Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Had a fantastic weekend, absolutely shattered now though!

Highlights for me were David Byrne and St Vincent, Eels, Bjork, Little Green Cars, Halves.

Saw a few great bands in cosby/body and soul, cant remember who they were, but saw some fantastic stuff.

Anyone else have their tents ransacked?

When we got back to our tents on saturday and sunday someone gone into our tents and emptied out our bags and threw our stuff everywhere. Must have been going tent to tent looking to rob phones and wallets.

I said to security and they said they caught a few people with a load of phones on them.

Not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Security searched the **** out of me every single time, including emptying my wallet entirely, poking through my tobacco and just generally having a good feel around. Every second person I saw in the main arena had their own drink and I saw a good few people being left off when bringing their own drink in when security found it..

Also the crazy amount of plain clothes gardai was just ridiculous. We can see your radio bulge. Stop asking me for 'pills', 'snort', or 'smoke'. One fella came up to me and some friends in trenchtown, after staring over at us for 15 minutes with sunglasses on, he shakes all of our hands then sits down beside us while a woman watches all of us. We leave trenchtown a few minutes later, we see her follow us, we stop and all stare at her as she walks past awkwardly, and as shes walking away she looks back briefly to see we are still watching. Next morning I see the same sunglasses man with baldy plain clothes garda who I saw several times with his walkie talkie blatantly using it, and he was pointed out to me by a friend who was working as bar staff in one of the places.

I was very glad when the lad tripping balls on acid screaming this at 6am Saturday morning was thrown out.

Our neighbour who snook in got caught with 15 bags of ketamine and what he described as "a **** load of pills". He was allowed back in by the guards and by security even though he had no band, because he flashed his wrist with random bands on. He was very nice though and asked nicely if we had any "snort, because his nostril is thirsty and he's sad because hes going to have to go to jail now" Maybe he was a guard too. Maybe everyone else at picnic was a guard. Maybe I'm a guard.

I got a free burger, I found 20 euro on the floor and had to split it with a woman who saw me picking it up and stamped on it first, I found a phone and returned it and a pair of glasses, and I saw an absolutely smashed couple just short of making love in trenchtown have a pair of sunglasses stolen from them after the man fell over like a tree trunk onto his face.

And except for when the angry man pissed beside our tent everything else was very fun. Especially the comedy tent, one of my highlights of the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭tosspot15

Anybody know what the name of the band who played in the little big tent on Sunday at about 2:30pm was called? Female singer, only got to catch a little bit of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

Youre right, it was my first real experience of her - and jarring is definitely the perfect word! I just couldnt quite grasp what was going on, and was wondering was there anyone in the same boat at all!? Seems like I'm in the minority!

Did anyone catch the Walkmen on Saturday in the Electric Arena? One of the highlights for me. Powerful stuff.

the walkmen followed by john grant was the best couple of hours of the weekend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Bobby42 wrote: »
    Had a fantastic weekend, absolutely shattered now though!

Highlights for me were David Byrne and St Vincent, Eels, Bjork, Little Green Cars, Halves.

Saw a few great bands in cosby/body and soul, cant remember who they were, but saw some fantastic stuff.

Anyone else have their tents ransacked?

When we got back to our tents on saturday and sunday someone gone into our tents and emptied out our bags and threw our stuff everywhere. Must have been going tent to tent looking to rob phones and wallets.

I said to security and they said they caught a few people with a load of phones on them.

Not cool.

I think a couple of tents around us had stuff robbed on them, that was in Oscar Wilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

tosspot15 wrote: »
    Anybody know what the name of the band who played in the little big tent on Sunday at about 2:30pm was called? Female singer, only got to catch a little bit of them.

I think that might have been Maud in Cahoots. caught their last song. Sounded good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Irish_rat wrote: »
    King Kong Company are worth checking out on the Sunday, they were brilliant at Indiependence.

I stumbled across these in Body and Soul and it was mad craic altogether. We were raving away for the whole set, everyone having a great time. One of my highlights actually!

Reginald D. Hunter was gas in the comedy tent. Really enjoyed that.

Thought Two Door Cinema Club were awful. I ended up there for the end of that set to meet my friends for Disclosure, and what I heard was just...boring.

Disclosure were amazing. I wasn't that familiar with their stuff beforehand, but I thought they were really great. The 'Fire' song (don't know what it's actually called) that they played early on was a banger.

Caught a bit of Warpaint on the Sunday, and that was intense. Some crazy ass dancing going on in there!

Arctic Monkeys were a bit 'meh' for me. I'm not mad about their new material, so that wasn't really doing anything for me. Left early.

Was walking around the main arena while Bjork was on and it sounded horrendous from where I was, but then I'm not a huge fan of hers anyway.

Wu-Tang were my highlight, even though the sound was bit dodgy at times. Just amazing to actually see them and hear all those old songs live.

Panned out on the grass with a veggie burrito for the Dublin Gospel Choir on Sunday morning, which was nice and relaxing.

The rave in the wood was epic.

The camping experience overall was grand, we had no problems at all. Actually both myself and my friend both lost our phones at different times and miraculously some kind souls found them and returned them to us!

Some lovely food around. Had a delicious falafel on Saturday.

Overall, had an excellent experience as a first timer! Happy out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sdgbt

Brilliant weekend. No complaints at all, and was one of my best picnics ever. Wasn't sure what to expect because of all the stuff that happened before it, but thought it was as colourful and full of arty stuff as ever. The fireworks and cake were a nice touch, and saw lots of happy heads around the place. Thought the crowd were great, chilled out, no hassle in the campsites, don't know if I got lucky or what, but the whole weekend just went really well.

Completely shattered now though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

sadie06 wrote: »

Favourite food: Burger place in Trailer Park, pulled pork burger for €5. Amazing!

THIS! (The rib sandwich)

Went back to those fine gentlemen.

My weekend line-up with highlights indicated

Fri.
    Wu Tang Clan. Not favourites of mine back in the day, and every live rap cliche pulled out of a hat, sound was iffy, but enjoyable nonetheless. Serious towel action.
    MBV. The sound was very poor - even allowing for their usual mix. Should have been in a tent.
    DJ Kali - Trenchtown. Bit of a let-down tbh. Expected more from her.
    Dub Investigation - Trenchtown. Wouldn't have had much time for Dub, but this bunch were very enjoyable. Overall the Trenchtown side of things was pretty good - the new soundsystem was great, eh, sounding.
    Someone on the Salty Dog? Bit hazy at this stage.
    Went to sleep listening to Ben Klock. Did he finish with some cheesy tunes, or was this a dream?

Sat.
    The Beat. Sounded grand. Serious physical shape inferiority issues though. How great does Rankin Roger look?
    Daithi. Young fellah on the way up. Bit scary the confidence he has.
    Duckworth Lewis Method. Criminally small crowd for one of the best things of the weekend. Better suited to a tent - though the sun was nice. Wear it on your sleeve references to ELO, The Who, Steely Dan, and others, with smart, literate,and funny lyrics. Banter and Bee Gee's singing impressions.
    Peace. Grand. Overhyped.
    Bjork. Don't get the problems people have with her set. Lots of tunes, showmanship, spinal tap tesla coil, superhero flares. Highly entertaining.
    Two Door Cinema Club. Not my choice, but prepared to give them a fair shake of the stick. Bleeding awful. Polished turd territory. Not highly entertaining.
    Hudson Mohawke. Unfamiliar with much of his stuff, but partial to many things Warp. Great light show, crackin' soundscapes, but too heavy for me at that moment.
    Frank B - Forest Rave. Jammers quickly. Technically impressive, but seemed to linger too long in a constant medium tempo. Quite possibly much better on drugs, though not blue ghosts. Poor man who had to make the 'brown acid' safety announcement, to the abuse of everyone younger and hipper than he.
    Was The Egg at The Salty Dog on Friday? Anyway - not as good as I remembered them back in Body and Soul years back.

Sun.
    Terry Hooley DJ set. Like your Da attempting to use technical things (how can you run a record shop for decades and not know how to play a CD?). Endearingly shambolic, singing along to what was essentially a school disco set of a certain vintage. Feel-good tunes and delivery.
    The Strypes. Jammers. Alright.
    Johnny Marr. Best intro music of the weekend (theme from The Persuaders). Iffy sound from where I stood, but lots of energy, and alternating so-so solo material and golden nuggets from the back catalogue. Nice guitar playing.
    David Byrne & St. Vincent. Gig of the weekend for me. Tunes!, Musicianship!, 'Truly Scrumptious' body movements!, Braces!, a theremin! Surprising - and how re-invigorated is Byrne?
    The Knife. Brilliantly deranged warm-up man. Artsy production that followed was essentially a pretty impressive modern dance theatre piece (nothing wrong there), to music made with instruments that look like they should have been in the bar scene in Star Wars. Too much for me to handle, having been worn down over the three days. They could have rolled out the first great album, and I'd still have had trouble getting excited.
    Jerry Fish - End of the World Party. Never been big on Mr Fish, but he brought his A Game to this show. Committed crowd, eye-candy go-go dancer with illuminated hoopla hoop. Great DJ on afterwards.
    Bed.

The comparitively weak lineup and corner-cutting didn't impinge on a great weekend's entertainment. Well worth the discounted loyalty ticket price.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Why not? If I were at a gig or a festival, that's exactly what I'd be looking for and the more of it I saw at a festival, the better. I don't go to see a band standing around hoping they'll play that song I heard once of the telly, or the one my friend has on in the car all the time.

Did you go to see Bjork just to say you saw Bjork or did you go hoping to hear her greatest hits or did you go to see what Bjork was all about? If you think she was pretentious and self indulgent, then that's fine, you're not obliged to like her! :)

Festivals are great places for discovering new music, but I'm sick of all this safe and predictable music which is out there at the moment, which despite the hipster reviews and "star" status, is just mediocre.

You can't fault Bjork for trying to push the envelope.

But that's just me.

Don't ever consider going to ATP! ;)

Didn't see Bjork but I did catch the first few songs by The Knife last night. I thought they were pretty cool but my wife thought they were "fuking sh!te" (her exact words). But I think a lot of what you were saying about Bjork probably applies there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Cyril Hahn's Live set?

Anyone get to see Deap Vally ? I missed them, was really hoping to catch them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Back and all settled again./
    Lost my phone on the Friday night and someone found it on the Saturday and managed to get it back to me! Never been around such a nice crowd.

by far the best gig/festival/event I've ever been to. Will be back next year and the year after and after and after etc

random band of the festival were definitely Blind Yackety at the Salty Dog Stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PoliceWasps

threein99 wrote: »
    Anyone get to see Deap Vally ? I missed them, was really hoping to catch them

Yep I saw them. Class - definitely one of the most sexually-charged performances of the weekend. Cosby Tent went mad & Lindsey's trademark denim shorts were out in force.

Highlight of the weekend for me was probably Overhead, the albatross on the body and soul stage. And Casa Bacardi was so much fun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭paulbok

Looks like the organisers want another 5,000 attendees next year, Cripes!

I had thought it was already beginning to turn into Oxegen circa 2006, Only the Body & Soul arena seemed to hold the old Picnic Vibe.
    Jamming a bigger crowd won't improve anything except their bank balance. Room for additional camping alright, but can't see how the main arena would hold that much additional people. You could notice the extra day trippers yesterday.

Yep I saw them. Class - definitely one of the most sexually-charged performances of the weekend. Cosby Tent went mad & Lindsey's trademark denim shorts were out in force.

Cormac Battle interviewing them here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt5e5Ku7Q2g&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLx9UOuMfa1dv_kQbMDmxIEJWt8CBsgrbq

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

What is the point of music journalism? If they ceased to exist tomorrow, the world would function as normal.

so true in the internet age. you can just as easily listen to albums and songs yourself on Spotify than read the review. i once saw a Youtube track review that was 5 minutes long when the track itself was only 3 mins!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Great weekend, didnt see anyone crap (except Wu tang gang) so much good stuff going on. Highlights: The Beat (go figure, they were most excellent) The amazing few, Black Rebel Motorcycle club, Eels, and the comedy tent was great.
    There's a hell of a lot of walking to be done though isn't there - I actually wore through a fairly new pair of shoes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

paulbok wrote: »
    Looks like the organisers want another 5,000 attendees next year, Cripes!

I really hope they don't do that! I also think they lowered the amount of family tickets this year. The family campsite seemed quiet. I know some people may think this is a good thing, but changing the balance has an effect on the overall relaxed atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

First time going to EP but after this weekend it wont be my last . Had a great time but it just went too fast . Didnt have any trouble at all and great atmosphere .

Top Bands

1. Franz Ferdinand - Just unreal cant complain about their set (apart from going way to fast) and the new songs are sounding great

2. Robert Plant - To see such a legend up so close was brilliant , Few Zepplin songs thrown aswell (how could you go wrong)

3. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Great way to end my saturday night and was delighted to see the tent fairly jammed up against acts like Ryan Sheridan and 2 Door

4 . Miles Kane - Only caught the last 2 or 3 songs due to getting caught in a slow que getting into the arena , but a great way to start the festival for me :)

5. Ocean Colour Scene - Agreed that Jim Carroll's review was over the top played a great set and perfect band to relax too early in the day.

Other mentions Wu Tang (def had a great party atmosphere) , Hot Sprockets on the Salty Dog on sat night prob one of the top irish bands going , Styrpes another great set for them , had fun watching Eels from the seating area never listened to them but was great fun watching .

Mr Motivator was great on sunday

Arctic Monkeys were alright felt the set just dragged on and Alex Turner annoys the crap out of me with his stupid Elvis wanna be gimmick , Fat Boy Slim was good but for me i was expecting the usual greatist hits but still enjoyed him , Also Booka Shade Brass Band(Think that was their name) playing before Hot Sprockets on the Salty Dog were great. , Raglans were alright just another generic indie band imo also caught Herimtage Green who again were alright but just sounded pretty much like Mumford and Sons

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Brilliant weekend I have to say! David Byrne & St Vincent was undoubtedly the best show of the weekend. I'd wanted to see a bit of Franz Ferdinand so left to have a look at them for a while but despite quite liking them, I thought they were rubbish, so went back to David Byrne just in time to see the two of them robot-fighting over the theremin :D

Had a bit of trouble in the campsite on Friday night, woke up to hear the tent beside ours being ransacked then next thing ours was tried. Luckily we had a lock on while we were in it, but it left me a bit shaken. It was my first Picnic and first time camping at a festival so I was scared the rest of the weekend would be the same but thankfully nothing else happened.

Had a nice chilled experience overall, much of the lineup for me was sort of "Ah yeah, I'd see them" with only a few must-sees. I'd definitely return next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

sadie06 wrote: »
    I really hope they don't do that! I also think they lowered the amount of family tickets this year. The family campsite seemed quiet. I know some people may think this is a good thing, but changing the balance has an effect on the overall relaxed atmosphere.

I really hope that they don't, very hard to get through the crowd yesterday while holding hands with my daughter. if they up the capacity there's no way I'd bring her on a Sunday again. soul kids arena was definitely quieter than other years which was a shame really.

recovery time gets longer every year, body feels like it's been cut out of a car crash D:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭ponceprhea

I really hope that they don't, very hard to get through the crowd yesterday while holding hands with my daughter. if they up the capacity there's no way I'd bring her on a Sunday again. soul kids arena was definitely quieter than other years which was a shame really.

recovery time gets longer every year, body feels like it's been cut out of a car crash D:

Soul kids really disappointing, seems as if they are moving away from accommodating families and towards the young' uns (as in 16-21 yr olds.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

so true in the internet age. you can just as easily listen to albums and songs yourself on Spotify than read the review. i once saw a Youtube track review that was 5 minutes long when the track itself was only 3 mins!

Nothing against Jim Carroll, but from what I am reading here, according to him, OCS were rubbish. I'm not an OCS fan, but if I were at a festival, I'd check them out. I mean, if I reviewed a One Direction gig, obviously I would say they are sh*t. So a pop music teenager reads my review and thinks "hmmm, professional music journalist was at One Direction gig, and reckons it was sh*t". Was it really sh*t? Maybe ask a pop music fan and they'd say otherwise. With youtube now, nobody needs to read a review of a gig or an album. Listen yourself, and make up your own mind.

I wasn't at EP, but "according to Jim Carroll, OCS were crap at it".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Without a doubt the best weekend of my life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭ponceprhea

Nothing against Jim Carroll, but from what I am reading here, according to him, OCS were rubbish. I'm not an OCS fan, but if I were at a festival, I'd check them out. I mean, if I reviewed a One Direction gig, obviously I would say they are sh*t. So a pop music teenager reads my review and thinks "hmmm, professional music journalist was at One Direction gig, and reckons it was sh*t". Was it really sh*t? Maybe ask a pop music fan and they'd say otherwise. With youtube now, nobody needs to read a review of a gig or an album. Listen yourself, and make up your own mind.

I wasn't at EP, but "according to Jim Carroll, OCS were crap at it".

Jim carroll is a music snob, he talks ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

ponceprhea wrote: »
    Soul kids really disappointing, seems as if they are moving away from accommodating families and towards the young' uns (as in 16-21 yr olds.)

it was really gutting actually! well for me, my daughter enjoyed it but we had the whole thing done very quickly and she was asking "what's next". total bummer.

I really hope they don't alienate families, I find it keeps the general vibe of EP relaxed and mindful (during the daylight hours anyway!)

my favourite act has to be fatboy slim, didn't stop dancing from the minute he came on to the minute he stopped, really got me revved up for the night. (I had familiarised myself with his sets so I knew he wasn't going to play his classic hits as whole songs)

kodaline were really good, so glad I went to see them and the eels were great craic too.

disclosure were a bit meh for me except white noise and f for you, but I think that's a personal choice more than anything. they're not what I like for a festival but pottering about the house they're perfect!

Ben klock at the rave in the woods was actually good, usually they just have Constant droning shìte up there that would bring anyone down but he was enjoyable and pulled a much larger crowd than usual.

over all it was my least favourite picnic, maybe it was my mood I dunno, just wasn't feeling it as much this year, very up and down. Friday and Sunday being the best, Saturday was a total write off and I missed everything :/

until next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I really hope they don't alienate families!

I hope so too mate.

• Advertisement

Björk was AMAZING. This was my fourth picnic and her performance is right up there with Arcade Fire's performance 2 years ago as the EP set I've seen. Would love to see her perform a full length gig some time. The electronic backdrops were so cool, the Icelandic choir were beautiful and mental, her performance of 'Jóga' was perfect and the triple whammy of 'Pluto', 'Nattúra' and 'Declare Independence' was an absolutely superb way to bring the show to an end. Cannot rave about her enough. :D

Second best act I saw was probably Warpaint, though it was a shame they were on about twenty minutes late. Ellie Goulding surprised me; I find her a little hit and miss as a recording artist but she sounds wonderful live; she's also the first ever artist I've seen to kill a wasp on stage! (Or did I just imagine that?) Also enjoyed MBV (holocaust section needed a bit more holocaust though :p), Hurts, Disclosure and CHVRCHES. I caught the last ten minutes or so of Robert Plant and I saw the first half of Arctic Monkeys (Alex Turner has grown up nicely; he's a pure ride! :pac: ) but then ran to The Knife 'cause I didn't wanna miss Silent Shout! Was happy with them all; ideally would have liked to have seen Deap Valley, Young Wonder, The Walkmen, Savages and David Byrne but alas festival clashes must happen.

Also saw Dylan Moran at the Comedy tent and went to some stuff at the Mindfield, which I'd never really paid much attention to in previous years. And after hearing all the fuss about them I finally had my first Pieminster pie! All in all a great weekend. BRING ON EP 2014! :D

Advertisement