Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Chic is playing forbidden fruit I think or latitude, one or the other, hope they come bk for ep. They were amazing at ep the last time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Here is a bit more on the Sunday Times report, saw this in the EP thread at the Peoples Republic of Cork music forum. "The Sunday Times reporting today that John Reynolds is due to launch a court bid next week to regain control of Electric Picnic." http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214705&page=5 Apparently MCD, or that half of EP wants to announce on the 15th, I presume that Reynolds is probably seeking an injuction against it. I hope the festival goes ahead anyway.
    I wouldn't be too upset if MCD/Festival Republic/Gaiety Holdings win and it can be announced. after 2009 when they took over, it improved straight away.

Reynolds/POD seem to have made several bad business decisions lately, and seeing as MCD/FR/GH have been the main owners of the festival for the last few years, as well as shown that they're well able to book EP-esque acts on their own (Longitude), I wouldn't really care about Reynolds not being too involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

yes, this, not just a random observation on days and seasons :D

ah, my bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭The Guardian

Reynolds is an honest irish businessman though
    would be good to see him profiting from EP
    you know, the man has taken a few hits over the last few years
    plus he has good contacts in the music industry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I see there is a nice gap between Lowlands Festival and Bestival for the Knifes tour, 2 and a half weeks so I hope to god EP goes ahead as I really want to see these guys.
    They have their new album Shaking the Habitual on full stream here and its a treat.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

So this shindig that was rumoured to be tonight was cancelled, was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

It's April. No announcement. No lineups. Legal battles behind the scenes.

Do people really think they can go ahead with a major, 3 day international festival at this stage particularly when they've lost a couple of million on the last few?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

We could have a Burning Man-Ireland instead of EP. Could use Bono, Bressie or Enda Kenny as the Burning Man... fook it, let's have all Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

if/when we know whether the even is going ahead or not a little part of me will miss this thread and all it's speculation and idle chatter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

Joe Hart wrote: »
    It's April. No announcement. No lineups. Legal battles behind the scenes.

Do people really think they can go ahead with a major, 3 day international festival at this stage particularly when they've lost a couple of million on the last few?

And Oxegen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

So much speculation it's beginning to hurt!

Just as I was starting to think it was going ahead it now seems it won't be. I just can't see it happening. Hope I'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭exilec

Got a reply about posh camping today, she had sent me one before a few weeks ago saying she had no prices set yet. So this is an updated one, surely she wouldn't of bothered pricing it if she was not certain it was going ahead.. ?

Hello xxxxxxxx

We will definitely be at Electric Picnic, we are just currently waiting for the festival to confirm what date we can go on sale. I can take your details and inform you as soon as we know. In the mean time please see all our accommodations that will be available and their prices so you can choose ready for the on sale date!

See pricing and options below:

9 Foot diameter squrts (baby yurts) 2 persons
    with wooden lockable doors and fitted groundsheet (unfurnished ) £360
    furnished with rugs, sheepskins, cushions small table led light and fairy lights £450
    a squrt with rugs , lighting and a double air bed and all bedding £530

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

exilec wrote: »
    Got a reply about posh camping today, she had sent me one before a few weeks ago saying she had no prices set yet. So this is an updated one, surely she wouldn't of bothered pricing it if she was not certain it was going ahead.. ?

Think the company could just have it priced already for UK festivals so not sure I'd read too much into this really!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

exilec wrote: »

Hello xxxxxxxx

We will definitely be at Electric Picnic, we are just currently waiting for the festival to confirm what date we can go on sale. I can take your details and inform you as soon as we know. In the mean time please see all our accommodations that will be available and their prices so you can choose ready for the on sale date!

See pricing and options below:

9 Foot diameter squrts (baby yurts) 2 persons
    with wooden lockable doors and fitted groundsheet (unfurnished ) £360
    furnished with rugs, sheepskins, cushions small table led light and fairy lights £450
    a squrt with rugs , lighting and a double air bed and all bedding £530

Stayed with them the last two years, it's a great set up and well worth the money. Anyone stay with festihuts? I'd like to try them out this year,

And Oxegen?

Not my Division :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Rfrip wrote: »
    Stayed with them the last two years, it's a great set up and well worth the money. Anyone stay with festihuts? I'd like to try them out this year,

I was thinking it seems fairly expensive.. Is it 360 sterling yeah? £60 per person per night seems on the dear-side. I know it saves the hassle of trekking back to a hotel each night (and probably cheaper) but still seems a bit much imo.

Eod100 wrote: »
    I was thinking it seems fairly expensive.. Is it 360 sterling yeah? £60 per person per night seems on the dear-side. I know it saves the hassle of trekking back to a hotel each night (and probably cheaper) but still seems a bit much imo.

Seriously start looking abroad. For that money I have a 100sqm 4* apartment by the beach in Croatia for Unknown Festival.

Amarin+2013_4_v581.jpg

I see there is a nice gap between Lowlands Festival and Bestival for the Knifes tour, 2 and a half weeks so I hope to god EP goes ahead as I really want to see these guys.
    They have their new album Shaking the Habitual on full stream here and its a treat.
    if it goes ahead, i anticipate you being happy with one of the acts announced so :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 DeLillo

So still no update on this event?
    Some way to treat your fans eh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭sporina

its not happening people - acts would have to be booked months ago anyway…

shame - i have accommodation booked

will go to latitude instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

What we know:

Some footwork stuff has proceeded as normal. This includes staffing, caterers, security, bookings etc.

John Reynolds, the festival director, has said he is hopeful it will go ahead but is apparently not willing to commit to anymore publicly. He is apparently upset about something as he is sniping about other people involved with his "too many cooks spoil the broth" comments.

The various social media accounts owned by the festival have been telling people it is happening and it will be announced any day now (in contradiction to Reynolds statement).

This Jim Carroll article from earlier this year speculates on conflict between Reynolds and the (new) Live Nation - Gaiety co owners.

Latest reports (allegedly in the Sunday Times but it is a paywall so can't find the article) is Reynolds is going to try and bring a court case against LN-Gaiety Holdings to "regain control".

If I had to guess I bet LN-Gaiety want to scale the festival back in some form for financial reasons and Reynolds is against that but it could be more mundane than that.

The short version of all of this is that any evidence of business as usual still has this whole mess hanging over it. I suspect that LN-Gaiety will push ahead with the festival but the fact all the infighting exists doesn't make me have a lot of hope for the end result.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Maybe LN-Gaiety are trying to book a headliner that Reynolds doesn't want, like Green Day or something

"I ****ing hate Green Day, so I'm going to sue you to give me back control!"
    somehing along the lines of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

More power to him so. If Green Day play Picnic I will be forced into some criminal activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Rfrip wrote: »

Stayed in the Festihuts last year. Completely closed off part of the camping site so no people wandering about, private toilets (proper actual toilets with actual sinks, no portaloos), doors with locks, key for each person, 2 sockets, a light, 4 beds (2 bunk beds) with thin foam mattresses which were surprisingly comfortable, a small window and half of the wall at the back of the hut opens out into a large window. We would definitely stay there again. For me, they are worth the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Toast wrote: »
    What we know:

Some footwork stuff has proceeded as normal. This includes staffing, caterers, security, bookings etc.

John Reynolds, the festival director, has said he is hopeful it will go ahead but is apparently not willing to commit to anymore publicly. He is apparently upset about something as he is sniping about other people involved with his "too many cooks spoil the broth" comments.

The various social media accounts owned by the festival have been telling people it is happening and it will be announced any day now (in contradiction to Reynolds statement).

This Jim Carroll article from earlier this year speculates on conflict between Reynolds and the (new) Live Nation - Gaiety co owners.

Latest reports (allegedly in the Sunday Times but it is a paywall so can't find the article) is Reynolds is going to try and bring a court case against LN-Gaiety Holdings to "regain control".

If I had to guess I bet LN-Gaiety want to scale the festival back in some form for financial reasons and Reynolds is against that but it could be more mundane than that.

The short version of all of this is that any evidence of business as usual still has this whole mess hanging over it. I suspect that LN-Gaiety will push ahead with the festival but the fact all the infighting exists doesn't make me have a lot of hope for the end result.

Thats what I was figuring too, Reynolds being the older version of EP he believes that Body & Soul and EP are inseparable whilst LN-Gaiety wants to make EP more like Rockness, Oxegen. Concerts without the peripheral stages like B&S, Salty Dog, Rave in the woods etc

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

sporina wrote: »
    its not happening people - acts would have to be booked months ago anyway…

shame - i have accommodation booked

will go to latitude instead

Thanks for that sporina! we can close the thread now lads.

Thats what I was figuring too, Reynolds being the older version of EP he believes that Body & Soul and EP are inseparable whilst LN-Gaiety wants to make EP more like Rockness, Oxegen. Concerts without the peripheral stages like B&S, Salty Dog, Rave in the woods etc
    i highly doubt LN-Gaeity would strip those considering they're the main selling points over other festivals, especially seeing as they/FR have past involvement in Latitude, Glastonbury, and the Big Chill, so know what works and what doesn't.

i'd say LN-G want to replace Reynolds as they're the main shareholder and want to get in someone who won't rack up even more debt. what that entails, i don't know.
    At a guess i would say going like most other festivals, and only having limited facilities open for campers on the first night (eg. B&S, Trenchtown, Salty Dog, Rave in the Woods), then opening the main music stages on Saturday and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

lordgoat wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity like this post if you think EP will happen in some shape or form.
    lordgoat wrote: »
    Or like this one if you think it won't be on at all.

I'm in the no EP camp.

That vote was tied at 12 each.

10 days on it'd be interesting to see how people see it going.

Thank this if you think EP will still be on this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Thank this if you don't think EP will be on this year.

I'm in this camp btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

jim carroll from the irish times tweeted today answering a question about EP

@jimcarrollOTR
    @ksjoleary due to be announced Apr 15, allegedly

Advertisement