Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Elton John is just too damn commercial for the Picnic, at the most he is very soft pop, Im thinking maybe Portishead seeing as they have announced for Glastonbury, that Massive Attack type Sunday headliner. Just a theory, it would be nice, but maybe their tour will have wound up by July August who knows.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

I've never been to Bestival - is that more soft pop friendly than the Picnic? (that's a serious question, not me trying to be smart.)

He's headlining there the week after EP.

He'd certainly sell a few tickets... and god knows they need someone on the bill who'll do that.

And I'd prefer him to The Killers (perhaps even to elbow in some deep dark recess of my soul...)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭fits

I am quite certain Elton John will be booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Would be v surprised if he plays EP tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Im thinking maybe Portishead seeing as they have announced for Glastonbury, that Massive Attack type Sunday headliner. Just a theory, it would be nice, but maybe their tour will have wound up by July August who knows.

That would go a long way to making me happy!

I wouldn't call EJ soft-pop. Brilliantly crafted pop I'd say. I wouldn't mind him on the bill at all, as he's somebody I'd never ever pay to see, but I'd quite like the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Folzy

lc180 wrote: »
    Is the Smashing Pumpkins just Billy Corgan and a sessions band or is there any other original members? I could maybe see an IMMA date if EP didnt happen.

The band he has together is far from a sessions band but no, sadly no other original members remain :( New material being written right now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Elton John is playing in the marquee in cork in June, he wud hardly be back again in sept thou?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

nothing to see here

Anyone see The National playing? Know they're playing the Marquee but see that they're doing a few European festivals..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭lc180

Eod100 wrote: »
    Anyone see The National playing? Know they're playing the Marquee but see that they're doing a few European festivals..

The show in Cork was billed as their only appearance in ireland this summer. So that prob rules them out. But ya never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

2 days of EP aren't in summer tbf. or all 3 depending on which definition of summer you use....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

2 days of EP aren't in summer tbf. or all 3 depending on which definition of summer you use....

On a list of concerns i have about the picnic this is right down near the bottom alonng with what happens if there is a worldwide beer shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

danniemcq wrote: »
    a worldwide beer shortage.

I'd be worried about that considering the First EP ran out of beer. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

danniemcq wrote: »
    On a list of concerns i have about the picnic this is right down near the bottom alonng with what happens if there is a worldwide beer shortage.

Think Ghostdancer was talking in relation to whether The National playing EP would constitute a summer show or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭dinneenp

don't konw if this was posted already but taken from Body and Soul website

Stradbally Hall, Stradbally, Co. Laois

We are now accepting applications in all fields - From volunteers to therapists, creative concepts to forward thinking workshop leaders, new venue ideas to performance arts, hobbit homes to natural dwellings and a kaleidoscope of imaginative possibilities in-between!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Think Ghostdancer was talking in relation to whether The National playing EP would constitute a summer show or not.
    yes, this, not just a random observation on days and seasons :D

lordgoat wrote: »
    nothing to see here

I saw what you did there, gmail gave me a different message heh heh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Joe Hart wrote: »
    You might as well shut the thread as its not happening. Take my word for it, I'm in the industry.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

What's so funny? This is still not happening.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Explain all the vendors taking applications, body and soul accepting volunteer positions, EP posting about jobs, booking bands, launch party on Tuesday, Mr Industry!

These have been around for months. They event has not been legally cleared.Bit late now as well.

• Advertisement

Guess it's only going to be certain if/when official details are announced.. I'm fairly confident that it's going ahead though so it's just a matter of when the announcement will be made at this stage!

Guess it's only going to be certain if/when official details are announced.. I'm fairly confident that it's going ahead though so it's just a matter of when the announcement will be made at this stage!

An official announcement won't change much, they have a few legal obstacles in their way and then dire ticket sales could finish it before it's started. I will concede in September after the even has finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

I would say an official announcement would change quite a lot, as in, it would make it official. I think once they announced it formally it would take something pretty dire to stop it going ahead.

I hope it's a success, been a huge part of the Irish festival landscape for 10 years so it would be badly missed if this were to be it's swan song.

An official announcement won't change much, they have a few legal obstacles in their way and then dire ticket sales could finish it before it's started. I will concede in September after the even has finished.

So have you got a bet on in the bookies Joe that this is not going ahead. The festival still has 5 months to sell the tickets, not implausible.

So have you got a bet on in the bookies Joe that this is not going ahead.

I wish they did take bets but I would be in breach of my employment contract.

What are the legal obstacles? Don't remember hearing about any in the last few years so not sure why they'd experience some now..

What are the legal obstacles? Don't remember hearing about any in the last few years so not sure why they'd experience some now..
    I presume its about that John Reynolds interview where he mentioned "Too many cooks spoiling the broth." Or words to that effect.

I presume its about that John Reynolds interview where he mentioned "Too many cooks spoiling the broth." Or words to that effect.

Read that as meaning there was a commercial dispute of some sort among the different organisers as opposed to a legal one.. But who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

Jeden wrote: »
    I would say an official announcement would change quite a lot, as in, it would make it official. I think once they announced it formally it would take something pretty dire to stop it going ahead.

I hope it's a success, been a huge part of the Irish festival landscape for 10 years so it would be badly missed if this were to be it's swan song.

"This" wouldn't be its swansong though. Last September, in my opinion it's best atmosphere to date, would have been its swansong. I definitely won't be shocked if it doesn't go ahead though and some of the stuff dismissed as fantasy on here is actually quite close to reality but I certainly hope it goes ahead as it's been one of my festival highlights every year.

Contrary to what some people think, most people don't see the discussion on Facebook or here or anywhere else so all the talk of people being disgruntled by there being no announcement is really only discussed among a small number of people in the big scheme of things.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    This is true actually, off of boards / the EP facebook page / some rare tweets, I haven't really heard of anyone complaining about the lack of announcement yet (especially people that go to EP regularly).

That is because there is so little interest. The EP forum is dead.

Advertisement