Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

catch--22 wrote: »
    Today Fm news report.

Thanks! Tis funny if you go on twitter and search electric picnic there's a few music journalists on about it even though it was reported in the Sunday Times a few weeks back!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

Toast wrote: »
    "Leaked" Lineup was posted on the EP facebook originally by a guy who seems to be a Simpsons fan based on his profile. Almost certainly made up by him.

tumblr_lc88nhBhvp1qztjn5o1_500.png

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

id nearly b happier they left it for a year now, half assed will decimate it. focus on improving and regroup next year, dire year for tours anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

They've announced that they're announcing the announced line up on Monday the 15th April. For announcement.

And quit all your jibber jabbering, last year and the year before was fantastic.

They've announced that they're announcing the announced line up on Monday the 15th April. For announcement.

And where did they announce that? :P

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    This is kinda interesting, tweets between an Irish Times photog and a promoter with MCD (who is private so can't see his replies, but it doesn't look like he denies it!). The bottom tweet is the first one.

8ipDLq8.png

Yeah saw that alright. Not sure was the 17th a typo or has it been pushed back to then.

Here's a piece on today's court-case.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/electric-picnic-legal-action-adjourned-1.1353123?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Is it just me or is this getting quite a lot of coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

corm500 wrote: »
    List looks fine but there is not one headline act on it. None of these names could close the main stage

I can imagine that Portishead would close the main stage on Sunday night being that downbeat type tempo band in the same style as Massive Attack, they are headlining the Other stage at Glasto so definitely of headliner status for the Picnic.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

Not to mention Flaming Lips headlined 3 years ago. Them with The Knife as the late night electro act on the Friday and NIN headlining Saturday would not look amiss at all. All of whom are more suitable headliners then Elbow (not to mention the K word)...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rastadoyle

MattD wrote: »
    Not to mention Flaming Lips headlined 3 years ago. Them with The Knife as the late night electro act on the Friday and NIN headlining Saturday would not look amiss at all. All of whom are more suitable headliners then Elbow (not to mention the K word)...

k is good for one thing and its not the killers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Eod100 wrote: »
    Here's a piece on today's court-case.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/electric-picnic-legal-action-adjourned-1.1353123?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Is it just me or is this getting quite a lot of coverage?
    Reynolds doesn't come out of this too well IMO, just going on what's written in the article, especially the 2nd page.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It's odd, seems like he's raising good points on the first page but just comes across as childish and bitter on the second page. Surely April is too late to announce the line up? Funds from Early Bird tickets are used to secure early acts which would in turn drive sales to secure acts to be announced later. Festival Republic would have to invest serious amounts of money into the event this year with no guarantee of getting it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

They shouldn't bother with EP this year! there will be way too much expected of the festival after all this hype, it will never live up to the fuss.
    The truth is It's been deteriorating that little bit more each year for a long time now. The festival as a whole is exhausted and ran out of ideas (especially the line-up) the whole "boutique" thing is quite laughable now when you think about it. Take a year out my sweet friend and question what you've done wrong, and come back stronger than ever under a new but more authentic look.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

the two sides are now 'mediating' according to the news on radio one this morning-that basically means its about to be resolved without going to court... so if they have acts preliminarily booked its all systems go for the 15th....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Just because they are talking doesn't mean that it is about to be resolved. Mediations fail all the time. If Reynolds thinks the judge will give him a better deal than what LN-Gaiety offer then he will continue his case. However I suspect that with so little time left to do anything and money already spent they might offer him something fairly tempting. We just got to wait and see.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

nocoverart wrote: »
    They shouldn't bother with EP this year! there will be way too much expected of the festival after all this hype, it will never live up to the fuss.
    The truth is It's been deteriorating that little bit more each year for a long time now. The festival as a whole is exhausted and ran out of ideas (especially the line-up) the whole "boutique" thing is quite laughable now when you think about it. Take a year out my sweet friend and question what you've done wrong, and come back stronger than ever under a new but more authentic look.

agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

from jim carroll irish times

Please provide the link. You can't cut and paste articles without linking.

Please do put the link up as it is a great read.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2013/04/09/irish-festivals-2013-round-up-from-the-fields-to-the-courtrooms/
    The latest venue for those on the Irish festivals’ beat is the High Court where, as Mary Carolan reports in depth, Electric Picnic founder John Reynolds has brought a case against his partners in the event, Festival Republic Dublin Ltd (FRD), alleging that he has been excluded from management of the event. One such instance of this exclusion cited by Reynolds was the inclusion of The Killers on last year’s Picnic bill. FRD’s Melvin Benn denies these charges, arguing that “The Killers did not cause the 2012 losses” which Benn believed were “due to ticket prices being too high given the economic clinate last year”. FRD plan to make this year’s Picnic more affordable, Benn added. The case was adjourned yesterday by Mr Justice Peter Kelly to allow for mediation between both sides.

As the case is ongoing, comments can’t be made on it. However, speculation around the make-up of this year’s Picnic can, of course, continue unabated. There is increased talk about some class of announcement next week (which heightens the urgency about the mediation between the aggrieved parties, especially as it’s very late in the day to be making announcements) and a number of acts – My Bloody Valentine, Portishead and The Knife – keep getting mentioned with regard to the Stradbally event. Preparation and bookings are also underway for other elements of the Picnic, such as content for the spoken word and arts spaces.

One of the reasons why there is so much interest in the will-they-won’t-they nature of the Electric Picnic is that there’s a large coterie of punters who are still hanging on for the event. If there is no Picnic in 2013, they may well go elsewhere and that’s a sizeable floating vote to be captured for any event. Hence, why we have MCD putting their irons in the fire with Longitude and what is, IMHO, the best pound-for-pound line-up on any Irish festival bill this summer. Indeed, some might argue that the Longitude line-up looks very like what the Picnic would resemble in a normal year. Yesterday, Longitude announced even more acts and a day-by-day breakdown to rev up day ticket sales. No details, though, of any of the spoken word and arts’ stuff mooted at the launch which will make it “more than just a music festival”, but I suppose that’s to come in the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

http://www.hotpress.com/news/9698793.html

ELECTRIC PICNIC RESOLUTION COULD BE IN SIGHT

The court case between POD Music Ltd. and Festival Republic Dublin Ltd. was adjourned yesterday in order to allow the parties to enter into mediation. The Hot Press Newsdesk, 09 Apr 2013 The case was accepted into the Commercial Court – the branch of the High Court designed to fast-track the resolution of business disputes – by Justice Peter Kelly. However, mediation is the preferred route for any wrangle and the hope is that the issues between the parties can now be satisfactorily resolved.
    Hot Press understands that there has been contact between the two sides, raising expectations that this year’s Stradbally Hall Estate event will go ahead at the end of August as planned.

Previously the sole owner of the event, POD’s John Reynolds sold a 71% stake in the Picnic in 2009 to Festival Republic, whose shareholders include Live Nation and Denis Desmond’s Gaiety Investments.

Reynolds is claiming that an agreement for him to remain in charge of booking Picnic artists has been reneged on by Festival Republic, something that the latter’s Melvyn Benn strenuously denies.

Festival Republic had planned to announce the first batch of Electric Picnic acts on April 16, though how the current negotiations might affect this remains to be seen.

Needless to say, there's much speculation as to who'll be playing with Daft Punk, David Byrne, My Bloody Valentine, Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys and Thom Yorke’s Atoms For Peace among the acts rumoured for this year's event.

The one thing that is certain is that all Irish music fans will be hoping for a positive outcome.

http://www.hotpress.com/news/9698793.html

ELECTRIC PICNIC RESOLUTION COULD BE IN SIGHT

I've a feeling the April 15th/16th/17th dates that are floating around have been put out by the MCD side to put pressure on Reynolds to drop the case but just a feeling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭squonk

In fairness though, the Killers! I wouldn't cross the road to p|ss on them if they were on fire. One totally useless, pointless, rubbish, over-hyped band if ever there was one. They had no place at EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

I had great craic with The Killers, I was walking to Glen Hansard and heard them playing and everyone singing along and just stopped and basked in the fact that at that very moment I was better than thousands of twots enoying The Killers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I had great craic with The Killers, I was walking to Glen Hansard and heard them playing and everyone singing along and just stopped and basked in the fact that at that very moment I was better than thousands of twots enoying The Killers.

How did you come to that conclusion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

hahahah
    Glen Hansard, one of the most hateable men in Irish music. Fans are obviously cut from the same cloth.

PS. Hot Fuss was a great album and better than anything Hansard ever penned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Ah now Glen, (I mean, who else would be going to a Glen Hansard concert) I thought you were better than EVERYONE??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i don't like the Killers these days, but as said, they're far from the worst they could have gotten, and if it takes a massive act like that to sell tickets and keep EP alive, then so be it.
    didn't see them, rarely see any main stage headliners, and still had a great festival.

if they turn around next week and say that they need to book Mumford and Sons as a headliner or there's no EP this year, i'll fly over and bring their sh1tty banjos personally if needs be.

people seem to forget EP has had an awful lot of sh1te down through the years. Fatboy Slim and James Blunt, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

if they turn around next week and say that they need to book Mumford and Sons as a headliner or there's no EP this year, i'll fly over and bring their sh1tty banjos personally if needs be.

:D brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭exilec

Check out http://www.endoftheroadfestival.com/ happening the same weekend, its in dorset.. reckon we could have a few bands over for e.p , would love to see Eels again :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Entertainment.ie are reporting that Reynolds now doesn't want the event to happen this year :-/ I wonder who Benn has lined up to headline if it has come to such a drastic stage that Reynolds wants his festival to be finished up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

The Budweiser Made in America Festival lineup has just been announced. It's on the same weekend as Electric Picnic. So it should rule out the following artists, if EP does in fact go ahead. It also confirms, what we already thought, that the lineup that the guy posted on Facebook was indeed fake. Nine Inch Nails, HAIM and Kendrick Lamar, who were all on that lineup, will be in Philadelphia that weekend.

The full lineup is as follows:

Beyoncé
    Nine Inch Nails
    Queens of the Stone Age
    deadmau5
    Phoenix
    Calvin Harris
    The Gaslight Anthem
    Solange
    Empire of the Sun
    Jesse Rose
    Walk the Moon