Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

hello there people, heading to the picnic this year for the first time, hitting 40 this year and the mrs has reluctantly agreed to one last hurrah, it been awhile since i have been to a festival, would have been a regular at witness/oxygen before the spides took over. the thought of camping fills me with a slight feeling of dread now, seems to be plenty of alternatives at the picnic albeit a bit expensive, anyone any recommendtions, any advice greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

It's grand in the campsite, I am a bit of a festival veteran too and don't enjoy camping with eejits (bad experience in punchestown a few years back - never again!!), anyway make sure and bring all your 'creature comforts' - especially if your missus is not used to roughing it. As you get older these things become more important!! A tip I would suggest is bringing a little wheelie trolley to stack up all your stuff on because it's pretty tough carrying everything you need for a comfortable weekend on your back.

When I was 18 i would happily eat nothing, drink a slab of beer and sleep in a plastic bag in a pool of water in a leaky 2 man tent with 4 mates all weekend. These days I have my trolley, comfy bed and sturdy tent!

There's a real mixed crowd there - lots of people in 30's / 40's not like a lot of the other festivals, and there is loads of stuff there to appeal to older people as well. You never know - your last hurrah could turn into an annual thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mgkelly

hello there people, heading to the picnic this year for the first time, hitting 40 this year and the mrs has reluctantly agreed to one last hurrah, it been awhile since i have been to a festival, would have been a regular at witness/oxygen before the spides took over. the thought of camping fills me with a slight feeling of dread now, seems to be plenty of alternatives at the picnic albeit a bit expensive, anyone any recommendtions, any advice greatly appreciated.

I was a latecomer to festival going. Been to 2 x EPs- 2010 & 2011. Going again this year. Stayed in the festival 'boutique camping' areas both years - MyHab in '10 & Tangerine Fields in '11. Good experience all round.
    Have booked Pink Moon camping this year. Tent is fine - just wrap up warm! Was bloody freezing, the nights in 2011! As someone says, bring your comforts. However, travel light, too. No probs, really, with major spider-ism when I've been there.
    A two man tent will go grand for you & wife.
    My wife knows better than to go!! Hope to entice my son (11) and/or daughter (9) to go with me this year.

Martin:D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

Sky King wrote: »
    It's grand in the campsite, I am a bit of a festival veteran too and don't enjoy camping with eejits (bad experience in punchestown a few years back - never again!!), anyway make sure and bring all your 'creature comforts' - especially if your missus is not used to roughing it. As you get older these things become more important!! A tip I would suggest is bringing a little wheelie trolley to stack up all your stuff on because it's pretty tough carrying everything you need for a comfortable weekend on your back.

When I was 18 i would happily eat nothing, drink a slab of beer and sleep in a plastic bag in a pool of water in a leaky 2 man tent with 4 mates all weekend. These days I have my trolley, comfy bed and sturdy tent!

There's a real mixed crowd there - lots of people in 30's / 40's not like a lot of the other festivals, and there is loads of stuff there to appeal to older people as well. You never know - your last hurrah could turn into an annual thing!!

cheers fella, food for thought, its getting to the stage it will be a soriee with a few lads, the mrs has reneged but has given the go ahead, happy days, cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I can't recommend the boutique camping enough. I know it's very expensive but it's just so worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

A two man tent will go grand for you & wife.
    I would really disagree with this. When 2 people pack all thier gear into a 2 man tent there's barely enough room to get into it.

For 2 people at a festival you'd want a 4 man minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

At least an extra man each for bags and stuff is ideal... hell I use a 4 person tent for myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Has anyone listened to SOAK? She's deadly.

I think Cat Power should be added, she's due for an appearance on our shores soon enough like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Has anyone listened to SOAK? She's deadly.

I think Cat Power should be added, she's due for an appearance on our shores soon enough like.

She makes me jealous she is so good. Really brings out the bitter failed artist in me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mgkelly

-=al=- wrote: »
    At least an extra man each for bags and stuff is ideal... hell I use a 4 person tent for myself!
    Sky King wrote: »
    I would really disagree with this. When 2 people pack all thier gear into a 2 man tent there's barely enough room to get into it.

For 2 people at a festival you'd want a 4 man minimum.

Jeez, dudes, do you take the kitchen sink, too? For me, its a change of cacks, a few tee-shirts, a few layers for if it is cold, a few bits of grub, and Bob's yer uncle! I like to travel light for such affairs. I guess if one was bringing swalley, you might find it bulks up a bit!
    Interested to hear what one person puts in a 4 man tent!!;)

Martin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

mgkelly wrote: »
    Jeez, dudes, do you take the kitchen sink, too? For me, its a change of cacks, a few tee-shirts, a few layers for if it is cold, a few bits of grub, and Bob's yer uncle! I like to travel light for such affairs. I guess if one was bringing swalley, you might find it bulks up a bit!
    Interested to hear what one person puts in a 4 man tent!!;)

Martin

4 man for 2 people definitely! Ill be bringing mine this year - complete with giant silver cock that some mangler spray painted on it last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Depends on the tent. Some "2 man" barely qualify as such but I've had some ones which I've had no problem sharing. 4 man is handy if you've to share with a fussy camper though. Once you go over 4 man in size the weight goes up massively so pay attention to that if you want to go big.

If you are doing the first time camping with a bunch of friends someone will suggest all of you going on on some 9 person monstrosity. Enjoy having no privacy, a massive 20kg to haul around, hours trying to put it up/take it down and then the problem of who gets to keep it at the end. Also good luck finding a space big enough for it if you are going in at all late. These are basically 3 x 3 man tents stuck together with a central porch area so 3 x 3 man tents and a gazebo will do the same with a lot more flexibility and probably not be that much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

hello there people, heading to the picnic this year for the first time, hitting 40 this year ......the thought of camping fills me with a slight feeling of dread now, seems to be plenty of alternatives at the picnic albeit a bit expensive, anyone any recommendtions, any advice greatly appreciated.

The camping and getting the stuff there is the hardest part even still for me I think paying +€200 p/p for camping is madness.

As a reg. camp site vet here's my essential top 10 tips;

1: Get a trolley with large wheels to help with the trek in, if travelling by car take enough stuff into the camp site for say one day leave the rest in the car. Keep the initial load as light as possible.

2: Again if in a car pack two bags, a tent & a car bag. Should things go tits up with either you'll have a back up. Spare clothes especially.

3: Get a good tent complete with a hallway, the hallway gives multiple benefits, room to store stuff, a place to sit should it rain, a place to take off mucky boots or stand up while changing clothes.

4: Get an air mattress, you can usually pick one up in the camp site shops inflated for about 20-30€ well worth it + you will need x2 sleeping bags per person.

5: For me ear plugs are essential, the sound of people walking practically inches from my head is really weird + blocks out the odd wonder wall murder!!.

6: Most of us aren't use to being outdoors for an entire weekend so if u want to avoid mega chap lips 24hrs in don't forget lip balm/vaseline.

7: Obviously don't pitch the tent in a hollow, choose smooth flat ground if possible, stay away from fences/urinals & don't camp under a flood light as most of them have noisy generators.

8: If possible try not to camp beside large groups they tend to be less friendly, younger & untrustworthy.

9: Don't be a guy rope dick, if you really need to fit them fold them in half and keep them tight to the tent base. Some try to close off paths between their tents, fine during the day, but disaster in the dark, people will trip on the ropes either falling on or ripping holes in the tent.

10: Some tend to throw empty cans all around their tent, instead throw them in a bag and you won't have the clinking & crushing sound from passersby during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Rfrip

The journey from the car to tent is so hard but nothing beats that feeling when ur all set up, sitting down having that first can knowing that the weekend is only beginning......

Jesus I can't wait!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Jesus the pink moon tents are pricey.

The trick is to have a friend who splashes out on the fancy tents as it always acts as a hub for everyone and it's a nice way-point...

The last tent I borught to E.P was a 4 man tent because it was in Home Store and More for €4! Worked a treat... There is 2 of us in a 4 man tent with an airbed and tis grand! I don't bring too much but it's nice to go back to an airbed at the end of the morning/night/day/whenever you end up sleeping

Some tents you do see are absolutely tiny and they just look downright uncomfortable

Actually I had the 4eu one in 2011 and last year I had the dunnes one for 12!

It worked fine... but a thing i use is tarp that was originally for a trampoline cover and put it over the top of the tent... it keeps any cheapy tent dry no prob

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    4 man for 2 people definitely! Ill be bringing mine this year - complete with giant silver cock that some mangler spray painted on it last year

Snap! Some mother trucker sprayed a giant silver cock on our 12 man tent last year as well. The one girl that was staying with us lads didn't find it in the least bit funny, the rest of us laughed though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Mr.S wrote: »
    Nearer the time of EP most of the shops in town do sales on camping stuff, Dunnes usually have a little area dedicated to festivals for everything you need, mats, sleeping bags, wellies etc. They do seriously cheap tents but anything more then a shower and they look like they'd blow away!

Just on this, I noticed the big Dunnes on Henry Street have their festival stuff out now and fairly cheap. I'd stay away from their tents - but the wellies and chairs are perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

maximoose wrote: »
    Just on this, I noticed the big Dunnes on Henry Street have their festival stuff out now and fairly cheap. I'd stay away from their tents - but the wellies and chairs are perfect.

The wellies are really uncomfortable though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

-=al=- wrote: »
    Even if people are saying they hit play and went for it, so be it. I'd rather they done something than just hit play and done **** all.

Love The knife, love Fever ray... It's way more than enough to get me going to E.P... There is so much more fun, love and activities than the music.... Just enjoy at the festival and everything will be perfectly fine.

Really like this one, will still go and see them.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

LOL at people still talking about The Knife in here, the narrow minded folk won't be happy. Been listening to another Swedish band called Goat lately and I think they'd be made for the Body & Soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SyPyBHJmiI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Queens of the Stone Age have a new song out, I still think they'll be announced for Picnic.

Conbhar wrote: »
    Snap! Some mother trucker sprayed a giant silver cock on our 12 man tent last year as well. The one girl that was staying with us lads didn't find it in the least bit funny, the rest of us laughed though :)

It was so obvious who had done it as their own tents were covered in paint - they were all kicked out a couple of hours later for their early morning creativity!

Had to cover it up as the GF is refusing to stay in it this year otherwise! Personally I liked it :)

My festival must haves:

4 man for 2
    Air mattress
    Ear plugs
    Shower gear
    Shorts - dont ever bother wearing jeans cause it rains your stuck with wet jeans - duh
    Rain jacket
    Milk thistle - pre load the week before
    5 Htp
    Berrocca
    Money for food - never bring any with me
    Wine bag that you can sling over your shoulder
    Painkillers
    Kalms
    Furry hat
    Old Nokia phone for 3 day battery!

EP will be my 18th festival :)
    Small matter of getting Life festival, castlepalooza or b&s out of the way first

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭phunks

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    5 Htp

Do you find this actually works?

phunks wrote: »
    Do you find this actually works?

It absolutely does for me - have you tried it before? I find it resets you to a normal
    level of contentedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Next announcement on the 21st May

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

390594_488666601201724_1881892882_n.png

Let the new speculation begin..........................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I really feel that The Prodigy might be on the cards for the late Saturday night slot.

Advertisement