Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Jeden wrote: »
    So potentially then, there could be an announcement about EP and Oxegen next week!?

Licking my chops at the prospect of that.

Oxegen seems like it's going more towards Life festival in terms of lineup, could be a good move, not many electro festivals and Oxegen will have some pretty big hip hop artists to cater for that crowd too you would imagine. 50,000 capacity is still the biggest music festival in Ireland I can think of so still gonna need to appeal to a big audience.

EP gonna be very interesting too.......raging I missed out on the sunkist version last year, hopefully get down for one of the days this year, but not sure if I can manage the full Monty!

Oxegen won't be anything like Life Festival, it will be a cheap sounding kind of Electronic music that's more on the lines of Ultra Festival in the U.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

Yeah on reflection they are very different festivals in size and history, but just been hearing quite a few unverified noises about a potential lineup and seemed more 'dance/electro' based than in years gone by.

Maybe that's just a function of the popularity generally of these sort of artists at the moment and not a specific change in direction for Oxegen.

Fully agree on keeping it simple though. Cut costs, get some proven headliners booked, drop the ticket price considerably and market the shiz out of it to Leaving Cert and college students and I think it will do well. You'd imagine that all the Leaving Cert students who didn't have the option last year might be interested in going this time around, but they just need to get a wiggle on and start announcing some acts and ticket prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

Mr.S wrote: »
    Perfect date for it really, Bank holiday weekend so everyones off work, LC students are all free. Potentially very good weather.

I'm guessing it'l be priced at minimum around €170-200 and day tickets around €90-100

I hope and expect that it will be a bit cheaper than that. It's just 2 days instead of 3 of actual live music this time right? Were the tickets for the 3 days around the €260 mark?

If the above is true, then I would hope that the weekend w/camping would come in around €140 - €180 mark.

Day tickets will prob be €80/€90 but I think they won't like to have a psychologically important 3 figure price for the 1 day tickets....

Hopefully all will be revealed next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Jeden wrote: »
    I hope and expect that it will be a bit cheaper than that. It's just 2 days instead of 3 of actual live music this time right? Were the tickets for the 3 days around the €260 mark?

If the above is true, then I would hope that the weekend w/camping would come in around €140 - €180 mark.

Day tickets will prob be €80/€90 but I think they won't like to have a psychologically important 3 figure price for the 1 day tickets....

Hopefully all will be revealed next week.
    they were €225 for 3 nights camping in 2011.
    would be very surprised if it's less than €170 his year assuming only 2 full days of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭deeks

Decent article regarding the ongoing court case in the Times today. Seems fairly bitter between the main players.

One interesting point that was raised is that The Killers were paid €500,000 to play last year. On top of that Elbow had to be paid €50,000 compensation on top of their fee as they were originally booked as headliners before the Killers were parachuted in. Also refers to some of the fees paid to some other bands (18k for Squarepusher, €22k for Paul Buchanan).

Gives a bit of an insight into the behind the scenes running of the festival.

• Advertisement

here's a link for the story, behind the Times paywall though:
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1245061.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

deeks wrote: »
    Decent article regarding the ongoing court case in the Times today. Seems fairly bitter between the main players.

One interesting point that was raised is that The Killers were paid €500,000 to play last year. On top of that Elbow had to be paid €50,000 compensation on top of their fee as they were originally booked as headliners before the Killers were parachuted in. Also refers to some of the fees paid to some other bands (18k for Squarepusher, €22k for Paul Buchanan).

Gives a bit of an insight into the behind the scenes running of the festival.

Pretty interesting alright!

Seems like the 2 lads don't get along at all at all though! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

If you post it, and the Picnic goes ahead, I'll owe you a pint on the Friday evening :)

Edit:

If you want to read it - go buy the times.

€50k compensation for being moved 1 place from headliner to 2nd on the bill, not bad at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

500k for The Killers not too shabby either. Money for old rope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Basically 550K(/35k =€15 on each ticket) to add the killers! no wonder Reynolds was pissed! Wiped out any chance of profit, they could have reduced ticket prices €15 rather than add the killers.

that's ignoring the fact that there will have been plenty of people who went down specifically to see the Killers, or who were swayed to going because of them. seeing as the crowd for them was apparently huge (many of them probably the influx of Sunday daytrippers), i'd imagine they more than paid for themselves.

if they weren't on the bill, no chance the price would be reduced, they would have just had Elbow as the headliners and ticket price would stay the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭markcellardoor

has anybody got the full text of this story... ? unfortunately I'm not a sunday times subscriber

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

I suspect no one is a Sunday Times subscriber however the mods have also made it clear they won't let people paste it in here as it is pay for content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

that's ignoring the fact that there will have been plenty of people who went down specifically to see the Killers, or who were swayed to going because of them. seeing as the crowd for them was apparently huge (many of them probably the influx of Sunday daytrippers), i'd imagine they more than paid for themselves.

if they weren't on the bill, no chance the price would be reduced, they would have just had Elbow as the headliners and ticket price would stay the same.

Agreed!!!

Many people with Sunday day tickets went just for the Killers and the fact that the sun was out.

Let's assume that 4,000 day tickets were sold for the Sunday @ €100

That's €400,000 alone, not to mind the money those 4,000 spent on the day!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

has anybody got the full text of this story... ? unfortunately I'm not a sunday times subscriber

Copying and pasting a subbed article will result in a ban. It's the same as postings links to illegal downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

ok its the 15th...now what????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

When are the two due back in court? Is it this afternoon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

paulieeye wrote: »
    ok its the 15th...now what????

I for one am losing interest and considering other options. We come as a family package, and I need to plan ahead.

It's bloody annoying at this stage, and when you've 'liked' another family friendly festival on Facebook that uses clever tricks such as 'featured artist of the day' to try to woo you, it's increasingly hard to stay loyal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Just read that Times article.
    Before i read it i already thought it was too late for the festival to go ahead this year, but after reading it, i would be amazed if it does go ahead. The animosity between the two is something else.

• Advertisement

well seeing as Reynolds wanted to be bought out of his share of EP, hopefully they just stump to get him out of the picture and plough on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

When are the two due back in court? Is it this afternoon?
    the Times article says that mediation is to be held "next week", so this week presumably. court proceedings have been put on hold until the outcome of these are known.

it also says the lineup announcement has been delayed because of the court stuff, and that Benn/FR say that there's 3 top quality headliners lined up, and they're ready to put tickets on sale.

another interesting part of it, it seems Benn/Festival Republic wanted to get Blur for EP.
    Desmond/MCD were trying to get them for their own one gig, and Reynolds was (from my reading of it), doing the bidding to get them for EP, but somewhere along the way, he ended up getting them for himself as a standalone POD gig...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Someone has put the full article up in the EP 2013 thread in the Electric Beat section of the EP forum.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

another interesting part of it, it seems Benn/Festival Republic wanted to get Blur for EP.
    Desmond/MCD were trying to get them for their own one gig, and Reynolds was (from my reading of it), doing the bidding to get them for EP, but somewhere along the way, he ended up getting them for himself as a standalone POD gig...

My reading of that was Reynolds wanted Blur for a standalone gig, Desmond/MCD wanted them for the picnic and Reynolds effectively bid against his own partners to get them for his own gig.

I'm taking any talk of "top quality" in relation to the headliners with a big pinch of salt. They pretty much said themselves the festival had little of caliber left after not getting Blur and Longitude eating up a bunch of other bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Blur at EP would have been brilliant. I'm starting to dislike Reynolds more and more every time an article is written about him. I don't know if he being misrepresented by the media, or if he is just a c*nt, but either way it would seem that he needs to step away from EP.

Toast wrote: »
    My reading of that was Reynolds wanted Blur for a standalone gig, Desmond/MCD wanted them for the picnic and Reynolds effectively bid against his own partners to get them for his own gig.
    it says that Desmond was also seeking Blur "for a different concert" though...

seems like FR wanted them at EP, Reynolds/POD wanted them for himself, and so did Desmond/MCD.

everyone supposedly working together on EP while at the same time trying to poach acts for their own company's events is quite a cluster**** :pac:

Actually yes you are right. I had to read it again a few times to even spot it. I think I subconsciously "fixed" the sentence in my head because it makes so little sense to have that sort of infighting. It seems Reynolds was bang on the money with the "too many cooks" comment before. Also I think if Reynolds ends up on the losing side of this what will emerge will be a shadow of the festival. Benn wants to cut Body and Soul, Salty Dog and Mindfield according to the article.

• Advertisement

yeah i had to read some of the sentences a few times to make sense of them, found it a bit confusing at times.
    i would hope Benn or the people within FR who are responsible for actually running it would see sense and realise that the added stuff is why a lot of people go, especially seeing as they've been involved with Glastonbury, Latitude and others in the past. that said, personally I wouldn't care one bit if Mindfield was gone...

it's hard to know which I'd prefer to win, Reynolds just seems to want someone to buy him out, or it not go ahead this year at least, while Benn seems to want to put it on, but could potentially scrap some of the stuff that gives EP it's identity...

Advertisement