Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

lordgoat wrote: »
    Meh I hear its an IMMA gig.
    Phantom just announced Ennio Morricone for there on July 28th.
    hope there's still a Monday announcement too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

In fairness there is a lot of great gigs this year...my problem is i want them to all play at electric picnic. Lot of acts at longitude, frank ocean n haim at the killers gug(wouldn't walk across the road for the killers) solange at body and soul

Hee hee solange went to silage on predictive text😄

Bowlardo wrote: »
    The reason they are held in such high esteem is that live set is amazing and the show is unreal.
    an amazing show to me isn't an almost 100% pre-recorded set, a light show and some novelty helmets.
    i would much prefer to see them in 1997 than the OTT disneyland set of today.

maybe their new album won't be as awful as Human After All, and the new live show won't be 2 guys who may or may not be Daft Punk, pretending to perform live on stage with lasers and lights for the "whoomp there it is" crowd.
    they could put Daft Funk on the main stage at EP for a fraction of the price and 99% of the crowd would know no different.

if they were at EP, i'd still enjoy it at the time, but i'd prefer the massive amount of money they cost be spent on many other things instead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

John Reynolds on Radio1 now, says he hopes and thinks it will go ahead, although "too many chefs may spoil the broth".
    really just what we already now, it's up to the different management companies/owners sort out their issues. definitely not off yet....

Seems highly unlikely that they'll have any news by the end of this month in that case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

an amazing show to me isn't an almost 100% pre-recorded set, a light show and some novelty helmets.
    i would much prefer to see them in 1997 than the OTT disneyland set of today.

maybe their new album won't be as awful as Human After All, and the new live show won't be 2 guys who may or may not be Daft Punk, pretending to perform live on stage with lasers and lights for the "whoomp there it is" crowd.
    they could put Daft Funk on the main stage at EP for a fraction of the price and 99% of the crowd would know no different.

if they were at EP, i'd still enjoy it at the time, but i'd prefer the massive amount of money they cost be spent on many other things instead of them.

Well they wont be there so chill winston!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

I can't see Daft Punk playing at this. I'm the same as a lot, i don't really want them there. It will cost them an absolute fortune to get them, money that could get used to get a lot more good acts. Plus, since the whole world is in the Daft Club now, they'd sell out anywhere anytime. That Alive tour was one of the best things i ever witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Fight Like Apes and Nine Inch Nails, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Why do people keep mentioning Daft Punk? They're definitely not touring this year, and if they do decide to put on a show it definitely won't be at Electric Picnic.

http://www.nme.com/news/daft-punk/67989

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Fight Like Apes and Nine Inch Nails, please?

They were great at Oxegen a few years a go. They'd really suit the Picnic.

Pet Shop Boys are touring as well and Suede, although I think Suede are playing Belsonic in August.

All the glory to EP if it bags NIN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Nicolas Jaar would be a nice addition to the line up, I saw a bit of his set last year at Liss Ard Festival in Skibbereen, Cork. He does a nice ambient techno style more in a kinda downbeat with some pleasant keys, hes accompanied by a guitarist doing really nice slide guitar similar in vein to David Gilmour from Pink Floyd and a saxophonist. A really nice after hours buzz that would go down nice in the Body & Soul area.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

I don't think NIN intend touring again. That was the thing about Oxygen the year they played, last real chance to see them Oxygen actually had an amazing line up that year. Sorry I didn't go.

(until the reunion at least...)

The Killers ruin everything.

Is it fairly safe to assume that there won't be an announcement this month as promised?

Mr.S wrote: »
    Nobody knows is the best answer to be honest.

The latest is seems is that vendors etc have been told its going ahead and haven't been told anything that would suggest its not, this could be the promoters planning ahead to be safe though so could go either way. There seems to be "management problems" within the promoters company(s) due to a restructure which is apparently delaying things being announced.

There could be an announcement in the morning, or it could never come. Cross your fingers and hope for the best!

Yeah there seems to be a load of uncertainty.. Think they'd at least have to give some announcement if there's no info by the 31st. Don't see people staying loyal for too much longer - days off have to be booked for work, plenty of other festivals abroad and here that people could choose to go to instead.

I know they'd come out and say it's cancelled if it was but the lack of info, tickets etc. is worrying. As in if the organiser was on radio saying he hopes it goes ahead why don't they update the FB page, twitter, and website saying something to that effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

Mr.S wrote: »
    Nobody knows is the best answer to be honest.

The latest is seems is that vendors etc have been told its going ahead and haven't been told anything that would suggest its not, this could be the promoters planning ahead to be safe though so could go either way. There seems to be "management problems" within the promoters company(s) due to a restructure which is apparently delaying things being announced.

There could be an announcement in the morning, or it could never come. Cross your fingers and hope for the best!

PS: Don't listen to people who claim to be in the "industry" and have inside info because...

Yet on a lovely thread labeled "Yokes E Ecstacy MDMA"

:rolleyes:

I don't see the contradiction. I get heads up on all events a long time before other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭The Guardian

John Reynolds was on rte on saturday morning
    pretty much said it wasnt going ahead
    didnt confirm - but this ship has sailed
    he knows it
    would be suicidal to launch it now unless they had an unreal line up confirmed

he knows it

What's an unreal lineup though? As in better than other years or better than the line-up at other Irish festivals?

Only new one this summer seems to be Longtitude and not sure many of those bands would play EP anyways. Can see it being scaled back to a 2 day festival.

he knows it
    i disagree, i thought he sounded more positive about it happening than negative.

i disagree, i thought he sounded more positive about it happening than negative.

Thought it was 50/50 myself. He did say something about ''too many cooks spoiling the broth''.. Presumed he was referring to all the other Irish festivals at first but maybe he was on about the different organisers of EP..

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Thought it was 50/50 myself. He did say something about ''too many cooks spoiling the broth''.. Presumed he was referring to all the other Irish festivals at first but maybe he was on about the different organisers of EP..
    i thought it was this, as it fits in with what people like Jim Carroll have been saying about the management issues basically holding the whole thing back.

here's exactly what he said. it's probably on the RTE player too if people want to listen to it, although most of it was just about his life/businesses:
    http://www.hotpress.com/news/Electric-Picnic-No-Announcement-Yet/9674192.html?new_layout=1
    Electric Picnic: No Announcement Yet

"I believe it will happen," says festival founder. The apparent uncertainty surrounding this year's Electric Picnic appeared to move a little bit closer to resolution today.

While clearly no announcement is in the immediate offing, POD Concerts supremo John Reynolds, who was Festival Director since the inception of Electric Picnic, was positive, if somewhat cryptic, this morning, when quizzed on RTÉ Radio 1’s Marian Finucane Show as to whether there will be an Electric Picnic this year.

“Hopefully,” he said. “I hope it happens. I believe it will happen."

Tickets for the festival would normally have been on sale by this stage of the year – but not in 2013 as of yet.

"Let’s just say at the moment there’s probably too many chefs going to spoil the broth," he added, before repeating: "Let’s hope it will happen, yes.”

In the course of a wide-ranging interview, Reynolds acknowledged that Picnic decision-making is no longer solely down to him.

“Through a number of investments and also other music festivals that didn’t work for me, I had to sell a majority share of it,” he told Marian Finucane. “There are other parties. So, yeah, we’ve got to work through and make sure it happens this year.”

Partners in Electric Picnic include the UK-based Festival Republic and Ireland's MCD, who are co-owners of Festival Republic with Live Nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Phantom says big gig announcement coming on Monday morning that will "definitely" sell-out and will "definitely" not be The Killers (again).

So was this Devendra Banhart or Azealia Banks or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Toast wrote: »
    So was this Devendra Banhart or Azealia Banks or something else?

I think Azelia Banks, although admittedly, I wasn't listening.

Someone on the Facebook page has put up that he heard from a decent source that its being scaled back to 12k with no body and soul.
    I don't think I'd actually go if there was no body and soul. That's where all the magic is! Anyone think this kinda rumour cud be true or complete horse****e

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rastadoyle

i cant take anymore of this....

I know...announce something for the love of lord

• Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Maybe we should have a whiparound, start an EP fund so that we can have the normal big Picnic :pac::pac::D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Just out of curiosity like this post if you think EP will happen in some shape or form.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Or like this one if you think it won't be on at all.

I'm in the no EP camp.

Advertisement