Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Anyone else just coming around to 100% after Electric Picnic? I have been ill all week. It was still worth it tho.

I'm only feeling ok today to be honest. I must have picked up a bug or something cos I'm usually grand by the weds!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

Rfrip wrote: »
    I'm only feeling ok today to be honest. I must have picked up a bug or something cos I'm usually grand by the weds!!!

The same here, I still have a head cold which is nothing really but the stomach bug has knocked me for six.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Anyone else just coming around to 100% after Electric Picnic? I have been ill all week. It was still worth it tho.

I have a SERIOUS dose of Festival Flu. I over slept for the first time in my life today - that's when I know it's bad. (I've not bothered getting up before but to actually oversleep in ignorance is a first for me :eek:)

And my house mate hates sniffling so my head is done in with constant cries of - 'Will you ever take out your nose ring and blow your nose properly?!'

No I will goddamn not, it's a goddamn sniffle, get over it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

I normally think pyrotechnics to come across a bit cheesy, but when i saw them at Bjork's set I was seriously riled up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 britie

So here is my two pence worth, ageing Dad arrived Friday with 10 year old, wife and 5 year old arrived later in the afternoon, 5th picnic attending as a family.
    Stayed in family camping area, fantastic as always. quick in to set up, security top notch, I can put up with the numerous id checks to get in and out of the camping area. Kids soul disappointing, vendors seem to have been given little confirmation of attendance and as a result did not have the arty visually stimulating lay out as previous years.

As a result of the poor line up was expecting to see more areas we had not previously spent much time in ie comedy tent, mindfield, global green but weekend flew by. Friday bands were poor, Sat in the stands (great idea as were the 2 screens beside the stage) for MBV who were great, pity the excellent fireworks were not held on the Sat/Sun. Most of the evening spent around B&S and Trailer park. FBS as a head liner was a joke. showed no imagination and who replaced Giorgio?? Boy was Friday night cold, could not drag myself back to the arena even after putting the kids to bed.

Saturday, after bad night sleep, should have gone back out previous night, hung around kids soul for a while before seeing The Beat, obvious from the small but enthusiastic crowd a throwback as an influential band in the 80's, great to see, full of energy. More wandering mostly in B&S then back to see Ellie Goulding for as on my 10 year olds list of acts she had to see (never happened before). This is where I am wondering if I really was to old for The Picnic but the screams of teenage girls when she came out made me feel as if I was already at 1Direction next May (part of being best Dad in the world). Watched/listened stretched out on picnic mat so got 40 winks. Bite to eat followed by Bjork who I wanted to be brilliant and was, great visuals and had me listening again to Biophelia when I got home with a new appreciation. Back to the stands for TDSC who were ok, packed kids off again and came back for Disclosure who I had only heard of as result of appearance on Jools Holland. Maybe I should switch over to Spin every now and again, good but not worthy of big Saturday slot, disappointing also no guest vocalists especially with Sam Smith playing earlier in the day. B&S rounded the night off nicely.
    Sunday was big wash morning, sorry I mean relaxing in the Hot Tubs for an hour the bite to eat in Hurley Burley, love the random routines they put on although we did not catch one this year. Closest I get to religion I get all year was fulfilled by a visit to Dublin Gospel choir. Then a first for us all left the main arena for a visit to Trenchtown and The Salty Dog, although quiet could see potential for popularity later on the evening. after the Torran Drummers kids and misses went off to Fosset's Circus (another annual thing) as I wandered the arena. Feel really sorry for Indians in the little big tent who had 4 people in the tent when I arrived, 2 of whom thought it was then a good time to escape and the 3 of us who left were nervously eyeing each other to see who would be the last to leave and leave this poor bastard playing to the sound desk. After Johnny Marr, another daughters choice, Kodaline who drew the kids back to the main then back for David Byrne/St Vincent who were thoroughly entertaining. Back to B&S for more random stuff and chatting to strangers around the fire and then bedtime. No gas left in the engine and put to sleep by the Arctic Monkeys who I really had zero interest in. Usually Sunday nights are a late one in B&S but not this year, first year in a while not chilling to Donal Dinneens eclectic sounds.

Overall there was something missing this year, the festivals soul. Love or hate John Reynolds and POD it did not run for 9 years without building up the name and reputation it had. Not sure if next year, legal disputes withstanding that there influence returns (if at all) in plenty of time for a better more alternative line up. Some changes were good, ticket prices, security guys/gals were excellent, main stage set up, good weather helped, toilets by in large well attended and clean. Had no major issue with the knacker elements, they tend to stick to there own and spend there time shortening there own lives, no biggie. Beer prices outrageous, never saw a queue for beer, so I just drank my cans. Drop the prices and people will not be looking for novel ways of smuggling cans into the venue (a plus of bringing kids)

Will I be back, not sure will probably get an early bird and see how the line up pans out next year. Pity I am now looking at the festival like this as it's 3 day's I find myself forgetting every thing wrong in this dump of a country. For those thinking of turning into an Oxygen type festival, EP regulars, the people of Stradbally don't deserve it and did it last? I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I normally think pyrotechnics to come across a bit cheesy, but when i saw them at Bjork's set I was seriously riled up!

Those 2 firework/flare thing she used during Crystalline were pretty cool!
    Credit to the drummer too - he was fantastic! Also the sound on the main stage was top notch!
    Anybody who was at Arcade Fire a few years back on the main stage will know how poor the main stage sound used to be!

Got a 2+ minute clip of Hyberballad ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Rfrip wrote: »

don't blame a bug, I'm only coming around today, I started feeling sick on Tuesday and struggled with a dodgy stomach since then. The funny thing is, I suffered the same symptoms last year too:eek:

A friend of mine said I just suffer from a case of 'lightweightitis' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

britie wrote: »
    Disclosure who I had only heard of as result of appearance on Jools Holland. Maybe I should switch over to Spin every now and again, good but not worthy of big Saturday slot, disappointing also no guest vocalists especially with Sam Smith playing earlier in the day.

Totally agree ... Thought Disclosure were disappointing - lost without the vocalists! Whatever about AlunaGeorge lady, I thought Sam Smith was a sure thing

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

don't blame a bug, I'm only coming around today, I started feeling sick on Tuesday and struggled with a dodgy stomach since then. The funny thing is, I suffered the same symptoms last year too:eek:

I had the same last year as well.......then again I am 35.

• Advertisement

I had the same last year as well.......then again I am 35.

and I'm 36 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

britie wrote: »
    Had no major issue with the knacker elements, they tend to stick to there own and spend there time shortening there own lives, no biggie.

Ha Ha, Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Must have been something in the air.

Myself and the wife have been sick all week with bad chest head and throat.

Anyway, what an EP !!

Really enjoyed it probably more then any other year. Slightly odd crowd on the Sunday and definite change in atmosphere but that's to be expected. Only people I found we're a nuisance we're the younger ones that couldn't hold their drink or pills and kept staggering into me as they passed by. Ended up with a soaked hoody 2 nights in a row but other than that not an ounce of trouble.

I was completley unexcited by the lineup but really enjoyed a couple of sets. Highlights for me were Johnny Marr, Robert Plant and strangely enough I loved Ellie Goulding but maybe that was more down to the aesthetics then the music. I wanted to see Bjork out of some kind of morbid curiosity and curiosity now quenched I can safely say i wouldnt be a fan but each to their own i suppose.

All in i had a great weekend and for my 8th EP i thought it was as good as ever if a little dumbed down in places. Will i be back ? You betcha !! But at 40 this year it's taken me a little longer to recover. That said the pain was well worth it :)

I had an amazing Picnic and this is my eighth time now, there was a younger element there alright but I saw no trouble. I agree about spoilt brat girls though, was waiting in a toilet queue in B&S and was talking to these girls and asking them what they thought of the festival and one turned around and said, "Are you a bit thick, cant you see we are not interested." Ah FFS! I was just blethering Id no intention of jumping into their pants and I didn't see the point of justifying this by explaining that it was a Picnic thing to do to have a random conversation.

I thought this Picnic reminded me of previous Picnics, especially the lighted cube entrance to the main stage, it reminded of this installation from 2008 called the Cubeatron, it was a great place to go tripper spotting.

I agree about Disclosure not being a Saturday closing act but they do make a nice sound, just not a visual spectacle like Chemical Brothers, 2ManyDJs or Orbital.

Didn't go near the bars, was drinking water or coffee during the day in the arena, would only crack open beers from 6 pm onwards having learnt from previous Picnics to pace myself.

The line up might have looked thin, but you could not fault it in the end. Highlights for me were Wu Tang Clan (great fun and a great way to get the festival kicking off) DJ Kali ( I was initially disappointed with her set as it was more downbeat than her usual DnB/Dubstep set, but grew to like the laid back dub infused slow step thing she was doing)
    Ben Klock - The best dance music and light show Id seen on Friday night, the lasers really created galaxies and milky way universes on the trees, which is giving me munchies now for some chocolate.
    Bjork (amazing) Plant ( A thousand times better than I saw him back in 1984 when he never done a thing from the Zeppelin catalogue, so yes, bloody amazing)
    Clinic were a nice new discovery, hard driving, kick ass rock n roll, me and my mates making potential asses of ourselves in the process of this video clip.

The Eels (pretty good), Johnny Marr (amazing), noah and the Whale (entertaining enough), David Byrne & St Vincent (****ing Amazing) The Knife (unbelievably amazing).

I spent a lot of time around the Earthship area of B&S, one of my favourite spots.

Low lights: Fatboy Slim most of his set was super cheesy sh1te, although there was one or two good moments.
    Queues for the toilets on Saturday & Sunday, 40 minute waits, ended up going to the crew camp through the hole in the wall staff entrance as it did take less time to find less crowded loos. Stradbally with the Super Valu was a life saver especially for Festival Republic volunteers considering they don't get food tokens during their shifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

I had the post picnic flu too. never happened to me before. Hope it never happens again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I had the post picnic flu too. never happened to me before. Hope it never happens again

The silly bitch (she's not really, that's a bit harsh) that's sits almost facing me in work came in on the Thursday before EP snivelling and sneezing on top of me, I wasn't impressed to say the least. At one point while she was out I actually sprayed the area with disinfectant. Her screen, keyboard, phone!

Coughed and sneezed on me for about 3 hours and then went home!!
    That + some of the cold nights I was in a hoop by Monday mix in mega hangover + dyhydration it was tough going!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

No no I'm pretty sure it's a bug............nothing to do with three days of drinking and being over 30....most definatly a bug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

I have to say, my highlight of the whole weekend, was seeing a D4 girl get odd at her friends and saying she'd had enough, and was going back to her tawnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Great weekend last week still only coming around now.lost my wallet at the red bull stage Friday night and my phone at the same stage Saturday night other than that it was great.stayed in Oscar Wilde for the first time this year and will be staying there from now on very handy to get to the car for supplies but needs more toilets in there for next year 40 min wait is not cool..Salty Dog rocked all weekend,Trenchtown was very cool this year,Body&Soul was awesome as usual..from what i can remember Wu Tang Clan,Askillz,David Byrne,Gospel choir were brilliant..funniest thing i heard all weekend was when one of our neighbours came back to his tent late on sat night and started pumping up his air bed a loud roar came from a nearby tent "can somebody call security that man is stabbing his wife with some breed of a thin whistle" i nearly pissed myself there and then..till next year people

Missing it now, I wish it was starting all over again, it will be Bestival this weekend in the Isle of Wight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.I'm gonna let it go come Sunday night, when I have all my 'this time last week' moments out of the way.

Sigh....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭xxerogravity

Anyone dare to start an Electric Picnic 2014 thread yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Its actually so nice to know that other people are so depressed after it, I thought I was the only one!! Roll on next year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

Anyone see Forrests or Hudson Mohawke in the Little Big Tent late on Saturday. Think I remember enjoying them but can't be 100% sure 😀
    Other than that, great picnic (my 5th).
    Highs: weather, boutique camping, security (excellent, professional, good humoured and used common sense), toilets (who'd have thought), B&S, the food (special mention to Evie at Country Choice in Global Green), Young Wonder, Trailer Park, Little Green Cars, Phantom and all you beautiful picnickers.
    Lows: the feeling each morning pre-shower and brekkie, not seeing more music, the cold at night, hearing of the poor lad passing (RIP), having to wait 12 months to do this all again.

By the way, for what it's worth, I thought the atmosphere was brilliant and sure, there were a lot of younger ppl and they were probably drunker than normal but they behaved impeccably and contributed handsomely to a super weekend. I agree with most boardies that FR should not get TOO greedy and should leave the limit at 35k even if we each paid €10 more. They need to think long term with this. They, and we, want this to last for the next 10 years. Just one year of "Oxegen lite" would kill this forever. Tread carefully.

Thanks for all the advise and entertainment over the past few months boardies. Can't wait for EP 14 thread. 😀

@rebelreded

caught the last of Hudson Mohawke's set, place was jointed and what an atmosphere, I was a bit in bits to be honest but jaysus it was something else.
    It reinforced my love for the Little Bit Tent.

rebelreded wrote: »
    By the way, for what it's worth, I thought the atmosphere was brilliant and sure, there were a lot of younger ppl and they were probably drunker than normal but they behaved impeccably and contributed handsomely to a super weekend. I agree with most boardies that FR should not get TOO greedy and should leave the limit at 35k even if we each paid €10 more. They need to think long term with this. They, and we, want this to last for the next 10 years. Just one year of "Oxegen lite" would kill this forever. Tread carefully.

oh rebelred, you were on your high horse many pages back at me specifically about FR and the organisers in general being fully within their rights to seek additional revenue sources so that the festival can continue in some capacity at the expense of the original 'alternative/boutique' festival...are you perhaps adding your own caveats now?? ;);)

Only pullin' yer leg, I understand where you are coming from. Yes, they do need to tread carefully...however once big business gets the taste for profits treading carefully gets thrown out the window and the cash cow will be flogged until it's a bleeding corpse..and that was my original concern.

right, that's it for tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

This time last week I had just completed quite a succesful 10/10 swan dive over my tent and had a mouth full of dirt upon the 1/10 landing...this week I'm sitting in an office looking at screens.

Boo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

sadie06 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.I'm gonna let it go come Sunday night, when I have all my 'this time last week' moments out of the way.

Sigh....

Glad I'm not the only one who does that. I keep meaning to click the unfollow button on this thread, I can't do it though :o

• Advertisement

Advertisement