Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

I'm not feeling very confident :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

maximoose wrote: »
    Have just been told by my yearly free ticket provider that he has it "on good authority" that it's not going ahead this year.

I hope he's wrong.

is he from stradbally area? people i know down there are saying it's not going ahead as well but they're far from reliable. i just hope we're all wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭maximoose

is he from stradbally area? people i know down there are saying it's not going ahead as well but they're far from reliable. i just hope we're all wrong!

No, strong relationship with dept of transport/tourism... said from what they have told him it's not going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Jaysus, you lot are more depressing than a full compilation of The Smiths. The truth is none of us really know till we hear something official. At worst if it doesn't go ahead I'm sure Longitude will be a natural replacement and maybe every bit as good. New isn't always bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

If it's not going ahead though, I think it's very unprofessional of EP to not notify people of this.

People have been waiting for news of early bird tickets since November sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Seems like they've gone into robot mode over on their FB page..

Just keep saying that details on early bird tickets will be coming soon..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I wouldnt mind it wrapping up now, taking a lay year and rebranding, its heading towards oxegen direction, maybe quit while its got some sort of a name, move location and rejig its target market anf what it whats to be, has lost its way bit too much imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

I am dying inside reading all of these sad posts. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

perhaps ye already know this but EP replied to my tweet:

Dates are 30th, 31st of Aug + 1st of Sept. Early Bird details in the next week or two. Just running a little later than normal.

d'oh, their website already says this!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭markcellardoor

I think we all need to chill a bit... it's still only January... i'm still digesting the turkey. Come mid-March and if nothing is heard by then... I'll begin to panic.

Bestival is always an option alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

perhaps ye already know this but EP replied to my tweet:

Dates are 30th, 31st of Aug + 1st of Sept. Early Bird details in the next week or two. Just running a little later than normal.

d'oh, their website already says this!

It's said that for the last month or so.

Hope it goes ahead with Daft Punk headlining.

Synode wrote: »
    It's said that for the last month or so.

Hope it goes ahead with Daft Punk headlining.

I'd swap three headline sets from Daft Punk for one Aphex Twin set in the electric arena, no offence! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

nocoverart wrote: »
    I'd swap three headline sets from Daft Punk for one Aphex Twin set in the electric arena, no offence! :D
    And on the Saturday night slot from 12.30 to 2.30 am like Squarepusher last year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

And on the Saturday night slot from 12.30 to 2.30 am like Squarepusher last year.

Squarepusher :p. I think EP should have a "IDM" tent with Squarepusher kicking things off, Then Aphex Twin from 12 30 to 2 30 AM and finally Boards of Canada bringing us in to the small wee hours :p :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

IDM - lol i believe is what the kids say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

The Postal Service are reuniting for Coachella and other festivals, perhaps they might make a trip over here?

I would like that very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Its in the local paper "Leinster Express" (Laois) today that its still going ahead. The official launch is going to take place at Easter, with details of headliners around end of March, so hopefully there'll be some good acts announced, fingers crossed!!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭deeks

One of the promoters behind the Electric Picnic festival insisted last night that this year’s event will proceed. This is despite the Stradbally, Co Laois, festival incurring huge losses in recent years.
    The festival also underwent a significant change in its ownership structure last November.
    Melvin Benn from Festival Republic, which has been involved in Electric Picnic since 2009, said it was “always the intention” to hold the event this year, the festival’s 10th anniversary.
    Recent accounts filed by EP Republic Ltd, the operating company behind the festival, show combined losses in 2011 and 2010 totalling €2.1 million.
    EP Republic Ltd is owned equally by Mr Benn and John Reynolds. The company is controlled by EP Festivals Ltd, with 71 per cent owned by Mr Benn’s Festival Republic Dublin Ltd and 29 per cent owned by Mr Reynolds’s POD Music Ltd.
    Mr Benn told The Irish Times that tickets for this year’s event would go on sale “as usual” in March.
    He said the reason no early-bird tickets went on sale in December for this year’s event was the need to get “a new company structure” in place after Festival Republic Dublin Ltd was acquired by LN-Gaiety Holding Ltd last November.
    LN-Gaiety Holding Ltd is an entity owned by international music promoters Live Nation and Gaiety Investments, the parent company to Denis Desmond’s MCD Concerts.
    Ownership structure
    Mr Benn said the new ownership structure did not affect the position of Mr Reynolds, who has been involved with the festival since it started in 2004.
    While Mr Desmond’s Gaiety Investments was already a co-owner of Festival Republic with Live Nation, the MCD boss only became a director of Festival Republic Dublin Ltd on November 26th last.
    Records at the Companies Office show that Gaiety Investments has 20 outstanding mortgages and loans from a variety of lenders.

- From The Irish Times

I'll take the entire Coachella line-up please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Seems a bit weird it going ahead when it is commented on that owners lost a tonne of money. Can't see why I promoter would put on a festival at a loss just to have a nostalgic 10th year anniversary.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Seems a bit weird it going ahead when it is commented on that owners lost a tonne of money. Can't see why I promoter would put on a festival at a loss just to have a nostalgic 10th year anniversary.

could be a complicated web of companies where the operating company filing accounts make big losses and pay no tax because MCD and john reynolds take a big payment from it or something.

i do think the festival had to make a loss in 2012 though. getting my ticket on the friday, the queue for the complimentary tickets was overflowing, the punters got to take some responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

i do think the festival had to make a loss in 2012 though. getting my ticket on the friday, the queue for the complimentary tickets was overflowing, the punters got to take some responsibility

How do the punters take responsibility? By turning down free tickets if they are offered them?

Sorry, don't mean to be facetious here, but genuinely don't know how the punters can take responsibility for the running of the festival.....

Jeden wrote: »
    How do the punters take responsibility? By turning down free tickets if they are offered them?

Sorry, don't mean to be facetious here, but genuinely don't know how the punters can take responsibility for the running of the festival.....

i just talking about people on my facebok searching high and low to get on the guestlist instead of just buying a ticket. obviously if you're offered it you'll take it but these guys were hitting up every contact they half-knew.

i can see where they're coming from though, tickets are too expensive at €230

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

i just talking about people on my facebok searching high and low to get on the guestlist instead of just buying a ticket. obviously if you're offered it you'll take it but these guys were hitting up every contact they half-knew.

i can see where they're coming from though, tickets are too expensive at €230

If i could get tickets for free i'd take them too.
    People will always look for freebies. It's up to the organisers how many they give away, so the responsibility lies with them to tighten up on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i know a few people who got freebies who wouldn't have gone otherwise, so at least that's some money being put into the bars/food stalls etc.

met a few friends of friends who didn't even know who was playing and didn't know any of the names bar The Killers and Ed Sheeran but got free tickets so went up and down each day, had never been to EP before and didn't really have any interest in going until they were offered free tickets...

with the day tickets on Sunday last year, i'd imagine the losses wouldn't have been quite as bad. wouldn't surprise me if there was Saturday day tickets this year too, going on how many people seemed to just come for the day on the Sunday...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BornToRun75

im hoping the beatles will reform and play at electric picnic... then id definitely go! dont think they've electric picnic or any other festivals in a few years! here's hoping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

Yeah, nail on the head - if pricing was more competitive then I think people would be less inclined to scour the internet for freebies.

The charm is all the extras, circus, comedy, readings etc, but if they are causing inflated price (and let's face it, they all cost money), then I think they should consider paring back some of the extras and reflecting it in the ticket price.

10th year anniversary, so I'm hopeful of a big one from them this year....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Toast

Another press release that doesn't understand the term anniversary. This is the tenth edition but you celebrate your initial anniversary a year after the first event so the ten year anniversary isn't until 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

If i could get tickets for free i'd take them too.
    People will always look for freebies. It's up to the organisers how many they give away, so the responsibility lies with them to tighten up on this.

the guest list is incredibly tight, the issue is jumpers imo, of all the uk and irish festival, EP is outrageous the amount of jumpers, and blaggers to, queues of no joke 30/40 people at the gates at times trying to bull their way in and getting worse every year, its almost no existant at most uk festivals.

Advertisement