Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

does anyone know where the rave in the woods is?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

blaa85 wrote: »

In the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

blaa85 wrote: »

Disturbing my kip in Oscar Wilde.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭fits

Any Chic/Arcade Fire moments?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

bit of respect for the dead, everyone thinks pills are 100% safe until something goes wrong and it's terrifying. he was just trying to have a good weekend like you.

Fair enough.little harsh there , apologies. If it was pills that killed him (as has been said its not confirmed, I'm just going on what I heard from the order of maltal) I just think it's mental he took anything consisting his heart condition etc.

Any trouble? None myself and only thing I saw/heard was my mates phone getting stolen. Also. This year the toilets were excellent. Cleaned constantly etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Korvanica wrote: »
    Great weekend.

Jaw hurts.

That lad who died from the blue ghosts was a fool. He had a preexisting heart condition. Should never have been near pills of any sort.

Disclosure and Hudson Mowhawke were unreal.

You sir are a wanker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Bjork was...amazing :D I'm delighted, got right up to the barrier for her. I hadn't heard Biophilia before but I watched that documentary with her and David Attenborough a few weeks ago so I was familiar with the new songs and with certain choices she made in her show/screen videos. She played a really good mix- every second song was new, the others were older. I really enjoyed the Tesla Coil, it sounded excellent.

The sound during Army of Me was a bit skewed, you couldn't really hear her. But nevertheless the woman puts on quite a show, and her crazy mosh pit of young blonde girls were brilliant- the energy on stage was just non-stop! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭RayCon

rm234 wrote: »
    there are a lot of c##ts out there who know you or your peers want to take it to the next level, and will sell you something that is so far from the 'real thing' just so they can make a quick buck. Scum.

Drug Dealers acting unscrupulous ... no, really ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PoliceWasps

I know I'll get crucified by many for this - but does anyone else think Bjork's set was the most ridiculous, self-indulgent, pretentious nonsense theyve ever seen? Look, I know she's out-there, eclectic etc, but this wasnt on. There was no discernable songs, lyrics, or melody. It wasnt even particularly funny.

The review in 'The Ticket' little mini paper the next morning called the set "challenging and terrifying", while also giving it 5 stars, presumably, 'coz its Bjork'. A headline act shouldnt challenge or terrify anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Ben Klock in woods was easily one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Korvanica wrote: »
    That lad who died from the blue ghosts was a fool.

And you are a dickhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

This is ridiculously long, so skip to the bottom. I love reading everyone's low down though!

I had a bloody brilliant weekend, even though the death of that poor young guy really hung over me on Sat...I had to be told to snap out of it. It's so very sad.

Friday really felt like the calm before the storm. I just wasn't feeling the buzz yet, but quite enjoyed Miles Kane, and Meltybrains? put on a great show on the Block T stage. Just wandered from there...had a bop anywhere I could.

On Saturday, I wasted an hour of my life watching OCS go through the motions. Only bad decision of my weekend. BTW, if you can get your hands on the review from the The Ticket that they handed out, it's the harshest review of a gig I have ever read. Funny stuff!

Duckworth Lewis Method were outstanding. Brilliantly constructed pop, great banter, and wonderful musicianship. Later, I chose Robert Plant out of the many things I wanted to see at that time. Wasn't disappointed. Fabulous band.

Bjork left me speechless. She was insanely good, and the whole spectacle gave real meaning to the word 'artist', which is what she truly is. I loved her 2 attempts at 'Go raibh maith agut'.

Sunday is when I really hit my festival stride. Chilled in Mindfield for the morning, got fed and watered and festival fit for The Strypes, Johnny Marr, Eels, David Byrne and Arctic Monkeys.

All of them were brilliant in their own way, but as a Smiths fan, I was on a complete high after Johnny Marr. He has such great stage presence and a lovely, relaxed aura about him. The soundscapes he creates are amazing, and to hear How Soon is Now played by him was my highlight of the festival.

I know it has been a point of debate, but in my opinion Arctic Monkeys were a very worthy headline act. They are so rock-n-roll, so now, so sexy -he's 27 now, so it's ok for me to perve a little bit :-) - and when Do I Want to Know kicked off, it was electrifying. Also, as I had my 10 year old son with me, I was keenly aware of the vibe and can tell you it was a much nicer vibe than for The Killers last year, which we left after 3ish songs.

TLDR:

Highlights: Bjork, Johnny Marr,

Lowlight: OCS and the fact that Friday felt like EP on pause.

Best Random Moment: Huge communal drum over near Global Green. Great craic. Huge crowd gathering to watch husband and son play Jenga.

Favourite dance spot: Radio Shack in B&S

Favourite food: Burger place in Trailer Park, pulled pork burger for €5. Amazing!

Favourite Quote: from my 36 year old brother, an Oxegen old timer, but EP virgin. Saturday morning 11am: "I love Jimi Hendrix. Why would anyone camp anywhere else?". Monday morning, 7am: 'This place is mental. I am never, ever camping here again'.

Hope you all had a good weekend. When's the 2014 thread opening? :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭xxerogravity

I know I'll get crucified by many for this - but does anyone else think Bjork's set was the most ridiculous, self-indulgent, pretentious nonsense theyve ever seen? Look, I know she's out-there, eclectic etc, but this wasnt on. There was no discernable songs, lyrics, or melody. It wasnt even particularly funny.

The review in 'The Ticket' little mini paper the next morning called the set "challenging and terrifying", while also giving it 5 stars, presumably, 'coz its Bjork'. A headline act shouldnt challenge or terrify anyone.

On the contrary, that was the problem with most of the headline acts. Complete banality, lacking in originality. I'd rather take a risk with a band that pushes the boundaries than listen to some tried and tested indie formula all weekend. Two Door Cinema Club anyone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Apart from Bjork and MBV, didn't really go near the Main Stage, maybe just to catch a song or two out of curiosity. For the best, really: the rest of the stages were much better for soaking in the music.

Did anyone see Savages on Saturday? If there was a more amazing bass player at the festival, I probably just missed them.

On the contrary, that was the problem with most of the headline acts. Complete banality, lacking in originality. I'd rather take a risk with a band that pushes the boundaries than listen to some tried and tested indie formula all weekend. Two Door Cinema Club anyone?

I didn't hang around for them, but I felt sorry for them having to come on after Bjork. They must have seemed even more pedestrian after her performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

The review in 'The Ticket' little mini paper the next morning called the set "challenging and terrifying", while also giving it 5 stars, presumably, 'coz its Bjork'. A headline act shouldn't challenge or terrify anyone.

Many many people think she's quite self-indulgent and she's definitely not everyones cup of tea, but I wholeheartedly disagree and I've given up trying to persuade people. It's sort of a Marmite situation, you either love her or hate her.

However, there was definitely discernable songs, not quite sure what you mean by that, as there definitely was...and a decent mix of her more popular more recognisable songs was played, like 'Hunter' 'Joga' 'Army of me' (although the singing in Army of Me wasn't very audible)

Can I just ask, have you ever listened to Bjork before or is this the first time you've ever heard her? It took me a little bit of immersion and research initially into what she's about in order to be able to appreciate her music, I can see how someone who isn't at all familiar might find her a bit jarring.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

bit of respect for the dead, everyone thinks pills are 100% safe until something goes wrong and it's terrifying. he was just trying to have a good weekend like you.

This. And only this. No more opinions on what you think of his lifestyle choices. This is about the music from here on. The two posts below got a week ban. This is dealt with now hopefully. I hate banning people from this forum as mostly it's grand but no abuse please.
    You sir are a wanker
    ThirdMan wrote: »
    And you are a dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

ca
    sadie06 wrote: »

On Saturday, I wasted an hour of my life watching OCS go through the motions. Only bad decision of my weekend. BTW, if you can get your hands on the review from the The Ticket that they handed out, it's the harshest review of a gig I have ever read. Funny stuff!

It was also the worst review I ever read for a band. As bad as they may or may not have been to say that they've never had one good song in 25 years together is rubbish. Pretty sure it was Jim Carroll who wrote it, which doesn't surprise me.

ca

It was also the worst review I ever read for a band. As bad as they may or may not have been to say that they've never had one good song in 25 years together is rubbish. Pretty sure it was Jim Carroll who wrote it, which doesn't surprise me.

He clearly doesn't like them. It's almost like he has a grudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Did anyone catch the special guest in B&S last night? Who was it?

• Advertisement

Did anyone catch the special guest in B&S last night? Who was it?

Yeah...it was Daft Punk featuring David Bowie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Why not? If I were at a gig or a festival, that's exactly what I'd be looking for and the more of it I saw at a festival, the better. I don't go to see a band standing around hoping they'll play that song I heard once of the telly, or the one my friend has on in the car all the time.

Did you go to see Bjork just to say you saw Bjork or did you go hoping to hear her greatest hits or did you go to see what Bjork was all about? If you think she was pretentious and self indulgent, then that's fine, you're not obliged to like her! :)

Festivals are great places for discovering new music, but I'm sick of all this safe and predictable music which is out there at the moment, which despite the hipster reviews and "star" status, is just mediocre.

You can't fault Bjork for trying to push the envelope.

But that's just me.

Don't ever consider going to ATP! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

absolutly shattered great weekend highlights def David Byrne and St Vincent and the Eels

really enjoyed the Arctic monkeys last night super performance he really is a front man had my doubts but thought he was great loving the new songs as well looking forward to the album

Bunoscionn doing Trad Side Of The Moon in Body and soul was great on sunday afternoon

two door cinema club are getting a serious bad rap bit unfair i think i enjoyed them could be because my lad loves them and i just enjoyed watching him watch them

really enjoyed wu tang on friday for a bit of old school nostalgia Fatboy slim was decent as well for a bit of a dance if you don't take him too seriously

Robert Plant was a bit disappointing for me but others seemed to have loved him

Also caught bits of The Strypes, The 1975, Raglans Ocean Colour Scene, Ellie Goulding, Hudson Taylor, Little Green Cars, Miles Kane all enjoyable

Bjork and Franz Ferdinand hurt my ears they we in my opinion terrible i understand others will disagree

Reginald D Hunter was ace in the comedy tent on sat

gutted i missed Chvrches and Johnny Marr

roll on next year

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Bjork wasn't challenging at all!

It's pop she makes, even the stuff about platetectonics.

Bit concerned that my highlights again revolved around the older generations - David Byrne, Duckworth Lewis Method, Bjork, Terry Hooley's school disco.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Had a bit too much fun on Friday night and ate too much spicy food at the end of it. The result was a Saturday where it felt as if an over-enthusiastic sneeze or cough would have ended up with arse-spraying mayhem. Uncomfortable to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rm234

yep you are totally right, that said, Steve Jobs believed a lot of his creativity came from taking Acid. That is another story though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

ca

It was a pathetic review, they went down really well, everyone was singing "the day we caught the train" at the end. The fact he gave Bjork a good review says it all, she's just weird for the sake of being weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

Gutted I couldn't make it this year. It was torture listening to the radio and the non stop references to it.

Did anyone on here make it to Matthew E White on Saturday evening?

threein99 wrote: »
    It was a pathetic review, they went down really well, everyone was singing "the day we caught the train" at the end. The fact he gave Bjork a good review says it all, she's just weird for the sake of being weird.

Ya see, you ruined what you said about the OCS review by saying that about Bjork. OCS didn't deserve quite as harsh a review as they were given, but they were clearly just going through the motions!

To say Bjork is being weird just for the sake of it is laughable. She is 100% authentic and true to herself. Her voice is primal....as real as it gets. You just don't like her, and that's fine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

sadie06 wrote: »
    Ya see, you ruined what you said about the OCS review by saying that about Bjork. OCS didn't deserve quite as harsh a review as they were given, but they were clearly just going through the motions!

To say Bjork is being weird just for the sake of it is laughable. She is 100% authentic and true to herself. Her voice is primal....as real as it gets. You just don't like her, and that's fine!

Yeah you're right, each to their own that's just my opinion on Bjork though, obviously she appeals to others, Jim Carroll just winds me up.

Advertisement