Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, finally got these pics up... they are a bit , um, random but there are some good shots in there I think and I've weeded out the crap.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/devoresphotos/sets/72157635353061100/

See how much my weekend intersected with yours lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Sheebs

Specialized Security are based in Edinburgh and other parts of the UK. Loads of them came over on the ferry last week. In fairness to them, they did a very good and thorough job.

Surely an Irish security company would've done as good a job? Is it cheaper to bring people over from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Highlight:
    Big drum near washing mc maze.
    Giant gramophone
    Crystal fighters!!
    MsMr (Front and centre for their gig, Made direct eye contact with the lead singer Lizzy, she winked and smiled at me!! I blushed like a little teenage girl!!)
    No ceremony! Brill!
    The 1975, (Their chocolate single was a bit pop-cheesy, but other stuff/live performance is much heavier than I expected, good gig)
    Bjork
    The Trampz at trailer park Friday night, danced my ass off proper craic!
    Love the body and soul area.
    Thumbs up to Traffic management, arrived Friday about 12-1 no jams drove straight in! Same leaving today.

Bad points:
    Wasps!!
    I missed Disclosure, chvrches & John Grant !! Gutted :(!
    Ellie goul-bag isn't a picnic act in my opinion, appeals to a much younger crowd.
    Toilets! Really noticed it with the capacity crowd (Glad I'm not female!)
    Security checks into arena! Was 50min at one point, cruel as the check point was beside the Chvrches the very act I wanted to see.
    More dodgy looking pill heads around.
    Way more just turned 18 crowd than normal. One large group in the camp site constant sing song-roaring-houling 'the fields of Athenry' and the national anthem, all weekend!!

Security guard was telling me an 18 year old girl in Hendrix had €1000 stolen from her tent!! X4 girls decided to bunch their money together and left it in the tent????????
    Was in Hendrix myself, came back to the tent at one point to find all the tent doors and zips open. Someone had gone through our stuff but nothing taken, we had beer in the hallway but this wasn't touched. All the years I've been this has never happened.

I get a slight inkling the family and arts aspect was being suppressed, will it last at all?. I think I'll need to take a good look at next years line up see what crowd it would attract before going!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Sheebs wrote: »
    Surely an Irish security company would've done as good a job? Is it cheaper to bring people over from the UK?

These guys are festival pros' do most of the UK festivals, not on a power trip! prefer to have them rather than once off amateurs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭xxerogravity

Im sure these things are put out to tender and cost may well have been a factor along with other requirements, including expertise, experience and capability. You make a valid point though. How much weight is given to supporting local/national economy versus other factors, I dont know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Im sure these things are put out to tender and cost may well have been a factor along with other requirements. You make a valid point though. How much weight is given to supporting local/national economy versus other factors, I dont know.

As long as the security is doing a good job then it wouldn't bother me if they came from Mars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭xxerogravity

threein99 wrote: »
    As long as the security is doing a good job then it wouldn't bother me if they came from Mars.

That would be the most important for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭treccie

St. Vincent and David Byrne blew the electric arena apart with their set. Best gig for me by a long shot.

100% agree with you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭scruffmonkey

Mr.S wrote: »
    The UK companies are well used to festivals and are actually decent in their job, not saying all Irish ones are bad but a lot of the event security staff here are on powertrips and have no respect to the ol' customer. Plus i'm sure they are a better deal then what the Irish ones can provide.

Given the festival is organised by Festival Republic (a UK firm), the security is probably put to tender by them for all of the festivals that they organise, would make sense to do it that way and book it for the summer season rather than an event by event booking.

Thought they were thorough at what they were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Jesus I'm wrecked.

Mano le tough was amazing. John grant with Sinead o conner was a gorgeous moment. Mother djs in body and soul last night were brilliant and were a great end to the wkend. After all these years I finally managed to get into see Dublin gospel choir and they were so so enjoyable and really kicked off the Sunday.
    Enjoyed warpaint chvrches yesterday, disappointed with disclosure, they lost me in the middle n kinda felt that I could have just played the album back at the campsite and it would have been the same thing!!
    Few things bugged me, the fecking amusement rides have to go, they are obnoxious , loud and tacky looking and have no place at the picnic, the helter skelter they had before and merry go round look the part when you walk in but as for the rest of the s#ite, just awful. Crowd were so so young in comparison to previous years and I didn't see any trouble of any sort. Noticed that there wasn't as many children as before, this is a real pity if that dies out.
    All in all a great wkend, not the best picnic mind, fri night was a complete let down with f all going on. I felt that things didnt get going till Sunday.
    Also thought that body n soul this year was the best in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

I didn't go to a festival (Indiependence) this year because of several bad experiences with security at the same festival last year. They were locally hired young lads who had absolutely no person skills, no manners, no interest in what they were doing, and no concept that they were providing security at a music festival where the customers having fun is an important part of the weekend. Their supervisor was a seasoned security worker who had been doing gigs all summer in the UK and apologised saying he had never worked with such 'hopeless nobs' in his life...

The security at the Picnic were great (again) this year, and I'd sooner have people who know what they are doing in charge of my safety than a bunch of what I'd call 'corner boys' on power trips...

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

the security were spot on loads of checks and a very visible presence

visibility is key at things like the picnic 90% of the time it does put off the idiots from acting like idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Rfrip wrote: »
    Few things bugged me, the fecking amusement rides have to go, they are obnoxious , loud and tacky looking and have no place at the picnic, the helter skelter they had before and merry go round look the part when you walk in but as for the rest of the s#ite, just awful.

Jesus, I can't believe I forgot to say this. They are awful! I quite like falling asleep to the din of music going on all over the site, but that f*cking ghost train had some repetitive line like "Come on in to the evil ghost train" that boomed out every 2 mins into the wee hours! Aaaaggghhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

On a lighter note I had an amazing weekend cant even decide who was the best gig, the weather was brilliant, good crew of us camping, sound neighbors, good food, loads of drink :)

Were we the only ones who enjoyed 2 door cinema club?
    I think they have a great poppy feel good vibe we were all smiles leaving that one. Didn't blow my mind (like Franz Ferdinand did), but they were really enjoyable.

I think Longitude stole a few big name acts who were touring this year and would have been ideal for the Picnic. But hey I was at both so thats not really a complaint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

On a lighter note I had an amazing weekend cant even decide who was the best gig, the weather was brilliant, good crew of us camping, sound neighbors, good food, loads of drink :)

Were we the only ones who enjoyed 2 door cinema club?
    I think they have a great poppy feel good vibe we were all smiles leaving that one. Didn't blow my mind (like Franz Ferdinand did), but they were really enjoyable.

I think Longitude stole a few big name acts who were touring this year and would have been ideal for the Picnic. But hey I was at both so thats not really a complaint!

We really enjoyed 2 Door Cinema Club, I was amazed how many songs I knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 freelance2013

sadie06 wrote: »
    Jesus, I can't believe I forgot to say this. They are awful! I quite like falling asleep to the din of music going on all over the site, but that f*cking ghost train had some repetitive line like "Come on in to the evil ghost train" that boomed out every 2 mins into the wee hours! Aaaaggghhh!

Ah, come on the Ghost Train was the best part!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

sadie06 wrote: »

agree 10 fold on this if they have to be there no ****ing noise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Rfrip wrote: »
    Jesus I'm wrecked.

Mano le tough was amazing. John grant with Sinead o conner was a gorgeous moment. Mother djs in body and soul last night were brilliant and were a great end to the wkend. After all these years I finally managed to get into see Dublin gospel choir and they were so so enjoyable and really kicked off the Sunday.
    Enjoyed warpaint chvrches yesterday, disappointed with disclosure, they lost me in the middle n kinda felt that I could have just played the album back at the campsite and it would have been the same thing!!
    Few things bugged me, the fecking amusement rides have to go, they are obnoxious , loud and tacky looking and have no place at the picnic, the helter skelter they had before and merry go round look the part when you walk in but as for the rest of the s#ite, just awful. Crowd were so so young in comparison to previous years and I didn't see any trouble of any sort. Noticed that there wasn't as many children as before, this is a real pity if that dies out.
    All in all a great wkend, not the best picnic mind, fri night was a complete let down with f all going on. I felt that things didnt get going till Sunday.
    Also thought that body n soul this year was the best in years.

I could have wrote this, spot on. grant/oconnor and david byrne were the highlights. Also saw the DGC for the first time too!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭kwat

Know it's a long shot, but lost my camera (a blue Canon Ixus) on Friday night. It was in a black leather case and I lost it somewhere between the Heineken Live Project bar and Casa Bacardi. Have already been to the Garda tent and nothing has been handed in. If anyone has come across it you might PM me. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

My first E.P, must say it was probably one of the best weekends of my life.

Friendly people everywhere in the campsite,great atmosphere, Security seemed to do a good job too without being over the top and in your face, quite friendly too.

Got to see all the acts I wanted to except for Hudoson mohawke( Couldn't get in!)
    Only disappointed by Fatboy slim and my bloody valentine( felt like hours and the video thing in the background was messing with my head, must've been those dodgey beers :pac:)....fell asleep standing during the walkmen as well... oops :pac:

Palma Violets,Peace,Franz Ferdinand,Disclosure,Kodaline,Young Wonder, Cyril hahn, the monkeys, Noah & the Whale were all very good I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭christy_weezer

my first time at the festival, definitely a much younger crowd than I expected, noticed a bit of a yob element around the place which reminded me of oxegen, albeit nowhere near the same level, still though camped in hendrix and had good comfort, nobody fell on my tent which was a nice surprise haha, did my best to soak up as much of the festival as I could which resulted in practically no sleep for the weekend so I'm quite shattered now and ready to hit the hay...discovered new parts of body & soul each night, it's an amazing little spot! musical highlights for me would have to be Robert Plant and Johnny Marr, both were exceptional performances, would definitely love to go back next year but as others have said that will depend on the lineup and the sort of crowd that's drawn as a result, overall though it was class!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭christy_weezer

my first time at the festival, definitely a much younger crowd than I expected, noticed a bit of a yob element around the place which reminded me of oxegen, albeit nowhere near the same level, still though camped in hendrix and had good comfort, nobody fell on my tent which was a nice surprise haha, did my best to soak up as much of the festival as I could which resulted in practically no sleep for the weekend so I'm quite shattered now and ready to hit the hay...discovered new parts of body & soul each night, it's an amazing little spot! musical highlights for me would have to be Robert Plant and Johnny Marr, both were exceptional performances, would definitely love to go back next year but as others have said that will depend on the lineup and the sort of crowd that's drawn as a result, overall though it was class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Viserion

Given the festival is organised by Festival Republic (a UK firm), the security is probably put to tender by them for all of the festivals that they organise, would make sense to do it that way and book it for the summer season rather than an event by event booking.

Thought they were thorough at what they were doing.

We got chatting to one of the security men over in the boutique camping area and he said it's pretty much the case that promoters will always use the same security/staff at every festival they're running.

Highlights - everything in body&soul, I agree with previous posters that sadly, it seems to be the only part of the picnic holding onto the proper EP vibe, Hurts, Kodaline, Robert Plant, BRMC, Eels and especially, King Kong Company in B&S - had never heard of them before and thought they were brilliant, would love to see them fill the Electric Arena maybe.
    Portaloos in the main arena were in a great way this year :)
    Food was great as usual :) Would like to see the choice of drink as varied as the food choices though.

Lowlights - Bronagh Gallagher non-stop chat on the Saturday night, the majority of the main stage acts.

Lowlowlowlights - the toilets in the Festihuts were in a bad way this year :( accommodation was still great and no hassle, we stayed there last year too, but we'll certainly be considering other accommodation next year. The toilets smelled horrific and every night they were left in an absolute state. One of the cubicles in the ladies was blocked all Sunday evening with toilet paper and other surprises and the cubicle in the mens was covered in a poo explosion on Sunday night. This is in no way a dig at the Festihut people, Thomas is a pleasure to deal with but I don't understand why people would pay that kind of money for good comfy accommodation and wreck it. It's not like it was a bunch of 18 year olds staying there, I didn't see anyone in the festihut site younger than about 25.
    Very different crowd this year, very young. Saw a lot of stuff that I would've preferred not to see. Heard from a lot of people that they were attacked along the gravel laneway and grass laneway between jimi hendrix and the boutique camping for their wristbands, attacked with knives to cut the wristband off and some of them ended up with very minor injuries but still a horrible thing to have happen to you.
    Lots of robbing going on, we had friends staying in each of the campsites and there was crap going on in all of them.

I really really hope that this doesn't spell the end of the EP experience we all have come to love. I wouldn't be the biggest fan of families there but I would prefer them to young people who have no self-control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭scruffmonkey

Viserion wrote: »
    Lowlowlowlights - the toilets in the Festihuts were in a bad way this year :( accommodation was still great and no hassle, we stayed there last year too, but we'll certainly be considering other accommodation next year. The toilets smelled horrific and every night they were left in an absolute state.

Was not much better in Pink Moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I was a bit surprised at how young a lot of the crowd was too, and the slightly scummier element. I suppose I can't really talk since myself and the people I was with are all 19/20 but there did seem to be a lot of annoying "teenagers at a festival" types around :P

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

Will there be somewhere to download podcasts of individual gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Did anyone see this guy at the salty dog stage on sunday at around 3p.m?

Hilarious!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=708499559176902&notif_t=like

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

First time going attending, had an absolutely amazing time. Oxegen having been the only other festival I've attended (09-11), EP really blew it out of the water. Found everyone I chatted to over the entire weekend very nice and friendly, didn't see any trouble whatsoever over the weekend and didn't even see too many people over the top drunk, thought that there was a fantastic atmosphere around the place. We had about 8 tents in our little circle and nobody had anything stolen from them either and never felt particularly in danger of stuff being robbed, which is a lot more than I can say for Oxegen. Personally I didn't think there was a dodgy crowd there at all, few more rough looking heads around on the Sunday I thought but nothing major, and as I said didn't see any trouble - so not fair to judge if someone is "scummy" based on what they are wearing really.

Didn't see a whole lot of acts if I'm being honest, Fatboy Slim was enjoyable but a bit disappointing on Friday night, was gutted when I heard Giorgio Moroder pulled out. Really enjoyed Cyril Hahn, Toby Kaar & Disclosure on Saturday. The rave in the woods really has to be seen to be believed, later in the night I found it a bit too busy but it was an incredible experience, spent a lot of time there over the course of the weekend. Raging I didn't venture into the Body & Soul until Sunday, thought the Sunday night there was the highlight of the whole weekend, great music at every stage and a really good crowd who were just there to have a good time and dance.

All in all found it such a great experience, was genuinely upset leaving this morning. Will definitely be back again next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I had a good time but it was not my fav picnic. If I was to sum up how it was organised it would be "if it ain't broke, fix it".

Was it just me or were there less bars and less toilets? If you we're at Cosby or the Little Big Tent you had to go all the way through to Body and Soul or towards Electric Arena for either. Not convenient when running between bands.

I camped in Pink Moon so not as big a fear of tent robbing shenanigans.

I'm raging I missed David Byrne & St Vincent to be a loyal Franz fan but I did enjoy Franz's set. BRMC played a great headline slot Saturday. Arctic Monkeys brought a sh1t crowd, complete tosspots, people of their faces and rough as f**k. Franz we barely offstage when me and my pals were getting squeezed as they tried to pack up towards the front. We moved out after a few minutes of that and it kept happening anywhere we stood. The band played a good opening half but I got a little bored later on, probably because I had to keep telling myself to try enjoy it and ignore the agro b@stards surrounding us.

Security this year was a bit OTT. I arrived Saturday morning and the guy even opened up my toiletry bag. Usually it's a pat down, establish You've no glass etc and let you through. I thought that was quite invasive. Are they looking for every last pill/drug they can find? That they will never do so don't try (not that I'd be bringing anything in with me). Then the queues for getting in and out of the arena seemed unnecessary and caused major tailbacks all day any time I saw it. Then at night you can't even stroll in with an opened can and if you had spirits in a plastic bottle it was confiscated still? That was just ridiculous.

I don't like the fact that they want to have 40,000 next year. It'll put me off especially when it feels like the great festival it once was is beginning to lose its shine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Arctic Monkeys brought a sh1t crowd, complete tosspots, people of their faces and rough as f**k. Franz we barely offstage when me and my pals were getting squeezed as they tried to pack up towards the front. We moved out after a few minutes of that and it kept happening anywhere we stood. The band played a good opening half but I got a little bored later on, probably because I had to keep telling myself to try enjoy it and ignore the agro b@stards surrounding us.

Sorry to hear you had a bad time cause of the crowd but don't blame the band for the crowd.

Advertisement