Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just to add, Monday morning we saw lots of, I'm going to say Crusties, wandering about on their own(but it seemed one would disappear with stuff and thered then be another after him/her) our campsite and going into empty tents and taking all minds of things as well as full tents themselves.
    It was about 50/50 people who had actually left and therefore no big deal(other than they not one of the Crusties asked the occupants in the next/nearest tent if the owners had gone) and the other 50 being people realising their backpack/beer/whatever, had gone.

I'd lay the blame on these people. They were probably stealing all this stuff while the headliners & bigger or cooler acts were on.
    They must have had an effin field day. Scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 freelance2013

I was lead to believe there would be 24 hour reggae. I need at least 22 hours of reggae a day. Very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm 18 and enjoyed myself at picnic. I went with a group of 18-21 year olds whom a lot of you seem to have scoffed at. Luckily I only met nice people all weekend, except for the man who pissed on one of our tents, but he was alone so that's probably the reason.

I practically lived in trenchtown and "missed" a lot of the big acts, and it was brilliant. I spent a lot of the weekend alone just wandering around to wherever I wanted which was very freeing and was definitely an experience I wouldn't have had without EP.

The food was great, I was disappointed at how little of it I got to try as I brought way too much of my own food.

I was extremely disappointed by the so-called rave in the woods which was just the redbull stage with way too many people asking me for pills constantly. I was expecting this aspect to be more raw than it was... The lasers were fantastic on the trees though. I'd say if I had been on class A's that area would have been the best.

At a few times over the weekend I found myself not really having a fantastic time just because of the reminders that it was so controlled, what-with the really strict searches and heavy plain clothes garda presence. I've been saying this to everyone but really I feel I got searched more than anybody else going through security every time. I would be watching people getting a basic pat down ahead of me in the line and then I would get really closely searched. On my way in on Friday morning the nice English man found my skins and was asking was I a weed smoker as he put it. I looked over towards the two gardai standing in ear-shot as I retorted 'no.' I'm still wondering how people managed to get a 2 foot glass bong into the arena at around 6pm Sunday. There's only so much you can hide on your person. Did they have an amputee put it inside their false leg?

I didn't really meet any of the undesirables that other people around here are talking about, but the few shady characters I did meet were soon either gone or nice to me once they heard my accent, or asked where in Limerick I was from.

Will I go next year? Absolutely. And I'd be happy to pay the normal full price for it, but using my eight-picnic-Uncle's 3 year code at 150 euro the whole weekend ended up costing me less than the full ticket price, and made the whole experience a steal.

Did anyone see me in my gap grey hoodie?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

I managed to do my knee in on the Saturday night so missed a lot of the festival, major bummer.

I was one of the 'TEA! COFFEE! HOT CHOCOLATE!' chaps in the orange gear around the Hendrix campsite in the mornings. That tank is a heavy fecker, think the weight of it sprained the knee or something but from Saturday evening onwards I could hardly walk on it.
    Props to all those working in the medic tent, they were mad sound and understanding.

In the end I managed to see;

My Bloody Valentine
    - Absolutely ****e, I like my bitta shoegaze but you couldn't make out any of the vocals, and it all seemed a bit blurry even for a wall-of-sound band.
    Robert Planet Presents the Sensational Space Shifters - Not at all familiar with his new band but man did he put on a show! And his voice still commands that same power and clarity he had in his Zepp days. Absolutely fantastic!
    Bjork - Only saw half of this but was pretty decent, nice visuals. Was never really one for her weirdness.
    Warpaint - Bit of a let down, loadsa tech hiccups and the bass seemed a little drowned out.
    MO - My new find of the year, wandered into her set with some mates and was blown away! Will be looking out for her...
    Clinic - Stayed around for ten minutes but didn't seem to be going anywhere, pretty terrible live sound despite good studio work. Cool costumes though.
    Lulu James - Another new find, pleasantly surprised. Really great singing that just boomed around the tent, ultra-confident performance.
    Last Days of 1984 - Terrible performance, lacked any of the pop and energy the album was full of.
    Torann Drummers - Caught the end of, would look out for again. Love to see em in a tent.
    Meltybrains? - Can't really remember much but enjoyed it at the time.
    David O' Doherty - Been meaning to see him for years, absolutely deadly gig. Love his honest if cheeky brand of humour, and the keyboard numbers too. Shame the tent was filled up.

Missed loadsa others I wanted to see, but a combination of the humpy leg and tiredness from working earlier had me in bed before 12 most days. Didn't get to check out the RBMA, Trenchtown, Salty Dog or Trailer Park.
    Food was nice, personally played it a little safe though. Charcoal Grill do some proper hot-dogs! Ye think there'd be some craft beer on sale though drinks-wise?

Can't really comment on showers, toilets and security though as my trader wristband let me in to the staff ones. Had a lovely 15-min trek out of the festival to the even lovelier private showers in the staff campsite. Security seemed sound enough but a little poorly-informed as to the whereabouts of things sometimes.

All in all I'm a little biased thanks to my injury but it's only my second year at EP so I'll see how it's shaping up next year. Lotsa lovely folk, great atmosphere and merciful weather made it that much more enjoyable though!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

I'm still wondering how people managed to get a 2 foot glass bong into the arena at around 6pm Sunday. There's only so much you can hide on your person.

They were great. They were on sale in the main arena at one of the stalls :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

Monday morning has always had people going around collect cans and whatever else was left behind.
    As for the large Scottish security presence, my mate (Scottish) got talking with some; they were all dragged in last minute as they had not enough of security otherwise.
    Kind of leads me to believe that the toilet situation was the same. They were way under what was needed to be there in the gents at least.
    Lack of "roads" and how packed hendrix and warhol made it some zig zag to get back.

And rant over.

As usual had a great time. 4th picnic and will be going to many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

this year was my fourth picnic and I loved it as usual.
    Even walking from the car park I noticed a massive age difference this year, but maybe I'm getting old and if the picnic is to continue it needs to attract the younger crowd.

I stayed at Pink Moon as usual and was delighted, to get back to your tent and 4 or 5am and to settle into the sleeping bag in total silence was worth the additional money alone.

Highlights for me: Disclosure were fantastic, I didn't really know what to expect but I was well impressed and they came across as very appreciative of the reception they received.

Factory Floor - Again, I knew nothing about them but given the fact that they were playing in the Little Big Tent I was quietly confident. Intense and brilliant, they reminded me of The Field with live drumming, I loved it.

Duckworth Lewis Method - I knew I would like these guys, funny and talented, a great set.

Fatboy Slim - I was expecting a total cheesefest but I must admit, he rocked the crowd and it was just all fun.

Ben Klock @ Rave in the Woods - What a powerful set. Pity the place was absolutely thronged because I felt if you were not slam bang in the middle speakers you were only going to get an earful of bass.
    I thought the laser lights across the trees made an amazing visual show, it could have been a massive screen, really well done.

My Bloody Valentine - I was concerned when I saw they were appearing on the main stage but the intensity of their stuff wasn't lost in the open air. So loud!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

threein99 wrote: »
    Imagine people having a different taste in music to you

omg shocking :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Have I been dreaming but this was the first year they had screens on the main stage? Can't rem them in other years

nocoverart wrote: »
    I agree with you TBH! I think the line-up is getting more commercial by the year. This was always sold as the "boutique" music festival that catered for mid and low-tier bands. Just look at the quality that has been, and will be playing in the likes of Button Factory and Whelans over the next few months. EP should be aiming for more of this quality. I understand you new a few "biggies" to sell a festival but the bread & butter to a good festival is what's underneath, and quite honestly the EP line-up is severely lacking throughout.

but disclosure on the main stage headlining ????? wttf :confused::confused: they have had one fcukin album like?they do not deserve to be on the mainstage ,closing and headlining! i dont like bjork atall but she has done way more to deserve a headlining spot at EP!!look at how much hype that has been around disclosure in the past year and their main stream bullsh*t!! i can see why EP attracted the type of people this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Rfrip wrote: »
    Have I been dreaming but this was the first year they had screens on the main stage? Can't rem them in other years

yes, first time I've ever seen them there also. The tiered seating stands around the main stage was another good addition, for children and parents etc.

Rfrip wrote: »

nope they didnt have screens on the main stage when i there in 06

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

A V A wrote: »
    but disclosure on the main stage headlining ????? wttf :confused::confused: they have had one fcukin album like?they do not deserve to be on the mainstage ,closing and headlining! i dont like bjork atall but she has done way more to deserve a headlining spot at EP!!look at how much hype that has been around disclosure in the past year and their main stream bullsh*t!! i can see why EP attracted the type of people this year

What 'type' of people are you talking about?
    You do realise you're talking about ~35000 people right now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

According to someone who shall remain nameless, it's not only cheaper to get in security people from the UK, but they're a lot more professional (as seen by some of the really intense searches mentioned here, had a few myself)

But it also stops the festival haemorrhaging money through Irish security staff giving their mates wristbands/letting them in free. This happened early on in EPs history and POD stamped it out quite quickly through availing of foreign staff.

Would love to see the same security crew again next year. They were sound out with none of this power trip malarkey going on like you'd see elsewhere

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I thought the security staff were really good this year, no complaints.

The "young crowd" wasnt so much to do with their age as their lack of maturity (and yes, theres a big difference :) ).

It was basically lack of consideration this year which disappointed me a bit. Roaring "Alan" and "Steve" is funny the first afternoon, for about 5 mins. At 4am in a campsite, its a dick-move of the highest order. Sitting with your mates around your tents is cool. Roaring at each other and acting the dick at 4am is not. There just seemed to be a higher amount of "f*ck everyone else, I want to do this and I want a good time for me" than before when people were more considerate about those around them.

In case its not obvious, I had two bunches of absolute gobsites camping around us. One gang of lads from Donegal one of whom puked in his own tent the first night and one gang of idiots from Dublin, who roared at each other all night and got shirty if someone asked them to shut up. Btw, "Amanda" you are a total slapper and "Emma" isnt going to the rave in the woods with you. So there.
    Final night, the Donegallers decided to kick the **** out of what I hope was there own tent. For, reasons.

It was a relief to get into B&S and chill, away from them. They werent knackers, they didnt steal or **** anywhere, or stab anyone, but they had NO CLUE how to conduct themselves and be considerate to others around them. Thats why it was different from before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

Agree with the above. It wasn't that the "younger" element were causing trouble per say it was their lack of consideration for others that can be maddening.
    Like the bunch of young guys near my tent doing laughing gas, vomiting and pissing on others tents on Friday night. Not on when your trying to get some kip at 5am.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭redtapestyl

Anyone know if the MBV set was recorded or podcasted?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

First time at EP this year, and I'll definitely be putting the pennies away for next year. Unbelievable atmosphere. Everything people had told me and more. The only other festival I had been to was Oxegen in 2009, and to say I was blown away was an understatement. The most trouble I saw one guy being led away by security because he was out of his mind.

Camped in Oscar Wilde and got a great spot with quite a few friends. We had brought a gazebo as something to sit under, but it very quickly became a landmark for people finding their way back to their tents. Would have worked well if 6 other groups around us hadn't bought the same gazebo. :p

Some of the crowd did seem a bit younger than I expected, but apart from the usual few heads only caring about themselves, everyone was super friendly. At one point I was on my way to Salty Dog and ended up sitting down with three guys in their 40's and chatting about Apocalypse Now and Dylan Moran. I came back to our tents on the Friday to find a bunch of random people with chairs under the gazebo. Turns out they camped just behind us and were looking for some cover while having cans, so we cracked open a few cans and ended up chatting to them all weekend.

Was let down by Fatboy Slim performance. Apart from the last 10 minutes it just felt like a constant loop. Couldn't understand the hype around Bjork either. Lot of other people said they never listened to her before and were blown away, but I wasn't really impressed. It may have had something to do with how BLOODY COLD IT WAS AT NIGHT.

Most of my Saturday was spent between the Comedy Tent, and cans at Salty Dog. I was there to see Propeller Palms and the Unusual Suspects perform "The River" charity single. I never expected them to both play a full set and the crowd were loving everything from the Suspects and singing every word of it. My only big regret is that I had to sacrifice seeing King Kong Company again in order to see Dylan Moran.

As DeVore said above, shouting around the campsite is funny at first, but gets old and annoying very quick. One guy decided to wander around our tents shouting "GARY" and "TOMMY" looking for his friends at 3am. Attempts to tell him they weren't here were ignored. The most annoying was 6am Monday morning and some ****er in the Oscar Wilde decides to start screaming "ALLLLAAAAAAAH" over and over for 4 minutes. No one laughing, just him amusing himself.

Le Galaxie was the absolute highlight of the weekend, and began my four hours of "holy **** this is amazing" experience. Left Arctic Monkeys early, ran back for cans, and barely made it over in time to be able to see the stage. Wandered off to go for a lash and just ended up blindly wandering through Body & Soul then. I threw shapes at a Trad Disco, sat in a hammock, watched some fire eaters and then made it back to Le Galaxie in time for the national anthem Jurassic Park theme. After hanging around for a bit longer, I wandered over to Salty Dog. The next hour is a blur, but I was then in Trenchtown and got confused by all the different entrances and exits. I was wandering in and out of the place for half an a hour. Then I realised it was 3am, and I was seeing strange lights in the distance. I followed them and ended up at the rave in the woods. I nearly got lost in the woods trying to go for a piss, and then when I slumped back into my chair at camp, everyone else arrived back and we headed back to Body & Soul, sat around the fire for a bit and had some more food.

I still haven't recovered and I still haven't calmed down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

when will I stop feeling like shít!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dia squish

First Picnic ever, absolutely loved every second! Even the weather was great, even though it was damn cold at night.

Music-wise, loved Little Green Cars, Disclosure, Daithi, John Grant, Arctic Monkeys. Some great bands on Salty Dog and Body & Soul stage I didn't catch/can't remember the names of. LE GALAXIE. Got there just after midnight and had to squeeze in at the side at the back but still thought it was magic. Very jealous of the people right in front of the stage. Musical highlight of the weekend however had to be David Byrne & St Vincent. Absolutely blown away, what a show. Went mad when he started into This Must Be The Place but the whole thing was incredible from start to finish, even the songs I'd never heard before. I'm now a massive fan.

Caught most of David O'Doherty sitting outside the comedy tent, he was great, sad I didn't get to see more comedy. Also sad to miss out on MO and The Knife. Didn't catch Bjork either but not sure I would have enjoyed her.

Camped right beside the funfair in Jimi Hendrix so can't really complain about noise as I knew it wouldn't be quiet from the start. At least they stopped blaring the awful music at 4am, just didn't bother going back to the tent til after then. Had no trouble in the campsite, neighbours were all lovely!

Can't wait for next year! Maybe in a quieter campsite though :)

Oh yeah, when were the fireworks? Thought they were supposed to be after Fatboy? Friday night was my drunkest so I may have been oblivious to them...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

As much as i loved EP this year (along with loads of my friends) i would love for them to have a bit of different type of music after all the main acts end . I mean i like i know the RBMA in the woods was all dance but id would have loved to have gone somewhere to hear some non dance music(bar the Silent Disco) . I know there was loads of different type of acts to see but i mean a DJ playing some 80's/90's/2000's tunes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Was loving the €150 price tag initially but anyone else find they pretty much spent the difference on alcohol in the main arena?
    Just hope the promoters got a bigger cut from the alcohol companies, that can then be reinvested back into the festival!

Bought two pints of Tiger in the arena over the weekend. That's it.
    Didn't even get through the 12 cans I brought with me.
    I'm obviously a cheap date.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bounci

big drum was ours its called Fuinneamh. glad you enjoyed it we had some fun sharing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

when will I stop feeling like shít!! :(

I still feel like **** :o

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ocli64

TrixIrl wrote: »
    I'd personally have no problem with an over 23/25 limit and would love to see them look at something like that.

You'd have no problem with this limit because you are over the age. It's ridiculous the amount of people blaming trouble at the festival on the "young crowd". Going by that logic my friends who are 21 and have been to 4 Picnics would not be allowed attend the next one. If anything I'd blame the lack of communication from the festival organisers. It was my first time going but had planned to go last year and it was definitely marketed as a more boutique, family-orientated festival in previous years.

As a first-timer I had a brilliant weekend with no trouble apart from the crowd near us blaring (admittedly decent) music from 4 til 8am on Sunday morning. Few earplugs sorted that.

Highlights were Disclosure, Little Green Cars, David O' Doherty, group hug with a crowd of strangers when my boyfriend returned their friend's phone at Fatboy Slim, Billy Bragg's tribute to Seamus Heaney, chilling on the hammock in Body and Soul, seeing a kid go absolutely mental to Arctic Monkeys on his dad's shoulders and just taking a wander through all the different areas.
    Although we only spent about 15 minutes at the rave in the woods it was definitely worth seeing and will be on the list for next year! All in all it was a brilliant weekend and I'll definitely be back next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Ugggggh. Still not feeling right.

I had high hopes for this morning :(

As much as i loved EP this year (along with loads of my friends) i would love for them to have a bit of different type of music after all the main acts end . I mean i like i know the RBMA in the woods was all dance but id would have loved to have gone somewhere to hear some non dance music(bar the Silent Disco) . I know there was loads of different type of acts to see but i mean a DJ playing some 80's/90's/2000's tunes etc

You would have loved mother djs in body and soul Sunday night. They played for hours, everything from madonna, chic to Chris malinchek. My feet are never going to be the same after dancing solidly to them in my wellies. Brilliant way to end the picnic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Had an amazing weekend. Lineup wasn't the best, but for 150, it was well worth it. Saw enough to keep me going. The random craic and chats were great though, such a sound crowd at it. The only trouble I had was with a very well educated mid 30s guy, so, yeah, I've no problem with the fun loving youngsters!

****in wasps were a pain eh. They were everywhere in the main arena. I also found it much quieter this sunday than last :confused: Yes friday and saturday were much busier but it seemed they didn't milk the one day tickets as much as last year. We had heaps more room at Arctic Monkeys compared to the Killers.

Music wise, Arctic Monkeys were my highlight. Loved it. Also enjoyed Little Green Cars (even though they started with their 3 worst songs, such a dodgy move, the crowd were totally non plussed). OCS were good saturday sitting in the sun drinking fare. Ellie Goulding was fun! A Skillz rocked the Casa Bacardi.

I thought Fatboy Slim was absolute muck. We still had fun, but they could have had a baby crying onstage and we woulda had fun that night. He was abysmal. I thought Le Galaxie were a bit disappointing too, but the changed time had them in zero energy zone. Mobbed gig though. I don't get Bjork, and Tiga was way less fun than I hoped for. Franz put on a very good show, perfect warm up for AM. If my body recovers I shall return! So so shagged from it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

My Bloody Valentine - I was concerned when I saw they were appearing on the main stage but the intensity of their stuff wasn't lost in the open air. So loud!

We were sitting in the stands for MBV with the kids. And every time they started a song - we were blasted back in the seats hanging on for dear life:D It was hilarious - knew absolutely nothing about them, will be happy if I never heard them again, but thoroughly enjoyed the show.
    yes, first time I've ever seen them there also. The tiered seating stands around the main stage was another good addition, for children and parents etc.

The stands were a great idea - we went up there for most of the main acts. Being able to see the stage & screens was great. And of course being old fuddies now - going up and sitting down with a coffee and watching the madness that is Bjork was brilliant.
    The acts I didn't think I would stay for, we saw the whole set, and the ones I thought we would stay for, we left. Getting bored watching a live band (esp a headliner) is really not good.
    DeVore wrote: »
    They werent knackers, they didnt steal or **** anywhere, or stab anyone, but they had NO CLUE how to conduct themselves and be considerate to others around them. Thats why it was different from before.

You didn't happen to be camping in Oscar Wilde, near Salty Dog were you?
    dia squish wrote: »
    Oh yeah, when were the fireworks? Thought they were supposed to be after Fatboy? Friday night was my drunkest so I may have been oblivious to them...

Fireworks were on after MBV and before Fatboy Slim. They were really good. Actually DeVore (only a few posts above you), posted a load of pictures from the fireworks, that are really good.

Advertisement