Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

EAT - SLEEP - RAVE - REPEAT. If I heard that once more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Rfrip wrote: »
    Just spent the entire afternoon asleep on the couch

Don't rem ever feeling this bad post picnic before

Fu&k you old age

I attempted to run 3 miles this morning, had to stop half way and sit down :o totally worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

EAT - SLEEP - RAVE - REPEAT. If I heard that once more...

Haha it became a running joke in our group, we wouldn't be the biggest Fat boy fans to put it mildly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Yes, definitely a change in the crowd/atmoshere this year. There were a lot of nasty young spoilt girls at it, slagging people off behind their backs and being too drunk to string a sentence together. Not something I ever noticed before there. There was also a noticeable increase in people with a total lack of consideration for others like DeVore mentioned. Lots of shoving and pushing going on, almost like they had more of a right to get where they were going. Still and all - great weekend.

I did here of people being kicked out for selling drugs in the Oscar Wilde campsite. My friends were mostly camped in Jimmi Hendrix and had no hassle at all. I camped in Pink Moon and it is just so well worth the extra hundred quid each, I will definitely be doing it again next year.

Highlight for me were Le Galaxie - I knew they would be, and couldn't wait for them. Arctic Monkeys were just class. I liked them but wouldn't have been a huge fan, definitely blew me away. Ellie Goulding was excellent, again - not someone who I would have been a fan of before. Fatboy slim I thought was brilliant!

I was let down by Robert Plant tbh. Was so looking forward to him and I found him a bit meh. David Byrne was awful and I missed the Eels because of him :(

Actually missed quite a few that I wanted to see but sure no big deal, I had a great time regardless!

Any reason why? Would be interested to know what you thought was so bad about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

didn't realise Le Galaxie were that popular. Remember interviewing them for a radio show a few years back. Raging I didn't go now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

seachto7 wrote: »
    didn't realise Le Galaxie were that popular. Remember interviewing them for a radio show a few years back. Raging I didn't go now. :(

It's strange because they played a free gig in Carlow a few months back and noone was interested in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Dunno about the rest of the country but Le Galaxie are fairly well established in Dublin over the last 2 years. Sure they headlined the third stage in Forbidden Fruit on the Saturday.

Well, being based in Limerick, a good smattering of bands on the EP bill would have passed through Limerick or nearby in the last year. Woeful crowds going to see original music in Limerick at the moment. I don't know is it a case of a festival like EP spoon feeding people new music they wouldn't normally get to listen to? (a good thing if it makes them go out and see gigs in smaller venues during the year)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

It was my first EP and I was completely blown away- absolutely fantastic event, will definitely go back next year. Everything just seemed so well organised and the people were so nice from what I experienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

My 8th picnic and as always had a blast- although I did b&b it this year so can't make any comments on campsites. Did notice there seemed (in my thirty something eyes at least) that the average age has dropped by a few years. Never saw as many people around the 18-20 yrs age but didn't really notice any change in type of festival goer. Everyone seemed up for the music and craic and saw no hassle maybe because I wasn't in camping?

Personal highlights were Disclosure, Little Green Cars, the knife and was pleasantly surprised at Ellie goulding. Think body and soul was brilliantly set up this year. Loved the seats near main stage and never queue loos beside them. Came in handy by the Sunday night for monkeys when I was hardly able to stand was so tired.

Was also at longitude this year which was a good set up too but tbh didn't beat the picnic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I dunno why people are whinging about the Arctic Monkeys not being a headlining band, they've headlined Glastonbury twice and have been headlining festivals all over Europe for the whole summer. I thought they were great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Toast wrote: »
    Dunno about the rest of the country but Le Galaxie are fairly well established in Dublin over the last 2 years. Sure they headlined the third stage in Forbidden Fruit on the Saturday.
    Sold out the Button Factory on Paddys Day this year, and headlined the Little Big Tent at EP last year too. Great to see them doing well, they put on a fantastic live show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I went on a quick evening flight over the EP site this evening - place is remarkably clean already. Have a vid if anyone is interested? I just need to get it off the chap I was with (he has a snazzy iPhone!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Sold out the Button Factory on Paddys Day this year, and headlined the Little Big Tent at EP last year too. Great to see them doing well, they put on a fantastic live show.

Le Galaxie are playing in meeting house square, saturday week. Its their last irish gig of the year I think. All in 3D. Should be great craic and no better way to ease those post Picnic Blues!

http://www.fringefest.com/programme/mother-presents-le-galaxie-en-3d

Off topic question, but anyone know how much bands get paid for playing at the EP? Obviously not all bands get paid, but they say the money is in touring these days. Maybe not so at a festival....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Off topic question, but anyone know how much bands get paid for playing at the EP? Obviously not all bands get paid, but they say the money is in touring these days. Maybe not so at a festival....?

I'd imagine any bands playing before about 4-5pm might not be getting paid at all and those on the smaller stages like the salty dog might not get anything either. Just guessing really but from previous experiences playing with a few bands there, that often seems to be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Sky King wrote: »
    I went on a quick evening flight over the EP site this evening - place is remarkably clean already. Have a vid if anyone is interested? I just need to get it off the chap I was with (he has a snazzy iPhone!!).

Nice, yes post the video if you can please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Does anyone know what the story is with early bird tickets or when and where they usually go on sale?

Sky King wrote: »

please do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

leakyboots wrote: »
    .... and stumbled across The Trampz, delighted.

Ha ha was there myself, great gig!! Randomers up on stage, topless guy getting thrown off by the lead singer + guy dressed as batman!

Found this on YouTube, great alternative to fatboy slim.

http://youtu.be/-Kazreb2EU8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

SV wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is with early bird tickets or when and where they usually go on sale?

They'll be sold via ticketmaster. There really is no usual date as it was about half a year out last year and the year before it was delayed a couple of months from the year before that too.

Melvin Benn said something to imply that they were going on sale much sooner this year (possibly within the next couple of weeks). No doubt he wants to get the money people who didn't get a ticket this year had set aside before they go spend it on something else.

It won't happen without a little warning via the EP twitter/facebook and that'll get rebroadcast by the usual sources (including here).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

The Killers got 500,000 last year. Squarepusher got 18,000 (1hr headlining the Electric Arena), Paul Buchanan got 22,000 for an hour on Body&Soul main stage on Sunday night. LAPD got 12k, and played the hour before Buchanan on B&S main stage too.
    a friend's band played one of the really small stages (think it was the Oxjam or Pubail Gaeilge) during the afternoon a few years ago and got a few hundred from what i remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Did any of ye try cycling the two wheel death traps? I managed one of them.

There was another that the pedals were six foot of the ground:eek:.

Loads of fun, but effing dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Did any of ye try cycling the two wheel death traps? I managed one of them.

There was another that the pedals were six foot of the ground:eek:.

Loads of fun, but effing dangerous.

Great name for a band!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭xxerogravity

The Killers got 500,000 last year. Squarepusher got 18,000 (1hr headlining the Electric Arena), Paul Buchanan got 22,000 for an hour on Body&Soul main stage on Sunday night. LAPD got 12k, and played the hour before Buchanan on B&S main stage too.
    a friend's band played one of the really small stages (think it was the Oxjam or Pubail Gaeilge) during the afternoon a few years ago and got a few hundred from what i remember.

That's obscene. I left that gig after 10 minutes and went to one of the tents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Not really when you consider how many tickets headliners sell. Plus, I'd imagine their production costs are huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Rfrip

They would have had to pay me 500,000 to listen to them that night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Anyone else glad Michael didn't get into electric picnic

Rfrip wrote: »
    They would have had to pay me 500,000 to listen to them that night

Fair enough the point the poster makes about selling tickets. But what I saw of that gig was just awful. The performance was completely lacklustre, and the songs sounded exactly the same as they do on their recorded versions - no live mix up or any variation. Talk about going through the motions. Glad I got out of there and went to the tents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Fair enough the point the poster makes about selling tickets. But what I saw of that gig was just awful. The performance was completely lacklustre, and the songs sounded exactly the same as they do on their recorded versions - no live mix up or any variation. Talk about going through the motions. Glad I got out of there and went to the tents.

Oh completely!!

• Advertisement

slaneylad wrote: »
    Anyone else glad Michael didn't get into electric picnic

He's annoyed he couldn't sneak in. Even more impressed with security now.

One of them told me they had a a few dog units operating in the woods. Dont know if that's true.

Advertisement