Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Al70

TweetMe!?! wrote: »
    The Budweiser Made in America Festival lineup has just been announced. It's on the same weekend as Electric Picnic. So it should rule out the following artists, if EP does in fact go ahead. It also confirms, what we already thought, that the lineup that the guy posted on Facebook was indeed fake. Nine Inch Nails, HAIM and Kendrick Lamar, who were all on that lineup, will be in Philadelphia that weekend.

The full lineup is as follows:

Beyoncé
    Nine Inch Nails
    Queens of the Stone Age
    deadmau5
    Phoenix
    Calvin Harris
    The Gaslight Anthem
    Solange
    Empire of the Sun
    Jesse Rose
    Walk the Moon
    Emeli Sandé
    Kendrick Lamar
    Fitz and The Tantrums
    Wolfgang Gartner
    Schoolboy Q
    Ab-Soul
    Jay Rock
    AlunaGeorge
    Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
    HAIM
    Nero
    Wiz Khalifa
    Robert DeLong
    A$AP Rocky
    Miguel
    GTA
    2 Chainz
    Feed Me
    3LAU
    Rudimental
    Porter Robinson
    Mat Zo
    TJR
    Redlight
    Imagine Dragons

http://lifeandtimes.com/2013-budweiser-made-in-america-lineup-revealed

at least we will be spared Emeli Sande should it go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Al70 wrote: »
    at least we will be spared Emeli Sande should it go ahead

And the other Thirty odd thank feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

exilec wrote: »
    Check out http://www.endoftheroadfestival.com/ happening the same weekend, its in dorset.. reckon we could have a few bands over for e.p , would love to see Eels again :cool:

I'd kill to get Dinosaur Jr. and Efterklang over...

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

I actually like Emeli Sandé. I'm not even joking! This is awkward...

And Kendrick Lamar, Jay Rock, Ab-Soul, ScHoolboy Q, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, Public Enemy, Solange, HAIM and AlunaGeorge.

Regarding Electric Picnic though, I could've seen Kendrick playing. Public Enemy and HAIM too. And perhaps Solange and AlunaGeorge as well, even though they're already playing Body & Soul and Longitude, respectively.

I'm sure they're other artists on that lineup that could've potentially played EP too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yeah Public Enemy are playing the Button Factory for POD in a few weeks, so thought they'd be signed up for EP.

was really hoping Miguel would end up playing a festival here, but looks like I'll have to wait for him to do a solo gig here, can't really justify paying €90 to see him supporting Alicia Keys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

AdMMM wrote: »
    It's odd, seems like he's raising good points on the first page but just comes across as childish and bitter on the second page. Surely April is too late to announce the line up? Funds from Early Bird tickets are used to secure early acts which would in turn drive sales to secure acts to be announced later. Festival Republic would have to invest serious amounts of money into the event this year with no guarantee of getting it back!

It's not odd. The first page is essentially Reynolds case. The second page is the other sides point over view. They are trying to make him seem bitter.

I'm with Reynolds on this though - anyone who books The Killers as a headline act knows nothing about Electric Picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Tusky wrote: »
    I'm with Reynolds on this though - anyone who books The Killers as a headline act knows nothing about Electric Picnic.

let he who is without sin cast the first stone .

lets not forget mr reynolds booked james blunt for EP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

Tusky wrote: »
    It's not odd. The first page is essentially Reynolds case. The second page is the other sides point over view. They are trying to make him seem bitter.

His business model failed, that is why he had to ask for outside investment and the killers brought in a lot of extra punters for the Sunday last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

His business model failed, that is why he had to ask for outside investment and the killers brought in a lot of extra punters for the Sunday last year.

extra punters on the Sunday meant less for the rest of the weekend,

It also meant that there was less people camping. Less people camping means less people eating/spending money in Arena and campsite.

for example i know of at least a dozen people who refused to go because of the killers/day tickets. I know of nobody that went for the day or for the killers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

danniemcq wrote: »
    for example i know of at least a dozen people who refused to go because of the killers/day tickets.

You mean you know people who chose not to go to EP cos the Killers were playing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

It also meant that there was less people camping. Less people camping means less people eating/spending money in Arena and campsite.

for example i know of at least a dozen people who refused to go because of the killers/day tickets. I know of nobody that went for the day or for the killers

There was clearly a lot of people that went for the day and just for the Killers, if you compare the crowd at the mainstage on Friday and Saturday with the crowd that was there on Sunday.

Also, do we know what camping figures were like in comparison to the previous year? I imagine they were about the same. I really don't buy 'the killers killed the festival' nonsense being spouted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

This might well be true.

I'm pretty certain that those stands rent a space for a set fee, irregardless of what they sell.

I know people who had never been to EP but he just went for the Sunday. It works both ways really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Also, do we know what camping figures were like in comparison to the previous year? I imagine they were about the same. I really don't buy 'the killers killed the festival' nonsense being spouted.

no they have been dropping each year, more day tickets are selling year on year, the scote factor at ep is getting bad, putting folk off

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I'm pretty certain that those stands rent a space for a set fee, irregardless of what they sell.

yes true, but like oxegen a large amount are owned by the production company

no they have been dropping each year, more day tickets are selling year on year, the scote factor at ep is getting bad, putting folk off

I'd say it's more that people are less likely to afford weekend tickets and so opt for day tickets instead tbh..

Eod100 wrote: »
    You mean you know people who chose not to go to EP cos the Killers were playing?

yes, and it wasn't just because they didn't suit but the fact that those who bought day tickets were not the picnic crowd of the last few years. The vibe was different and despite the day trippers the crowd at the main stage was roughly the same if not less than some of the previous sunday night headliners.

I was amazed by the number of people who i was talking to over the weekend who also knew of people who wouldn't go because of it.

if they were having day tickets for the Sunday they should aim for a band that wouldn't attract the scumbaggy crowd although the year before with Arcade Fire you ran into the same problem. Vibe wasn't right, heaps of scumbags in area and the whole thing was lost on them. Ruined the gig for a lot of people.

I know people who had never been to EP but he just went for the Sunday. It works both ways really.

yeah i'm pretty sure thats how it works too but after having the daily ticket the year before too last year there was less foody places (around campsite anyway) this could be because of the loss the year before and to get them back they may have to reduce the fee imposed.

thats the thing though for every dozen people that swap (ie day pass for weekend tickets) thats €1680 or so that they lose out on

I'd say it's more that people are less likely to afford weekend tickets and so opt for day tickets instead tbh..

the early bird/loyalty and payment plans were a great way of helping people who couldn't afford the 240 in one go.

yes, and it wasn't just because they didn't suit but the fact that those who bought day tickets were not the picnic crowd of the last few years. The vibe was different and despite the day trippers the crowd at the main stage was roughly the same if not less than some of the previous sunday night headliners.

I was amazed by the number of people who i was talking to over the weekend who also knew of people who wouldn't go because of it.

if they were having day tickets for the Sunday they should aim for a band that wouldn't attract the scumbaggy crowd although the year before with Arcade Fire you ran into the same problem. Vibe wasn't right, heaps of scumbags in area and the whole thing was lost on them. Ruined the gig for a lot of people.

But sure how would people know what the vibe was going to be like before the festival? Was there last year and didn't see one bit of trouble, didn't hear about anyone's tents being robbed etc.

the early bird/loyalty and payment plans were a great way of helping people who couldn't afford the 240 in one go.

How many early bird and loyalty tickets are sold though? I'd imagine it's not that many tickets at all. True, payment plans help a bit but still going to have to pay for food, alcohol and all that so still not cheap by any means. Also chances are a lot of EP's target market have emigrated/are unemployed so numbers will naturally be down.

• Advertisement

also aside from last year... the weather has been dire beyond belief for last 4 or so hasnt it? It loses its twlight magicalness when you're 2 foot in muck and your tent inside is like a kids paddling pool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Weather last year was great. Not even listening to the match on the radio on Sunday afternoon could bring my spirits down because it was so sunny and warm.

not really sure what your point is here?

if people are choosing to go on the Sunday instead of the whole weekend, they probably wouldn't have gone for the whole weekend anyway. they either want to see a particular band, or just experience it for a day and see a few bands, and don't want to shell out 240 for the privilege.

from a purely capacity point of view on how many tickets they're allowed sell, EP hasn't sold out in years, so it doesn't matter if they've reduced the amount of camping tickets available as they're not selling out anyway...

EP wasn't selling out when there were no day tickets, and it's not selling out even when there is day tickets for Sunday...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 am777

There was clearly a lot of people that went for the day and just for the Killers, if you compare the crowd at the mainstage on Friday and Saturday with the crowd that was there on Sunday.

From the horses mouth...not my personal view

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

also aside from last year... the weather has been dire beyond belief for last 4 or so hasnt it? It loses its twlight magicalness when you're 2 foot in muck and your tent inside is like a kids paddling pool

Not as bad as Oxegen weather wise, more just isolated showers during the weekends for 2005, 2007 (one tremendous heavy shower in early evening Sunday during the Beastie Boys second set but it was in the Electric Arena so under cover.) 2008 - the cloud burst about 1 am Monday morning, but I was shot by then anyway.
    2009 it rained for half of Sunday and it was fairly packed so a mucky quagmire, but not so bad for the duration.
    2010 Friday - a red hot day, Sat cloudy but dry Sun heavy drizzle followed by gales and rain.
    2011- mainly cloudy with sunny spells, chilly at night. There was heavy rain at 12 am Friday night around the time of **** Robot and Boys Noise as I was working around there and some heavy rain in early Sunday afternoon. The predicted storm didn't kick in till 3pm Monday afternoon and we were an hour out of Stradbally atm so lucky there.
    2012. Excellent weather, not too hot and not too cold.

So a much, much better weather history than Oxegen has faired.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Not as bad as Oxegen weather wise, more just isolated showers during the weekends for 2005, 2007, 2008 the clouds burst about 1 am Monday morning, but I was shot by then anyway.
    2009 it rained for half of Sunday and it was fairly packed so a mucky quagmire, but not so bad for the duration.
    2010 Friday - a red hot day, Sat cloudy but dry Sun heavy drizzle followed by gales and rain.
    2011- mainly cloudy with sunny spells, chilly at night. The storm didn't kick in till 3pm Monday afternoon and we were an hour out of Stradbally atm so lucky there.
    2012. Excellent weather, not too hot and not too cold.

So a much, much better weather history than Oxegen has faired.

i must have been at a different festival, i was down usually wed to monday and 2011, was an utter downpour from sunday, everyone got all their stuff destroyed, 2011 was p1ssy, 2010 was ok then went crap by the end, 2009 was a mud bath,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Jaysus you have good memory bodhrandude.

i must have been at a different festival, i was down usually wed to monday and 2011, was an utter downpour from sunday, everyone got all their stuff destroyed, 2011 was p1ssy, 2010 was ok then went crap by the end, 2009 was a mud bath,
    yeah, 2011 on the Sunday night was a complete washout. i left Massive Attack because it was so wet and cold and went back to the tent, then decided to just pack up my stuff and sleep in the car as it was so horrible :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

The weather for massive attack on the Sunday in 11' (i think) was crazy. It got a bit dangerous around the bacardi bar, the fencing was blowing over and loads rushed in for shelter. Everyone got freaked cause of what happened in pukklepop.. Great time tho. Once your wet, there's nothing u can do but dance around in the rain and mud. Grand for me cause i had the camper to go back to.. Ah please picnic..sort it out!! Gettin loads of good memory's now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The weather for massive attack on the Sunday in 11' (i think) was crazy. It got a bit dangerous around the bacardi bar, the fencing was blowing over and loads rushed in for shelter. Everyone got freaked cause of what happened in pukklepop.. Great time tho. Once your wet, there's nothing u can do but dance around in the rain and mud. Grand for me cause i had the camper to go back to.. Ah please picnic..sort it out!! Gettin loads of good memory's now.

You should have tried it on crutches. I busted my ankle on the first day and the sunday in the mud was an experience. :D

Advertisement