Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PoliceWasps

Can I just ask, have you ever listened to Bjork before or is this the first time you've ever heard her? It took me a little bit of immersion and research initially into what she's about in order to be able to appreciate her music, I can see how someone who isn't at all familiar might find her a bit jarring.

Youre right, it was my first real experience of her - and jarring is definitely the perfect word! I just couldnt quite grasp what was going on, and was wondering was there anyone in the same boat at all!? Seems like I'm in the minority!

Did anyone catch the Walkmen on Saturday in the Electric Arena? One of the highlights for me. Powerful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

One highlight for me, and indicative of the slightly changed demographic at this year's festival, was an outraged comment by a young guy to his mates, about a musician (who I happened to know) on stage: "what's that about, he looks like he's sixty!"

He's not, but had to laugh at the indignant tone of the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭paulbok

alastair wrote: »
    One highlight for me, and indicative of the slightly changed demographic at this year's festival, was an outraged comment by a young guy to his mates, about a musician (who I happened to know) on stage: "what's that about, he looks like he's sixty!"

He's not, but had to laugh at the indignant tone of the lad.

I overheard a similiar comment on Friday evening walking towards the campsite. 3 young lads on seeing some dragon egg art/sculptures behind a fence in the woods;
    "Why the f**k is there this sort of S^1te around the place"?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

paulbok wrote: »
    I overheard a similiar comment on Friday evening walking towards the campsite. 3 young lads on seeing some dragon egg art/sculptures behind a fence in the woods;

Khalessi would not take too kindly to comments like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

paulbok wrote: »

this makes me sad :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

sadie06 wrote: »
    Ya see, you ruined what you said about the OCS review by saying that about Bjork. OCS didn't deserve quite as harsh a review as they were given, but they were clearly just going through the motions!

To say Bjork is being weird just for the sake of it is laughable. She is 100% authentic and true to herself. Her voice is primal....as real as it gets. You just don't like her, and that's fine!

There's a big difference between saying they phoned in their performance and saying they're the worst band he'd ever seen at EP in all his time there and they hadn't one hit in 25 years. He obviously has a grudge against them, so why bother go see them? Maybe spending his picnic watching bands he hates is what has ruffled his feathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Fugs!!

Robert plant is god.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

There's a big difference between saying they phoned in their performance and saying they're the worst band he'd ever seen at EP in all his time there and they hadn't one hit in 25 years. He obviously has a grudge against them, so why bother go see them? Maybe spending his picnic watching bands he hates is what has ruffled his feathers.

I wasn't at the EP and I've never seem OCS live , I've seen live shows on TV and they can be hit and miss esp in the daytime gigs I saw them playing. But writing 'Twenty five years. A quarter of a century. And still, not one decent song to show for it' was a bit out of line , I'm not a huge fan but Moseley shoals has some pretty decent tunes. Was the gig really that bad or is he just blowing off talk?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭scruffmonkey

I thought they were really very enjoyable for a "sitting on the grass with a pint in the sun and relaxing" sort of vibe, and I would not be a great fan of theirs.

I thought they were really very enjoyable for a "sitting on the grass with a pint in the sun and relaxing" sort of vibe, and I would not be a great fan of theirs.

That's probably their target market now too, and would explain why they were on so early. Probably a nostalgia trip for a lot of people. They definitely have a few good tunes though, jees.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭ponceprhea

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    So it wasn't just my imagination then for My Bloody Valentine - the sound was odd at times. Although it was still a great set.

Fatboy Slim - had equal moments of genius and some parts were very samey and so-so. Although I don't think I will ever forget the words: Eat, Sleep, Rave, Repeat :)

Am in bits now - came home to my own bed, although tent is still in campsite, the joys of living 25 mins away.

Am getting married tomorrow (or later today) at 12.00 in the inflatable church, wish me luck;):p

Thats the way MBV sounds, typical indie mix,barely hear the vocals, I thought it was mixed correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

JOHNNY FÚCKIN MARR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

JOHNNY FÚCKIN MARR

'You're a good lookin' bunch....and I didn't say that at Glastonbury'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

What is the point of music journalism? If they ceased to exist tomorrow, the world would function as normal.

Thought there was a very young crowd this year, talking about barely 18(almost oxegen level).This year will probably be my last, disappointed although seating area at main stage was a bonus.

Seems the organisers are moving the picnic to this age group as kids/family area was very very sparse this year.

Highlights, johnny marr, john grant, robert plant, walkmen,gospel choir

seachto7 wrote: »
    What is the point of music journalism? If they ceased to exist tomorrow, the world would function as normal.

Exactly, musical taste is subjective like tastes in food, some people love what others hate and vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

Is the OCS review available online? Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

threein99 wrote: »
    Exactly, musical taste is subjective like tastes I'm food, some people love what others hate and vice versa

My point being if Jim Carroll or any other music journalist stopped working tomorrow, it wouldn't matter, as we could still listen to albums and make up our own minds, not having to rely on one person's opinion, however right or wrong it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

spot on, I also thought they were enjoyable, I know some of their stuff but they were a good band to open the day's entertainment, sitting out on the grass sipping a cold Paulaner...happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

He said one decent song in 25 years, there's a difference. It's like, just his opinion, man. Same as yours about them being good. If we all agreed on what was good there'd be much less music going around.

He said one decent song in 25 years, there's a difference. It's like, just his opinion, man. Same as yours about them being good. If we all agreed on what was good there'd be much less music going around.

Ok firstly, he didn't say one decent song. He said this:

"At one stage, singer Simon Fowler raises his glass to the crowd to proudly salute the fact that his band will be together 25 years next year. Twenty five years. A quarter of a century. And still, not one decent song to show for it."

Secondly, I never said they were good. I just don't happen to think they could possibly be close to as bad as he has pointlessly described them. Also, it is just his opinion man, but it's quite obviously heavily biased. Barely a mention of their performance at EP which is what he was supposed to review, no? 0/10 for Jimbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Robert Plant was amazing! I was front and centre at the main stage for 6 hours yesterday from the start of kodaline to the end of Arctic Monkeys. Good craic but I'm in bits today.

I thought the Arctic Monkeys were great considering Alex Turner was clearly quite drunk haha.

I agree with his overall point of view on their performance, but the Times had a team of journalists there reviewing gigs. Why send one who hates the band to review their performance?

Mr.S wrote: »
    Could just be you getting older tbh!

I'm definitely guilty of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Can't believe it's all over

Hope everyone had an amazing wkend
    Will have to report back after I've had a shower, sleep and a new liver

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Just back home now even though I only live 10 miles down the road. That weekend just flew buy. Highs: Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys older stuff, Ryan Sheridan and David O' Doherty. Lows: Ocean Colour Scene and the newer arctic monkey stuff. Is it just me or was the electric tent not twice the size last year?

I went home on Sunday morning to shower and get dinner. I loosened the clasp in the wristband when I was at home, don't know why I even did it. The security guy wouldn't let me in for ages as he said the wristband was tampered with and asked me where I got it from. Had to get my sister to come out from the Arena to show him photos of me wearing the wristband inside the arena. I'd say they made my wait about half an hour before the gave me a different wrist band and let me in. That was my lesson learned and I won't be messing with the wrist band ever again.

Because they know people leaving sell wristbands to people outside to get in / friends passing them back to get people in for free! Walking in Stradbally from the festival I think I was asked about 15 times if I wanted to sell my wristband!

We were bringing our camping gear back out to the car in the Z car park yesterday evening , must have been asked about 20 times for our wrist bands, one girl even started abusing us because we said we were heading back in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

recyclebin wrote: »
    I went home on Sunday morning to shower and get dinner. I loosened the clasp in the wristband when I was at home, don't know why I even did it. The security guy wouldn't let me in for ages as he said the wristband was tampered with and asked me where I got it from. Had to get my sister to come out from the Arena to show him photos of me wearing the wristband inside the arena. I'd say they made my wait about half an hour before the gave me a different wrist band and let me in. That was my lesson learned and I won't be messing with the wrist band ever again.

Mine wasn't pinched correctly heading in on Friday, and gradually over the weekend through fiddling with it it got quite loose. SOOOO glad when I was bringing stuff back to my car on Sunday night I pulled a lovely security guard aside on the way out, showed him how loose my band was and told him I'd only be 20 minutes in the car park. He remembered me on the way back in and helped me get through 2 more checks before I was able to get the band pinched properly. Such a gent :D

• Advertisement

Could just be you getting older tbh!

Agree, I am older which is fairly normal as I was 1 year younger last year but crowd definatly sloppier,younger,skangers(tracksuits) than in the past.
    Shame really

Advertisement