Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    i reckon itll b that jay-z\justin timberlake co-gig thats in london the same weekend as phoenix park gigs

I'm not too sure if Phantom are Jay-Z/JT pushers. I'd say it would be Oxegen (a festival Phantom usually has its Volkswagon bus yoke at), except that it would mean a lot of MCD announcements in a short space of time. Who knows really?

This whole thread is basically a giant conjecture pile. With that pretence in mind, I'll stick to my claim that it's definitely going to be a Stone Roses/Daft Punk @ EP announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Frank Ocean supporting the Killers, pity as I thought he'd be a decent shout for the picnic

And Haim too.. Guess they could always play both!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'm not too sure if Phantom are Jay-Z/JT pushers. I'd say it would be Oxegen (a festival Phantom usually has its Volkswagon bus yoke at), except that it would mean a lot of MCD announcements in a short space of time. Who knows really?

This whole thread is basically a giant conjecture pile. With that pretence in mind, I'll stick to my claim that it's definitely going to be a Stone Roses/Daft Punk @ EP announcement.

Meh I hear its an IMMA gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

lordgoat wrote: »
    Meh I hear its an IMMA gig.

Any idea who it is? Phantom have bumped one "Arcade Fire" up their playlist recently (even more so)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭antifyre

As the thread is now 'Conjecture-palooza' (TM) I'll hang my coat on this... Bowie will play a gig at the IMMA the same weekend Blur do (utter wishlist, utterly happy to be right...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

I'm going to bet Phantom do not have the world exclusive scoop on any band who are not announced to tour this year so you can put Bowie, Daft Punk, Arcade Fire, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin etc on the almost certainly not going to happen list.

There is a lot of international interest in these bands and no announced tour dates. If there is going to be an Irish date it will be part of an international or at least European tour for them and they'll announce several dates at once. They won't be giving local radio stations heads up on these as they would leak in no time.

Much for the same reason I do not see EP suddenly being announced with any of these names. Most likely a tour will be announced... there will be no Irish date and then the festival will be announced with the band. It is actually possible the delays in the EP announcement are to wait for such a tour announcement to go ahead (though I'm not betting on it).

If I had to guess based on the fact they are touring and would fit the bill and they've nothing in and around my guess is the Monday announcement might be Depeche Mode but if it turns out to be the long awaited B*Witched reunion concert I'm not really going to be surprised that Phantom oversold it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭The Guardian

a contact in the industry recently told me that there is a good chance of a massive britpop reunion gig being scheduled in dublin this year
    she said bands like suede, elastica, kula shaker, the verve, ocean colour scene, the charlatans, echobelly, sleeper and menswear were all in discussions
    had a list of about 15 bands, most of which i have now forgotten unfortunately
    this would prob sell out if in marlay or the phoenix park, particularly if the sun was shining
    most people who enjoyed this britpop scene are in full time employment now and prob have sufficient disposable income to get a ticket, a few cans and a box of fags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

a contact in the industry recently told me that there is a good chance of a massive britpop reunion gig being scheduled in dublin this year
    she said bands like suede, elastica, kula shaker, the verve, ocean colour scene, the charlatans, echobelly, sleeper and menswear were all in discussions
    had a list of about 15 bands, most of which i have now forgotten unfortunately
    this would prob sell out if in marlay or the phoenix park, particularly if the sun was shining
    most people who enjoyed this britpop scene are in full time employment now and prob have sufficient disposable income to get a ticket, a few cans and a box of fags

That would be one of the worst gigs of the decade.

think you need to open your mind a little and perhaps dust off some records

if EP had a britpop theme day (say the saturday) with the verve headlining this would give it real profile and potentially blow longitude out of the water

if EP had a britpop theme day (say the saturday) with the verve headlining this would give it real profile and potentially blow longitude out of the water

IT would be half empty with a handful of oddsocks.
    Britpop was horribly dated and dull at the time and aged even worse. You never hear any of those bands on the radio now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

The Verve would indeed give it real profile seeing as they split up again a few years ago.

Joe Hart wrote: »
    You never hear any of those bands on the radio now.

precisely why people would love to head down to laois to see / hear them again! this is a solid proposition for EP.
    I think its really risk free. who knows, maybe they could persuade beady eye and some other 'modern takes' to participate also. this type of mix would blow ticket sales through the roof. remember, its not too long ago that oasis were playing to almost 200k people per night. if EP only got 20% of these to attend thats 40k

€€€€€€

precisely why people would love to head down to laois to see / hear them again! this is a solid proposition for EP.
    I think its really risk free. who knows, maybe they could persuade beady eye and some other 'modern takes' to participate also. this type of mix would blow ticket sales through the roof. remember, its not too long ago that oasis were playing to almost 200k people per night. if EP only got 20% of these to attend thats 40k

€€€€€€

They are the polar opposite of the music policy you would associate with EP. I think you're having me on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

IT would be half empty with a handful of oddsocks.
    Britpop was horribly dated and dull at the time and aged even worse. You never hear any of those bands on the radio now.

Completely agree...couldn't think of anything worse than listening to all that.
    Jees will they just announce EP already!

well if the britpop event isnt taken up by EP i for one will not be surprised if the festival goes under
    needs to make a radical statement to the music industry this year or its bust

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

well if the britpop event isnt taken up by EP i for one will not be surprised if the festival goes under
    needs to make a radical statement to the music industry this year or its bust

I could see it happening as a stand-alone gig but not part of EP..

Not sure if it would sell out though!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

antifyre wrote: »
    As the thread is now 'Conjecture-palooza' (TM) I'll hang my coat on this... Bowie will play a gig at the IMMA the same weekend Blur do (utter wishlist, utterly happy to be right...)

Wrong. Bowie not touring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Mr.S wrote: »
    IF anyone posts about "a contact in the industry" or simular i'm deleting the post and banning them for life twice over.

Jesus wept.

I'm tempted to post about my contact in the industry named David Bowie, but I promise I won't do it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Mr.S wrote: »

Jesus wept.

When he heard that Daft Punk were headlining EP! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It just gives me the goose bumps to even think of getting a chance to actually see this at the Picnic I can only dream although the fireworks are not part of the set, this is the RockNess closing ceremony. Looks like it could almost have been as good as Kraftwerk at EP 2005 which was stunning too. I only made it to the 2010 RockNess but I managed to see Aphex Twin in the same tent amongst loads of others I caught a bit of.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

I must be the only person that would prefer Daft Punk didn't play EP....

I like them but I cannot understand the recent (post 2006) mania over them. The crowd they would attract now would put me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

The crowd they would attract now would put me off.

Really? I have to say when they played Marley, the crowd was amazing. Probably the most communal, feel- good gig I've ever been to. Unless their following has radically changed, I wouldn't be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

The bar was closed early at Marley and I remember seeing lots of people getting dragged out by the police in and around it so there was something going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭exilec

Got this reply about posh camping. Hope she is right..!!:cool:

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Justine Lester <justine.lester@yurtsandsqurts.com> wrote:
    Hi xxxxxx,

I have had word that the festival will go ahead however the management
    is new. I am still awaiting the go live date but I have been reassured
    that the festival is to go ahead. I will be in touch as soon as I have
    more news.

From Justine at Cloudhouses home of yurts and squrts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

I wouldn't be that bothered about seeing Daft Punk either. But when it gets so many people excited.... The atmosphere would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Daft Punk would be a let down for me too. My ideal headliner would be Radiohead or Smashing Pumkins😎

sadie06 wrote: »
    Really? I have to say when they played Marley, the crowd was amazing. Probably the most communal, feel- good gig I've ever been to. Unless their following has radically changed, I wouldn't be worried.

They got a whole new younger following after that gig. EDM fans.

That gig was ok but I was a bit let down having heard it note for note on a cd for the previous weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The have signed with a big label. EP won't be able to afford them!
    I like them but I cannot understand the recent (post 2006) mania over them. The crowd they would attract now would put me off.
    sadie06 wrote: »

The reason they are held in such high esteem is that live set is amazing and the show is unreal. the maojority of gigs you go to I always slighty short changed but I actually under estimated how good daft punk were.
    I also think anyone who saw them at oxegen would probably class that in their top three
    Toast wrote: »
    The bar was closed early at Marley and I remember seeing lots of people getting dragged out by the police in and around it so there was something going on.

There was 25,000 people at that gig. you live a sheltered life me thinks

They won't be playing the picnic anyways that is for sure

• Advertisement

John Reynolds on Radio1 now, says he hopes and thinks it will go ahead, although "too many chefs may spoil the broth".
    really just what we already now, it's up to the different management companies/owners sort out their issues. definitely not off yet....

Advertisement