Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

I think a lot of the "picnic is losing its soul maaan " gang on here are prob just getting old. Its never gonna be as good as the first time lads, all downhill from here, and thats not just for festivals.
    Never been to one of these big festivals, still pretty tempted to try this or Glasto just to see if i'm missing anything. I dont drink anymore which is a bit of a turnoff though. dis go to sea sessions this year and had a woeful time,but thats a different kettle of fish i suppose,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

There was a canine unit. When we were leaving on Sunday night at about 11.30pm out through soul kids, all the security staff were on high alert. We saw guys trying to jump the wall at that late stage, and a really nice staff member said they had a nightmare day.

20 lads in waders tried their luck, carted off in a garda van. Also, a guy crawled through the sewerage pipe, and got caught at the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

slaneylad wrote: »
    Anyone else glad Michael didn't get into electric picnic

What the f**k is wrong with him!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Anyone have the setlist from the Walkmen gig?

Trying to piece together the songs they played. Remember they played the majority of my favourites though.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Fatfrog wrote: »
    What the f**k is wrong with him!!???

why would someone even upload this to youtube. it was either him or one of the girls in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

slaneylad wrote: »
    why would someone even upload this to youtube. it was either him or one of the girls in the car.

I liked the beginning of his rant - the yanks couldn't even get in there, even if there was oil in there... they have snipers and everything.

Nice tantrum - although why you would show it to the world I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

LaGlisse wrote: »
    I think a lot of the "picnic is losing its soul maaan " gang on here are prob just getting old. Its never gonna be as good as the first time lads, all downhill from here, and thats not just for festivals.
    not really, i first went in 2005 and 2012 was the best year i've gone, better than all before it, including my first one in 2005.
    i thought 2009 was pretty bad, but 2010, 2011 and especially 2012 were much better. this year was on par with 2009, definitely one of the worst years IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mouzone

Sixth picnic and would'nt say it was any better or worse then previous years. Saw loads of bands I wanted to see, missed a few I also wanted to see. Loved Bjork, Johnny Marr, Parquet Courts, The Walkmen and everything I saw and heard in B&S.
    Well worth the €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

sadie06 wrote: »
    There was a canine unit. When we were leaving on Sunday night at about 11.30pm out through soul kids, all the security staff were on high alert. We saw guys trying to jump the wall at that late stage, and a really nice staff member said they had a nightmare day.

20 lads in waders tried their luck, carted off in a garda van. Also, a guy crawled through the sewerage pipe, and got caught at the other side.

Wow I can believe people would go to this extent? Were they giving free BJ's on the other side?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Toast

It's a plot of an episode of Trailer Park Boys which makes me wonder if it was a joke or rumour that got upgraded to fact after going around a few people. Seems like the sort of thing the tabloids would love to have reported on (not that being fact would be necessary for that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Toast wrote: »
    It's a plot of an episode of Trailer Park Boys which makes me wonder if it was a joke or rumour that got upgraded to fact after going around a few people. Seems like the sort of thing the tabloids would love to have reported on (not that being fact would be necessary for that).

Awesome episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Never been to one of these big festivals, still pretty tempted to try this or Glasto just to see if i'm missing anything. I dont drink anymore which is a bit of a turnoff though. dis go to sea sessions this year and had a woeful time,but thats a different kettle of fish i suppose,

I do think a lot of people are getting slightly older ;). It's just maybe the festival has become a bit more mainstream now that Oxygen has been turned into a pop/Dance festival. EP isn't the arty music festival it once was, you can see in the last two years they are sneaking in more commercial acts. You can read on here some people don't like it some do. I don't mind I loved the Arctic Monkeys as well as Bjork, I need a mixture of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Nail on head. People are even begrudging the next festival before it's even been announced!

Looper007 wrote: »
    I do think a lot of people are getting slightly older ;). It's just maybe the festival has become a bit more mainstream now that Oxygen has been turned into a pop/Dance festival. EP isn't the arty music festival it once was, you can see in the last two years they are sneaking in more commercial acts. You can read on here some people don't like it some do. I don't mind I loved the Arctic Monkeys as well as Bjork, I need a mixture of both.

The arty element has been expanded if anything, areas like Mindfield and b+s could have been festivals in their own right this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nechtan

Thought EP was pretty good overall this year.

Lineup was probably the weakest yet in my opinion but it was never really all about the lineup.

I think the rough element has been there for a while (my group's tents were slashed and ransacked as far back as 2006). Widespread stealing in the campsite has been heppening for years.

I think it's pretty pointless complaining that the festival is getting a bit younger, this just had to happen as less and less of the older crowd were returning every year and the festival can't survive without patrons. The target demographic always seemed to be people that want to have a good time, regardless of their age. The only change for me this year was that the lineup had less emphasis on electronic and dance music than previous years.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes from here. There will surely be an extremely limited number of early birds next year if/when they go on sale. Hopefully the sellout and confirmation that it's definitely happening next year will mean they can attract a great lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Catmologen wrote: »
    The arty element has been expanded if anything, areas like Mindfield and b+s could have been festivals in their own right this year.

B&S has been a stand alone festival for a while now (including this year).
    EP is slowly losing it's charm. It's still good, but not what it was. Not everybody who's saying this can be wrong.

EP is slowly losing it's charm. It's still good, but not what it was.

How exactly is it though? Perhaps it means less to you than it once did? People have been saying this since the first ep.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

How exactly is it though? Perhaps it means less to you than it once did? People have been saying this since day one of ep.

there is a rough element gradually creeping into in in many peoples opinions, and its moving away from a boutique festival into alot more of a mainstream festival, which isnt exactly a bad thing but its certainly changing from what it was the first number of years. Many of the older goers who remember what it was are a little disillusioned by this and would rather it reverted back. I suppose its hard to keep it as it once was, the promotors need to service the biggest demograph, not the original demograph

there is a rough element gradually creeping into in in many peoples opinions, and its moving away from a boutique festival into alot more of a mainstream festival, which isnt exactly a bad thing but its certainly changing from what it was the first number of years. Many of the older goers who remember what it was are a little disillusioned by this and would rather it reverted back. I suppose its hard to keep it as it once was, the promotors need to service the biggest demograph, not the original demograph

I've been at all the camping eps bar 2012 and there's always been a small rough element. 2013 was one of the best years yet, I say embrace the change and stop moaning about how things were better in the past.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I say embrace the change and stop moaning about how things were better in the past.

Well thats all well and good provided you are still enjoying it, i think the issue people have is the change has put them off the festival in future, which is unfortunate and sadly not alot can be done, unless of course the promotors listen to these issues and maybe revert back to what it once was. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, saying they should suck it up is a little dismissive. Different strokes and what not.

Personally I think its changed, for the worse from my perspective, but I see this year ahead of anyothers seems to have been a great festival for many, and aside from the howiya element increasing, and associated issues, I really enjoyed it. Hopefully the only way is up for it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭leakyboots

B&S has been a stand alone festival for a while now (including this year).
    EP is slowly losing it's charm. It's still good, but not what it was. Not everybody who's saying this can be wrong.

I've been to four or five (can't remember, going since 2006) and our group maintained this was the best year yet.

I think it's down to the person's own experience. If you're near bad neighbours, get your tent ransacked, lose your phone etc.. it'll put a dampener on your weekend.

We hadn't any of the above so have only happy memories of it. For what it's worth I didn't think it was a younger crowd that previous years, I actually thought it was older. No where near as many children knocking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

7th Picnic for me, been going since i was 20. Guess I'd have been considered one of the younger crowd when I first started going. Now I'm one of the oldies:(:(

I wouldn't draw any parallels between the younger crowd and the knob crowd I found prevalent Sunday eve/night... They were knobs and just that.

I think having acts like Disclosure (who I enjoyed) and Arctic Monkeys (who I didnt enjoy) are playing a part in bringing in new blood to the festival. EP needs a new generation of festival goers to step up and fill the gap left by those who have grown out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭kwat

Sky King wrote: »
    I went on a quick evening flight over the EP site this evening - place is remarkably clean already. Have a vid if anyone is interested? I just need to get it off the chap I was with (he has a snazzy iPhone!!).

Yes please post if you can!

Well thats all well and good provided you are still enjoying it, i think the issue people have is the change has put them off the festival in future, which is unfortunate and sadly not alot can be done, unless of course the promotors listen to these issues and maybe revert back to what it once was. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, saying they should suck it up is a little dismissive. Different strokes and what not.

Personally I think its changed, for the worse from my perspective, but I see this year ahead of anyothers seems to have been a great festival for many, and aside from the howiya element increasing, and associated issues, I really enjoyed it. Hopefully the only way is up for it now

Fair enough, but I'm just trying to figure out why people don't like it as much now. I think it's just to do with the mainstream headliners. That's the only reason that makes any sense of the ones given. It's not a problem for me as I just avoid them. I just think it's odd that this would put people off such a good festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It's so bizarre how acceptable this attitude is in middle-class Ireland. It's like someone complaining there were too many cockneys at Glasto.

If you have evidence of anything above the 0.01% troublesome element that attend every major gig or event in Ireland, in line with Garda figures, then fair enough, but it smacks of hearing an accent and turning into Hyacinth Bouquet.

I went to the first few and the festival was tiny in comparison, and the only thing that sticks out well was there being a cool Jack Daniels tent where I saw De La Soul play.

EP has evolved, where once it was the only festival in Ireland apart from Oxegen, now there are literally hundreds. I've been to plenty from FF to Westport to Life to No Place Like Dome and it still trumps the rest pretty much every year on the balance of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

How exactly is it though? Perhaps it means less to you than it once did? People have been saying this since the first ep.
    Yea, you didn't quote the last part of that sentence "EP is slowly losing it's charm. It's still good, but not what it was. Not everybody who's saying this can be wrong"
    Listen, our group have great fun down there every year, and there was zero trouble that i saw but my point still stands.
    melekalikimaka gets his point accross better than me tbh.

I might try something different next year.
    Maybe i'll join a hippie commune or something, because if you don't think the 'vibe' or charm is the same, you've gotta be a hippie, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I just think it's odd that this would put people off such a good festival.

The more mainstream the acts the more brainless twats end up at the festival. Sure, they'll sell all the tickets... but they're selling a lot of those tickets to unmoderated morons who only want to get fùcked up in the campsite, see the headliners and then piss off to the forest for (more) yokes.

You can avoid the acts all weekend but you can't avoid the twats, the boyos and the beors.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

7th Picnic for me, been going since i was 20. Guess I'd have been considered one of the younger crowd when I first started going. Now I'm one of the oldies:(:(

I wouldn't draw any parallels between the younger crowd and the knob crowd I found prevalent Sunday eve/night... They were knobs and just that.

It's really annoying when people do that! (I'm 23). The three people that made me uncomfortable all weekend were well into their 30s!

One guy approached us in the Salty Dog and was so off his face he was twitching and jerking about before cheerily announcing he was off to cut himself.

Another lady was twitching around with no sense of personal space and a bit of a growl in the Oxjam tent.

Finally, I had one jerk approach me as I was leaving The Knife (I was by myself) and ask: Right so darling where are *we* going? When I looked at him and firmly said nowhere I got a tirade of abuse for being so 'anti social'.

My family having run a bar for nearly 10 years, this was water off a duck's back to me and in no way negatively impacted my weekend but getting rid of the 20-somethings isn't going to get rid of the dolts! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

2ndcoming wrote: »
    It's so bizarre how acceptable this attitude is in middle-class Ireland. It's like someone complaining there were too many cockneys at Glasto.

Nah - the boogiemen of Glastonbury are Scousers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sdgbt

2ndcoming wrote: »

If you have evidence of anything above the 0.01% troublesome element that attend every major gig or event in Ireland, in line with Garda figures, then fair enough, but it smacks of hearing an accent and turning into Hyacinth Bouquet

Couldn't agree more! The use of the term "howiya" jumped out at me.
    aside from the howiya element increasing, and associated issues

Advertisement