Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I'm just uploading mine, worse angle but better quality! Will post it when it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

agree with the comments about young girls been spoilt brats

I was walking in front of a few of them on Saturday on the way in and I must have heard 'tots' 20 times (totally, I presume it is short for). This was tots, that was tots... Idiots.
    seachto7 wrote: »
    ha. Brilliant!:D And correct. "Festival Fashionnnnnnnnnnnn"

It is NOT festival fashion, it is festival CHIC. Get the terminology right:rolleyes::D

Oh and mission to brainwash child no. 2 worked. I asked her last night did she want to see One Direction movie - she looked at me threw eyes to heaven, and said no.
    I asked her did she want to see Fatboy Slim movie, and she jumped up and down and said yes. She was genuinely excited. [She is 7].

Mission Electric Picnic Succeeded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

These were some mighty sparklers so! This video shows they are definitely flares. I have one which is even clearer

ha, didn't see that! apologies!

that's brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Ere ya go Sadie and the others interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Had Monday and Tuesday off, best decision i've made in a long time.

Highlights for me were Walkmen, Funeral suits, Chvrches, Arctics, Jagwar Ma, RSAG, 1975, Hurts were actually quite good, Robert Plant, Disclosure and somehow managed to find Rave in the woods all three nights.

I'm too old for this ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Fugs!!

Comfy crapper is the most disgusting thing I ever had the displesure of paying for. Absolutely disgusting. I almost heaved. Plus handing the wooden spoon for person to person is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Fugs!! wrote: »
    Comfy crapper is the most disgusting thing I ever had the displesure of paying for. Absolutely disgusting. I almost heaved. Plus handing the wooden spoon for person to person is disgusting.

Ya wat now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Fugs!! wrote: »

I used them once Saturday evening rather than brave the portaloos that would have been hammered all day, they smelled worse than any portaloo I was in all weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Finkployd

Really surprised to read the various reviews and see no mention of Mick Flannery on the Sunday night, was I the only one who had the time of my life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

threein99 wrote: »
    I used them once Saturday evening rather than brave the portaloos that would have been hammered all day, they smelled worse than any portaloo I was in all weekend

They were shocking.
    Stupidly overpriced, so unhygienic and the queues for those were almost worse than the regular toilets.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭xxerogravity

agree with the comments about young girls been spoilt brats

you can almost tell by the way they are dressed in the festival uniform hot pants wells and hipster t shirts with the arms cut off or something good lord it was infested with them talking non stop during gigs had a crowd of them near me for eels all giving out about how such a ****e band were on the main stage … if you don't like them **** off and watch something else and the bacardi bar was full of them

they are the epitomy of people who go to the festival to be seen there and tell there friends how amazing amazing some band they seen in the body and soul who's name they can't remember or songs the can't recall, were and how chilled out it was and nothing like oxygen

they do my fecking head in

Wrecks my buzz when they sit up on their boyfriends shoulders. Yayyy you're so free and original, waving your arms about in your blissful yet utter ignorance while you block the view of all those standing behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Highlights for me were Walkmen, Funeral suits, Chvrches, Arctics, Jagwar Ma, RSAG, 1975, Hurts were actually quite good, Robert Plant, Disclosure and somehow managed to find Rave in the woods all three nights.

Yay! Fellow Suits fan! Went a bit mental at the barrier for them. Already looking forward to their HWCH gig!

Discovered and fell in love with the 1975 too (now just have to sniff out a spare ticket to their gig at the end of the month!)
    Finkployd wrote: »
    Really surprised to read the various reviews and see no mention of Mick Flannery on the Sunday night, was I the only one who had the time of my life?

I followed him around all weekend. Saw him in the HP Chat Room, then at the Jerry Fish Stage, then in the Woods stage. Again, made an absolute muppet of myself!

What was up with the sound on the Woods stage though? Both FS and Mick Flannery started 10 mins late and all the crew had to keep pointing up at their various mikes (whatever that means in tech land). Don't know about the 1975 because I missed the start of them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Finkployd wrote: »

Thought he was boring enough to be honest. Was always going to be the case after David Byrne, one of the best gigs I've ever been to, festival or otherwise.

Before I get into the music, some thoughts on my fourth/fifth EP - security were top notch. Even if I couldn't sneak anything in I didn't mind, they were friendly and efficient.
    Not enough toilets in the campsites. Toilets in main arenas were fine actually.
    I don't know why they make us walk down the long way from Oscar Wilde and not straight in after Salty Dog like in previous years.
    More rubbish bins - I found it hard to dispose of my rubbish at times
    Shout out to the production guy who found my phone and met me and wouldn't take any money from me - "it's what we're here for". I'll pay it forward.
    Crowdwise we had a good spot in the campsite so no complaints but going on what I've read here they've cut down on the family aspect - don't do that, it keeps us some way civil and adds to the vibe.

Anyway, the music.

The Highlight: David Byrne & St. Vincent. Unbelievable gig, struggle to believe anything else would have been better all weekend, there are times when you just know you're at something at another level.

The Good:
    Dublin Gospel Choir (great band, great songs, perfect for the hangover, always worth the trip in early to catch them)
    Get Down Edits (actually the whole Bacardi Bar, they had some great stuff like A-Skillz on too)
    The Trampz (Dundalk? band, music was tight and the singer has some soul voice)
    Jerry Fish (brilliant lunacy at the End of the World Party on Sunday)
    Brónagh Gallagher (on 20 mins late but has some great songs, great band too with Conor Brady on guitar and Michael Buckley on sax as well as the rest)
    Swords (enjoyed them, perfect for afternoon electro, not too heavy. Great sound from a three piece)
    Mother DJs - just played great tunes any time I caught them

The Meh:
    Ocean Colour Scene (though I thought Jim Carroll's hatchet job on them in The Ticket was out of order).
    My Bloody Valentine (sound was shocking, vocs. non-existent)
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (we were down the back of the tent so didn't get into it really)
    Mick Flannery (don't know if he's suited to a big tent with the singer-songwriter shtick. Didn't catch him in Jerry Fish's tent but that seems like a better venue)
    Heard Noah & The Whale while queuing in the Vodafone tent, yawn. Ditto Kodaline.
    Artic Monkeys - headliners they are not, derivative rock and they seemed to be just going through the motions

The Awful
    Specially reserved for Fatboy Slim. Absolute joke of a DJ. Opening song was a cracker and then it was just build-build-build-STOP-Drop! rinse and repeat ad nauseum. At one point he used the 30 second red countdown timer thing twice in the space of three minutes. We roared laughing and left after that and stumbled across The Trampz, delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Mick Flannery was in a big tent last year. Was a bit meh (to me)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Aw no, I was really disappointed :(

His band were fantastic, but I really didn't enjoy most of the gig, got in early and had a great spot near the front but was really let down. Such a pity. The friends I was there with were very divided - some loved it and some hated it.

I got stuck in a long gate search queue after grabbing a jacket from the tent, and missed the start of the David Byrne gig. My lot were down the front, and I couldn't make it down to them without being a pushy arse, so got stuck behind a front pillar for about a third of the gig - even without seeing what was going on, I thought it was a killer performance - tight and revitalised versions of the numbers I knew, and engaging material I didn't. When I got a spot with a view it just elevated the gig - it was a really creative and considered show, that played to the audience rather than self-indulgence. Sure the band were fab, and the brass arrangements/reinterpretations refreshing, but both vocalists were right on the button too, and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Honestly couldn't fault it in any way. Left the tent on a high.

http://www.npr.org/event/music/162658552/in-practice-david-byrne-and-st-vincent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Still absolutely shattered! fell asleep on the man beside me on the train to work this morning!

Brilliant weekend, no major complaints at all.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I was dissappointed in FBS. given a stage like that, and a light show to boot, any dj could have been as good. He built up the crescendo a good few times only to bail on the pay off and at one stage you could actually hear the crowd go "aaawwww". All foreplay and no sex. I found myself wondering if this could be the same guy who was responsible for Praise You and Right Here Right Now...
    Imagine what Mother DJs (who were awesome!) could have done with that set up. The crowd would have lost their mind.

La Galaxie were terrific too, as were the Strypes. Irish bands, for me, were the surprise hits of the festival...

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Had a brilliant weekend, with loads of mad stories and memories ill never forget.

Stayed in Janis Joplin and didnt see one bit of trouble or shady characters. I was surrounded by a nice bunch of neighbours ranging from Mayo - Galway - Kildare - Waterford. Everyone was nice and friendly and all stayed up having a few scoops at night. Maddest story i heard was a couple who were grand parents both 57 years of age taking yokes and going to the rave in the woods!!! Maybe they were re-living their youths, but at that age... Fair play to them :)

Only bit of trouble i had was a fella on his own out of the head at Disclosure, he came over to one of the girls and started calling her ugly and what not. A pleasant fook off tho, and his was on his way

Security were top notch, see some people complaining about them but they are there to do their job at the end of the day

Rave in the Woods was deadly, but if your not comfortable around people out of the mallet it wouldnt be your cup of tea

First time going and wont be my last. The Hendrix site looked a bit cramped and dirt everywhere dont think that would of been my thing now. I reckon next year ill get a campervan

Thanks again to all the people in the Joplin for maiking my weekend go by without incident. See u next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

leakyboots wrote: »
    Thought he was boring enough to be honest. Was always going to be the case after David Byrne, one of the best gigs I've ever been to, festival or otherwise.

Before I get into the music, some thoughts on my fourth/fifth EP - security were top notch. Even if I couldn't sneak anything in I didn't mind, they were friendly and efficient.
    Not enough toilets in the campsites. Toilets in main arenas were fine actually.
    I don't know why they make us walk down the long way from Oscar Wilde and not straight in after Salty Dog like in previous years.
    More rubbish bins - I found it hard to dispose of my rubbish at times
    Shout out to the production guy who found my phone and met me and wouldn't take any money from me - "it's what we're here for". I'll pay it forward.
    Crowdwise we had a good spot in the campsite so no complaints but going on what I've read here they've cut down on the family aspect - don't do that, it keeps us some way civil and adds to the vibe.

Anyway, the music.

The Highlight: David Byrne & St. Vincent. Unbelievable gig, struggle to believe anything else would have been better all weekend, there are times when you just know you're at something at another level.

The Good:
    Dublin Gospel Choir (great band, great songs, perfect for the hangover, always worth the trip in early to catch them)
    Get Down Edits (actually the whole Bacardi Bar, they had some great stuff like A-Skillz on too)
    The Trampz (Dundalk? band, music was tight and the singer has some soul voice)
    Jerry Fish (brilliant lunacy at the End of the World Party on Sunday)
    Brónagh Gallagher (on 20 mins late but has some great songs, great band too with Conor Brady on guitar and Michael Buckley on sax as well as the rest)
    Swords (enjoyed them, perfect for afternoon electro, not too heavy. Great sound from a three piece)
    Mother DJs - just played great tunes any time I caught them

The Meh:
    Ocean Colour Scene (though I thought Jim Carroll's hatchet job on them in The Ticket was out of order).
    My Bloody Valentine (sound was shocking, vocs. non-existent)
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (we were down the back of the tent so didn't get into it really)
    Mick Flannery (don't know if he's suited to a big tent with the singer-songwriter shtick. Didn't catch him in Jerry Fish's tent but that seems like a better venue)
    Heard Noah & The Whale while queuing in the Vodafone tent, yawn. Ditto Kodaline.
    Artic Monkeys - headliners they are not, derivative rock and they seemed to be just going through the motions

The Awful
    Specially reserved for Fatboy Slim. Absolute joke of a DJ. Opening song was a cracker and then it was just build-build-build-STOP-Drop! rinse and repeat ad nauseum. At one point he used the 30 second red countdown timer thing twice in the space of three minutes. We roared laughing and left after that and stumbled across The Trampz, delighted.

What exactly is afternoon electro? :confused:

Electro

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Mick Flannery (don't know if he's suited to a big tent with the singer-songwriter shtick. Didn't catch him in Jerry Fish's tent but that seems like a better venue) .

He was fabulous in Jerry Fish, not because of the size though but because of the vibe. The tent wasn't big enough for the crowd, which is funny because it felt like less people came to the Sunday one. Also he was sans band at Jerry Fish, I don't think it would have worked so well in that tent if they were there.

He does manage large venues well, for example he was good at Cork's city hall this year despite the terrible sound (the building though beautiful is terrible for sound).

That stage seemed really strange to me. Maud in Cahoots seemed to fit perfectly on it but then it felt to big for Funeral Suits...or Im nuts. But then I was at the barrier for Mick and Funeral Suits and standing back for Cahoots. I think the stage was too high up. Or is that an insane thing to say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Hadn't been at a festival since Oxegen 2006 when I was 18. I thought it was very rough, even though there was a large group of us, it was hard to relax. Two of my mates were assaulted with iron bars for no reason, one of them was hospitalised and in absolute state for weeks after it. After that year I hadn't much interest in going to one again.

A few of my friends convinced me to go To EP this year, as they were there the last couple of years. Before I went I wasn't familiar with many of the bands/djs. I have to say I was not disappointed. This may sound strange but I feel as if I fell in love with music again over the weekend. Now I have to go and buy load of albums.

When we first arrived the crowd initially seemed to be a bit rougher than I was expecting. I've read a lot of comments on here about people complaining about a certain type of people that were there. The reality is it wasn't like that at all. Everyone was there for the same reason to have the craic and I thought it was a very relaxed atmosphere. Any randomers I got chatting to over the weekend were sound despite what they may have looked like. Its great to be at something like this and not be afraid to get lost, or to wander off on your own for a while as there was nothing to worry about.

When there's 35,000 people at an event like this there's always going to be a few dickheads. The only bad thing I seen was on Monday morning when there were lads walking around the campsite sticking their heads into tents that clearly didnt belong to them. One of these lads had two children with him acting as lookouts.

All in all best experience of my life so far.

theUbiq wrote: »
    What exactly is afternoon electro? :confused:

Electro

It's not anything, it's just a term I used to try and describe them.

What I meant by it is it wasn't banging electro, nice stuff to chill out to whilst sitting in the B&S bowl.

Maybe just go check out their music for yourself?

http://www.swordsband.com/

EDIT: Ambient. That's probably the word I was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

Anyone else catch a post picnic cold? Am mainlining Lemsip here. Perhaps I am getting to old to be at rave in the woods or on the dodgems until 4am each morning!

Epic picnic though. David Byrne was just fantastic, BRMC, Ben Klock, Tierannisaur, Vann Music, Bjork, Johnny Marr David O'Doherty, Le Galaxie and Mount Kimbie were outstanding. I saw the knife at another festival this year so gave it a miss but kinda regretting that now. Still the trad disco and Terry Hooleys School disco were well worth it for craic. I can safely say I was a happy camper this year even though I had my handbag ripped off me. Luckily I had all my cash and my phone in my pockets so they just got my jacket, hairbrush and dirty hankies but the fact that several strangers ran along with my mates to try to catch them outweighed the bad experience.

Also, I ddint have any problems with the kids, had lovely neighbours and met nothing but sound people - apart from the pair of scumbags that nicked by bag

Meant to add above, in spite of Casa Bacardi being brilliant all weekend, 8.50 for a mojito is a disgrace and bordering on insulting. Sort it out for next year!

Meant to add above, in spite of Casa Bacardi being brilliant all weekend, 8.50 for a mojito is a disgrace and bordering on insulting. Sort it out for next year!

I know, €17 for an oak and coke and mojito! Robbing B'Stards. Should have been wearing masks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Just spent the entire afternoon asleep on the couch

Don't rem ever feeling this bad post picnic before

Fu&k you old age

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cblack18

It was my first EP and I was working in Body and Soul. Amazing experience I would highly recommend anyone to do it!

It really irks me when people are giving out about acts like Cyril Hahn and Disclosure, saying it attracted a particular crowd. I was at both of these shows and did not see one bit of trouble. I think its a case of people not liking this particular type of music. I didn't like lots of acts at picnic but nobody forced me to go and see them.

I was in Hendrix and had no trouble. Lost my disposable camera and it was actually handed in! Very happy as I had some great photos :)

For 2014 I hope the festival stays the same size. For me it was a little too big, and this made it difficult to see acts and meet up with friends. I'd appreciate a lot more shower and toilet facilities.

The times were released too late this year and I was already at the festival working. I had no way of getting the stage times without buying a ten euro programme.

Finally, a WIFI spot would be so useful at a festival. Even if you had to pay for it. Serious niche in the market I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I almost bought a foot spa in Argos this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 bugsy1977

A big THANK YOU to the person that found my GFs handbag and phone, guards just called! it was handed in! ah there is good in the world!

Advertisement