Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I think everyone got to see the Cure they played for like 3 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Knife video that was blocked in the other link, Olaf is in red and silver and Karin is in green with gold shorts, bizarre really they seem to be dancing to the CD rather than actually performing the track.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

The Knife video that was blocked in the other link, Olaf is in red and silver and Karin is in green with gold shorts, bizarre really they seem to be dancing to the CD rather than actually performing the track.

Wow. I mean, I know it's supposed to be bad but wow. That is sh*t I don't care what statement they are trying to make. They're basically just playing a cd and then dancing terribly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I'm a big big fan of The Knife, but that's cringeworthy stuff right there! TBH, I think the new album is fairly sh1t too. There is a really good LP in there somewhere but their arrogance and self importance got in the way. While I'm on a little rant I absolutely hate Pitchfork! didn't they give Shaking The Habitual 'Best New Music'? I can guarantee you if that was their debut album it would of got a 'Turkey of The Week' Pitchfork are pretentious cnuts! still love The Knife pre 2013 though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

all this talk of The Knife I had to sit down and take a listen to their stuff (sorry, I'm out of the loop:eek:).
    Perhaps I'm still out of the loop but I can't see what all the fuss/hype is about them? Is it cool to say you love The Knife or something? I obviously don't get the young uns these days ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

This may come off as a little rude but am I the only one on this thread who's thinking "enough with the Knife already"?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

nocoverart wrote: »
    I'm a big big fan of The Knife, but that's cringeworthy stuff right there! TBH, I think the new album is fairly sh1t too. There is a really good LP in there somewhere but their arrogance and self importance got in the way. While I'm on a little rant I absolutely hate Pitchfork! didn't they give Shaking The Habitual 'Best New Music'? I can guarantee you if that was their debut album it would of got a 'Turkey of The Week' Pitchfork are pretentious cnuts! still love The Knife pre 2013 though :p

New album isn't that accessible by comparison to silent shout - I still think it's very good - surely it was an indicator to people of how the new shows would go down - I wouldn't call them pretentious either - they've always had a very clear set if ideals that they follow and have barely ever played live, they've always subscribed to these ideas etc - they can do what they want after all it's their music and their show - I wouldn't knock em for trying to move beyond just being an electronica band pumping out their tunes, it's not how they see themselves

http://theknife.net/2013/04/shaking-the-habitual-show/

Pretty
    Much sets out how the shows are going to go down - they probably should have released it before they sold tickets however

50% in hamburg loved it, I got into it, definitely wasn't what I wanted or expected though. Looking forward to really getting into it at the picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

-=al=- wrote: »
    I think everyone got to see the Cure they played for like 3 hours!

nope, both myself and the GF missed entire set. No idea how guessing it had something to with a mixture of Salty Dog and Jager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Fago123 wrote: »
    This may come off as a little rude but am I the only one on this thread who's thinking "enough with the Knife already"?

You are not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

endainoz wrote: »
    Anyone here listening to much chvrches lately? Really catchy synth pop stuff! Looking forward to the album when it comes out!

I've become addicted to the EP! Gutted I missed it's release on Vinyl for Record Store Day. I'm in Boston for the summer and they're playing there for $18. Can't wait to see them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Anyone else been checking out Parquet Courts ? Ive listened to a lot of their stuff over the last 2 days and have had to skip so many tracks because I either got bored or got annoyed at the insane amount of guitar feedback they use in some songs.

Not great IMO so will be giving them a miss, their sound is so.. flat ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

all this talk of The Knife I had to sit down and take a listen to their stuff (sorry, I'm out of the loop:eek:).
    Perhaps I'm still out of the loop but I can't see what all the fuss/hype is about them? Is it cool to say you love The Knife or something? I obviously don't get the young uns these days ;)

deep cuts and silent shout are 2 of the best electronic albums ever. Go away with your 'is it cool to like the knife' schtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭endainoz

Korvanica wrote: »
    Anyone else been checking out Parquet Courts ? Ive listened to a lot of their stuff over the last 2 days and have had to skip so many tracks because I either got bored or got annoyed at the insane amount of guitar feedback they use in some songs.

Not great IMO so will be giving them a miss, their sound is so.. flat ..

Been listening to a lot of them actually, overuse of feedback aside it's a really good album, will be checking them out for sure. I am a bit of a sucker for a catchy riff though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭endainoz

I've become addicted to the EP! Gutted I missed it's release on Vinyl for Record Store Day. I'm in Boston for the summer and they're playing there for $18. Can't wait to see them!

Same really great stuff, you should check out their video for "lies" on YouTube, not on iTunes but it could be their strongest song right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

I don't get the knife ... There I've said it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

Yeah, in fairness really enough about them, they're not even headlining :rolleyes:

In other news, Savages album is streaming on their website and it's really really good, Aggressive all girl post punk. Definite goer, especially if they get a good Arena slot! I've been getting into Polica as well in my research. Very nice band. Very laid back electro-pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Hammer91

Really hope Babyshambles get added to this!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

MattD wrote: »
    Yeah, in fairness really enough about them, they're not even headlining :rolleyes:

In other news, Savages album is streaming on their website and it's really really good, Aggressive all girl post punk. Definite goer, especially if they get a good Arena slot! I've been getting into Polica as well in my research. Very nice band. Very laid back electro-pop.

Do you always look for headline type bands as your choice of music? and Polica are bland as sh1t! weak vocals and auto-tuned to death.

What are the chances of Travis playing? I know they haven't done a lot recently but they have a new album out in August. Have they ever done Electric Picnic or Oxegen before?

Would also like to see Editors and a few Irish bands added to the lineup too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

WTF! I just put up a review and a live clip of The Knife from their German shows last week and everyones harping on about too much Knife in the thread. They havent toured for seven years, so whats wrong with a little idle speculation. UMG seemed to have blocked that video now anyway, who the hell are UMG anyway, is that the Universal Music Group or something, they took down my Crystal Castles clip from EP last year too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Electric Picnic ‏@EPfestival
    We've got more names coming before the end of the month. Exact date will be revealed next week!

The discounted ticket sale ends on May 27th so I would guess there will be another announcement a few days before this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

recyclebin wrote: »
    The discounted ticket sale ends on May 27th so I would guess there will be another announcement a few days before this.

Or after , could force people to buy tickets to be on the safe side

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

Just got my ticket there earlier, happy days :) Roll on Aug 30th, it cant come soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Or after , could force people to buy tickets to be on the safe side

Yeah I was thinking that aswell.. I reckon they'll have a at least 1 announcement for each discounted ticket period though so 1 between now and May 27th, say 2 between May 28th and July 28th, and then 1 between July 29th and the weekend of EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

I was thinking, in 2012 Orbital played the late night slot after The Cure, so could this late night slot be filled this year by FBS and could we be seeing the announcement of another headliner soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Wonder how tickets are selling? Do ye reckon it'l sell out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Emm are my bloody valentine considered big? Theyre playing on friday I think. I'd consider the festival a success if I just saw them and went straight home after! :D

How did you hear that they're playing on the Friday? I'd love to see them again but was hoping they'd be on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I was thinking, in 2012 Orbital played the late night slot after The Cure, so could this late night slot be filled this year by FBS and could we be seeing the announcement of another headliner soon?
    FBS is the Friday night headliner.

if it's going by previous years, there would be a big dance headliner on after Bjork, but most of those type of acts (Chemical Bros, Underworld, Leftfield, Orbital) aren't really touring this summer. I was thinking maybe Basement Jaxx, as they're touring festivals this summer, but it seems like they're in the UK on the Saturday night (their own website has the date for Friday, but the festival itself says they're the Saturday night headliner...).

they could just have no dance act on the main stage after Bjork though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

they could just have no dance act on the main stage after Bjork though....

That'd be a shame, usually one of my favourite parts of the weekend. Was hoping they might get Paul Kalkbrenner or Justice for it but Zurich Openair festival updated its day-by-day and they're both on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

recyclebin wrote: »
    What are the chances of Travis playing?

I think the chances are reasonably high. New album out Aug 19th, and tour planned, but no dates yet. Festival would be a nice way for them to warm up to a full set.

I'd quite like to see them on the line-up. Their albums are nothing to get over excited about, but they are a really good live band.

Advertisement