Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Oh man that rain was immense it just didn't stop.... I lost my rainjacket the day before and my hat at Fever Ray... Super soaked...

I do believe I got some fried chicken on my soaking walk back to the tent though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

As I said earlier in the thread, a woman came up and handed me a poncho during Massive Attack. I was very grateful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

kc66 wrote: »
    I was drowned, only had a T-shirt. Made for great visuals with the horizontal rain. Horrible night in the tent after too.

Was the worse weather I have seen at a gig, it added to the atmosphere though, wasn't a massive attack fan before that but I love them now.

Somehow my tent survived that nice despite 3 of the four corner brackets being broken with wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

A really baffling decision that CC and EITS were on the Main Stage and not in tents last year. Didn't check out either so can't comment on how good they were?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Explosions in the Sky were fantastic on the main stage. It really is a dice roll if the sound is going to be a horrible mess or not in the tents at EP and loud guitary bands usually get a particularly bad deal. The mess that was Dinosaur Jr still rings in my ears (Id seen them the same year in Primavera and they were amazing so it wasn't their fault).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Toast wrote: »
    It really is a dice roll if the sound is going to be a horrible mess or not in the tents at EP and loud guitary bands usually get a particularly bad deal.

I've always thought the opposite and that the sound at main stage is hit and miss (for anyone other than dance acts that is). Each to their own I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭endainoz

Anyone here listening to much chvrches lately? Really catchy synth pop stuff! Looking forward to the album when it comes out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

nocoverart wrote: »
    A really baffling decision that CC and EITS were on the Main Stage and not in tents last year. Didn't check out either so can't comment on how good they were?
    only caught the last 2 songs of CC, and we were on the very edge of the crowd, so didn't really get into it.
    friends were towards the front for the whole thing and said it was fine, but weren't particularly amazed overall (and they'd be big fans).
    i'd imagine the same performance in a tent and at night, and they would have enjoyed it more...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

nocoverart wrote: »

well crystal castles had asked to play on main stages on that festival tour . they also played the main stage at the reading festival

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

endainoz wrote: »
    Anyone here listening to much chvrches lately? Really catchy synth pop stuff! Looking forward to the album when it comes out!

Ah yeah, I don't mind them. Good festival band hopefully and more than likely long forgotten by next year.

Sure aren't the majority of festival bands like that I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

I'm just saying a lot of new bands start to get a bit famous around festival season. They then put in decent festival performances but the following year they've often been replaced by the next breed of similar level bands.

Only the exceptional survive!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

Just notice on the official poster it doesn't have that typical "& many more" tag at the bottom.

I'm probably reading too much into it, but would it be safe to assume no more big name bands will be added!? With Festival Republic also in charge of the Berlin Festival the following week I was hoping to see the likes of Pet Shop Boys or even Justice who are playing Zurich same weekend, but surely they are too big an act?

Any of ye seasoned EP & festival goers know with good degree of accuracy whether the rest of the bands added be much smaller/Irish acts or Body and Soul DJ's?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Folzy

Just notice on the official poster it doesn't have that typical "& many more" tag at the bottom.

I'm probably reading too much into it, but would it be safe to assume no more big name bands will be added!? With Festival Republic also in charge of the Berlin Festival the following week I was hoping to see the likes of Pet Shop Boys or even Justice who are playing Zurich same weekend, but surely they are too big an act?

Any of ye seasoned EP & festival goers know with good degree of accuracy whether the rest of the bands added be much smaller/Irish acts or Body and Soul DJ's?

I have zero festival experience but whats on the lineup so far is barely a day of music and they will certainly need more big(ish) bands to sell the remaining tickets after they are done selling the early birds

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Folzy

Can you buy more than one ticket with your code?

Sorry I know ive seen this on the thread before i just cant find it in the last few pages...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ciaranf92

Folzy wrote: »
    Can you buy more than one ticket with your code?

Sorry I know ive seen this on the thread before i just cant find it in the last few pages...

Yes you can buy two per code.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mgkelly

Folzy wrote: »
    I have zero festival experience but whats on the lineup so far is barely a day of music and they will certainly need more big(ish) bands to sell the remaining tickets after they are done selling the early birds
    Yes, would tend to agree with this. not enough names on here. Though, in saying that, I very much doubt there'll be any very major acts. Maybe some good, middle rank ones. Happy to be proven wrong, however!
    The Orb would be very nice.....!

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

here's the announcements last year after the initial launch at the start of March:

April 19th
    Patti Smith
    Richard Hawley
    Crystal Castles
    SBTRKT
    Grandaddy
    Squarepusher
    The Maccabees
    Gavin Friday
    Van Dyke Parks
    Michael Kiwanuka
    The Jezabels
    Dublin Gospel Choir
    Eagle and the Worm
    In Tua Nua.

June 27th:
    Wild Beasts
    Grimes
    Villagers
    Explosions In The Sky
    The Antlers
    Dexys
    Ben Howard
    The Staves
    Bombay Bicycle Club
    Andy Irvine
    Donal Lunny
    Liam O’ Flynn
    Paddy Glackin
    Wallis Bird
    Nell Bryden
    Bellowhead
    The Vaccines

July 25th - Little Big Tent:
    James Murphy,
    The Juan Maclean,
    Pat Mahoney,
    Caribou Vs. Four Tet,
    Rustie,
    Hudson Mohawke,
    Junior Boys,
    Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs,
    Bassnectar,
    John Talabot,
    Catz N Dogz,
    Amine Edge,
    Dj W!Ld,
    Mmoths,
    Le Galaxie,
    Not Squares,
    Ships,
    White Collar Boy,
    Subaltern,
    Orquesta,
    Lil Dave;
    T3,
    Hidden Agenda DJs.

August 8th:
    Kimbra
    Cold Specks
    Of Monsters & Men
    Lianne La Havas
    Perfume Genius
    Richie Hawtin
    Mark Lanegan

Lee “Scratch Perry” & Max Romeo
    God Is An Astronaut
    Jeffrey Lewis
    David Kitt Plays ‘The Big Romance’
    Tieranniesaur
    Cloud Castle Lake
    Cathy Davey
    Squarehead
    Bats
    Turn
    Delorentos
    The Fat Lady Sings
    Kormac’s Big Band
    Matador
    Cranes
    Katie Kim
    Ham Sandwich
    Cashier No 9
    Dry The River
    Trinity Orchestra Plays Dark Side Of The Moon
    The Kanyu Tree
    The Riptide Movement
    The Wonder Villains
    Ryan Sheridan
    A Plastic Rose
    Gareth Dunlop
    Kid Karate
    Rainy Boy Sleep

August 16th - Body and Soul:
    Paul Buchanan
    Andy Irvine, Donal Lunny, Liam O Flynn & Paddy Glackin aka LAPD
    Junior Boys
    Breton
    When Saints Go Machine
    Nightwave (DJ set)
    Jesse Boykins lll
    RocketNumberNine
    Dark Dark Dark
    SertOne
    D E N A
    The Spook of the Thirteenth Lock
    Mmoths
    Donal Dineen
    ViperFlo
    Lewis Floyd Henry
    Seamus Fogarty
    Orchestra of Spheres
    Sunken Foal
    TR One
    John Hoban
    Cian Finn
    Mother DJs
    Dirty Dubsters
    REID
    New Jackson

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

here's the announcements last year after the initial launch at the start of March:

April 19th

June 27th:

August 8th:

good work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

It'll be grand... There's already stuff I wanna see and I was going to go regardless to be quite Ann Frank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Some reviews of the Knifes shows in Germany last week, some digged it and some didn't it seems, it will be interesting to see how it transmits to the festival stage.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I'd be pretty heart broken to think there wasn't anyone bigger than fat boy slim on the Friday night
    Saying that i always miss some good djs in electric arena cos I'm at the main stage for the last act

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sdgbt

Some reviews of the Knifes shows in Germany last week, some digged it and some didn't it seems, it will be interesting to see how it transmits to the festival stage.

I love the knife and have done so for years, but I'm starting to get a tad worried now!

From the above link:
    Songs seem to be intentionally ‘destroyed’, by the group leaving the stage or not moving at all (or moving very cheesy). They seem to perfectly omit every accentuation, every chance to create atmosphere. It was as if they tried to underline that everything was playback. Just real sloppy dancing. And with Karin’s & Olof’s occasionally smiles and grins it felt like a big, virtuous delivered “**** you!”.

ETA:
    A few tracks later and the playful/absurd dancing started, making the playback nature of the show obvious. I did not mind at all at first, noticing the rotation of the performers as singers/drummers etc - the message was clear: there are no stars in this show - but a community of equals with one voice fighting for the same thing.

This would have been ok as one point among many - as one tool in the band's repertoire to get a message across. But as the dominant format for the majority of the concert it just left me, the people I was with and those surrounding me at the concert, rather flat. We were brought back to our circumstance at a critical remove: bodies stacked in a big hall listening to playback music while a couple of people bounced around on stage in carefully designed costumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dncl

F2MNvAC

Cyril Hahn confirmed today changed his cover to that on facebook delighted to see. Anyone also have any idea if Grimes will be playing this year or what the possibilitys of her being added to the lineup are was gutted i missed her last year. And I know this sounds kinda desperate does anyone have a spare code there not using or any photos i could use to get a code trying to save a bitta cash here any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

dncl wrote: »
    F2MNvAC

Cyril Hahn confirmed today changed his cover to that on facebook delighted to see. Anyone also have any idea if Grimes will be playing this year or what the possibilitys of her being added to the lineup are was gutted i missed her last year. And I know this sounds kinda desperate does anyone have a spare code there not using or any photos i could use to get a code trying to save a bitta cash here any help would be greatly appreciated.

I didn't think much of grimes last year to be honest, think I rem hearing she'd some of her stuff stolen n maybe that affected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

endainoz wrote: »

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

I have just popped out from beneath my rock today to get supplies, when were the The Knife added?!? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mgkelly

mutley18 wrote: »
    I have just popped out from beneath my rock today to get supplies, when were the The Knife added?!? :)

Later the evening of initial announcement - when listings posted on EP website.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrVoracious

Rfrip wrote: »
    I'd be pretty heart broken to think there wasn't anyone bigger than fat boy slim on the Friday night
    Saying that i always miss some good djs in electric arena cos I'm at the main stage for the last act

Emm are my bloody valentine considered big? Theyre playing on friday I think. I'd consider the festival a success if I just saw them and went straight home after! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

April 19th

June 27th:

August 8th:

Wow thanks for that - very incisive! So plenty of great acts added after. I know this year was already late but still optimistic that some more great acts be added.

Seeing that list also makes me lament how much I missed last year ha! First year at it and I think I focused too much on the boozing side, which I'll try to amend this year! Did get to see The Cure though which I never thought I would :D

Advertisement