Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

lordgoat wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity like this post if you think EP will happen in some shape or form.

I honestly don't think so and it kills me to say it. I've been to five with last years being amazing, I've the days booked off work since last year even. But there seems to b loads of gigs on this summer that wud play ep, longitude etc,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

Rfrip wrote: »
    I honestly don't think so and it kills me to say it. I've been to five with last years being amazing, I've the days booked off work since last year even. But there seems to b loads of gigs on this summer that wud play ep, longitude etc,

I've been to loads of them but you really need to get out of Ireland a bit. EP is ****e enough in comparison to most festivals I've been to.

Heading to this new festival in September.

http://www.unknowncroatia.com/

It will kick the **** out of EP for sure, 5 days in deadly apartment by the beach with better music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Joe Hart wrote: »

I've been to loads of them but you really need to get out of Ireland a bit. EP is ****e enough in comparison to most festivals I've been to.

It will kick the **** out of EP for sure, 5 days in deadly apartment by the beach with better music.

I have a passport that's been used from time to time thanks very much!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

some line up at that festival.

:rolleyes: dafuq

Sorry no Suede or Franz Ferdianand. Perfect illustration of why the EP crowd is fairly ****e. People knew their stuff when it started out but it went for too wide an audience and suffered because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Sorry no Suede or Franz Ferdianand. Perfect illustration of why the EP crowd is fairly ****e. People knew their stuff when it started out but it went for too wide an audience and suffered because of it.

That festival is an electronic music festival only, rught? Line-up looks pretty good to me but no real point comparing it to EP.... two very different beasts.

Enjoy the Croatia fest - sounds cracking but not an option for me.

I'll happily enjoy EP if it does go ahead - maybe I'll get both Mount Kimbie and Dirty Projectors on the bill.

And the crowd will b perfectly fine - unless Oxegen doesn't go ahead in which case it'll be invaded by ravening hordes of axe-wielding barbarians ;-)

Mr.S wrote: »
    God forgive them for wanting to expand the festival :rolleyes:

Expand for the sake of expanding? To make money? They've made serious losses for the past 3 years. They priced a lot of music fans out of what was a decent festival for years as well.

They should do what they do best and improve that each year. Does every festival ultimately plan on being the next Glastonbury?
    Bloc was another decent festival that expanded for no good reason and completely sunk the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

It'll happen and they'll expand to the metal market with QOTSA, System of a Down, Nine Inch Nails and The Melvins.
    When this happens I expect my future telling skills to be praised by all of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Rfrip wrote: »
    Someone on the Facebook page has put up that he heard from a decent source that its being scaled back to 12k with no body and soul.
    I don't think I'd actually go if there was no body and soul. That's where all the magic is! Anyone think this kinda rumour cud be true or complete horse****e

Ep wouldn't be the same without Body and Soul, I'd much preferred if they cut some of the early bands from the main stages.. Not sure how much scrapping it even would save.. Looked at last year's timetable and don't see many acts that would command a huge asking price but maybe all the ''smaller'' acts' costs add up..

The 12k thing doesn't make much sense to me.. Presumably they'd be able to half secuirty costs etc. if that happened but you're obviously looking at a huge fall in ticket revenue, food, and alcohol sales. I know they're not going to sell EP out anytime soon but enforcing such a low capacity from the outset doesn't seem to make any sense.. Then again maybe their accountants (who have access to all the relevant figures) are calling the shots! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Eod100 wrote: »
    As in if the organiser was on radio saying he hopes it goes ahead why don't they update the FB page, twitter, and website saying something to that effect?

^ This would be a classic marketing strategy to keep people guessing and talking about it, hence keep a buzz about it going, and it's working like a charm!

I'm definitely on the side of the fence that sees it going ahead, he sounded promising on the radio, he even said it was happening next year too. I think the too many chefs quote was his way of saying how pissed off he was with how many organisers are involved as a result of selling off shares.

In terms of acts, there are plenty left that are touring this summer and haven't been booked for another festival yet: The Knife, Atoms For Peace, My Bloody Valentine, Moderat, UNKLE, Flaming Lips, Alt J, Bombay Bicycle club, Dutch Uncles, Fang Island, Wu Tang Clan, Bosnian Rainbows, Simian Mobile Disco, Polyphonic spree, Dead Skeletons, Shellac, Groove Armada (Live Set, their Life fest appearance is a DJ set), The Coup, Nosaj Thing, Logha, Squarepusher etc. I could keep going, I have every bit of faith they'll pull something out of the bag, or they already have and they're holding out to announce it.

conti wrote: »
    ^ This would be a classic marketing strategy to keep people guessing and talking about it, hence keep a buzz about it going, and it's working like a charm!

I'm definitely on the side of the fence that sees it going ahead, he sounded promising on the radio, he even said it was happening next year too. I think the too many chefs quote was his way of saying how pissed off he was with how many organisers are involved as a result of selling off shares.

Not sure about this.If it is their strategy (I don't think it is, think it's more likely that the organisers themselves are crunching the numbers to see if it's financially viable to run it this year) then it's a fairly risky one. I'm sure plenty of people who've bought early bird tickets and general tickets in the past have simply given up hope that it's going ahead and chosen to spend their money on other festivals..

There is some buzz/publicity alright but all of it is about uncertainty and I don't really see that selling tickets. Like other posters have stated there was a buzz when the early bird tickets came out and that meant that people who bought these encouraged their friends to go once the general tickets went on sale. If EP does go ahead (I'm very skeptical at this stage) they'll be starting from 0 ticket sales just over 5 months out from the proposed date so think it'll be hard to build up the same momentum of sales..

Think uncertainty keeps the loyal EPers curious (people who are going regardless and effectively don't need to be advertised to) because obviously they want it to go ahead but doesn't really encourage newcomers to buy tickets (besides there's no sign whatsoever of tickets going on sale anytime soon).

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Not sure about this.If it is their strategy (I don't think it is,.

No I wouldn't outright think it's their main plan, but by ignoring people's posts on their facebook and twitter it does leave the whole thing that bit more enigmatic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

No I wouldn't outright think it's their main plan, but by ignoring people's posts on their facebook and twitter it does leave the whole thing that bit more enigmatic.

its pushing people to make other plans, i really doubt its their intention tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

no, i'm pretty sure it's because the office lackies who run the Facebook/Twitter accounts have about as much clue as the rest of us.

hoping to get to either this, Outlook or Dimensions if EP doesn't happen.
    leaning towards Dimensions, as it's the first year of Unknown so it's a bit......unknown (!). some of the acts are already playing here this summer too, and I know Scuba, and possibly Disclosure will be announced for festivals here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Well the cash i set aside for my tickets has just been spent on a holiday.
    I got tired waiting. I doubt i'm alone in that.

No point running it without B&S imo. I do hope they get their shít together though, cos it was it was a great festival.
    All this speculation is like football transfer window time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I got tired waiting. I doubt i'm alone in that.

Nope. Wanted to get plans sorted quickly and off to Latitude I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭The Guardian

i just heard that EP will be launched next week.
    Apparently the Market Bar on tuesday evening.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

maximoose wrote: »
    Nope. Wanted to get plans sorted quickly and off to Latitude I am.

you'd never go back to EP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Buying Sea Session Tickets instead, got fed up waiting too

Big acts may look good and draw crowds but its the smaller acts that make the picnic and at this stage they've missed out on to many smaller acts that are the ones that make the picnic.

Therapy? for example would have been perfect but they are at sea sessions now instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

you'd never go back to EP

TBH, any year EP is on there's a high probability I'll be there (unless it seriously goes to the dogs or is now over!)

I've been to a few festivals abroad before and while I do think they do show how pathetically lacking in organisation Irish festivals are, I just didn't enjoy them as much - atmosphere just didn't seem quite as good or something, hard to put my finger on it but I remember seeing Jimmy Eat World at Lowlands and thinking to myself how strange it was hearing all the non native english speakers singing along in funny accents :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

If it's really going ahead, being announced next week makes sense.

Longitude is due to announce its full bill the following week I think and I honestly think that there if there's no word of EP before then, it's not happening.

WIll be very disappointed if there's no Body and Soul... would be a terrible decision and hopefully this would be obvious to the organisers.

Changed your mind then? :P

Where'd you hear this info btw?
    John Reynolds was on rte on saturday morning
    pretty much said it wasnt going ahead
    didnt confirm - but this ship has sailed
    he knows it
    would be suicidal to launch it now unless they had an unreal line up confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,347 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Lot of this reminds me of Sonisphere cancelling the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭The Guardian

Changed your mind then? :P

Where'd you hear this info btw?

i was simply reporting back what reynolds said on saturday

now i hear a launch is being organised - contact in the entertainment business, plus a mate of mine works at the venue mentioned

i fear EP 2013 will be such a half-assed effort that it will bury the festival for ever. i had some great weekends down there over the years and have decided to stay away this year to preserve those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Of course if someone wanted to confirm this they could just call up the Market Bar and try and book a table for Tuesday.

i was simply reporting back what reynolds said on saturday

now i hear a launch is being organised - contact in the entertainment business, plus a mate of mine works at the venue mentioned

i fear EP 2013 will be such a half-assed effort that it will bury the festival for ever. i had some great weekends down there over the years and have decided to stay away this year to preserve those.

Ah fair enough.. Well, hope this is true anyway. Guess we'll find out next Tuesday if it is.

Could be that the organisers have decided to put on one last festival but who knows.

WIll be very disappointed if there's no Body and Soul... would be a terrible decision and hopefully this would be obvious to the organisers.
    i would very much doubt there'd be no B&S. the actual main B&S stage structure is there all year AFAIK, so even if the actual B&S people aren't on board, I'd imagine they'd have some similar style area there either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Marseyred

Body and soul are advertising on FB for volunteers for EP so I would take that to mean that they are planning on being there!!

Advertisement