Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Brilliant live band and will be one of the most popular at the festival

Yeah, but with who? At least the bands scheduled to play other stages at the same time as Ocean Colour Scene can count on a dirtbag-free audience I suppose.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Not impressed with the line-up but there should be a lot more added - I'd hope for at least a couple more biggish names like The Knife or MBV.

That said, the reduced price was bound to impact the acts booked.

They do seem to be making a real effort to make the €150 tickets available to a lot of people...

That's because at anything over 150 quid it's grossly over priced. Look at the line up for any of the European festivals and see what you get for that money.

Optimus and primavera early bird were 100e.
    Best kept secret in Netherlands 120 includes camping

So many others. All better value and line ups

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

Yeah, but with who? At least the bands scheduled to play other stages at the same time as Ocean Colour Scene can count on a dirtbag-free audience I suppose.

will there be anyone at ocean colour scene? even the scummers must be thinking 'who?'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Batesy wrote: »
    Is it weird that I have no idea who the hell The Knife are?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mr.S wrote: »
    Fat Boy Slim
    Arctic Monkeys
    Bjork
    David Byrne
    Franz Ferdinand
    Ocean Colour Scene
    HURTS
    Mick Flannery
    The Walkmen
    Tiga
    Warpaint
    Baauer
    St. Vincent
    EELS
    Noah and The Whale
    Disclosure
    Policia
    Chvches
    Paruet
    Courts
    Clinic
    Savages
    Deap Valley
    SOAK
    Jeffrey Lewis
    Olaf Tyransen
    Johnny Marr
    The Strypes

Not mad about that lineup but I'll still go. There's not nearly enough stuff to jump around to there - it's all very sitdown'listenin' music, if that makes sense. Seems to be trying to appeal to an even older crowd.

Fat Boy Slim, Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys, Ocean Colour Scene, Tiga - what have they done of note lately?

Hoping for stronger additions to lineup over next couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

will there be anyone at ocean colour scene? even the scummers must be thinking 'who?'

Oh no, the notorious and infamous vicious gang of thugs and 'scummers' that are Ocean Colour Scene fans! What oh what will we do :eek:!

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Bjork and Eels worth 150 alone... Fat Boy Slim... I dont know how he's still booked, has anyone ever walked away from his gigs happy?

But Bjork...and Eels... Mr.E's Beautiful Eyes as the sun sets over Stradbally would be a memory I would hold to my grave

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

lordgoat wrote: »
    That's because at anything over 150 quid it's grossly over priced. Look at the line up for any of the European festivals and see what you get for that money.

Optimus and primavera early bird were 100e.
    Best kept secret in Netherlands 120 includes camping

So many others. All better value and line ups

From what I gather, theres a large premium over here to play in venues, not sure about festivals... Pretty much a single promotor market doesnt help

Bjork and Eels worth 150 alone... Fat Boy Slim... I dont know how he's still booked, has anyone ever walked away from his gigs happy?

But Bjork...and Eels... Mr.E's Beautiful Eyes as the sun sets over Stradbally would be a memory I would hold to my grave

I wouldn't be a big Fatboy Slim fanboy or anything but I had a great time at his last Picnic gig (or was it Oxegen?). Having said that, he should be nowhere near the headline slot for a festival. Most of the headline acts seem like they should have headlining ten years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

:( You're making me sad now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

nm wrote: »
    Oh no, the notorious and infamous vicious gang of thugs and 'scummers' that are Ocean Colour Scene fans! What oh what will we do :eek:!

:rolleyes:

At one of their gigs a guy was sung alonged to death. The Riverboat Song? More like the RiverDEATH Song

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Tusky wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a big Fatboy Slim fanboy or anything but I had a great time at his last Picnic gig (or was it Oxegen?). Having said that, he should be nowhere near the headline slot for a festival. Most of the headline acts seem like they should have headlining ten years ago.
    years ago he wasn't too bad.
    these days he's barely a step above Avicii.

if he was performing live, i wouldn't mind, but a bloody DJ set from someone who hasn't had a hit in years is pretty pathetic for a headline slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Most of the headline acts seem like they should have headlining ten years ago.

They've used up their 15 minutes of value then?

How naive of Glastonbury to book the Rolling Stones to headline then.

Most wanted acts on the festival circuit this summer - Bowie, Daft Punk, Chic, Stones, etc - all pretty well within the 'could have headlined ten years ago' territory.

Now, EP - sort out MBV, The Knife, Portishead, and Burt Bacharach, and we can all get along together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i was at that looking up at him sitting on the speakers drinking a bottle of water while the laptop did the rest thinking he could at least make it look like it's a big deal.

the saturday night slot is now down to 4 or 5 different groups like orbital/chemical brothers/fatboy slim/massive attack
    should the organisers go mad one year and put in a non dance crowd? it'll probably result in a decrease of glostix sales though..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

anyone else think the better line up might come after may 27th?

years ago he wasn't too bad.
    these days he's barely a step above Avicii.

if he was performing live, i wouldn't mind, but a bloody DJ set from someone who hasn't had a hit in years is pretty pathetic for a headline slot.

ticket prices are probably 15 -20 % more for the solo reason of him walking onstage a clicking play on a cd player and sucking up cheers as Christopher walken flyings around in a room on a big screen behind him

i was at that looking up at him sitting on the speakers drinking a bottle of water while the laptop did the rest thinking he could at least make it look like it's a big deal.

the saturday night slot is now down to 4 or 5 different groups like orbital/chemical brothers/fatboy slim/massive attack
    should the organisers go mad one year and put in a non dance crowd? it'll probably result in a decrease of glostix sales though..
    Fatboy Slim is in Jersey at a fesitval on the Saturday, so will be headlining the Friday night. Bjork is the Saturday headliner this year it seems.

someone like Basement Jaxx (who are touring European festivals in the summer) would be a better headliner than FBS if it had to be a dance-y headliner. at least they play live...

alastair wrote: »

the difference, the bands glasto gets are music legends... franz... arctics... I can't see my grandchildrens eyes opening up in awe when i tell them i was 'there' in stradbally when i saw them on their 'dwindling album sales/ poor money management forced us back on the road tour 2013'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

peteeeed wrote: »

You'll get a couple more midliners and a bunch of whelans-level bands in any future announcements. There won't be anybody bigger than who has been announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

peteeeed wrote: »

NO!

• Advertisement

someone like Basement Jaxx (who are touring European festivals in the summer) would be a better headliner than FBS if it had to be a dance-y headliner. at least they play live...

Bsaement jaxx were unreal in olympia a few years back... and Witnness 2002(old skool)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Bsaement jaxx were unreal in olympia a few years back... and Witnness 2002(old skool)

they're always unreal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

nocoverart wrote: »
    :( You're making me sad now.

They might get added later to the line up poster, like last years announcement. There is still two booking days to scoop them as Zurich festival has snapped them up for the 30th August. I'm more fed up that they have ignored Aphex Twin for the 9th year running WTF have they got against this guy did they not see his RockNess lazer show from 2010 and he would shift the tickets too. Still, I'm glad its on, there will still be surprises.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Most wanted acts on the festival circuit this summer - Bowie, Daft Punk, Chic, Stones, etc - all pretty well within the 'could have headlined ten years ago' territory.

Now, EP - sort out MBV, The Knife, Portishead, and Burt Bacharach, and we can all get along together.

They have not used up their value but they should not be headlining. Bowie and Stones will always be headliners due to their iconic status, regardless of what they have released of late. And as for Daft Punk - they are about to release one of the most hyped and anticipated albums of the year, so of course they are headliners.

(I should say that I was not expecting acts like Daft Punk, Bowie or Stones on the lineup announcement, was just replying to your post)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

the difference, the bands glasto gets are music legends... franz... arctics... I can't see my grandchildrens eyes opening up in awe when i tell them i was 'there' in stradbally when i saw them on their 'dwindling album sales/ poor money management forced us back on the road tour 2013'

Arctics are headlining Glastonbury this year.

Arctics are headlining Glastonbury this year.

they cant get it right EVERY time :)

They might get added later to the line up poster, like last years announcement. There is still two booking days to scoop them as Zurich festival has snapped them up for the 30th August. I'm more fed up that they have ignored Aphex Twin for the 9th year running WTF have they got against this guy did they not see his RockNess lazer show from 2010 and he would shift the tickets too. Still, I'm glad its on, there will still be surprises.
    Aphex Twin has no gigs booked this year as far as I know.
    he was touring in 2010, so that's prob how Forbidden Fruit got him.

probably looking at a ridiculous amount of money to get him to do a one off in Ireland, assuming he'd even do it just for the money...

Aphex Twin has no gigs booked this year as far as I know.
    he was touring in 2010, so that's prob how Forbidden Fruit got him.

probably looking at a ridiculous amount of money to get him to do a one off in Ireland, assuming he'd even do it just for the money...

I'd be happy with Chris Cunningham TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Count_Hook

And the picnic in 2006!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Line-up is alright. Hoping for a few goodies in the next announcement. Still going for sure, up early on Saturday morning for tickets :D

Advertisement