Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

Just remembered now, there seemed to be hoola-hoops all over the place this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

D!ckheads singing "don't look back in anger", "wonderwall" and "hey day" = the worst.
    Only saw one guitar wanker in the campsite this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Toast

How much was a pint?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

6.00 for heineken 6.50 for paulaner and tiger beer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The lads from Keoghs Crisps giving out free bags of crisps on the Sunday was a nice touch. :) Really enjoyed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

Didn't buy one pint of p!ss all weekend.

Happy to support quality food, but Heineken can suck my balls .

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

First Picnic for me and I adored it! Provisionally booked off that weekend for next year already :)

Myself and friends were in the 23-28 age group and had an amazing time - other than the cold on Saturday night! We booked Pink Moon and it so so so worth the money - being able to drop everything after dragging it from the car park and crack open a can without having to put up a tent was stunningly good and although we were only 1 tent, by the end of the weekend we had made friends with everyone around us and felt so safe... boutique camping all the way!

Good times for me were two door cinema club (I know they're getting bad reviews but i had so much fun!), little green cars, ellie goulding, chvrches, body and soul in general, dylan moran, david o doherty and andrew maxwell, the security staff being so sound, the heinken tent with the stools??, goldenhill icecream van with their malibu sorbet, mr motivator, the dionnes, artic monkeys early stuff, talking so much crap to all the randomers, duckworth- lewis method and the strypes...

Not so good times - fatboy slim, the wasps, the daddy long legs, main arena toilets on Sunday, the cold Sat night and not getting to rave in the woods :(

I'd personally have no problem with an over 23/25 limit and would love to see them look at something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Meth and RZA didn't turn up.

Raekwon, GZA, Ghostface, Masta Killa, U-God, Inspectah Deck and Cappadonna were all there.

Great set, that alone was worth the 200 quid for me.

Really? Was happy enough with it but RZA and especially Method Man are massive losses in terms of some of their verses and Method Man's hooks and crowd interaction etc. Disappointed with those two but the others put on a good show in fairness to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

LUPE wrote: »
    Really? Was happy enough with it but RZA and especially Method Man are massive losses in terms of some of their verses and Method Man's hooks and crowd interaction etc. Disappointed with those two but the others put on a good show in fairness to them.

One or two not being there is expected.

Even for shows in NYC.

Disappointed with Meth, RZA was never gonna be there.

TrixIrl wrote: »

I'd personally have no problem with an over 23/25 limit and would love to see them look at something like that.

Shirley first timers shouldn't have the cheek to suggest something like this

• Advertisement

One or two not being there is expected.

Even for shows in NYC.

Disappointed with Meth, RZA was never gonna be there.

Fair I enough I suppose, I just thought as it was part of a 20 Year Anniversary tour thing we might get them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

TrixIrl wrote: »

Of course you wouldn't, if you're over that age.
    I'm 25 so I'd be fine regardless but I think it's terrible to even suggest something like that as it's discriminating against so many people.

It also leans towards the suggestion that bad crowds only come from young people. Scumbags exists in all age brackets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Meth and RZA didn't turn up.

Raekwon, GZA, Ghostface, Masta Killa, U-God, Inspectah Deck and Cappadonna were all there.

Great set, that alone was worth the 200 quid for me.

Surprised that the show was so good without Meth tbh. Any time I've seen them live before he's always been the one getting the crowd going and holding the show down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Possibly a different taste in music than some here but I thought Two Door Cinema Club, Hudson Taylor, Kodaline, Noah & the Whale, Ellie Goulding, Little Green Cars and the 1975 were amazing, Fat Boy Slim was good too but as others have said, dragged a little in the middle! Raging I didn't get to see Ryan Sheridan, Gavin James and Dylan Moran though. The only act I saw that I wasn't really into was Arctic Monkeys and that's purely because I only knew a few songs and gave up after half an hour of being pushed into the people beside me. Rave in the Woods was unreal too, even if it did take me a good while to find :P

I loved the atmosphere, randomly chatting to others, walking around and seeing all the different parts to the festival itself and acts I hadn't heard of before, Body & Soul was brilliant. I thought Andrew Stanley did a great job in the comedy tent, didn't know many of the comedians there but Al Porter was absolutely hilarious! Not a huge selection of drinks if you aren't into beer/wine but the food was great and free cake was a bonus! Didn't actually get to see the fireworks because I was at the front of the stage but they sounded good :pac:

Stayed in Wilde and had no trouble bar my friends tents being open when we got back one night, nothing taken though. Managed to find an expensive enough phone too so handed in it and hopefully it made it back to the owner.

First time at EP so wasn't sure what to expect but I absolutely loved it and will definitely be back! (Plan on bringing warmer layers and sun cream next time though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Sorry to hear that some people didn't have as good an experience as other years. It is pretty unfair though to lash all the 'younger crowd' in the same group as 'skangers' or 'scumbags'. The reality is though that no matter what the festival is, unfortunately, the will be 0.1% of the attendees that will be ar*eholes. I was working scanning tickets on the friday (Gate 7) and really found it to be a great atmosphere despite the long treks with drink/tents etc. that people were making.

I slept in the staff campsite all weekend and I didn't see or hear of any trouble so was happy out there (naturally a quieter place though, obviously).

Funnily enough, the best single hour of craic I had over the weekend was in the silent disco on sunday night. I honestly thought it was brilliant. (Maybe it was the people I was with at that time or whatever but it really was great craic).

The toilets (mens toilets) seemed to be in pretty good condition for the most part which was good to see. The security were tight which is a good thing. It is there job at the end of the day but I did also see common sense been used when it had to be.

Overall, the festival was fantastic but i'm not sure i'd really be up for camping in general camping. It was ideal going to meet friends in general camping then heading back to the quite campsite for a few hours kip.

I won't be back in 2014. Heading to Australia! I shall certainly be back to it when I can be! Have a good in 2014 people. Take care!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

LUPE wrote: »
    Shirley first timers shouldn't have the cheek to suggest something like this

Don't call me Shirley ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fionamcfi

As always I had a wonderful time at picnic! Unfortunately not as good as previous years. It was beyond crowded on Sunday ... And defo didn't have the same vibe as previous years. I came home with the feeling that it might have been my last. Also the toilet situation was a nightmare, I can't believe I actually missed the long drop in the campsite.

As for talks of next year and increasing the numbers, I fear that the change in management may have killed the picnic I love.

Hope everyone had a great time this year. Ill b looking out for next years blog ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Didnt do it for me at all. Was ok. Few small things missing, like the wishing tree, the big wooden chair that used to be in Body and Soul. Food wasnt great. Won't be back.

Wat. the food was amazing! I got delicious falafel and a few good burgers, some decent pasta and a really nice corn dog for €3. I assume there are more reasons why you didn't enjoy it?

Last time I was at EP was 09 and I had a lot more fun this year because I was with more people and there were a lot more bands that I wanted to see. I agree there was a bit of a younger crowd, but maybe I'm a part of that at 22. There was definitely a few more scummers too but I had no trouble. Some lad offered us coke but when we politely declined he left us alone. A few people pissed me off when I was up front at main stage on Sunday but they were all older guys in their 30s who were just totally out of it and should have been slumped on the seats at the back. I was in hendrix campsite which was good craic. Ill definitely be back next year if theres even 1 or 2 acts that I want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

fionamcfi wrote: »
    As always I had a wonderful time at picnic! Unfortunately not as good as previous years. It was beyond crowded on Sunday ... And defo didn't have the same vibe as previous years. I came home with the feeling that it might have been my last.
    yeah, same.
    i had a good time and all, but it really felt like one of the worst one i've been to (along with 2009). can't quite put my finger on why, think it was a combination of a few different things slightly lacking really.

someone mentioned a few pages back it feeling like when witnness/oxegen started going downhill, and i'd agree with that. if it wasn't for the music, i probably wouldn't bother going any more tbh.
    i'm hoping it was just a blip, as last year was probably my favourite EP since starting going in 2005, but this year just left me feeling pretty "bleh" about the whole festival....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

im sick of hearing "cyril hahyn made my weekend" and "disclosure was the best set of the weekend " ???? shows the sort of crowd that went to it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

A V A wrote: »
    im sick of hearing "cyril hahyn made my weekend" and "disclosure was the best set of the weekend " ???? shows the sort of crowd that went to it :rolleyes:

People who enjoy music you do not enjoy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

cian68 wrote: »
    People who enjoy music you do not enjoy?

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Imagine people having a different taste in music to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Sure fire way to enjoy any festival. No matter how late you get to bed, get up first thing in the morning, go for a shower while they are clean, and then go for a "no. 2" while the toilets are clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Imagine people like different music to you! Shocking...
    seachto7 wrote: »
    Sure fire way to enjoy any festival. No matter how late you get to bed, get up first thing in the morning, go for a shower while they are clean, and then go for a "no. 2" while the toilets are clean.

First thing I did every morning was have a can. I didn't use the showers once!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

get up first thing in the morning, go for a shower while they are clean, and then go for a "no. 2" while the toilets are clean.

You're doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

My first time at EP and I had a great weekend.

Johnny Marr was the highlight for me. Robert Plant, Arctic Monkeys and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club were great as well.

Food was grand, Security was fine, didn't see any trouble.

We camped in the Andy Warhol and had no problems at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I agree with the latter part only, I found the jacks at the main stage besides the seating the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I agree with you TBH! I think the line-up is getting more commercial by the year. This was always sold as the "boutique" music festival that catered for mid and low-tier bands. Just look at the quality that has been, and will be playing in the likes of Button Factory and Whelans over the next few months. EP should be aiming for more of this quality. I understand you new a few "biggies" to sell a festival but the bread & butter to a good festival is what's underneath, and quite honestly the EP line-up is severely lacking throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Don't understand people giving out about a scummy element at all, I didn't really see any undesirables. Hendrix camp looked a bit nuts but thats why I decided to park up in Wilde, handy for leaving a few bits in the car and running out to stock up when required.
    Highlight for me was definitely getting to see Robert Plant in the flesh. Was on the front barrier and it was amazing, lost my **** completely when he opened up with "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You". Kudos to the girl standing behind me during his set who handed me back my phone after it decided to take off while I was going crazy rocking out.
    Didn't really get to see all that much bands overall. Caught Deap Vally whom the girlfriend recommended after seeing them in California last summer, who were brillaint, huge sound for a two piece. Wu Tang Clan were grand, not my cuppa tea normally but had a wee dance around to them. Saw a few mates of mine at the Salty Dog which was deadly because there were tons of people I knew buzzing around at it too.
    Stuck my head in to see Daithi on saturday afternoon and left after a few minutes, was a bit disappointed to see him just doing essentially a DJ set and playing over with the fiddle, was expecting to see a little bit of virtuosity after seeing what he can do on the telly before.
    The Dionnes on friday afternoon at Body and Soul were great, really nice laid back vibe to ease into the weekend with.
    Started Sunday with The Camembert Quartet at the Salty Dog who were fantastic, then onto main stage for Black Uhuru, which felt like Trenchtown had been transported to the main arena for an hour, brilliant vibe!
    Caught some of Warpaint too but only briefly, had a hot-tub booked for 8pm which was a great way to wind down and soak off some of the two previous nights excesses. Saw some great acts performing the open mic at Jimmy Lee's Juke Joint too, which was great!
    Only real downer for me was queuing for a whole hour for the ATM on saturday afternoon, must have been having some serious issues with their network as it was taking a minute or more for money to be dispensed after it was requested.
    All in all a great weekend though, very chilled out vibe for the whole weekend with no trouble, security were sound, great neighbours where we were in Wilde and just great fun!
    Will see everybody on Cosby's lawn again next year!

Advertisement