Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RedRebel92

any idea when the announcement will be made??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Id say they will wait till after Longtitude announce anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

it's usually the 1st/2nd week of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Longitude announcement will clearly impact EP, however I would say its a bigger rival for Forbidden Fruit to be honest....

Will be interesting to see what the music line-up is ,and if Forbidden Fruit is going ahead.

Could we be looking at something like...
    * Longitude for the 30-somethings and less "big into their music" festival goers
    * Forbidden Fruit for the dance kids & Pitchfork hipsters - several of their bookings last year seemed either to be Pitchfork-friendly or cater for fans of electronic music....

That said, the only act I've seen mentioned in a fairly concrete way so far for Longitude is Mmoths - not so good for my theory :)

I'm thinking Longitude will have more sideshows to the music whereas Forbidden Fruit will be all about the music with the same set of fairly run of the mill food stalls etc. as last year. It didn't have any of the "frills" you get at EP and also Body and Soul...

Hot tubs in Marlay Park in July perhaps???

Any other thoughts on how Longitude and Forbidden Fruit will look to differentiate? (aside from one going ahead and the other not!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Hot tubs in Marlay Park in July perhaps???

Any other thoughts on how Longitude and Forbidden Fruit will look to differentiate? (aside from one going ahead and the other not!)

its likely gonna try mirror latiude. so going by that...

dye the sheep multi coloured
    family friendly- playgrounds and babysitting services
    think picnic blankets over mosh pits
    better bars - wine bars, and sponsored spirit bars
    lots of art projects scattered about
    spoken word stage

problem however if it attracts the regular marley crowd its gonna flop badly. As long as they watch who they book in, and the acts compliment the festivals ethos it will be great, beautiful spot for this sort of gig.

• Advertisement

Forbidden Fruit will be announced March 5th, about 2 weeks later than it was announced last year, and as EP is usually announced around the 1st/2nd week of March, it wouldn't surprise me if the EP announcement will now be mid/end of March, as POD probably wouldn't announce both within a week of each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Forbidden Fruit will be announced March 5th, about 2 weeks later than it was announced last year, and as EP is usually announced around the 1st/2nd week of March, it wouldn't surprise me if the EP announcement will now be mid/end of March, as POD probably wouldn't announce both within a week of each other?

I'm still worried about EP even going ahead.. No updates on FB or Twitter since January 21st.. You'd think they'd be trying to reassure people it's going ahead/create a buzz ahead of any announcement in March!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Eod100 wrote: »
    Looks like The National won't be playing EP anyway.. Playing their only Irish date this year in Cork in June.

That's incorrect.

They are playing their only Irish show of the Summer.

And that is a huge difference.

Don't expect them at EP but fully expect them later in Vicar St or the 02.

Looks like The National won't be playing EP anyway.. Playing their only Irish date this year in Cork in June.
    lordgoat wrote: »
    That's incorrect.

They are playing their only Irish show of the Summer.

And that is a huge difference.

Don't expect them at EP but fully expect them later in Vicar St or the 02.

Yeah you're right.I misread the press release. Tried to edit my post but can't for some reason..

Have heard talk of 02 alright. Was kinda skeptical when I head it first but then again I didn't think they'd play somewhere like The Marquee in Cork so who knows!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Yeah you're right.I misread the press release. Tried to edit my post but can't for some reason..

Have heard talk of 02 alright. Was kinda skeptical when I head it first but then again I didn't think they'd play somewhere like The Marquee in Cork so who knows!

Really? Where have you heard of 02 talk?

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    Really? Where have you heard of 02 talk?

Just meant I've seen people speculate on it on other forums and stuff. Nothing official or anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Seraphim1

If you wanted to generate a lot of interest and rumour fed panic that the event was not going ahead and then announce that the 10th EP was likely going to be the last one and so ensure that you sell out to all the past attendees 'because its the last one, you've got to go one last time, it's where we met, nostalgia weekend, it's going to be a massive send off party, I want to return diarmuid Gavin's balls, because its the picnic etc etc' you couldn't do a better job promotional job than say nothing as they are doing. It's on , we are set up for it, see you all there. A sell out will also probably get another two years backing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

I'm not an economist or a market analyst but I don't think you are right. My believe is that with the early bird set up of old they created a base audience of people who had tickets and were going no matter what. Once that was in place those people pestered their friends to get tickets because they didn't want to go alone. The timing of those early birds also corresponded with just before Christmas were the tickets were often presents to each other amongst couples or from parents to their children. Without that initial base and the situation of the economy at the moment unless the tickets come out a surprisingly low price point and the lineup is really amazing the likelihood of a sell out is remote.

Toast wrote: »
    I'm not an economist or a market analyst but I don't think you are right. My believe is that with the early bird set up of old they created a base audience of people who had tickets and were going no matter what. Once that was in place those people pestered their friends to get tickets because they didn't want to go alone. The timing of those early birds also corresponded with just before Christmas were the tickets were often presents to each other amongst couples or from parents to their children. Without that initial base and the situation of the economy at the moment unless the tickets come out a surprisingly low price point and the lineup is really amazing the likelihood of a sell out is remote.

Yeah, agree. Plus by delaying the earlybirds, people who were planning on buying them could have bought eb tickets for other festivals at this stage..

Don't see it selling out at all - emigration, unemployment and decrease in disposable income for pretty much everyone has put paid to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

the_log on the electric picnic forum says this is definitely going ahead this year. he/she never been wrong before so i'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Marseyred

Stradballyhall.ie have listed Electric picnic as one of their events this year so I'm sure this emans that they at least have venue booked??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its defo going ahead, I got a email regarding work at it

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭exilec

its defo going ahead, I got a email regarding work at it

Great news... thanks !!
    was it from volunteers@electricpicnic.ie..?
    didnt hear anything back from them

exilec wrote: »
    Great news... thanks !!
    was it from volunteers@electricpicnic.ie..?
    didnt hear anything back from them

no festival republic. tho who knows that could change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭The Guardian

Line up needs to be announced quickly, very quickly
    people have only so much loyalty to the event

• Advertisement

Line up needs to be announced quickly, very quickly
    people have only so much loyalty to the event

Yeah and the EP twitter/fb page being inactive for more than a month isn't exactly helping things either!

Line-up was out on the 1st of March last year. Don't see them sticking to that date this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭The Guardian

be cool if they did.
    call in the press with 24 hrs notice
    then announce the biggest EP of all time, ever
    super festival imo
    really brought something different to the scene in ireland

just think about it - 10/12 yrs ago 80k people were wandering out to slane to see the likes of bon jovi, robbie williams, stereophonics
    fooking hell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Will we see Longitude, Forbidden Fruit and Electric Picnic announced all within a week of each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rastadoyle

cant wait for lineup to be announced

honru wrote: »
    Will we see Longitude, Forbidden Fruit and Electric Picnic announced all within a week of each other?

When's Longtitude's out? Tomorrow yeah? And FF on the 5th March. So maybe EP will be in or around the 12th alright. I won't hold my breath though! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Coming up on March now and still no word. It's not looking good.

honru wrote: »
    I'd say 2 weeks after the FF announcement, as that's how it's been previous years...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rastadoyle

yep longitude announced tomorow

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Marseyred

Just checking my glamping option for this years EP and yurtsandsqurts.co.uk have a statement saying the line up for EP is due to be announced around 10th March!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

The Longitude announcement not overly strong in my opinion... really hope EP is full steam ahead and its line-up packs more of a punch.

I think it will be on, let's see who they've booked!

Advertisement