Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Anyone else covered in insect bites from the weekend? Bastards have me eaten alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Great weekend as expected. Only two crap things:
    • Off-license had no cider this year for some reason, beer makes me sleepy!
    • Waaaaaay more people that last year, and LESS toilets in Oscar Wilde?! Because that makes sense!

Otherwise, can't complain, had so much fun. Stomach sore from laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Where the **** was the RBMA?,

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭jimosterberg

ponceprhea wrote: »
    Jim carroll is a music snob, he talks ****

Have to agree. I went to OCS as was a big fan when I was a teenager. The set was a havily laden with songs from the 1st two albums and I really enjoyed it. He obviously doesn't like the band and wasn't able to write an objective review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Pudsy33 wrote: »

So funny....my brother asked a randomer this question on Friday night and she said it was her third picnic and she could assure him it didn't exist. 5 mins later, he was there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Would have had such a better weekend if my Galaxy S4 wasnt stolen on the first night. Fecker snuck into my tent while I slept and took it out of my bag which I had next to me along with €70.

Put a real downer on things. First time iv ever lost a phone/had one stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭jimosterberg

Great weekend all in all. Did find the crowd a bit younger and a bit rougher than other years but still generally a nice crowd.

Highlights

Johnny Marr - new stuff stood up well but the atmosphere for the Smiths songs were amazing
    Parquet Courts - loved their set
    Robert Plant - Led Zep stuff was amazing
    Bjork - Interesting show, had only seen her on TV before

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Just beyond the jacks in Oscar Wilde - heading out to carpark, turn left down fenced lane. Be guided by repetitive baseline and flicker of lasers in the branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

sadie06 wrote: »
    So funny....my brother asked a randomer this question on Friday night and she said it was her third picnic and she could assure him it didn't exist. 5 mins later, he was there!

That randomer could have been my girlfriend, we've never managed to find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Little improvements for next year, none of which are going to cost much to implement:

- A better map that is to scale. Maybe use google satellite view as the template for the map.
    - Put showers and more food places and toilets in Oscar Wilde campsite.
    - Make the leave no trace area bigger or provide more bins and have separate bins for recycling cans and bottles.
    - Allow a better range of beers/ciders be sold. They have a great range of food outlets, why not the same for drinks.
    - Make comedy tent bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

recyclebin wrote: »
    - Allow a better range of beers/ciders be sold. They have a great range of food outlets, why not the same for drinks.

Because they all want exclusivity...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭xxerogravity

Good festival overall, but not brilliant. They really went cheap on the Friday night with most of the tents closed with nothing going on.
    That and Saturday are the main nights for a lot of people especially those who leave on Sunday night. Very disappointing.

I think the festival needs to do a lot to inject new life and reinvent itself. 4 years in a row for me and it's the same things and lay out every year. I only noticed a concentrated young demographic at Elle Goulding which wasn't surprising, and the (minor enough) scumbag element during Disclosure.

I think I'll be a day ticketer, if even, from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

threein99 wrote: »
    Anyone get to see Deap Vally ? I missed them, was really hoping to catch them

Yep, caught the last 3 songs of their set. A-maz-ing! Their sound is so big considering it's just 2 girls on stage. Singer has a fantastic voice also.

Spent lots of time checking out the acts in the Body and Soul this year too. Overhead, the Albatross were brilliant. Really loved The Dionnes on Friday who kicked off proceedings, eased us into the weekend early and got everyone in good form. Also an Icelandic band whose name eludes me at the moment - 2 chicks, a dude and an Oboe.

David Byrne was the best of the weekend though, caught him by accident, so so glad I did. Although FBS came a close second, haven't danced that much in ages.

I did the Boutique camping this year, well worth it for the extra comfort.

Don't know if it was just me but I thought there were a lot more pilled up youngsters going around this year compared to others, some of them in visible distress which really upsets me to see. I didn't even see a Garda until Sunday afternoon.

All in all another great weekend and the free cake was much appreciated.

Edited to add a special mention for the Eels. They had a nightmare start to their set but really won over the audience. Is your sh1t on? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Toulouse wrote: »

Edited to add a special mention for the Eels. They had a nightmare start to their set but really won over the audience. Is your sh1t on? :D

Come here and give me a hug! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 music lover 2

Anyone know who the guys on the main Body and Soul stage on sunday night were they were on at 1.30am-2.30am?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Where to start?

I made a grand entrance to the picnic by being held up at the gates for twenty minutes for becoming probably the only person to ever lose their ticket during the 10 metre walk from the ticket scanners to the wristband exchange. The scanners had gone down when we were going through so they were taking off the stubs, so once I managed to retrieve that and had the lady working with the scanner vouch that I had a ticket, I was let in. To say I was grateful is an understatement because they could have easily said no and turned me away.

Moving onto security, a lot of people were saying they would be a disaster in the weeks leading up to it but I think they were leaps and bounds better than whatever Motley Crue operation that was behind it before. There were a lot more patrols around the campsite than I've ever seen before and they all seemed to be good humoured and reasonable.

They definitely could have done with better signposting around the site. It was the first time I ever got the bus there, so I was camping up in Janis Joplin so I was very disorientated from the get-go which wasn't helped by some signposts pointing in the complete wrong direction.

As for the weekend itself, I didn't see as many bands as I would have liked. I caught all my "must-see" acts, but didn't get to see the bands that had been recommended to me and the like. David Byrne and St. Vincent and Robert Plant were the highlights of the weekend for me...

Can't wait for next year! So long as I remember that I'm getting older and not able to session for 4 days in a row I'll be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Did 2 people die?

Heard one had a heart attack from taking blue ghost and the other fell out of a tree?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Dubron

Anyone know who the guys on the main Body and Soul stage on sunday night were they were on at 1.30am-2.30am?

Mount Kimbie, never heard of them before last night but they had the place absolutely hopping, one of my highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Without a doubt the best weekend of my life.

I would have to agree with you there, I am 40 this year and that was my first EP, cant believe I never went before, think the price scared me off. It was amazing, just an absolute blast from start to finish, met so many crazy beautiful freaks, brilliant. I am in bits now, hungover like a dog. I haven't raved so much in years. cant say a good enough word about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

The sets I saw, in order of greatness. I'm not a big talking heads fan but David Byrne & St Vincent was awesome - even after missing the first 20 mins or so. Fair play to Andrew Stanley for giving a sterling effort of being MC for two days straight on his own in the comedy tent also.

David Byrne & St Vincent
    Disclosure
    David O'Doherty (comedy)
    Cyril Hahn
    BRMC
    Dylan Moran (comedy)
    Sam smith
    Damian Clark (comedy)
    Robert Plant
    Chrome Sparks
    Jagwar Ma
    Mount Kimbie
    Blondes
    Noah and the whale
    Reginald D Hunter (comedy)
    The Strypes
    Fatboy Slim
    Black Uhuru
    Ocean colour scene
    Bernard O'Shea (comedy)
    My bloody valentine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Cotsy

Did anyone else check out No ceremony in the Cosby tent early on the Saturday?

I think they were my highlight, last week I was just randomly going through bands I hadn't heard of and these guys stood out so I checked them out and they were great, I'd expect to see them on a bigger stage next year. (Bassist/ singer is a fox too)

Warpaint was no1 on my priority list for this weekend but I thought they were only ok. They had a nightmare with the sound, 20 mins late then Teresa's mic wasn't turned on for half of the opening song. They took a risk playing new songs, not sure it paid off but ill look out for the next album and would check them out if playing in Ireland again, they are great to look at after all.

Deap valley were another highlight, caught the last couple of song in the Knife's set and kind of wish I had left arctic monkeys a bit earlier, the tent was giving it socks.

Regrets :missing Bjork and David Byrne and not getting my free cupcake!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Sheebs

Anyone notice how all the people working there were Scottish/English? It seemed like none of the security, food vendors etc were Irish.

Had a brilliant weekend. 5th time seeing the Arctic Monkeys and they didn't disapoint, great mix of songs from all their albums and ended the festival on a massive high for me.

Other highlights were King Kong Company, Disclosure, Ben Klock... Bacardi Arena was always hopping - great place for a bop!

The fear is starting to set in now though :( Take me back!

Sheebs wrote: »
    Anyone notice how all the people working there were Scottish/English? It seemed like none of the security, food vendors etc were Irish.

Specialized Security are based in Edinburgh and other parts of the UK. Loads of them came over on the ferry last week. In fairness to them, they did a very good and thorough job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Anyone know why Tiga was cut short?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

lkionm wrote: »
    Did 2 people die?

Heard one had a heart attack from taking blue ghost and the other fell out of a tree?

The tree incident was last year

The tree incident was last year

2 years ago. The lad had a very bad spinal injury. Unless there was one last year too.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Was that LA Galaxie? Guys in silver hooded jackets and kicking beats?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ciaranf92

Björk, MBV, David Byrne, The Knife, Peace and Johnny Marr were all standouts. BRMC and Miles Kane are always a pleasure too.

Enjoyed Mount Kimbie's surprise show in Body & Soul too (although I was built up on James Murphy rumours! :/). John Grant dueting with Sinead O'Connor was also nice.

Thought Fatboy Slim was terribly boring though. Got fed up and left after 20mins or so. Warpaint were a little disappointing too.

Fantastic weekend overall. First picnic, by no means the last! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Fugs!!

Had a great festival apart from the wifes phone being stolen. Also I think having paid so much for a campervan ticket, the fecilities could be better.

Most epic was robert plant.

Most original was crystal fighters. .. loved it.

Funniest by a mile was eels... gimme a hug!

Johnny marr was class

Swords and rsag in b&s were great.

Ocs did not impress me. I saw them nearly 20 years ago in dublin but they're not what they used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

St. Vincent and David Byrne blew the electric arena apart with their set. Best gig for me by a long shot.

Advertisement