Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Nobody is saying young ppl are scumbags, and you do some of the mouldiest duurty scummers >25 but few and far between.
    Soundest couple, 22 year olds camped beside me. They just 'got it' it wasn't something age or wisdom thought them!

For me the EP has always been an escape from reality, get away from some of the twats I have to put up in 'real life' it's slowly eroding, but why should it! They'll end up completely ruining the EP just like they did with Oxegen!

Please somebody create a twat deflector festival! Save the EP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Still not back in reality yet for me... Still trying to get over the weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Fatfrog wrote: »

Please somebody create a twat deflector festival! Save the EP

Maybe this is what the Body & Soul or Castlepalooza festival will turn into, the new EP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I realise it is ironic but I'd really like those who are accusing people of "pretentionness" (sic) to use google/spellcheck/a dictionary.

I actually did spellcheck that and forgot to change it then. No worries, thanks for pointing it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭ponceprhea

Look, stop going on about not hearing the vocals when My Bloody Valentine were playing.

Its called shoe gazing music and was part of the the original indie sound.

That is how they always sound, check out the cds,vinyl, download, torrent whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

ponceprhea wrote: »
    Look, stop going on about not hearing the vocals when My Bloody Valentine were playing.

That is how they sound, check out the cds,vinyl, download, torrent whatever.

If you can't differentiate between a low vocal mix, and the muddy dirge (complete with drop-outs) that we had to endure on Friday, then I don't know what to say to you. They sounded completely different last time they played EP (complete with low mix vocals in a wall of sound).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭ponceprhea

alastair wrote: »
    If you can't differentiate between a low vocal mix, and the muddy dirge (complete with drop-outs) that we had to endure on Friday, then I don't know what to say to you. They sounded completely different last time they played EP (complete with low mix vocals in a wall of sound).

You have it right,that is how they sound, low vocal mix,but wasn't muddy at all, where were you standing?
    It was fine where i was, near the speakers half way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

You have it right,that is how they sound, low vocal mix,but wasn't muddy at all, where were you standing?
    It was fine where i was, near the speakers half way back.

I was in front of the sound desk. It was awful - and not in a subjective fashion - just plain awful, once more than three feeds were running through. All you could really define in Soon was the rhythm section - which kinda ruins the whole shoe-gaze repeated/layered guitar motifs thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Robyn_14

Only just found the energy to write...been in a heap all week and I've had the week off!each year this festival is different for me,but each September I just can't wait for the next one...this year was no different. A laugh through out and no rain...David Byrne was definitely a highlight...but overall just going there with good friends and getting up first thing to a beer and tales of the night before is second to none and always seems to be the way of the picnic for me. Til next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

He's annoyed he couldn't sneak in. Even more impressed with security now.

One of them told me they had a a few dog units operating in the woods. Dont know if that's true.

Seen the dog unit on Sunday, at the entrance that lead to salty dog/trenchtown area.

Thought security did a good job too, no idiots on power trips, just did their job and were friendly. Seemed to be a heavy enough garda presence too, both uniformed and plain clothes.

Didn't see any trouble what so ever, atmosphere was great all weekend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭haveabanana

thunderdog wrote: »
    With regards to the issue with the programmes...can you not just print off a few copies of clashfinder before you leave? Thats what I usually do...or save it to my phone

That clashfinder yoke wasn't completely accurate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭xxerogravity

alastair wrote: »
    I was in front of the sound desk. It was awful - and not in a subjective fashion - just plain awful, once more than three feeds were running through. All you could really define in Soon was the rhythm section - which kinda ruins the whole shoe-gaze repeated/layered guitar motifs thing.

Worst sound I've ever heard at a gig. And that includes bands Ive seen in dingy pubs over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I realise it is ironic but I'd really like those who are accusing people of "pretentionness" (sic) to use google/spellcheck/a dictionary.

Worth noting they both spelt it wrong in the last two pages

• Registered Users Posts: 18 am777

Overall, a great 10th EP! Lots of brilliant performances and a rain free weekend! However, I feel that the younger, rougher crowd in attendance this year needs to be addressed before next year's picnic. I agree that it is completely unfair to brand all of the younger crowd as 'scumbags' and the sole cause of any trouble over the weekend, but as a Stradbally resident, the picnic brought quite a different crowd to the town this year. I think that by returning the ticket price to that of previous years as well as really stepping up in terms of id checks, the massive crowd of UNDER 18s could be massively reduced. It would be a shame to lose the regular ep goers and what is at the heart of the ep dynamic in favour of a very young and troublesome crowd, turning electric picnic into yet another run of the mill generic music festival!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Is this four days post picnic and the stuff I am telling people about - are the death-trap bikes, washing machine maze, Mr Motivator, hot tubs, inflatable church, some of the food stalls, Trenchtown, the light show of the rave in the woods and finally the only bands I am talking about are Strypes & The Knife.

I think the picnic has lost none of its magic.

*oh and our wedding photos got sent through to me last night ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Its called shoe gazing music and was part of the the original indie sound.

That is how they always sound, check out the cds,vinyl, download, torrent whatever.

Yep, the whole point of shoegaze is the vocals are unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭jimosterberg

The MBV gig really seemed to divide people. I loved it and it sounded great from where I was. A lad I was with is a sound engineer and he loved it. I talked to some people who preferred it to the last time they played and some people who didn't like the gig at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Worst sound I've ever heard at a gig. And that includes bands Ive seen in dingy pubs over the years.

It was a massive stage though, you could have just moved to where the sound was better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭xxerogravity

Catmologen wrote: »
    It was a massive stage though, you could have just moved to where the sound was better.

Why was that not an issue with any other band all weekend on the main stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

i never said anything about not charging for a program :confused:

pretty much very festival going officially releases times beforehand.

Life Festival
    Forbidden Fruit
    Body & Soul
    Sea Sessions
    Longitude
    Oxegen
    Indiependence
    Castlepalooza

all Irish festivals which released their times prior to the weekend.

you printed unofficial copies of the times which, if done from clashfinder, were incomplete and had mistakes.
    there were no official times released, and certainly no complete times for stages.
    The Ticket wasn't available on Friday, and didn't have most stages listed on it for the 2 days that it was available.

why are you defending them treating customers like sh1t and not doing something that would have been very simple that they did in previous years, and seemingly only didn't bother to do this year because of greed? :confused:
    every other festival releases the times. EP didn't to make money off people.

I really think you are getting carried away, its not the greatest injustice ever. The 150 quid ticket and 97% accurate free clashfinder timetables more than made up for it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

Anyone have Ben Klocks setlist or any footage of his set? Was in the form of my life Friday night, want to try and jog a few memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Shout Dust wrote: »
    Anyone have Ben Klocks setlist or any footage of his set? Was in the form of my life Friday night, want to try and jog a few memories :)

I took these on Friday. enjoy :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Wrecks my buzz when they sit up on their boyfriends shoulders. Yayyy you're so free and original, waving your arms about in your blissful yet utter ignorance while you block the view of all those standing behind you.

Jaysus Id thank you twice if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

for me, it wasn't about a younger crowd, or more "scumbags" or people there for a particular type of music or band. there was just a larger amount of arseholes this year. the type who just go to EP because it's the "done thing" and spend most of the day drinking in the campsite, hang around the Bacardi Bar for most of the evening, maybe see 1 or 2 main stage acts, then back to the campsite acting like gimps.

the festival itself cut back on the Friday music. there just seemed to be more tacky stuff in general all around the place. cutting back on general facilities like toilets and security checkers meant long queues. the fact that it was sold out and there were way more people didn't help matters. trying to screw people into buying programs (which would have been printed a week before the festival) yet not releasing the times like previous years was a dick-ish move too.

i can't think of anything this year that made it better than last year. i can think of several things that made it worse.

The weather??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

The weather??:D

the weather was savage last year as well tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

@bodhrandude thanks a million for posting those videos of Ben Klock, jaysus I can hear more of the tracks in those videos than I could at the actual gig.

I was left to the stage, and well left and to be honest people were just all chatting so much I couldn't make out the tracks, all I could hear was boom boom boom (nothing wrong with that mind), I felt you needed to squeeze your way all the way down to the front of the speakers in order to properly hear each track properly.

I actually thought the stage at the Rave in the Woods was way better this year than last year so credit to those involved, I was delighted to see they scrapped the over-use of the strobe light in favour of those very cool laser lights, the effect on the trees was amazing.

I must google his setlist for that night, it's the best way to discover new tracks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

Anyone else just coming around to 100% after Electric Picnic? I have been ill all week. It was still worth it tho.

• Advertisement

Advertisement