redtapestyl

Completely agree, even at Oxegen 2006 less than a year after the release of their breakthrough debut album they weren't headlining. And nothing they have done since has matched that album.

Yep, they should be on around 5pm or 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

No they are one of the best bands in the world and their new album is probably the best album of 2013 so far. I find it ridiculous that you could even be serious enough to write that line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Completely agree, even at Oxegen 2006 less than a year after the release of their breakthrough debut album they weren't headlining. And nothing they have done since has matched that album.

FWN is the best follow up album from any of those bands that came around during the early 2000's and mid 00's.

Humbug is one of the bravest moves from a band since Radiohead's kid A

SIAS is a great album too

AM is one of the best album's of 2013.

David Byrne & St Vincent gig was excellent! A highlight of the weekend.

Also the warm up guy for The Knife - although following a bearded Swedish Mr Motivator with ten minutes of ambient sounds and smoke is a bit weird.

Great weekend overall - Jerry Fish putting on a good end of festival show now - David McWilliams certainly getting down in the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rm234

last year i took both blue ghosts and apples, the latter being recently the cause of deaths for those guys in NI. When i bought the blue ghosts the guy said "be careful, they are "hard on the stomach"." I had no idea what he meant until it finally hit me, and I sprinted to the toilet. There can literally be anything in those f##king pills, so to hear someone die has both saddened me but not surprised me. It's no doubt one of the greatest festivals I've been to, but there are a lot of c##ts out there who know you or your peers want to take it to the next level, and will sell you something that is so far from the 'real thing' just so they can make a quick buck. Scum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

rm234 wrote: »
    last year i took both blue ghosts and apples, the latter being recently the cause of deaths for those guys in NI. When i bought the blue ghosts the guy said "be careful, they are "hard on the stomach"." I had no idea what he meant until it finally hit me, and I sprinted to the toilet. There can literally be anything in those f##king pills, so to hear someone die has both saddened me but not surprised me. It's no doubt one of the greatest festivals I've been to, but there are a lot of c##ts out there who know you or your peers want to take it to the next level, and will sell you something that is so far from the 'real thing' just so they can make a quick buck. Scum.

There's a lesson there - don't do drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Ah......don't take drugs then? Just a thought....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Great weekend.

Jaw hurts.

That lad who died from the blue ghosts was a fool. He had a preexisting heart condition. Should never have been near pills of any sort.

Disclosure and Hudson Mowhawke were unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Korvanica wrote: »
    Great weekend.

Jaw hurts.

That lad who died from the blue ghosts was a fool. He had a preexisting heart condition. Should never have been near pills of any sort.

bit of respect for the dead, everyone thinks pills are 100% safe until something goes wrong and it's terrifying. he was just trying to have a good weekend like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Cracking set from the Arctic Monkeys, R u mine is fast becoming my favourite Monkeys song

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I saw plenty of really good acts over the weekend, but David Byrne and St. Vincent just took it to another level. The energy! The enthusiasm! The dancing! That brass section! But most importantly - the songs. I wouldn't be very familiar with most of Byrne's stuff outside of Talking Heads, and only vaguely familiar with Annie's work, but there wasn't a dud in the set. Even those that weren't as strong as others usually had something to completely justify their inclusion (like the theremin bit - amazing). This Must Be The Place is the perfect song, no question, and it was the highlight of the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Korvanica wrote: »
    Great weekend.

Jaw hurts.

Err ... has it been confirmed that he took pills then? Can you link me to that? In either case have a bit of compassion and stop trying to do this whole "a fool died" spin on it. You're not Bill Hicks and it doesn't make you sound real or clever.

As for the Monkeys I have to say I've never seen anything in them. They're just a really ... loud ... rock band to my ears. Not my buzz. Fair play if it's your thing though. Hope they had a lovely set.

Gutted I couldn't go this year. Broke my arm working up at Slane. Got to miss Eminem though :cool:.

Advertisement