Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

You should have tried it on crutches. I busted my ankle on the first day and the sunday in the mud was an experience. :D

Christ. I can only imagine. It was an effort gettin about normally. The weather last year made up for the past few years tho. I got feckin sunburned!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The weather for massive attack on the Sunday in 11' (i think) was crazy. It got a bit dangerous around the bacardi bar, the fencing was blowing over and loads rushed in for shelter. Everyone got freaked cause of what happened in pukklepop.. Great time tho. Once your wet, there's nothing u can do but dance around in the rain and mud. Grand for me cause i had the camper to go back to.. Ah please picnic..sort it out!! Gettin loads of good memory's now.

Your mixing up 2010 with 2011, I remember Fever Ray in the Electric Arena and then Massive Attack in the gales.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

At Massive Attack some nice people gave me a spare poncho. Weather had been grand til then so never bought one. There was also some fella at it wearing only a pair of shorts and sunglasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Eod100 wrote: »
    But sure how would people know what the vibe was going to be like before the festival? Was there last year and didn't see one bit of trouble, didn't hear about anyone's tents being robbed etc.

because after the sh*ttyness of the whole Sunday the year before when day tickets were introduced and the band headlining that day (arcade fire) attracted such a crappy crowd it was bound to be the same (if not worse) for the killers

How many early bird and loyalty tickets are sold though? I'd imagine it's not that many tickets at all. True, payment plans help a bit but still going to have to pay for food, alcohol and all that so still not cheap by any means. Also chances are a lot of EP's target market have emigrated/are unemployed so numbers will naturally be down.

agreed that an event like EP has to evolve at the minute but day tickets and crappy bands are a step backwards that alienate the loyal fans that have gone year after year. They want to keep the hardcore fans and the core followers happy and that way word of the quality will spread amongst them and their friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Nechtan

danniemcq wrote: »
    because after the sh*ttyness of the whole Sunday the year before when day tickets were introduced and the band headlining that day (arcade fire) attracted such a crappy crowd it was bound to be the same (if not worse) for the killers

Those Arcade Fire fans are notorious!???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Arcade Fire were on the Saturday night, with the chemical brothers after them.
    It was Pulp and Underworld on the Sunday night.

Nechtan wrote: »
    Those Arcade Fire fans are notorious!???
    Arcade Fire were on the Saturday night, with the chemical brothers after them.
    It was Pulp and Underworld on the Sunday night.

dammit i gotta stop listening to bands when talking about other bands

my bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Yeah it seems the whole "Electric Picnic is now over run with the lower-classes" is a tiny bit of a spurious argument. It's hardly being headlined by Swedish House Mafia and Beady Eye, with guest appearances from JLb-8 and Fur Q.

I've been the last two years, and I can honestly say that there was no difference in atmosphere between the Saturday and Sunday crowds either year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Some smell of music snobbery off this thread lately. I can't believe people wouldn't go just because one band was playing. That's the whole point of a festival. If there is a band on one stage you don't like then you can go to another stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

To be honest the bands are more a less a bonus to me, i love the festival itself, the thing that puts me off going are the outrages ticket prices! Thats what shot them in the foot with the poor ticket sales, cant be charging them prices, especially during a recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

There's a recession? Where ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

agreed that an event like EP has to evolve at the minute but day tickets and crappy bands are a step backwards that alienate the loyal fans that have gone year after year. They want to keep the hardcore fans and the core followers happy and that way word of the quality will spread amongst them and their friends.

Ok I can kinda get the argument that certain bands will attract a rougher crowd to EP, don't agree with it but I can understand where you're coming from. But how do day tickets on their own (without any crappy bands say) alienate the loyal fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Ok I can kinda get the argument that certain bands will attract a rougher crowd to EP, don't agree with it but I can understand where you're coming from. But how do day tickets on their own (without any crappy bands say) alienate the loyal fans?
    some people seem to believe that day trippers ruin the "vibe" of the festival (whatever that is anymore), and that it's much better when everyone is there for the weekend.
    thankfully 99% of the "loyal fans" aren't so precious to get upset over nonsense like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

some people seem to believe that day trippers ruin the "vibe" of the festival (whatever that is anymore), and that it's much better when everyone is there for the weekend.
    thankfully 99% of the "loyal fans" aren't so precious to get upset over nonsense like that.

Last year the sunday athmosphere was totally different to the friday and Saturday, and not in a good way. Alot of people will agree with that and alot wont, but its not nonsense its just an opinion.

scary wrote: »
    Last year the sunday athmosphere was totally different to the friday and Saturday, and not in a good way. Alot of people will agree with that and alot wont, but its not nonsense its just an opinion.

But the atmosphere is such a vague term and surely people experience it differently.. What about the atmosphere was different in a bad way? As in I can understand if someone saw more fights, heard of more robbings etc that they'd have a different feeling towards the festival but if it's just a case of the ''atmosphere'' being different, I don't think that's anything that major..

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

er... has anybody heard anything about EP13? i was v hopeful a couple of days ago the hope is starting to wane somewhat...

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

But the atmosphere is such a vague term and surely people experience it differently.. What about the atmosphere was different in a bad way? As in I can understand if someone saw more fights, heard of more robbings etc that they'd have a different feeling towards the festival but if it's just a case of the ''atmosphere'' being different, I don't think that's anything that major..

exactly my point its peoples opinion, IMO on sunday there were alot more people, it got very messy with alot of young people completely wasted very early in the day and it wasn't comfortable and it always felt as if something would kick off, but others will see it different.

exactly my point its peoples opinion, IMO on sunday there were alot more people, it got very messy with alot of young people completely wasted very early in the day and it wasn't comfortable and it always felt as if something would kick off, but others will see it different.

They're all concrete examples of things though and if I'd seen those things aswell chances are I'd probably have the same opinion. I just get annoyed when people (not saying you) put it down to the ''vibe'' of the festival without giving any specific examples of what they mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

that has nothing to do with day tickets really. i thought the "atmosphere" was exactly the same on the Sunday, just with more people.
    day tickets didn't really make much of a difference the previous year either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

Picnic is a way of life.

Can we not all just get along?

roll wrote: »
    er... has anybody heard anything about EP13? i was v hopeful a couple of days ago the hope is starting to wane somewhat...

There was a court case a few days ago and there's mediating going on atm apparently.

Talk of line up being announced 16th/17th of this month but who knows!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Yeah it seems the whole "Electric Picnic is now over run with the lower-classes" is a tiny bit of a spurious argument.

I've been to every EP and I will happily say it has changed for the negative crowd wise, i wouldnt say 'lower-class', but there is a an unsavory element creeping in and IMO begun to outweigh the previous 'feel good' vibe that it had back in the day, maybe thats they way of fectivals here, happened to Oxegen, and is now happening to Electric Picnic. Everyone of course will see it differently, but I would agree with posters who feel its gone to the dogs as such. Where I work I would deal with alot of the trouble and it has magnified big time last 2 years anyway

I've been to every EP and I will happily say it has changed for the negative crowd wise, i wouldnt say 'lower-class', but there is a an unsavory element creeping in and IMO begun to outweigh the previous 'feel good' vibe that it had back in the day, maybe thats they way of fectivals here, happened to Oxegen, and is now happening to Electric Picnic. Everyone of course will see it differently, but I would agree with posters who feel its gone to the dogs as such. Where I work I would deal with alot of the trouble and it has magnified big time last 2 years anyway

I hope I'm not to blame for all the trouble. I DO like Oasis and I have ONLY been for the last two years... No, don't worry. I'm perhaps the most stable, educated, middle-class person here. My love of Oasis is partially ironic, for someone of my ethnic background.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I hope I'm not to blame for all the trouble. I DO like Oasis and I have ONLY been for the last two years... No, don't worry. I'm perhaps the most stable, educated, middle-class person here. My love of Oasis is partially ironic, for someone of my ethnic background.

I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny, or actually one of the people in question... :confused:

I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny, or actually one of the people in question... :confused:

Obviously I'm seriously comparing my ethnic background to my ironic liking of Oasis, and the single-handed mayhem that I've brought to the Picnic since 2011.

Hopefully we get some good news on Monday or Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Looks like Rob da Bank had solid info on Daft Punk not touring...

Rolling Stone interview apparently includes them saying that they want to focus attention on the album release and a tour would distract from that (or something like that...)

So...... Aphex Twin for the Picnic??? I need some good news, people!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Looks like Rob da Bank had solid info on Daft Punk not touring...

Rolling Stone interview apparently includes them saying that they want to focus attention on the album release and a tour would distract from that (or something like that...)

So...... Aphex Twin for the Picnic??? I need some good news, people!

I really hope that Aphex plays but I was looking at a few sites such as Resident Advisor and he is not listed for any events this year, the last time he played a gig was in November last year. If he was announced for EP it would probably shift a few tickets as he has a huge following here.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

My first picnic 05' had "hot fuss" playing in the car on the way down (Had to transfer it to cassette tape as my car was shaite, great memories!!:D) I loved that album but fook me the Killers have deteriorated since like a washed up Cher selling herself on the streets!! I passed their gig EP12 gig stopped to listen for a while "are we human.. are we dancer" what a crock of shaite no conviction, no atmosphere, just a job & didn't wan't to be there! the tits have been firmly pulled from that cash cow!!

Wasn't surprised about Reynolds Vs MCD. When MCD bought in a few years back there was talk of the festival 'changing' but quashed by Reynolds. It was the killers last year, i'm guessing this years was even worse. I think rather than letting EP turn into Qxygen but in a better location, Reynolds is going 'all in'! either he'll get what he wants or the EP will change forever!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

So potentially then, there could be an announcement about EP and Oxegen next week!?

Licking my chops at the prospect of that.

Oxegen seems like it's going more towards Life festival in terms of lineup, could be a good move, not many electro festivals and Oxegen will have some pretty big hip hop artists to cater for that crowd too you would imagine. 50,000 capacity is still the biggest music festival in Ireland I can think of so still gonna need to appeal to a big audience.

EP gonna be very interesting too.......raging I missed out on the sunkist version last year, hopefully get down for one of the days this year, but not sure if I can manage the full Monty!

Advertisement